HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Billybaroo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
His team needed him the most every period of every game for the past two years, and his personal results over that time are better than average for a starting Goaltender, yet some will still claim he isn't even that.

Simple reality is that most Goaltenders are lacking in some way, suffer a poor goal here or there and that's what keeps them from being the elite in the league. These Goaltenders include every single "big" name I've heard as a potential replacement for Dubnyk.
Agreed. Its unbelievable how obtuse so many people are to this fact.
Watch most starters in the NHL. They let in lots of goals people would question.
Lots.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:29 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Agreed. Its unbelievable how obtuse so many people are to this fact.
Watch most starters in the NHL. They let in lots of goals people would question.
Lots.
I think it's probably easier to ask who has been consistent while providing a higher level of overall results than Dubnyk?

It's an easy list to blow up. Not Niemi, not Hiller, not Luongo, not Kiprusoff. Smith has been since being in Phoenix, but he had rough patches last season - signed a $5+ million deal in spite of it. Quick is top-3 to most people, barely broke .900 this past year. That's our division.

Which just shows how few consistent, elite Goaltenders there are. Lundqvist and....?

Old
08-21-2013, 12:05 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Personally I'd take Hiller over Dubnyk... and I don't mind Dubnyk. I just think Hiller is more proven as a #1. If Hiller has injury concerns though, that does make it more even... but I'd still do a 1 for 1 trade of those 2.

On Fistric being picked up by the Ducks... great cheap pickup for them.

Fistric is EASILY a very solid bottom pairing dman. Hits like a truck and very solid defensively... exactly what any team needs (including the Oilers) on the bottom pairing. For a pricetag of $900,000... a steal... no question.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Personally I'd take Hiller over Dubnyk... and I don't mind Dubnyk. I just think Hiller is more proven as a #1. If Hiller has injury concerns though, that does make it more even... but I'd still do a 1 for 1 trade of those 2.

Fistric is EASILY a very solid bottom pairing dman. Hits like a truck and very solid defensively... exactly what any team needs (including the Oilers) on the bottom pairing. For a pricetag of $900,000... a steal... no question.
It's eery how much Anaheim relies on Oilers cast-offs. And more than mildly annoying how they're always better than us to boot.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

That's why Oilers will always be mediocre.

Old
08-21-2013, 08:57 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
It's eery how much Anaheim relies on Oilers cast-offs. And more than mildly annoying how they're always better than us to boot.
The difference being the castaways don't play such a big role in ANA. We relied on Coglaino, Souray, Jacques and JDD to do a lot more for us than ANA ever had them do. It's amazing how good players look when you play them in the role they are best suited for.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

We're talking about Andrew Ference, right?

Ference is a much better positional defenseman than Fistric. Fistric is simply a banger and that's it.

And at 900k, he would've been a great signing. But obviously he was interested in a larger role here and we were unwilling to give him that opportunity along with the pay he was expecting. Kudos to him.
Ference is actually a surprisingly good puckhandler for a defensive defenseman and mobile too. The one overrated aspect of his game is his defensive positioning, he tends to get caught out of position a little too often. Still light years better than Fistric though.
I liked Fistric and some of his hits were great to watch but man, his defensive positioning was god awful. Plus in today's NHL, it's vital to have mobile defenseman even on the bottom pairing and Fistric couldn't keep up most times. He's overrated around here because so many Oiler fans (understandably so) are thirsting for a big, physical presence on the blueline but what it boils down to is that he's not very good at playing actual defense and can't handle the puck at all.

Last edited by CupofOil: 08-21-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
That's why Oilers will always be mediocre.
Of course, the not signing of Marginal depth defensemen who can hit, but can't skate or handle the puck is the true down fall of the Oilers organization.

There's some silly myth building going on with Fistric here, not sure why.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:39 AM
joestevens29

If unsigned I have a feeling our Joe Sakic from the past comes to camp on a tryout.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
joestevens29

Also, how crazy would this board be if we had kadri and franson unsigned this late in the year?

Old
08-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If unsigned I have a feeling our Joe Sakic from the past comes to camp on a tryout.
What are you talking about?

Old
08-21-2013, 10:18 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
What are you talking about?
Marty Reasoner

Old
08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Marty Reasoner
Marty Sakic? Joe Reasoner? You cannot have a team without him. Same with Toby Petersen. He's the heart and soul of what being a true talented hockey player is all about.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

I like reasoner and and I think Lander could use another year on the farm. However, putting Lander on the farm for one more year could hurt his progression

Old
08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
nhlisajoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I like reasoner and and I think Lander could use another year on the farm. However, putting Lander on the farm for one more year could hurt his progression
huh? so he can use another year but it would hurt him...makes no sense

Old
08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Makes sense, I wonder how much he would have left in the tank.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
skorf

Good signing by the Ducks getting Fistric, good 6/7 guy. I wish we'd paid him 900k instead of giving grebeshkov 1.5 million. I think he would fit in nicer on our team then grebs.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Makes sense, I wonder how much he would have left in the tank.
In all honesty we don't need much do we? I'd think if he's brought in there is a good chance that he loses the job at some point. Or one should hope anyways.

The one thing Gregor did touch on is bringing in a 4th C means he's a a 4th C and that's it. Need to try target something that maybe can help fill a bigger void if injuries do occur. Hence why maybe a Wellwood is a better fit or Connolly or whatever else is there.

Although if it were up to me I would've tried to bring both types. A proven #4 and a then a question mark center that could play throughout your lineup if injuries happen. Did it with the defense, so not sure why we didn't do it with the most important forward position.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:25 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Good signing by the Ducks getting Fistric, good 6/7 guy. I wish we'd paid him 900k instead of giving grebeshkov 1.5 million. I think he would fit in nicer on our team then grebs.
I agree, would have liked to have seen Fistric back.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post

I'm ok with losing him.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
In all honesty we don't need much do we? I'd think if he's brought in there is a good chance that he loses the job at some point. Or one should hope anyways.

The one thing Gregor did touch on is bringing in a 4th C means he's a a 4th C and that's it. Need to try target something that maybe can help fill a bigger void if injuries do occur. Hence why maybe a Wellwood is a better fit or Connolly or whatever else is there.

Although if it were up to me I would've tried to bring both types. A proven #4 and a then a question mark center that could play throughout your lineup if injuries happen. Did it with the defense, so not sure why we didn't do it with the most important forward position.
Well I can see, to an extent, where the Organization is coming from with Lander. At the AHL level, he's proven what he can, and if not for a broken foot, would have had a shot last year. The team wants to know what it has in this player in at the NHL level, so this is his "shot". My guess is if he can't hack it he'll be sent down and moved on.

As for Reasoner, I don't disagree the Oilers don't "need" much, but if he can't kill penalties any more, if he's lost a step, he's not going to be of much help.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
alphahelix

Lander IS the back-up plan... if he can't hack it we're in real trouble

Old
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Lander IS the back-up plan... if he can't hack it we're in real trouble
Probably, not like the team could go sign a FA or trade for a bottom-6 guy, those guys are hard to come by.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Probably, not like the team could go sign a FA or trade for a bottom-6 guy, those guys are hard to come by.
Stop it! I have nothing to do until september, so I want to ring the alarm bell some more!

Old
08-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Stop it! I have nothing to do until september, so I want to ring the alarm bell some more!
my bad

Closed Thread