HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be the Flyers' opening night starting goalie?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Flyers' opening night starting goalie?
Ray Emery 28 31.11%
Steve Mason 62 68.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
This thread inspired my next blog entry on HF Loungers.
You're pretty good at words

08-20-2013, 10:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
If we have to rely upon Danis as insurance b/c both Emery and Mason falter... the Flyers goaltending situation is going to be the longest running soap opera in the U.S. since Guiding Light....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Did Homer have to wander the streets of Quebec to find Danis? I honestly had no idea the guy sill played & hell I kind of forgot we even signed him in the first place.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 08-20-2013 at 11:04 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Did Homer have to wonder the streets of Quebec to find Danis? I honestly had no idea the guy sill played & hell I kind of forgot we even signed him in the first place.
Wasn't he the best goalie in the AHL last season? I'll take that for the Phantoms all day long. Heeter won't be that good

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Wasn't he the best goalie in the AHL last season? I'll take that for the Phantoms all day long. Heeter won't be that good
After looking him up he had a decent year in the AHL last year posting a .911SV% in 47 games. I was also getting him confused with Marc Denis the former Colorado & Montreal goaltender.

He's not a bad minor league addition but if he's starting an NHL game for us we truly are ****ed.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:11 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
After looking him up he had a decent year in the AHL last year posting a .911SV% in 47 games. I was also getting him confused with Marc Denis the former Colorado & Montreal goaltender.

He's not a bad minor league addition but if he's starting an NHL game for us we truly are ****ed.
Don't worry, I'm sure Boucher is on speed dial.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:25 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Great stuff! Look forward to the next installment.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:09 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure Boucher is on speed dial.
If I remember correctly, he signed in Europe

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Fragmuffin

That is right, he is in Switzerland, and with Michael Leighton having signed in the Ukraine it is safe to assume they wont be coming back (at least for a while )
PS my vote goes to Mason... hope he picks up where he left off!

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Great stuff! Look forward to the next installment.
Thanks for your encouragement, Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus
You're pretty good at words
Thanks. I try to wright goodly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91

I'd agree with your last sentence if the words "regularly" or "5 or more" were included. Overall, I see the Mason-Emery tandem as moderate risk / higher than moderate reward: Mason could find his game again and if Emery stays healthy, he'll be a positive element. One of my predictions in the long-gone thread of this nature was that Danis would appear in 5 or more games, and while I'm anxious about this possibility, it's a lot rosier a picture than the past few years. Just the fact that Laviolette has a reliable back-up on the bench means he has options other than "run the $5.667 million franchise goaltender into the ground, even if he is far from playing like a franchise goaltender." And if Emery – or Mason, for that matter – goes on IR, Danis on the bench or even spot starting the odd game isn't the end of the world.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

We simply better not have a 3 ring circus with this latest installment of goalies. It seems everytime I'm listening to NHL Network Radio on Sirius/XM they are talking about Bob and raving about him and saying how they doubt his season was a one-off.

This morning driving into work they were interviewing Nick Foligno ...they asked him about Bob and they said he was really the heart of the team and it was mainly because of his work ethic. They say that they are amazed in practice and in games how he never gives up on the puck. He's never seen a goaltender like him. John Davidson was also interviewed a few weeks back and asked about Bob and he said basically the same things. Also noted how he's seen some great goalies in his day like Richter and Beezer and Bob is right there.....sigh.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
We simply better not have a 3 ring circus with this latest installment of goalies. It seems everytime I'm listening to NHL Network Radio on Sirius/XM they are talking about Bob and raving about him and saying how they doubt his season was a one-off.

This morning driving into work they were interviewing Nick Foligno ...they asked him about Bob and they said he was really the heart of the team and it was mainly because of his work ethic. They say that they are amazed in practice and in games how he never gives up on the puck. He's never seen a goaltender like him. John Davidson was also interviewed a few weeks back and asked about Bob and he said basically the same things. Also noted how he's seen some great goalies in his day like Richter and Beezer and Bob is right there.....sigh.
I know this isn't a BOB thread, but good god, I don't think I'd ever get over it if Bob continues to be a lights out goalie in the NHL.

That said, I believe Mason will be the starter, but I can see him and Emery switching periods of good and bad play. Hopefully Lavi rides the hot hand, and hopefully niether get injured

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Hiesenberg

Saw a video of Mason's mask for this year. That guy likes him some horror/zombie art.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Saw a video of Mason's mask for this year. That guy likes him some horror/zombie art.
Saw The Betsy Ross/Benjamic Franklin images earlier. Makes me like him more, My kind of goalie! My entire website is Zombie Themed (KevinDankoWebDesign.com), Watch the Walking Dead religiously, read the comics, watch every zombie movie.

Hopefully he doesnt goaltend like a zombie this season and we are good.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm thinking Mason to start, then very balanced all year and Emery emerges as the playoff guy. I have zero other than gut feeling to tell me that. I'm concerned Masons resurgence was just one of those "new team new attitude" things that goes away after a while.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:45 PM
flyersfan28

i think mason become a top 5 goalie this years

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
i think mason become a top 5 goalie this years
I'll have what you're having!

But seriously he definitely has the talent to be in the upper echelon of the league but talent can only take you so far. It's all mental with Mason.

I'll be happy if he posts .910SV% for the year.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:49 PM
MP92

One thing I've seen Blue Jacket's fans mention is that Mason is slow post to post yet in the 7 games I saw him play here along with videos on YT, that's flat out false. He seemed pretty agile and quick to me. Not like Bob or Quick, but still rather nimble. Then again, maybe he only appeared that way to me after having to watch Bryz's lethargic ass in net

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
One thing I've seen Blue Jacket's fans mention is that Mason is slow post to post yet in the 7 games I saw him play here along with videos on YT, that's flat out false. He seemed pretty agile and quick to me. Not like Bob or Quick, but still rather nimble. Then again, maybe he only appeared that way to me after having to watch Bryz's lethargic ass in net
I think his biggest criticism was his glove hand was considered weak coming in here. He flashed the glove at times but also had trouble hanging on to the puck too. It was a small sample size though so we'll get a better idea this upcoming season.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:03 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Bingo.

I didn't think he looked slow either, but it was a small sample and he was well rested.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 09:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Everybody says Streit is much younger than his age b/c he hasn't had as much wear and tear on his body in the NHL. Well considering Mason lost his job to Bob and the Flyers didn't make the playoffs ..Mason should have the body of a 12 year old right now. I better not hear any fatigue excuses like Bryz especially since Emery will get his fair share of starts. As far as Mason's perceived weaknesses..yeah it's mostly a confidence thing and I do recall him not being too good with his catching glove. However, he looked pretty agile to me and I liked his puck moving skills...

Old
09-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Hiesenberg

I loved his puck handling skills. How many plays did he move along with that. Dump and chase hockey worked great against Bryz because he couldn't handle the puck.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I loved his puck handling skills. How many plays did he move along with that. Dump and chase hockey worked great against Bryz because he couldn't handle the puck.
Yeah I enjoyed that and it helped our D men. What irked me was seeing Bryz in a few games after Mason was acquired making the extra effort to puck handle as well and he was ok with it although not great but it just showed how crappy of an attitude he had before he had somebody to challenge him a bit. So glad that bum is gone but so mad that we lost Bob because of him, Lavi, Leighton and Holmgren...

Old
09-10-2013, 01:52 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Mason to start against the Leafs

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Seemed things were leaning towards Emery.....but Lavi was praising Mason's effort against NJ despite the loss so it seems he has the edge for Wednesday's game especially after tonight's caps game.