HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the Habs offersheet Kadri?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  #101
HatTricK09
Registered User
 
HatTricK09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 50
We could, and I do understand its the Leafs and it's an opportunity to screw with them, but there are things I wouldn't want to do to others because I wouldn't want that happen to me.
We could play like this and offer sheet Kadri but I have a feeling when the time is right they will come back and bite us harder.

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:08 PM
  #102
The Newfoundlander
#TradeKessel
 
The Newfoundlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
What if Toronto already tried to offer sheet Subban? Would it make offer sheeting Kadri okay then?
Of course! Two wrongs make a right, right?

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:09 PM
  #103
Analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,788
vCash: 50
For it to be worth while in the slightest, we'd have to offer enough that the leafs might not match, which, in turn would cost us multiple firsts likely. Also, Kadri has to accept it first. You can also expect an offer sheet back.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  #104
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,876
vCash: 500
What's to stop Toronto from offer sheeting PK for $8M next year? PK and the Habs haven't started talking yet and this could easily drag into the off season. Add to that every team tampers and they could let PK know they'd love to pay him to come play for his home town team.

Again, pass and won't happen. Kadri isn't worht the risk, either one or the money you'd have to offer to get him or hurt the Leafs. Karma is a ***** and you're better off leaving it alone. Plus, I hate him.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:16 PM
  #105
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
When is this offersheet nonsense going to end? I understand it is a slow season and people need something to talk about but it has to make some sense. Offersheets are bad for the game as they lead to escalation of salaries and the NHL is not in great financial shape, a few clubs aside. And when was the last time the habs did sign someone to an offersheet? I can't even remember that! And this GM, who has clearly shown his vision by shying away from big, long term contracts, is even less likely to offersheet anyone, particularly a player who does not really fill a need and would be seriously overpaid.
With a hard salary cap in place salaries aren't going to "escalate" because as money is spent on one player, it becomes unavailable for others.

What has this GM shown, really. He has a habit of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite, not sure how this would hurt his reputation. I wouldn't worry about the people who fawn over him because they will dismiss it as "an opportunity to good to pass up on". No harm, no foul.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:36 PM
  #106
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Actually Eller would be the worst one to move. He is the only physical center we have right now. The most logical would be Desharnais but then adding Kadri has the potential to block Galchenyuk's path for an even longer period of time.

Upgrades are nice but let's upgrade those positions where we need help and lack depth... like right wing.
1 - I meant capwise. It indeed makes no sense to move Eller to make room for Kadri from a lineup perspective.

2 - If Eller is in the top-6, then DD isn't. So DD isn't a valid answer.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:44 PM
  #107
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,634
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
We could, and I do understand its the Leafs and it's an opportunity to screw with them, but there are things I wouldn't want to do to others because I wouldn't want that happen to me.
We could play like this and offer sheet Kadri but I have a feeling when the time is right they will come back and bite us harder.
Whether we did offer sheet Kadri or not. IMO, I don't think it would make a difference. If another team felt one of our young players were "offer sheet worthy". Do you think they will look back and say "Hmmmm Bergevin was nice and didn't offer sheet Kadri, maybe we should give him a break and leave his players alone"

All the GM's know the rule. If they weren't able to get their players signed, then they should be prepared to see them get or even sign an offer sheet.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
  #108
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newfoundlander View Post
Of course! Two wrongs make a right, right?
I don't know that I'd call either offer sheet a "wrong" just because there's mass collusion not to use a completely legal tactic.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  #109
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,634
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
What's to stop Toronto from offer sheeting PK for $8M next year? PK and the Habs haven't started talking yet and this could easily drag into the off season. Add to that every team tampers and they could let PK know they'd love to pay him to come play for his home town team.

Again, pass and won't happen. Kadri isn't worht the risk, either one or the money you'd have to offer to get him or hurt the Leafs. Karma is a ***** and you're better off leaving it alone. Plus, I hate him.
PK hates the Leafs, so I highly doubt he'd consider them his "Home town team".

I see your point though, but what's to stop 29 other teams (including the Leafs) from offer sheeting PK? The bottom line is, if MB can't sign PK by the time he's a free agent. Then he'll have to deal with the fact that someone might take a run at him.

I will agree with you and say pass as well. I don't think Kadri has done enough to warrant the type of offer it would take for the Leafs to let him go.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:52 PM
  #110
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,965
vCash: 500
I'm sorry but since when is Kadri worth anything close to5 mil ?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:59 PM
  #111
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,413
vCash: 500
It's no collusion it's that the costs outweigh the benefits. This avenue of free agency is only available to prevent owners from keeping players in limbo indefinitely . I would guess absolutely nobody has Kadri on their radar for an offer sheet.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:32 PM
  #112
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
PK hates the Leafs, so I highly doubt he'd consider them his "Home town team".

I see your point though, but what's to stop 29 other teams (including the Leafs) from offer sheeting PK? The bottom line is, if MB can't sign PK by the time he's a free agent. Then he'll have to deal with the fact that someone might take a run at him.

I will agree with you and say pass as well. I don't think Kadri has done enough to warrant the type of offer it would take for the Leafs to let him go.
He is from Toronto, so literally, the Leafs are his hometown team. As for whether he'd play for them, hopefully we'll never find out but stranger things have happened.

Nothing is stopping 29 other teams from doing the same except 29 other teams have never offer sheeted a single player before. If Habs screw the Leafs by offer sheeting Kadri than the can justify it to the other teams owners by getting revenge. We've seen this before and the Leafs would have the additional reason that PK is a budding superstar worth the picks they'd lose for him. Kadri. Probably not so much.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
  #113
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
To Toronto:

Lars Eller + Nathan Beaulieu

To Montreal:

Nazem Kadri

Fair for both teams!
did you fall off a bike writing this

I dont trade those 2 for Kadri , no fken way

how many more one dimensional softies do you want

Eller is a 2 way beast , untouchable

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
  #114
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score
 
MoldyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 7,731
vCash: 500
If only Bergevin didn't re-sign DD and pursue Briere. I'd seriously rather have Kadri because he at least engages physically sometimes, even if it is only against guys his own size or smaller.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:06 PM
  #115
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score
 
MoldyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 7,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He is from Toronto, so literally, the Leafs are his hometown team. As for whether he'd play for them, hopefully we'll never find out but stranger things have happened.

Nothing is stopping 29 other teams from doing the same except 29 other teams have never offer sheeted a single player before. If Habs screw the Leafs by offer sheeting Kadri than the can justify it to the other teams owners by getting revenge. We've seen this before and the Leafs would have the additional reason that PK is a budding superstar worth the picks they'd lose for him. Kadri. Probably not so much.
If he does go to Toronto to play because we didn't keep him, it'll because of the money(i.e we didn't offer enough and Toronto won the bidding war) and perhaps family a distant second, not because he "likes" them.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:39 PM
  #116
RealityBytes
Trash Remover
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's safer to do the offersheets to teams which might be cash-strapped moreso than cap-strapped, like the Sens, say, instead of the Leafs. I'd rather offersheet Cowen, therefore, at least there would be some miniscule chance of actually getting the player. You wouldn't get Kadri. The Leafs can trade or bury Liles if they want, free up another $3M there, for example, they aren't going to be stuck to match on Kadri. And they have ample money to engage in revenge attempts down the road.
Exactly ... and it's going to be tough enough as it is for MB next year without locking up an additional $5M on Kadri. If the Leafs don't re-sign Kessel, they have Kessel, Bolland, and Phaneuf coming off the books for $15.275M while MB is in a squeeze to get Subban, Emelin, and Eller back. That all aside from losing a 1st and 3rd pick.

An offer sheet to Kadri just ain't going to happen.


Last edited by RealityBytes: 08-21-2013 at 09:49 PM.
RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:11 PM
  #117
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
He doesn't fit the mold of a character guy either. He's a bit of a headcase, as a matter of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
If only Bergevin didn't re-sign DD and pursue Briere. I'd seriously rather have Kadri because he at least engages physically sometimes, even if it is only against guys his own size or smaller.
When I think of Kadri and being engaged physically, I can only think of this delightful moment:


Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:25 PM
  #118
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 500
Offer sheet to Kadri or Franson?
We have enough offense.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:26 PM
  #119
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
It's rare player are worth the contracts + the picks lost in offersheets cases and with Toronto homeboy Subban coming from a small contract, alienating a rich team isn't the best way to go.

Don't get me wrong though Kadri is a good player, but not really a need with a guys like Eller and Galchenyuk coming.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:26 PM
  #120
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,465
vCash: 500
Kadri is a fine young man with a bright future it's too bad he is a Leaf.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:33 PM
  #121
Locks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
With a hard salary cap in place salaries aren't going to "escalate" because as money is spent on one player, it becomes unavailable for others.

What has this GM shown, really. He has a habit of saying one thing and doing the complete opposite, not sure how this would hurt his reputation. I wouldn't worry about the people who fawn over him because they will dismiss it as "an opportunity to good to pass up on". No harm, no foul.
We don't know how it will work under the new CBA, but under the old one salaries had escalated and giving long term front loaded contracts was one of the ways to "achieve" that.
As for Bergevin, he has shied away from giving fat, long term contracts to players he had interest in such as Vinny and Clowe.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
  #122
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,754
vCash: 500
What I'm truly interested in is if the media slanders him and suggests he's greedy like they did with Subban.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:11 PM
  #123
jughead42*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
I know the Habs have a sick fetish for smaller players with fancy stick handling skills, but it doesn't make much sense. If the term is ugly enough on that five million the Leafs could walk, but probably not. You just stick the Leafs with a bad contact that could end up being a good contract in a few years and invite retaliation when somebody like Galchenyuk is ready to make some coin.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
  #124
McSorleyStick
GIJON !
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 17,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
To Toronto:

Lars Eller + Nathan Beaulieu

To Montreal:

Nazem Kadri

Fair for both teams!

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:48 PM
  #125
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score
 
MoldyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 7,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I know the Habs have a sick fetish for smaller players with fancy stick handling skills, but it doesn't make much sense. If the term is ugly enough on that five million the Leafs could walk, but probably not. You just stick the Leafs with a bad contact that could end up being a good contract in a few years and invite retaliation when somebody like Galchenyuk is ready to make some coin.
If all goes well, any team would be nuts to NOT offer sheet Galchenyuk if they get that chance.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.