HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

CoEd Leagues

Old
08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
CoEd Leagues

Just wondering why CoEd leagues are so much cheaper than mens leagues. $339 to join a CoEd league where I get 25 games. It is double the price for a mens league where you get 23 games plus playoffs. The time format is the same (12-10-10 stop time).

I'm considering joining the coed league. I'm not that great anyways. Anyone know what the ratio of men to women is on a typical CoEd team? I mean I wouldn't mind being the only guy but at the same time it might be a bit strange.. especially if the women aren't that great and I lead the team (highly unlikely).

Anyways, any insight would be great.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Chanbing96

We don't have a specific coed league women can just join the men's we have a girl on our team the just picks out the best player on the ice and follows him around running into him and get him tired lol

Chanbing96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:26 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
Just wondering why CoEd leagues are so much cheaper than mens leagues. $339 to join a CoEd league where I get 25 games. It is double the price for a mens league where you get 23 games plus playoffs. The time format is the same (12-10-10 stop time).

I'm considering joining the coed league. I'm not that great anyways. Anyone know what the ratio of men to women is on a typical CoEd team? I mean I wouldn't mind being the only guy but at the same time it might be a bit strange.. especially if the women aren't that great and I lead the team (highly unlikely).

Anyways, any insight would be great.
My league is Coed, like your potential one.

-It's cheaper than all the other leagues I know of, and "better" (20-20-20 running time except for last 5 minutes)
-Skill level in my league is probably around the bottom 4 tiers of a standard 12-tier league like you might find in the ASHL
-Ratio in my league is about 0-4 women per team. A lot of them know each other and prefer to play on the same team, so sometimes you'll go a couple games without playing against a girl, and then bam, it's a line of them.
-In my league, the distribution of talent for the girls is about the same as the guys, although I never see any game changers. For some reason, the best few in my league all play as stay-at-home D-men, so they don't show a lot of flash.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Coed is alright. Prefer men's league because in my own experience, a lot more physicality/refs let more go

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Devil Dancer

12-10-10? Eeew. That's hardly a workout.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:55 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
12-10-10? Eeew. That's hardly a workout.
It's actually a hell of a workout if you're doing it right

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Frankie Spankie

My guess is people are just more willing to pay more to just play with guys. A lot of guys I play with, a big reason, is to get away from the house and to just hang out with the guys. Everyone can just drink beers after the game and hang out talking about anything, but you kind of have to watch what you say in the company of other women. That's my guess anyway.

Speaking from personal experience too, it can be frustrating playing against girls. There's a girl in one of the leagues I play in and not that we're playing overly physical, but she's light on her skates and it's easy to knock her over. Then she gets pissed because you gave her a light shove and your team goes down a man for the penalty. Not that all girls are like that, but I'm sure some refs are going to give them a lot more leeway than anybody else in the league.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's actually a hell of a workout if you're doing it right
Maybe if you're only running two lines, but if you have three lines you're only getting around 3 shifts a period, and that's assuming you play on a team that takes short shifts.

I'll stick with my 15-15-15 league.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
My guess is people are just more willing to pay more to just play with guys. A lot of guys I play with, a big reason, is to get away from the house and to just hang out with the guys. Everyone can just drink beers after the game and hang out talking about anything, but you kind of have to watch what you say in the company of other women. That's my guess anyway.

Speaking from personal experience too, it can be frustrating playing against girls. There's a girl in one of the leagues I play in and not that we're playing overly physical, but she's light on her skates and it's easy to knock her over. Then she gets pissed because you gave her a light shove and your team goes down a man for the penalty. Not that all girls are like that, but I'm sure some refs are going to give them a lot more leeway than anybody else in the league.
One reason why I rather go all-men league. Refs less likely to give people extra wiggle room cause we're all big boys.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We don't have any dedicated mens leagues that I know of around here, just co-ed and womens leagues.

The two leagues I've played are:

20 games with three 17-minute stop time periods, playoffs for top teams = $425

12 games with three 17-minute run time periods, one game "championship" for top two teams = $175

The run time games take about an hour to play with warmups, stop time are usually 90 minutes. Longer bench in the stop time games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:19 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I honestly don't know of many "men's leagues" at the rinks here. They are all either co-ed - or there are a couple of women's leagues. I'm not sure why they'd be more expensive.

On one team, I'm the only woman. My husband plays on a team that had about 40% women over the summer, but now it will be more like 15% for the fall. My other team had about half women/half men, but that will change this fall too. When I play in organized pick-up, it's often 40-50% women. In the league where I'm the only woman on my team, I don't think I saw any other teams with more than 2 women (except my husband's team).

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Jisatsu

I've played in a co-ed rec league long ago. It was fun if you take it at face value. It's like organized drop in with the right people. Don't underestimate the women that come to play, as I've seen plenty who played college or travel level women's hockey.

Some things to consider while playing co-ed, accidental contact could land serious penalties, locker room awkwardness (some rinks don't allow for separate locker rooms), and referee favoritism.

Most women who play hockey prefer you to play aggressive and all out with/against them, but most refs and male team-mates can be over protective.

I just treat co-ed leagues like drop in hockey and enjoy myself.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:44 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
Most women who play hockey prefer you to play aggressive and all out with/against them, but most refs and male team-mates can be over protective.
I'll say! I play in a league that is not formally co-ed but has a handful of women in it. I got called for roughing going for a 50-50 puck with a woman because when we went for the puck she fell down because I'm at least a half foot taller and outweigh her by like 80 lbs. If it had been a guy, absolutely no call. No big deal but it was kinda funny. Especially because she's Blackhawks Icegirl

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote