HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Off-Season Thread Part VI - Are we there yet? (Grabovski to Caps, 1 yr)

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
The only funny thing about -31- is the fact that he won the funniest poster award.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Obvious jealousy is obvious.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Some team is going to bring in the Sedins as complimentary offensive weapons and win The Cup. Could you imagine:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Sedin-Sedin-Callahan
Kreider-Brassard-Fast/Hrivik/Kristo/Miller
How/why would they be brought in as "complimentary weapons?" They're going to want fat contracts, and someone will give them.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:06 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Personally I think 8th ranked forwards is pretty generous.

08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree. I'd think we'd be in the middle of the pack somewhere.

08-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Quote:
Agreed. We've been slightly above average the last 2 seasons, 4-5 spots is a pretty big jump I think.

Old
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
I agree with being 8-10th ranked in forwards, depending on the criteria. We don't have top 5 high octane talent, but we have a lineup loaded with guys that can score all through out the top 9, and a VERY good 4th line, in my opinion. And I don't agree that the Rangers' third pair thins out, Stralman and Moore are an extremely serviceable 3rd pair and I doubt there are many more in the league with their ability.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Hey, you! Get off of my cloud!

Under AV, who knows. I've always felt our D were a little coddled under Torts, and our forwards were cut into a little bit. We'll see if our offense improves and our D looks a little more human under this new coach.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:23 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

If we're talking about 2014 free agents, I'd go guns blazing for Kessel or Vanek. Kessel is still 26. Vanek fills a hole on LW. Both can score lots of goals. With Stepan, Brassard, Miller, and Lindberg, we'll be fine up the middle for 2014-2015. Don't discount Moore or Boyle being brought back either.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Lundsanity30

I think Vanek is much more likely. Tor will re sign Kessel

Old
08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

I don't see a situation where the Rangers sign Kessel. Toronto will do everything in their power to keep him, and Dave Nonis is not afraid to break the bank to keep him. I'd also be very careful signing Vanek, extremely hot and cold player ala Gaborik, and will probably want a big contract.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I don't see a situation where the Rangers sign Kessel. Toronto will do everything in their power to keep him, and Dave Nonis is not afraid to break the bank to keep him. I'd also be very careful signing Vanek, extremely hot and cold player ala Gaborik, and will probably want a big contract.
Probably. I have no idea how Kessel likes playing in Toronto. Toronto will throw a lot of money at him though.

Vanek is streaky but is a lot more durable than Gaborik. Right handed shot too. We need one of those. As long as the price is right Vanek would be an excellent acquisition.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Lundsanity30

Vanek-Stepan-Nash?? :drool:

Old
08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Probably. I have no idea how Kessel likes playing in Toronto. Toronto will throw a lot of money at him though.

Vanek is streaky but is a lot more durable than Gaborik. Right handed shot too. We need one of those. As long as the price is right Vanek would be an excellent acquisition.
I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Vanek at all, just PLEASE not on a contract 3+ years in length. I also wonder what other teams will throw at him with the cap supposedly going up, you know some dumbass GM will give him an 8x8 contract with 2 million signing bonus....

Old
08-21-2013, 11:21 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

That's what I'm always afraid of when the Rangers have cap space and Glen Sather is in the shadows. Vanek will be 30 by next summer. It's hard to believe the 2003 class is approaching 30. I'd give up to 4 years, but if he wants a retirement deal, I'm not down for a 7 year deal worth in excess of 50 million.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:03 AM
3rdlineglory
Korsi Kevin

I would love Vanek on the Rangers, but he's most likely gonna get max term. With that you have to watch out with players especially like Vanek. For a star he's not that great of a skater and usually the elites that were never great at skating are usually the first to fall off a cliff. Just look at Dany Heatley.

Vanek is more of a want than a need at this point. The Rangers are decent enough went it comes with wingers, but a team like New Jersey...

Old
08-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
I think our needs right now are a top 6 LW and a 3rd line Center but we might be able to get those two out of Miller, Kristo, or Lindberg

Old
08-22-2013, 12:27 AM
darko

If we were to chase a big ticket free agent (which I'm not in favour of in 1st place), Kessel and Vanek are the guys you chase. Not Joe Thornton.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:31 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Custance on the top D in the NHL

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...enseman-groups

The Canadian camp runs from August 25-28. The US camp is August 26-27.

1-Hawks
2-Bruins
3-Rangers
4-Kings
5-Blues
6-Canucks
7-Coyotes
8-Habs
9-Penguins
10-Sharks

8th overall at forward. 3rd on D. Lundqvist should be in the top 2-3.

Disagree with the bit where it says we thin out at the bottom. Stralman is an excellent bottom pairing D-man and has proved that he can play in top-4 short term. Him and Moore are a good bottom pairing.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Disagree with the bit where it says we thin out at the bottom. Stralman is an excellent bottom pairing D-man and has proved that he can play in top-4 short term. Him and Moore are a good bottom pairing.
I would go as far to say that they're one of the best bottom pairings in the NHL.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:32 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Vanek will get at least @ 7 m$ * 5 years. For a guy who is injury prone due to his style, playing in front of the net and taking the beating to score, even the Austrian homer in me says no thanks.
He's a great player when healthy for sure, and his playmaking ability actually doesn't get enough praise, but honestly, I'd be surprised if he plays until he's 35.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:36 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Custance on the top D in the NHL

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...enseman-groups

The Canadian camp runs from August 25-28. The US camp is August 26-27.

1-Hawks
2-Bruins
3-Rangers
4-Kings
5-Blues
6-Canucks
7-Coyotes
8-Habs
9-Penguins
10-Sharks

8th overall at forward. 3rd on D. Lundqvist should be in the top 2-3.
Personally, I'd take the Rangers' current crop of defenseman, healthy, over any blueline in the league. Boston/Chicago are arguable, but, to me, no team can match the depth through six that the Rangers have.

The Rangers have three first pairing defenseman, two very good second pairing defenseman, and a young, third pairing defenseman with a LOT of room to grow. What team can match that six man unit?

On a side note: Penguins at nine? Huh? Their defense is mediocre at best. They only have two legitimate top-4 defenseman (Letang and Martin; Orpik has declined, he looks to be more of a #5 at this point, but I guess he's a passable #4 option), and the rest of their blueline is severley inexperienced.

Habs in the top-10 is also arguable. Subban is fantastic, but Markov is declining every year, Gorges is coming off a rough season, and it remains to be seen if Emelin (who is very underrated) can bounce back from the sever injury he suffered at season's end.

I'd take Columbus/Winnipeg/Detroit's defense over those two.

-------------

On an overall note, I think this is the most balanced team the Rangers have had in quite some time. The team could use a legitimate top-6 LW, but aside from that, the forward group is twelve men deep and has a good mix of talent and hustle, the defense, as I stated above, is arguably (and IMO), the best in the league, and Lundqvist is objectively the best goaltender in the league. I really like the direction and build of this team moving forward.

08-22-2013, 04:00 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Personally, I'd take the Rangers' current crop of defenseman, healthy, over any blueline in the league. Boston/Chicago are arguable, but, to me, no team can match the depth through six that the Rangers have.

The Rangers have three first pairing defenseman, two very good second pairing defenseman, and a young, third pairing defenseman with a LOT of room to grow. What team can match that six man unit?

On a side note: Penguins at nine? Huh? Their defense is mediocre at best. They only have two legitimate top-4 defenseman (Letang and Martin; Orpik has declined, he looks to be more of a #5 at this point, but I guess he's a passable #4 option), and the rest of their blueline is severley inexperienced.

Habs in the top-10 is also arguable. Subban is fantastic, but Markov is declining every year, Gorges is coming off a rough season, and it remains to be seen if Emelin (who is very underrated) can bounce back from the sever injury he suffered at season's end.

I'd take Columbus/Winnipeg/Detroit's defense over those two.

-------------

On an overall note, I think this is the most balanced team the Rangers have had in quite some time. The team could use a legitimate top-6 LW, but aside from that, the forward group is twelve men deep and has a good mix of talent and hustle, the defense, as I stated above, is arguably (and IMO), the best in the league, and Lundqvist is objectively the best goaltender in the league. I really like the direction and build of this team moving forward.
I definitely take the Rangers group over Boston's, who basically are declining Chara, Seidenberg and not much more. Hamilton has huge potential, but isn't there yet.

Chicago is another matter though, I have their defence as #1. Keith-Seabrook is a cut above any pairing the Rangers can muster, and their 2nd and 3rd pairings put together are on a similar level to the Rangers.

Keith-Seabrook > McDonagh-Girardi
Hjalmarsson-Oduya < Staal-Strålman
Leddy-Rozsival > Del Zotto-Moore

I agree on the other points, Columbus' D is definitely an omission.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:14 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I've always been of the belief that Seabrook is highly overrated. Total product of Keith. He'd be a fine second pairing defenseman on his own, but in no way would he be able to anchor a first pairing like McDonagh or Staal can.

I'd currently take Keith over any of McDonagh/Staal/Girardi, but I'd take Staal/McDonagh over Seabrook without thinking twice. Girardi is better defensively, but Seabrook is better offensively. Call it a wash.

Hawks D over Rangers D is fair, but just for agument's sake, I'd take the Rangers bottom-4 over the Hawks bottom-4 every time.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
I've always been of the belief that Seabrook is highly overrated. Total product of Keith. He'd be a fine second pairing defenseman on his own, but in no way would he be able to anchor a first pairing like McDonagh or Staal can.

I'd currently take Keith over any of McDonagh/Staal/Girardi, but I'd take Staal/McDonagh over Seabrook without thinking twice. Girardi is better defensively, but Seabrook is better offensively. Call it a wash.

Hawks D over Rangers D is fair, but just for agument's sake, I'd take the Rangers bottom-4 over the Hawks bottom-4 every time.
I agree on Seabrook, very similar to Girardi in how he has to be used.

But I disagree on your last point and would like to invert it. I think I take the Rangers' top 4 over the Hawks', but the Hawks' bottom 4 over the Rangers'.

Leddy-Rozisval were given soft minutes but they absolutely dominated them, especially Rozsival. Moore is hard to evaluate since he spent so much of the season in Columbus, but Del Zotto (granted, playing harder minutes than the Hawks duo) just didn't.

While Del Zotto-Moore is a great 3rd pairing, Leddy-Rozsival would be a good 2nd pairing for many teams.

This is just for one season though, the Rangers' D is younger and has more room to grow and would be the one to pick going forward. Hopefully Del Zotto's ES game takes off playing softer minutes under a new coach. I think a new transition game plan will suit him.

But on the other hand I may be putting too much emphasis on the bottom pairings, they are playing less and are therefore having a lesser impact.

Closed Thread