HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So with all those Swedes on the team...

Old
08-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Tomas W

vCash: 500
So with all those Swedes on the team...

Now that Holland looks hellbent to turn the Red Wings to the Blue and Yellow wings, (don't know if its an overcompentation for the loss of Lidström), Detroit is set to get a lot of attention in Swedish media next season.

I wonder if we're going to see a lot of Swedish hockey fans on the Detroit forum here because of that.

Detroit Red Wings do have two Michigan boys on the team, I think it's good that they do, it's a Michigan team after all. Although Abby might be getting more minutes than he deserves if his really going to play on the first line.

What do you fans from Michigan/(or the US at least) think, does it matter were the players comes from or is it just the principle of best available players that's matter?

Last edited by SnS: 08-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:36 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

National pride is pretty low on my list of concerns. Quite low, actually. Borders are for maps.

I enjoy players that are talented, work hard, and bring respect to the Wings organization. The Swedes do all of those things.

And for those playing at home, it's a pretty impressive list. Nine total. If we're talking about a 23-man roster, that's 39% of the team.

Zetterberg
Alfredsson
Franzen
Samuelsson
Nyquist
Andersson
Kronwall
Ericsson
Gustavsson

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Tomas W

It's nothing new with many Swedes in Detroit I guess, it's how it looked like for 10 years or so, but I couldnt help to giggle about it a little. Some NHL teams seem to be magnetic, some repel Swedish players (like Edmonton) and some draws them (like Detroit).

Old
08-21-2013, 04:10 AM
DRWCountryClub

I live in Toronto, but I love the fact the Wings have always had a lot of European players(started watching in about '94).

Cheering for the Wings has actually made me pretty jaded towards Canadian hockey markets, fans, and the national teams.

I guess I like to see the Wings' players be successful, whether it's for the Wings, or nationally, so I'll generally cheer for Sweden, Russia, or whoever has Wings' players/prospects over Canada.

Plus it's always great that the Wings have been so successful and had a lot of Europeans. Really sticks it to the chest beating Canadian crowd and Cherry fanboys.

Above all else, the roster construction for the Wings has been very entertaining and successful for the last 20 years, so you can't really go wrong.

Last edited by DRWCountryClub: 08-21-2013 at 04:35 AM.
DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Tomas W

Yeah with Tatar, Datsuyk and Kindl we got some complementary euros, making DRW very heavy on euros right now.

Good to have a great Canadian prospect in Mantha now then, to counter weight a bit. A bit ironic that people critizise him for is lack of grit/agressiveness, just what the "Don Cherry" kind of people always think about euros.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:22 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I prefer Canadian players over Swedish players, and I'm swedish myself... so...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:54 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
So...? Some people prefer Canadians (or Americans) and some prefer Swedes. It's a matter of personal opinion.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:22 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
So...? Some people prefer Canadians (or Americans) and some prefer Swedes. It's a matter of personal opinion.
In regards to the opening post, he seem to think that all the swedes likes swedish players, and that there will be more swedish fans/posters because the wings got more swedish players than ever this upcoming season, I would have prefered if this team was a bit tougher and more north american.

And I also do think a lot of the casual fans in the U.S prefers north american players since it's easier to relate to them than Russians and whatnot.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:27 AM
P U L L H A R D

We have gotten rid of the "fluffier" European players lately (Hudler, Filppula), so I don't see any reason for people to be upset by having Europeans on the team. The ones that we have don't fit any type of stereotype people might want to attach to them.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
In regards to the opening post, he seem to think that all the swedes likes swedish players, and that there will be more swedish fans/posters because the wings got more swedish players than ever this upcoming season, I would have prefered if this team was a bit tougher and more north american.

And I also do think a lot of the casual fans in the U.S prefers north american players since it's easier to relate to them than Russians and whatnot.
Yes obviously I meant that absolutely every Swedish hockey fans will start cheering on Detroit.

But you have to be blind not notice the media exposure Detroit gets. A lot more than, lets say, the Kings. And the Kings aren't a bad team are they. Exposure is the best way of drawing new fans.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:32 AM
RedWingsForPresident

I personally like the Swedish players in the league. Russians are really the only ones that get on my nerves (besides Datsyuk of course).

We could have 20 Swedes for all I care. As long as we have the best possible product we can put on the ice and have a winning team, they could all be from Mexico

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I live in Toronto, but I love the fact the Wings have always had a lot of European players(started watching in about '94).

Cheering for the Wings has actually made me pretty jaded towards Canadian hockey markets, fans, and the national teams.

I guess I like to see the Wings' players be successful, whether it's for the Wings, or nationally, so I'll generally cheer for Sweden, Russia, or whoever has Wings' players/prospects over Canada.

Plus it's always great that the Wings have been so successful and had a lot of Europeans. Really sticks it to the chest beating Canadian crowd and Cherry fanboys.

Above all else, the roster construction for the Wings has been very entertaining and successful for the last 20 years, so you can't really go wrong.
I agree with everything you said especially the bold. It's funny that my friends who all like American teams also feel the same way about Canadian teams in general. Guess it's cause our favorite team is always the bad guy.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Uno Bench
Swedish citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
No it wasnt.
To bad. If it was irony it could have been somewhat funny.. There are a large amount of Swedes, cause a large amount of the best hockey players in the world are Swedes. Ther Redwing management have noticed that fact too. Like it or like it not. And should some Canadian internet tough guy go all Don Cherry at the Red Wings for having to many Swedes (Euros) then I will personally se to that problem beeing taken care of whit über-tough argumentation, hf-style

Uno Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:11 AM
bababooeyII

To further round out the Swedish love I would love to see them dump Quincey and pick up Doug Murray on the cheap.

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:14 AM
crashman

vCash: 714
I like that this team is mostly European. The European players have done a lot to get rid of the "soft" reputation over the years (but the Sedin's aren't helping). In fact, the biggest divers and whiners in this league seem to be good old Canadian boys (see Peron, Marchand, Joe Thornton). The Swedes, Fins, Czechs and Slovaks seem to be some of the most humble, hardworking and respectful guys in the league these days.

Sorry for this generalization, but a lot of the North American player these days seem like bros or d-bags. There's a few good ones, but guys like Corey Perry, Getzlaf, Pat Kane, Marchand, Tyler Seguin make me sour toward NA players. They don't make em like Stevie Y. anymore.

The only North American guys that feel any "pride" in are the players from Michigan. I don't care about USA players in general, but I have a soft spot for the Michigan guys (i.e. Miller, Abdelkader, DeKeyser, Rafalski).

Quote:
Why do you have Bloomfield Hills as your location?...poser.

Judging by a lot of your comments, I find it really hard to believe you're from Sweden.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I personally like the Swedish players in the league. Russians are really the only ones that get on my nerves (besides Datsyuk of course).

We could have 20 Swedes for all I care. As long as we have the best possible product we can put on the ice and have a winning team, they could all be from Mexico
Just curious- why do Russians get on your nerves? I kinda LOL'd reading that as it just sounds odd. Given your Swayze avatar, is it the whole original Red Dawn thing?

I always thought that, language barrier aside, Igor Kravchuk would be a great dude to grab a beer with.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:23 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Yes obviously I meant that absolutely every Swedish hockey fans will start cheering on Detroit.

But you have to be blind not notice the media exposure Detroit gets. A lot more than, lets say, the Kings. And the Kings aren't a bad team are they. Exposure is the best way of drawing new fans.
Once Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall retires it will be a lot less media exposure, thank god.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:34 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Once Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall retires it will be a lot less media exposure, thank god.
And what's wrong with media exposure? It brings in more of a fanbase, which in turn brings in more money, which in turn allows the team to spend more to build a contender.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:08 PM
lilidk

I would rather have Slovak Hossa over Franzen or even Z

lilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
That depends on how successful Nyquist and or Järnkrok gets, but it could happen as you say.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
And what's wrong with media exposure? It brings in more of a fanbase, which in turn brings in more money, which in turn allows the team to spend more to build a contender.
It brings more bandwaggoners yeah, it's better to get a solid fanbase than bandwaggoners who just heard of the team due to the major exposure.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
It brings more bandwaggoners yeah, it's better to get a solid fanbase than bandwaggoners who just heard of the team due to the major exposure.
Every team with a ton of bandwagon fans has a solid fanbase.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Not sure the data backs that up. Of the top 20 jersey sales, 6 are European or Russian. Datsyuk was the #2 seller overall, Zetterberg #11.

30% is a good representation given how Canadians make up just over 50% of the NHL and Americans 20%. So sales appear to reflect good players in relation to their frequency in the league. No tie to national preference.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:44 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Teams with tons of bandwaggoners also generally have a solid fanbase. Frankly, Detroit has a solid fanbase already.

Either way these bandwaggoners you're bemoaning bring in revenue for the team and the league, which is a good thing.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Teams with tons of bandwaggoners also generally have a solid fanbase. Frankly, Detroit has a solid fanbase already.
Yeah. but if people from lets say Sweden becomes fans because of Zetterberg, then they might lose interest once he hangs em up.

On the other hand maybe Tatar will become a superstar and attract people from his birthplace in the future, who knows. Should be most important to attract people from NA though, money wise?