HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Agreed. Its unbelievable how obtuse so many people are to this fact.
Watch most starters in the NHL. They let in lots of goals people would question.
Lots.
I'm happy with Dubnyk in net. I think he has another level that he needs to get to. But I'm not pinning the blame for this team losing on him. He's not the problem. He's not so dominant that he can fix how poorly managed and coached this team has been for about the last 7 years, but he's not the problem.

I have two points about that.
One. If you put any goalie in the league behind our defence the last few years and they're not going to look good. The puck has to get through the rest of the team before it gets to the goalie. When a forward makes a bonehead play in the offensive zone and gives the puck away, then the defence misreads the play and gives up a scoring chance and the other team scores, everyone is like: That's the one! That's Dubnyk's bad goal of the game! It would be great if he brings up his play to the point where he can steal a few more games for us. But this team needs to play better defence and make less turnovers and win more face-offs, etc.

Two. Everyone harps on this idea that the "one bad goal a game" really deflates the team. Nobody likes to get scored on. But if a bad goal against causes you to play poorly for the rest of the game, that points to a lack of maturity and leadership on the team. Instead of busting your ass to get that goal back, you mope on the bench until the end of the game? You can't fold up shop at the first hint of adversity. We will never be a playoff team, let alone a contender, unless we can drop that attitude. If you can't get over a bad goal, whats to stop one bad game from turning into a 10 game losing streak? If we make the playoffs, is one loss going to deflate us to the point were we won't bother to show up for the rest of the series?
We have to be the team that will do anything to win, and that includes getting over a bad goal.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:06 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Lander IS the back-up plan... if he can't hack it we're in real trouble
He was ok defensively in a #4 role when he was up before...he just had absolutely no offense. He won't be a liability. I just hope that he will bring some offense now.

As per Reasoner, I would be ok with them bringing him in as an injury fill in. Better than keeping only wingers in that role, or a guy who could be playing big minutes on the farm. Plus maybe he can teach the guys to win a bloody faceoff.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Dr_oil

Is Big Mac coming back???? Stauffer just said that the Penguins AHL team just signed another enforcer. He then thought out loud "why would they need 2 enforcers" Then something along the lines of hmmmmmmm.

Now, we all know Stauff knows and loves to hint.

My thoughts, Mac would have to go through Waivers to be sent down and he doesn't spend all year on the big club for Pit. Could Pit be preparing to lose him to waivers? Could the Oilers grab him off waivers? Maybe a trade in the works?

Old
08-21-2013, 01:39 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Is Big Mac coming back???? Stauffer just said that the Penguins AHL team just signed another enforcer. He then thought out loud "why would they need 2 enforcers" Then something along the lines of hmmmmmmm.

My thoughts, Mac would have to go through Waivers to be sent down and he doesn't spend all year on the big club for Pit. Could Pit be preparing to lose him to waivers? Could the Oilers grab him off waivers? Maybe a trade in the works?
MacIntyre might be the most useless player in the NHL. I sure hope we aren't bringing him back.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Wouldn't shock me at all. I kinda asked the question a few weeks back.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:05 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
MacIntyre might be the most useless player in the NHL. I sure hope we aren't bringing him back.
Agreed. Unless he's willing to start taking suspensions, and just fight whoever goes after the young guys regardless of whether or not they're willing...

Old
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Dr_oil

I'm not a huge believer in teams needing the super heavy anymore but if we do get one then I think Mac is one of the better ones out there for the role. He seems like a good guy for the team, he will go a little crazy now and then if needed, but the biggest thing to me is he understands and seems to accept that he plays part time and isn't getting 10 min a night of ice time on the top lines.

Essentially he is the ANTI Laraque type of player for that role.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
I'm not a huge believer in teams needing the super heavy anymore but if we do get one then I think Mac is one of the better ones out there for the role. He seems like a good guy for the team, he will go a little crazy now and then if needed, but the biggest thing to me is he understands and seems to accept that he plays part time and isn't getting 10 min a night of ice time on the top lines.

Essentially he is the ANTI Laraque type of player for that role.
Yeah Laraque could actually play a lick. No danger of that with MacIntyre.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. Unless he's willing to start taking suspensions, and just fight whoever goes after the young guys regardless of whether or not they're willing...
They should make it clear that if he gets suspended he can go hunting. Might motivate him.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:25 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If he started doing that he would be out of the league faster than you can say "Trevor Gillies".

As an NHL tweener he can't afford to be getting long suspensions.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Bergeron47

No need to freak out guys, Hordichuk signed in KHL so OKC needs an enforcer

Old
08-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Dr_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Yeah Laraque could actually play a lick. No danger of that with MacIntyre.
That was Laraques problem, he thought he could play a lick as well.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
If he started doing that he would be out of the league faster than you can say "Trevor Gillies".

As an NHL tweener he can't afford to be getting long suspensions.
Why? He either stays in the NHL making 625k, losing some to suspension or he goes to the AHL and makes 105k. He has a lot of room to take some suspensions. Even if he loses 20 games he's still ahead 350ish.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:44 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why? He either stays in the NHL making 625k, losing some to suspension or he goes to the AHL and makes 105k. He has a lot of room to take some suspensions. Even if he loses 20 games he's still ahead 350ish.
I didn't mean it as he can't afford it financially. I meant it as he can't afford to take long suspensions if he wants to stay in the NHL.

Teams aren't going to want to sign an enforcer with a huge rap sheet. One incident and they will lose him for half the season or more. When the enforcers entire job is to fight and play tough, that's a pretty big risk to take. It's much safer to sign an enforcer with a clean record that isn't afraid of getting kicked out of the league if he crosses the line a little bit.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I didn't mean it as he can't afford it financially. I meant it as he can't afford to take long suspensions if he wants to stay in the NHL.

Teams aren't going to want to sign an enforcer with a huge rap sheet. One incident and they will lose him for half the season or more. When the enforcers entire job is to fight and play tough, that's a pretty big risk to take. It's much safer to sign an enforcer with a clean record that isn't afraid of getting kicked out of the league if he crosses the line a little bit.
At 33 if he doesn't he is out of the game anyway. He really has no choice.

Old
08-21-2013, 03:49 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
At 33 if he doesn't he is out of the game anyway. He really has no choice.
Fair enough.

I doubt anyone would bring him in just to be a cheap shot artist though.

Old
08-21-2013, 04:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Fair enough.

I doubt anyone would bring him in just to be a cheap shot artist though.
I'm not saying be a cheap shot artist. What I'd like is if Tootoo runs one of the kids that Mac goes over and pounds the **** out of him. Take the instigator. Eventually this will lead to a suspension, but it's something that needs to be done. Should've been done during the rebuild years, that we don't accept guys taking borderline hits at our kids. Eventually guys should think twice.

Old
08-21-2013, 04:16 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Please no. Not even as a 13-14 forward or AHL call up

I want players that can actually play. We only need Mac every 4-5 games for 2 mins only if someone runs at Hall/nuge etc. The rest of the time he is either a liability on the ice or taking prospect development time.

I think a lethal powerplay is a better deterrient than a goon anyway. A guy like Tootoo who likes fighting and being a pest will have no problem hammering a young player than fighting Mac (probaly enjoys it to). But if he knows that our PP will score once he lashes out hes way less likely to play dirty and hurt his team, and his coach is less likely to play him.

Joesnuu is a good role player and a good fit in the bottom 6. He has enough skill to maybe be a 3rd liner and can play physical and good in his own end. But even if hes a crappy player once the season roles around he can still be a 13th forward goon fighter and play on the PP as the screen.

He also has a great one timer (youtube highlight scouting) on the PP, so another tool we could use.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:11 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I always liked Smac but really if he plays 3 minutes a game every 3rd game... waste of a roster spot.

I'd rather see what Eager/Hamilton/Joensuu can bring to the lineup in terms of some physical players that can still play the game of hockey.

Not totally against Smac coming to play in OKC though... never hurts to have protection for all the young kids down there.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
shogun99

I think that if we're going with 14 forwards and 7 defenceman, one of the 13th-14th forwards needs to be a an NHL quality center. Right now its looking like our center depth is RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Lander and a bunch of AHL guys. Reasoner would be a decent, cheap pickup as the 13th forward.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Lindo

MacIntyre would be the exact opposite of the kind of move MacT should be making.

Old
08-21-2013, 08:46 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
MacIntyre would be the exact opposite of the kind of move MacT should be making.
MacIntyre would be the opposite type of move MacT would make, if you consider his preferences.

He never liked enforcers, even the ones that could play a bit.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:23 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Ference is actually a surprisingly good puckhandler for a defensive defenseman and mobile too. The one overrated aspect of his game is his defensive positioning, he tends to get caught out of position a little too often. Still light years better than Fistric though.
I liked Fistric and some of his hits were great to watch but man, his defensive positioning was god awful. Plus in today's NHL, it's vital to have mobile defenseman even on the bottom pairing and Fistric couldn't keep up most times. He's overrated around here because so many Oiler fans (understandably so) are thirsting for a big, physical presence on the blueline but what it boils down to is that he's not very good at playing actual defense and can't handle the puck at all.
I take that with a large grain of salt. He was playing under a man coverage defensive system that has recently been mocked in the media as a total impractical system in todays NHL.

He will be just fine as a bottom pairing guy with the ducks.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:34 PM
MrOiler

I loved SMAC but I would rather have 2 guys who could skate and hit hard than be a nuclear deterrent.

Steve has a role to play, but in the regular season it`s got its place in only 3 to 5 games - especially if you`re playing a puck movement game.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I'm not saying be a cheap shot artist. What I'd like is if Tootoo runs one of the kids that Mac goes over and pounds the **** out of him. Take the instigator. Eventually this will lead to a suspension, but it's something that needs to be done. Should've been done during the rebuild years, that we don't accept guys taking borderline hits at our kids. Eventually guys should think twice.
Exactly. You think Dustan Brown is going to be out there cheap shotting guys if Smac beats the living daylights out of him once or twice? If he does it a few times, guys will know he's not scared to take the instigator, and he'd actually serve a purpose. He doesn't need to be the one starting ****. He just needs to be the one ending it

Closed Thread