HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So with all those Swedes on the team...

Old
08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Bench
Realgud!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Teams with tons of bandwaggoners also generally have a solid fanbase. Frankly, Detroit has a solid fanbase already.

Either way these bandwaggoners you're bemoaning bring in revenue for the team and the league, which is a good thing.
And all fans have to start somewhere. Who cares how they get into the game.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:52 PM
DRWCountryClub

Datsyuk has the second most jersey sales? Nice!

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Yeah. but if people from lets say Sweden becomes fans because of Zetterberg, then they might lose interest once he hangs em up.
I don't think that'll be possible with our Swedish factory.

Quote:
On the other hand maybe Tatar will become a superstar and attract people from his birthplace in the future, who knows. Should be most important to attract people from NA though, money wise?
Yes, and I think Detroit has a pretty solid NA fanbase already. It's also good to attract from overseas, as well, though.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
And all fans have to start somewhere. Who cares how they get into the game.
I got my start watching Hasek and Buffalo play, and switched to Detroit in the mid-90s not because of the playoff runs, but because of this Yzerman guy and this up and coming defenseman named Lidstrom.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Yeah. but if people from lets say Sweden becomes fans because of Zetterberg, then they might lose interest once he hangs em up.

On the other hand maybe Tatar will become a superstar and attract people from his birthplace in the future, who knows. Should be most important to attract people from NA though, money wise?
Detroit has a solid NA fan-base, they have a solid international fan-base. I don't think they spend a lot of time thinking about jersey sales they have a department in charge of that. Their team construction is done to win and guess what that makes more fans. If they employed a bunch of purple people that won a bunch I think they would be happy with it.

It is interesting that both the Tigers and Wings did latch on to a particular country where Ilitch spends big money to get the best scouting and a big presence. In baseball it is Venezuela in hockey it has been Sweden for a while now.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I got my start watching Hasek and Buffalo play, and switched to Detroit in the mid-90s not because of the playoff runs, but because of this Yzerman guy and this up and coming defenseman named Lidstrom.
How excited were you when Hasek joined the Wings?

I always loved the Wings being in Michigan, but like you, I was drawn to a specific player named Modano from the state. I followed him the best I could before the days of Center Ice and internet.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:08 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
How excited were you when Hasek joined the Wings?

I always loved the Wings being in Michigan, but like you, I was drawn to a specific player named Modano from the state. I followed him the best I could before the days of Center Ice and internet.
I was thrilled both times Hasek joined them. I haven't been as excited for a season to start, ever.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:08 PM
DRWCountryClub

I was bred a Wings fan. Thank God not a Leaf fan!

Southwestern Ontario is split 50/50.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
claudetheturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Sorry for this generalization, but a lot of the North American player these days seem like bros or d-bags. There's a few good ones, but guys like Corey Perry, Getzlaf, Pat Kane, Marchand, Tyler Seguin make me sour toward NA players. They don't make em like Stevie Y. anymore.
Are you referring mainly to younger North American players, or North American players in general?

claudetheturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Slagskott

At the moment there is more Swedes than Canadians on the team. Has this ever happened in any team in the NHL before?!

Slagskott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagskott View Post
At the moment there is more Swedes than Canadians on the team. Has this ever happened in any team in the NHL before?!
How many americans are there? Maybe there's even more swedes than canadians+americans ?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
How many americans are there? Maybe there's even more swedes than canadians+americans ?
There are 13 Canadians + Americans. The current breakdown.

Swedish - 9
Canadian - 8
American - 5
Slovakian - 1
Czech - 1
Russian - 1

2 will be gone by opening day, though, likely Canadians (Tootoo, Eaves, Emmerton).

Old
08-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Now that Holland looks hellbent to turn the Red Wings to the Blue and Yellow wings, (don't know if its an overcompentation for the loss of Lidström), Detroit is set to get a lot of attention in Swedish media next season.

I wonder if we're going to see a lot of Swedish hockey fans on the Detroit forum here because of that.

Detroit Red Wings do have two Michigan boys on the team, I think it's good that they do, it's a Michigan team after all. Although Abby might be getting more minutes than he deserves if his really going to play on the first line.

What do you fans from Michigan/(or the US at least) think, does it matter where the players comes from or is it just the principle of best available players that's matter?

For me, I'm just happy that the team can get the best players possible, or at least something that 'works' in a holistic sense.

If I really try to think about stereotypes as far as style of play, I seem to prefer Canadians and Russians (e.g., Feds, Dats). Of course, I loved Lidstrom as well.

Ultimately, certain players just capture your heart, regardless of national origin.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
National pride is pretty low on my list of concerns. Quite low, actually. Borders are for maps.

I enjoy players that are talented, work hard, and bring respect to the Wings organization. The Swedes do all of those things.
Agreed.

Though, I do enjoy when our team looks like the NHL's United Nations.

Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Not sure the data backs that up. Of the top 20 jersey sales, 6 are European or Russian. Datsyuk was the #2 seller overall, Zetterberg #11.

30% is a good representation given how Canadians make up just over 50% of the NHL and Americans 20%. So sales appear to reflect good players in relation to their frequency in the league. No tie to national preference.
Who's number 1?

Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:16 AM
One Cheeky Otter

the don cherry crowd will definitely point at the wings and call them soft for having so many european players on the roster, but that's just the way things go. i know some michiganders that dislike the relatively high number of euros on the wings, but in my opinion it doesn't seem to make the team any worse. they just play different, that's all. i couldn't care less if more kids from michigan played on the team (though i wouldn't mind having torey krug, david legwand, or ryan kesler on the wings).

One Cheeky Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:35 AM
67coach

Personally I don't give a hoot where the Wings players are from. If the guy is a stand out NHL player and gives us a chance to win, he could be from France for all I care...........Okay, well maybe not France but most any other place on the planet

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
Who's number 1?
Really need to ask that?

Old
08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
RedWingsForPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Just curious- why do Russians get on your nerves? I kinda LOL'd reading that as it just sounds odd. Given your Swayze avatar, is it the whole original Red Dawn thing?

I always thought that, language barrier aside, Igor Kravchuk would be a great dude to grab a beer with.
Not all of them, but [some] of them do. MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 08-22-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: ethnic/nationalistic stereotype
RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Cheeky Otter View Post
the don cherry crowd will definitely point at the wings and call them soft for having so many european players on the roster, but that's just the way things go. i know some michiganders that dislike the relatively high number of euros on the wings, but in my opinion it doesn't seem to make the team any worse. they just play different, that's all. i couldn't care less if more kids from michigan played on the team (though i wouldn't mind having torey krug, david legwand, or ryan kesler on the wings).

Michiganders? I think Wings fans loved the Russian Five, and then our Swedish greats like Lids and Z. I generally find Wings fans to be protective of their European players. Try going to any section that's dominated by non-Wings Canadian fans, and you have a hard time getting any non-Canadian Wing the credit he rightfully deserves.

Not to pick on our Canadian friends, love them to pieces, but when it comes to hockey, they still view it as a birthright, very proud and unable at times to give credit to non-Canadians.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Michiganders? I think Wings fans loved the Russian Five, and then our Swedish greats like Lids and Z. I generally find Wings fans to be protective of their European players. Try going to any section that's dominated by non-Wings Canadian fans, and you have a hard time getting any non-Canadian Wing the credit he rightfully deserves.

Not to pick on our Canadian friends, love them to pieces, but when it comes to hockey, they still view it as a birthright, very proud and unable at times to give credit to non-Canadians.
Yeah they won't even take the Orr-Lidstrom discussions since in their eyes, Orr was so much superior....What's to say he would have produced and won as much had he not been forced to retire pre-maturely? That's all pure theoretical from the Canadians... If you only compared career-versus-career you could easily make a case for Lidstrom as the best ever Dman in the NHL

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Yeah they won't even take the Orr-Lidstrom discussions since in their eyes, Orr was so much superior....What's to say he would have produced and won as much had he not been forced to retire pre-maturely? That's all pure theoretical from the Canadians... If you only compared career-versus-career you could easily make a case for Lidstrom as the best ever Dman in the NHL
What comes to Orr-Lidström debate, it's pretty much same as Gretzky-Lemieux debate. Orr was more talented than Lidström and Lemieux was more talented than Gretzky, but Gretzky and Lidström had better careers. It's the viewpoint.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
It brings more bandwaggoners yeah, it's better to get a solid fanbase than bandwaggoners who just heard of the team due to the major exposure.
I havent heard of a single swedish bandwaggoner... Ppl in sweden are hellbent on cheering for THEIR team be it Ducks, Wings, Hawks or Oilers

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Orr is still the only defenseman to have won the Art Ross while playing superb defense. Career vs career is irrelevant when discussing who was the better player. While you say it theoretical, the ppl who watched him still scoring at a remarkable rate on one leg only knows their stuff. Lidström isn't the best d-man ever but he is definitly one of the best d-men ever.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Why do you have Bloomfield Hills as your location?...poser.

Judging by a lot of your comments, I find it really hard to believe you're from Sweden.
mindfly, why did you dodge this one? I'm also interested in your reply to this.

Also, you seem quite annoyed that DRW gets media attention in Sweden.
Your opinion on "bandwagoners" due to the media coverage (which I suspect you to think is Aftonbladet web?) seems like you think are the only true fan.
Other Swedes don't deserve to cheer for DRW?

How many newspapers have you read that cover DRW a lot? What/where is this media coverage you talk about? Is it when Z does a hat-trick or when they win the SCF or gets eliminated from the playoffs (which ALWAYS has to do with players coming to the WC). Nah mindfly, there is no special DRW coverage that attracts bandwagoners in Sweden.

You said in another thread that "97 and 98 were a little before my time, they hardly broadcasted the nhl here in sweden back then" - which it WAS.
So what's the deal with you? Idk

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote