Notices

Understanding the Rebuild

Old
08-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
^^ We downgraded in defense (lost Bouwmeester), offense (lost Iggy and Tangs), and in goalie.

How are we better on paper?

I would wait until we've established a solid core of players before making any crazy "purchases"
I agree on paper we are not better, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. We lost a couple of top end guys in Bouwmeester and Iginla but we added alot of depth as well. Mix that with the youth hopefully getting a bit better and they may be able to replace those guys by committee.

Kiprusoff on the other hand, who cares. Ramo is unlikely to be as bad as Kiprusoff was last year. I expect improvement between the pipes from what we saw from our "starter" last year.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I agree on paper we are not better, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. We lost a couple of top end guys in Bouwmeester and Iginla but we added alot of depth as well. Mix that with the youth hopefully getting a bit better and they may be able to replace those guys by committee.

Kiprusoff on the other hand, who cares. Ramo is unlikely to be as bad as Kiprusoff was last year. I expect improvement between the pipes from what we saw from our "starter" last year.
Exactly, people seem to forget how bad kipper was last year. Nothing that will taint his legacy, but he was one of the worst starters in the NHL last season.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:33 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:

We were ONLY a playoff-mix team because of Kipper on his good years. It's unlikely that Ramo will be as good as Kipper has been in years past. We were ONLY a play-off mix team because Iginla and Tanguay carried the bulk of the offense and because Bouwmeester carried the bulk of the defense.

Depth is not an alternative to high end talent IMO. Especially when we have no high-end talent ready to go

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
We were ONLY a playoff-mix team because of Kipper on his good years. It's unlikely that Ramo will be as good as Kipper has been in years past. We were ONLY a play-off mix team because Iginla and Tanguay carried the bulk of the offense and because Bouwmeester carried the bulk of the defense.

Depth is not an alternative to high end talent IMO. Especially when we have no high-end talent ready to go
Ask Phoenix, or Nashville. You can make the playoffs with depth and goaltending. If Ramo is lights out, anything can happen. Iginla carrying the load offensively didn't make a lick of difference when he was ******** the bed defensively more frequently.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
The Gnome

Quote:

Maybe I'm not sure of the context of this discussion. But I was under the assumption that we were comparing how our team will perform this year from last year. Our goaltending will likely be better IMO.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
MarkGio

Well the Flames were a bubble 9-11th place team for 3 years while Kipper was playing his unhuman, normal self. So how is Ramo going to push us over the top, with a worse team in front of him?

Old
08-21-2013, 01:12 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Ask Phoenix, or Nashville. You can make the playoffs with depth and goaltending. If Ramo is lights out, anything can happen. Iginla carrying the load offensively didn't make a lick of difference when he was ******** the bed defensively more frequently.
Both had pretty Elite goaltending and defensemen.

Old
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Well the Flames were a bubble 9-11th place team for 3 years while Kipper was playing his unhuman, normal self. So how is Ramo going to push us over the top, with a worse team in front of him?
Right now, Kipper is our starter, with Ramo/JoeMac as our backup.

I find it very bizarre the Flames have yet to announce the retirement. He is still on the roster at both CalgaryFlames.com and NHL.com

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:59 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Right now, Kipper is our starter, with Ramo/JoeMac as our backup.

I find it very bizarre the Flames have yet to announce the retirement. He is still on the roster at both CalgaryFlames.com and NHL.com
There is nothing strange about it Feaster already said they are leaving the door open in case Kipper changes his mind. They gain nothing by announcing it now, they will wait as long as they can.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

To understand the rebuild look at TSN's picture of all the Canadian teams represented by one player for their broadcast schedule.

Ottawa has franchise Center and PPG career player Jason Spezza
Montreal has reining Norris Champion PK Subban
Vancouver has incumbent Canadian Olympic starter Roberto Luongo
Edmonton has rising star and Canadian hero Jordan Eberle
Winnipeg has the gritty two time cup champion and top 20 scorer last year (if I remember correctly) Andrew Ladd
Toronto has the high flying Phil Kessel

Calgary has.... Michael Backlund.

Now I love Mikey, but one of these is not like the other.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:

Depth can very much replace high end talent. And Tanguay never carried the bulk of anything, he is a complimentary player.

Quote:
Both had pretty Elite goaltending and defensemen.
Bryzgalov and Smith are not elite. The coaching and system make them look elite, much like Kipper while being coached by a Sutter, it covered up for his deficiencies, there is a reason why Kiprusoff was mediocre or worse under every other coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
There is nothing strange about it Feaster already said they are leaving the door open in case Kipper changes his mind. They gain nothing by announcing it now, they will wait as long as they can.
I think they want him to be around for a press conference, but he wants no fan fair.

Old
08-21-2013, 05:59 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Depth can very much replace high end talent. And Tanguay never carried the bulk of anything, he is a complimentary player.

Bryzgalov and Smith are not elite. The coaching and system make them look elite, much like Kipper while being coached by a Sutter, it covered up for his deficiencies, there is a reason why Kiprusoff was mediocre or worse under every other coach.

I think they want him to be around for a press conference, but he wants no fan fair.
I think you're probably on the money.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I think you're probably on the money.
I was also n the money with Alaska

Old
08-21-2013, 06:24 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Could go both ways. Both teams missed the playoffs and Nashville was one of the worst teams in the league (unsure of full context of discussion).

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:28 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
To understand the rebuild look at TSN's picture of all the Canadian teams represented by one player for their broadcast schedule.

Ottawa has franchise Center and PPG career player Jason Spezza
Montreal has reining Norris Champion PK Subban
Vancouver has incumbent Canadian Olympic starter Roberto Luongo
Edmonton has rising star and Canadian hero Jordan Eberle
Winnipeg has the gritty two time cup champion and top 20 scorer last year (if I remember correctly) Andrew Ladd
Toronto has the high flying Phil Kessel

Calgary has.... Michael Backlund.

Now I love Mikey, but one of these is not like the other.
That's cause our expected top guys are our prospects, and as a rebuilding team...just so.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Name one Stanley Cup winner without high end talent?

Bryzgalov was nominated for a Vezina, while Kipper won one. Do you know more that the nomination committee?

Old
08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
Quote:
I was also n the money with Alaska
Are you the fanblogger??!!

08-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Name one Stanley Cup winner without high end talent?

Bryzgalov was nominated for a Vezina, while Kipper won one. Do you know more that the nomination committee?
Carolina when they won had no one that was considered high end, they had young players and depth players that made names for themselves.

and that nomination committee is the pro hockey writers, so yes i do. they are the same idiots who gave Ovechkin 2 spots on the season ending all-star team

besides who the **** is talking about winning a cup this year? we are talking about being better than last year.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Are you the fanblogger??!!
no but Abbotsford Heat tweeted that his is better than thefanblogger

Old
08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Carolina when they won had no one that was considered high end, they had young players and depth players that made names for themselves.

and that nomination committee is the pro hockey writers, so yes i do. they are the same idiots who gave Ovechkin 2 spots on the season ending all-star team

besides who the **** is talking about winning a cup this year? we are talking about being better than last year.
Eric Staal had 45 goals and 100 points in the regular season that year.
That is about as high end as you can find.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Eric Staal had 45 goals and 100 points in the regular season that year.
That is about as high end as you can find.
in his break out season. That cannot be ignore. He played the lockout season in the AHL and the season before had 11 goals and 31 points. No one thought that was a possibility in his sophomore year. After Staal there was a bunch of secondary players (that had good years) and even their defense didn't have any star power. It was the perfect storm.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:38 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

I see.

So Ray Whitney and Rob Brind'Amour weren't high end talent veterans? Or are you so narcissistic that you're above the Hall of Fame process too?

Old
08-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
I see.

So Ray Whitney and Rob Brind'Amour weren't high end talent veterans? Or are you so narcissistic that you're above the Hall of Fame process too?
A 35 year old Brind'amour was no longer a high end player. He was a good secondary player.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:43 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
A 35 year old Brind'amour was no longer a high end player. He was a good secondary player.
82 points in 78 games is pretty high end

Old
08-22-2013, 12:11 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
in his break out season. That cannot be ignore. He played the lockout season in the AHL and the season before had 11 goals and 31 points. No one thought that was a possibility in his sophomore year. After Staal there was a bunch of secondary players (that had good years) and even their defense didn't have any star power. It was the perfect storm.
I suppose that is a fair analysis, although I will say that Eric Staal was the consensus best player available in his draft year and was expected to become a franchise player (as you said probably not that quickly however..)

I agree with you that we won't be much worse (if at all) then we were last year as well. We all know the game is not played on paper..

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote