HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Surprise players to make the jump this year. Or surprise cuts.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:12 AM
SuperAlmeida

vCash: 500
Tyler Toffoli for sure, and probably one of Andy Andreoff, Linden Vey or Tanner Pearson. I would love to see Andreoff centering the 4th line.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Beastly Bozak
#FreeJakeGardiner

Morgan Rielly

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:22 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

For the Rangers I could see two of Miller, Lindberg, or Fast starting in the NHL due to injuries and earning full time spots. Wouldn't rule out Danny Kristo either.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:35 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Taylor Beck might not make the Predators' roster out of camp.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:37 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Tyler Toffoli for sure, and probably one of Andy Andreoff, Linden Vey or Tanner Pearson. I would love to see Andreoff centering the 4th line.
Is Toffoli really a surprise though? Andreoff could be the big surprise, anchoring the fourth line and bringing some scoring with him. I doubt Pearson or Vey make it this season - maybe next year. I would love to see Vey in a Kings sweater sooner rather than later, though.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:37 AM
garmonbozia

For the Lightning, Killorn, Gudas & Panik all showed signs of being legit NHLers in their time up last year. I expect all of them to take at least a minor jump into relevance, but, I also believe Panik and Gudas could really run away with more/different responsibilities being added and excelled at.

If Panik can find a little beter timing for putting glorious moves together and get symbiotic chemistry with his linemates (I see reason he'd be the more shoot-first option on a line with Fippula and Purcell) I think he could crack 30 goals and have half be Top10 plays of the night type finishes.

If Gudas can development a little more consistency in fundamentals, added to his already outstanding ability to lay the right hits at the right times, then I think he'll get a lot more attentionnationally. Even more so if he's playing Top 4 + lots of PK and playing the physical foil Carle needs to be at his best.

Killorn I don't expect too much more notable growth. But,he's fundamentally sound and will be thrust into bigger roles for his dependability. Those roles could allow him to take a statiscal jump of note.

Longshot surprise jumps that common sense says need more time but could excel enough to force Yzerman's hand...Kucherov, Sustr, and Brown

At this point anybody but Tyrell, Pyatt, Labrie, Lee, Taormina, or Barbeiro would be a fairly surprising cut. Tyler Johnson should be the 2 or 3 center but will probably have ups and downs. Connolly could go either way without much surprise depending on how his camp goes.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I think Lindberg makes the Rangers

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
How's he progressed since the draft? He was really hyped and for a time was in the conversation for number 1.
I guess I can't really say how well he played for Red Deer. I've really only seen him play at the prospect camp last month. He looked pretty good in the little bit I saw. He must have impressed management enough during last season's compressed training camp to stay with the Wild for the nine games last season. Although he never played, it seemed more like it was a chance to give him a taste of the NHL life. I think he'll get a legitimate chance this season. He going to have to impress, as he isn't AHL eligible.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:08 AM
mrinsane

Drewiske, Dumont to AHL vs Tinordi and McCaron in NHL and Moen could be replace by Blunden

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:24 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I think Handzus was re-signed for that role
I assumed he would shift between centering Hossa and Sharp and centering Kruger and Smith, depending on the play of Pirri

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Melart for the CBJ,

Jarmo picked him up from the Finnish league where he played on a bigger ice surface. If he can play D there, he should be better on a smaller (albeit faster) surface. He's only 24 and moving into the prime years of his career. I picture him following the career path of Jan Hejda turning into a top 4 shutdown d-man. He had a good training camp and outside of Prout, the CBJ are in need of PK/Shutdown types on D.
Depth player at best, not good enough hockey sense/skills for bigger role.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Hejda is so much smarter though. Melart could become a 3rd pairing enforcer type of defenseman if his physical game translates well to the NHL. He has a tendency to disrupt the rhythm of a game with an ill-timed ugly hit.

His passing is ok, but it could be so much better..
As soon as I read this I confess I immediately thought of OKT and cringed. (I've seen very little of Melart, so I don't have much data to work with...)

I've suspected from the start that he's here to be the #7 guy so others can develop.

Oh, and the rationale that we need PK types is a little silly. Special teams of all kinds - PK and PP both - is where JMFJ particularly shines. We certainly wouldn't turn such players down out of hand, but it's not exactly a glaring deficiency on the blueline here.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinsane View Post
Drewiske, Dumont to AHL vs Tinordi and McCaron in NHL and Moen could be replace by Blunden
McCarron has a negative chance of making the NHL this season.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

For the Habs Tinordi might make it full time. Leblanc might surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Damon Severson has a outside chance of making the Devils roster.

He would have to hop Urbom/Merrill/Gelinas.

I doubt he makes it but the team is extremely high on him.
Has he really been that impressive in the summer camps and such?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:26 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Obviously, with the injuries of Souray and Beauchemin, the younger guys like Vatanen and Lindholm could step up from the get go.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:34 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

Has he really been that impressive in the summer camps and such?
No idea, but Lou mentioned him in the list of young D-Men who had a chance at an NHL slot

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Gallagher was the popular pick two years ago and last year for a surprise player to make it.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are the popular picks, but I'll be keeping an eye on Nygren for the Habs. They have a history of finding and incorporating overage offensive defenceman prospects into the lineup (a la Streit and Diaz).

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:17 AM
JFleegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
For the Lightning, Killorn, Gudas & Panik all showed signs of being legit NHLers in their time up last year. I expect all of them to take at least a minor jump into relevance, but, I also believe Panik and Gudas could really run away with more/different responsibilities being added and excelled at.

If Panik can find a little beter timing for putting glorious moves together and get symbiotic chemistry with his linemates (I see reason he'd be the more shoot-first option on a line with Fippula and Purcell) I think he could crack 30 goals and have half be Top10 plays of the night type finishes.

If Gudas can development a little more consistency in fundamentals, added to his already outstanding ability to lay the right hits at the right times, then I think he'll get a lot more attentionnationally. Even more so if he's playing Top 4 + lots of PK and playing the physical foil Carle needs to be at his best.

Killorn I don't expect too much more notable growth. But,he's fundamentally sound and will be thrust into bigger roles for his dependability. Those roles could allow him to take a statiscal jump of note.

Longshot surprise jumps that common sense says need more time but could excel enough to force Yzerman's hand...Kucherov, Sustr, and Brown

At this point anybody but Tyrell, Pyatt, Labrie, Lee, Taormina, or Barbeiro would be a fairly surprising cut. Tyler Johnson should be the 2 or 3 center but will probably have ups and downs. Connolly could go either way without much surprise depending on how his camp goes.

Agree with this 100%..I was going to say big surprises would be Kucherov and Sustr, yet I think Yzerman will be patient with both no need to rush either of them with the depth we have.

JFleegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
just gonna go offboard and say fedun and lander for Edmonton.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:06 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
just gonna go offboard and say fedun and lander for Edmonton.
At this point, the 4th line C spot is Lander's to lose. I don't see him making the roster a big surprise.

Fedun making it would be a surprise though given our log jam of depth Dmen.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Melart for the CBJ,

Jarmo picked him up from the Finnish league where he played on a bigger ice surface. If he can play D there, he should be better on a smaller (albeit faster) surface. He's only 24 and moving into the prime years of his career. I picture him following the career path of Jan Hejda turning into a top 4 shutdown d-man. He had a good training camp and outside of Prout, the CBJ are in need of PK/Shutdown types on D.
Melart might be good, but I am not sure about your reasoning. If that were true, every European D would be better in the NHL than they were in their original league. .

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
Which surprise players do you think are going to make your team this year or any other team for that matter? Players that people aren't expecting.
As a devils fan it was urbom a couple of years ago and there is maybe a roster spot open for one of him, Merrill or gelinas this year. But I think that Reid Boucher is given a shot for the first 8-9 games(cant remember how many players are allowed before it counts as year on their status). I'm also thinking they cut josefson to give Reid a chance as they have centre depth and maybe bring josefson up after the 8-9 games, unless he has to clear waivers to go down then they keep him up. I finally think tedenby will be given a chance to play an offensive role as I feel as though he was never given a fair shot.
Anyways. Lets here about your team.
Well Etem has already made our team but expectation wise? it might be off topic of the op, but Emerson Etem for the Ducks is getting 30 goals and 30 assists. Kid is going to have a breakout year.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Well Etem has already made our team but expectation wise? it might be off topic of the op, but Emerson Etem for the Ducks is getting 30 goals and 30 assists. Kid is going to have a breakout year.
That seems ambitious to me... very ambitious...

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Prairie Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
I could see Danault winding up on the third line with Saad and Shaw in Chicago. Also Chris Bigras ending up being a standout rookie in Colorado
I would love for Danault to make it. That kid is all heart and hustle.

Prairie Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Dema

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Melart might be good, but I am not sure about your reasoning. If that were true, every European D would be better in the NHL than they were in their original league. .
I'm no expert/scout so I don't know what he is going to be, just see him having the best chance to "surprise" on that team. He might be OKT as someone else pointed out which is a good comparison, or he might not even get a chance to play in the NHL with all the depth CBJ has on D.

But IMO (and Jarmo's ) I think he has a shot at surprising people.

And no, I don't think all euro dmen will do good in the NHL.

Last edited by Dema: 08-22-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Answer Quoted Question
Dema is offline   Reply With Quote