HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wolfpack moving to Brooklyn?

Old
11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Plato

vCash: 50
i want em in QUEENS

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I am not getting my hopes up because it would simply be too great. But if it DOES happen, there are several spots in Brooklyn where an arena could be built. What about renovating Abe Stark in Coney Island to make it a good 7,000 or 8,000 seat building?

From what I can gather, the Wolf Pack were very popular in Hartford when they won the Calder Cup in 2000 but since then interest has gone down. I think they should move closer to the city because that is a guaranteed shot in the arm for attendance. The Flyers have the Phantoms and the Maple Leafs have the Marlies...plus the Wolves play in Chicago and get good crowds.

I go to several Rangers games a year but I would not mind a minor league team here for a night when I want to see a game and not spend too much money. It's not worth it to take the train 2 hours each way to Bridgeport for the closest AHL team.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:45 PM
SoulMan

source: pg 21 of
http://www.ctcda.com/images/customer...L%208-4-06.pdf (published August 6, 2006)

"Wolf Pack Lease
In 1997, the CDA and the New York Rangers Hockey club signed a lease agreement
outlining the terms of the Wolf Pack’s tenancy at the HCC. The lease expires on August 31, 2007; however, the Team retains the right to extend the term for an additional six years after 2007."...

SoulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:49 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
how come?
because they feel that they are too good for the ahl, they are a 'nhl town' and therefore can't lower themselves to supporting an ahl club...big problem was that the pack moved in the season that the whalers left, they didn't even have a month without a hockey team. so they are looked at as the replacement...maybe if hartford was without a team for a few years more people would have just been happy to get a team back.

plus a group of idiot whaler fans thing that the pack are the reason they haven't gotten another team like the league is just dying to put a team there but they can't cause the arena is being used (btw the rangers have said multiple times that they would move the pack out of hartford in a heartbeat if the city had a chance to get a nhl club)

irony of it is that by refusing to support the wolfpack they have elminated any chance of every getting a nhl team back. if they went out and supported the pack in full force and they were getting 9,000-10,000 per game they could now go to the nhl and be like 'look at how we are supporting an ahl team, a nhl team would be a guaranteed success because it is a proven fan base' instead they end up looking like a bad group of fans that won't show up for games. the nhl can't sit there and factor in the number of whaler fans that are sitting at home that would attend a nhl game they can only look at how many people are or aren't going to games currently.

i really laugh at people who talk about hartford getting a nhl team back when in reality there are 15-20 cities that would get teams before them. no expansion teams anytime soon and i hardly doubt that 21 teams are gonna relocate

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
plus a group of idiot whaler fans thing that the pack are the reason they haven't gotten another team like the league is just dying to put a team there but they can't cause the arena is being used (btw the rangers have said multiple times that they would move the pack out of hartford in a heartbeat if the city had a chance to get a nhl club)

irony of it is that by refusing to support the wolfpack they have elminated any chance of every getting a nhl team back. if they went out and supported the pack in full force and they were getting 9,000-10,000 per game they could now go to the nhl and be like 'look at how we are supporting an ahl team, a nhl team would be a guaranteed success because it is a proven fan base' instead they end up looking like a bad group of fans that won't show up for games. the nhl can't sit there and factor in the number of whaler fans that are sitting at home that would attend a nhl game they can only look at how many people are or aren't going to games currently.
I agree. As a former Whalers die-hard (attended my first game at the age of 7 in 1988) and also a former Wolf*Pack season ticket holder I too laugh at the "Whalers" fans that claim they will not support the Wolf*Pack regardless of anything they ever do because they believe that if the Wolf*Pack leave...it puts Hartford right at the top of the list for prime markets for an NHL team to relocate to.

What they are missing is that they are obviously cutting off their nose to spite their face and have missed some great hockey action at the Civic Center by refusing to attend Wolf*Pack games. Especially since the Rangers organization has gone out of their way on many occasions to try to appease the "Whalers" fans and get them to try out their product. Futhermore, since the Wolf*Pack has come to town the city has not missed the playoffs once and has consistently had winning records (except for this season's start).

I was livid that the Whalers left. I even got into a fight in school the morning after the announcement was made when someone just asked me if I had heard the Whalers were leaving (I have since grown up). However I came to realize when I attended the final home game that even though I knew almost every tidbit of Whalers history from reading about it, watching it, and listening to stories about it...I hadn't really been there from Day 1 to experience it. I sat through the final game with my best friend from high school and we listened for two hours prior to the opening faceoff about stories from fans that had been there back in the WHA days and early NHL years who had since moved away from the area, but had returned to take in the final game.

I felt left out in a way. I certainly have plenty of my own memories to cherish, but I cannot say I was there to take in the AVCO Cup championship or the '86 playoff run. I talked about that in depth with my friends for about a week prior to deciding I wasn't going to pass up that chance with whatever minor league team came to town.

I was there on opening night for the Wolf*Pack and didn't know what to really expect. I had already learned not to really get too attached to players as Chris Ferraro was selected in the waiver draft the day before opening night, but I was thrilled at the prospect of taking it all in.

Over the next seven years I took in some fantastic memories and made some really great friendships through my association with the Wolf*Pack prior to moving to Nashville in July of 2004. Ken Gernander quickly became my favorite player due to his professionalism both on and off the ice, I created many of the first banners at the Civic Center - PJ Stock "Rock'em Stock'em", "Super Dan" (Cloutier), "Robbed Again" (Stauber), "Great Save", "How's That Feel" (signed by all the brawlers to come through town), etc. I went from getting student rush tickets in the top two rows of the end zones to sitting eighteen rows off the ice directly behind our goalie.

I will never forget the playoff run our first season that ended in the Eastern Conference Finals with a loss to Saint John after Gernander was diagnosed with blood clots in Saint John after Game 2. I will never forget the puck deflecting off of Peter Ferraro's skate to win the Eastern Conference Finals in 2000 against Providence en route to the Calder Cup. I will never forget Chris Kenady's 4 goal performance against the Beast of New Haven in the fifth game of the opening series (best of five). I can go on and on, but I will spare all of you that.

I was very stunned and saddened by the news of this potential move this morning because there are truly dedicated fans in Hartford that always have and always will support the Wolf*Pack. Unfortunately, I view any move by the franchise away from Hartford as a victory for the minority of idiots that claim to still be "Whalers" fans and cannot get over the fact that Karmanos moved the team to North Carolina (don't get me started on that one...I haven't accepted it fully either and HATE anything to do with that franchise). I do not believe that the Wolf*Pack will survive long-term in Hartford though because of the absolute stupidity and pig-headed acts of those "hockey fans" in Hartford that wish nothing but the worst for the club that has given the city nine straight years of playoff hockey and the city's only professional hockey championship.

I also do not believe that Hartford is a viable market for the NHL to relocate to due to the fact that two original six teams exist approximately 100 miles to the north and to the west of the city and not only will those fan bases not drown out fans of a new team, but also the state is consumed by UConn athletics and during the winter any hockey team would have to deal with both the men's and women's basketball teams. It would probably be something similar to the situation with many fans here in Nashville. Due to a high number of Michigan natives moving to Tennessee for work we have a lot of Red Wings fans that wear Predators colors for all games except those against Detroit. Although it sucks here, I would not want to be back in Hartford where fans would probably support the NHL team only when their true favorite team wasn't in town. Unfortunately, due to the number of established teams with strong fan bases in the area...you would see a lot of "visiting team" jerseys on most nights - especially in games against the Bruins, Rangers, Montreal, and the like.

Anyhow, please note from this post that there are dedicated Wolf*Pack fans in Hartford. Not everyone is as pig-headed as to the situation and many even appreciate the efforts of the Rangers in putting forward a first-class minor pro organization in a city where we were subjected to a mismanged NHL franchise that did it's best to fail.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 01:14 AM
BlueShirt

With the Nets moving to Brooklyn are they going to change their name back to New YORK Nets?

BlueShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 01:37 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirt View Post
With the Nets moving to Brooklyn are they going to change their name back to New YORK Nets?
I believe it would be the brooklyn nets.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 03:02 AM
WheresBarnaby

That would be good for the sports popularity in NY. Personally, I would find it hard to justify a 40 min drive in traffic, when I could just as easily take a train to the Gardens doorstep. To me it's cool, but I'd probably just save my time and money to go to a Ranger game. For people close to where the Wolfpack might move I think it's great!

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Hartford HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I agree. As a former Whalers die-hard (attended my first game at the age of 7 in 1988) and also a former Wolf*Pack season ticket holder I too laugh at the "Whalers" fans that claim they will not support the Wolf*Pack regardless of anything they ever do because they believe that if the Wolf*Pack leave...it puts Hartford right at the top of the list for prime markets for an NHL team to relocate to.

What they are missing is that they are obviously cutting off their nose to spite their face and have missed some great hockey action at the Civic Center by refusing to attend Wolf*Pack games. Especially since the Rangers organization has gone out of their way on many occasions to try to appease the "Whalers" fans and get them to try out their product. Futhermore, since the Wolf*Pack has come to town the city has not missed the playoffs once and has consistently had winning records (except for this season's start).

I was livid that the Whalers left. I even got into a fight in school the morning after the announcement was made when someone just asked me if I had heard the Whalers were leaving (I have since grown up). However I came to realize when I attended the final home game that even though I knew almost every tidbit of Whalers history from reading about it, watching it, and listening to stories about it...I hadn't really been there from Day 1 to experience it. I sat through the final game with my best friend from high school and we listened for two hours prior to the opening faceoff about stories from fans that had been there back in the WHA days and early NHL years who had since moved away from the area, but had returned to take in the final game.

I felt left out in a way. I certainly have plenty of my own memories to cherish, but I cannot say I was there to take in the AVCO Cup championship or the '86 playoff run. I talked about that in depth with my friends for about a week prior to deciding I wasn't going to pass up that chance with whatever minor league team came to town.

I was there on opening night for the Wolf*Pack and didn't know what to really expect. I had already learned not to really get too attached to players as Chris Ferraro was selected in the waiver draft the day before opening night, but I was thrilled at the prospect of taking it all in.

Over the next seven years I took in some fantastic memories and made some really great friendships through my association with the Wolf*Pack prior to moving to Nashville in July of 2004. Ken Gernander quickly became my favorite player due to his professionalism both on and off the ice, I created many of the first banners at the Civic Center - PJ Stock "Rock'em Stock'em", "Super Dan" (Cloutier), "Robbed Again" (Stauber), "Great Save", "How's That Feel" (signed by all the brawlers to come through town), etc. I went from getting student rush tickets in the top two rows of the end zones to sitting eighteen rows off the ice directly behind our goalie.

I will never forget the playoff run our first season that ended in the Eastern Conference Finals with a loss to Saint John after Gernander was diagnosed with blood clots in Saint John after Game 2. I will never forget the puck deflecting off of Peter Ferraro's skate to win the Eastern Conference Finals in 2000 against Providence en route to the Calder Cup. I will never forget Chris Kenady's 4 goal performance against the Beast of New Haven in the fifth game of the opening series (best of five). I can go on and on, but I will spare all of you that.

I was very stunned and saddened by the news of this potential move this morning because there are truly dedicated fans in Hartford that always have and always will support the Wolf*Pack. Unfortunately, I view any move by the franchise away from Hartford as a victory for the minority of idiots that claim to still be "Whalers" fans and cannot get over the fact that Karmanos moved the team to North Carolina (don't get me started on that one...I haven't accepted it fully either and HATE anything to do with that franchise). I do not believe that the Wolf*Pack will survive long-term in Hartford though because of the absolute stupidity and pig-headed acts of those "hockey fans" in Hartford that wish nothing but the worst for the club that has given the city nine straight years of playoff hockey and the city's only professional hockey championship.

I also do not believe that Hartford is a viable market for the NHL to relocate to due to the fact that two original six teams exist approximately 100 miles to the north and to the west of the city and not only will those fan bases not drown out fans of a new team, but also the state is consumed by UConn athletics and during the winter any hockey team would have to deal with both the men's and women's basketball teams. It would probably be something similar to the situation with many fans here in Nashville. Due to a high number of Michigan natives moving to Tennessee for work we have a lot of Red Wings fans that wear Predators colors for all games except those against Detroit. Although it sucks here, I would not want to be back in Hartford where fans would probably support the NHL team only when their true favorite team wasn't in town. Unfortunately, due to the number of established teams with strong fan bases in the area...you would see a lot of "visiting team" jerseys on most nights - especially in games against the Bruins, Rangers, Montreal, and the like.

Anyhow, please note from this post that there are dedicated Wolf*Pack fans in Hartford. Not everyone is as pig-headed as to the situation and many even appreciate the efforts of the Rangers in putting forward a first-class minor pro organization in a city where we were subjected to a mismanged NHL franchise that did it's best to fail.
I agree with everything that you said.

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:47 AM
94now

Let'em just get there, the transportation will follow. Get a boat. Or just a cab.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 12:39 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulMan View Post
source: pg 21 of
http://www.ctcda.com/images/customer...L%208-4-06.pdf (published August 6, 2006)

"Wolf Pack Lease
In 1997, the CDA and the New York Rangers Hockey club signed a lease agreement
outlining the terms of the Wolf Pack’s tenancy at the HCC. The lease expires on August 31, 2007; however, the Team retains the right to extend the term for an additional six years after 2007."...
Doesn't MSG own the HCC?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Doesn't MSG own the HCC?
No, the Connecticut Development Authority (CDA) owns the Hartford Civic Center and Madison Square Gardens, Inc is contracted to operate the building.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote