HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Finally Spezza gets to shine.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
newerabegins

vCash: 500
There's still a possibility Phillips gets the 'C', it's a two horse race between him and Spezza.

It all comes down to what management has planned for Phillips. If they're thinking of re-signing him for another two years, I think he'll be Captain. If not, it's all Spezza's.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
There's still a possibility Phillips gets the 'C', it's a two horse race between him and Spezza.

It all comes down to what management has planned for Phillips. If they're thinking of re-signing him for another two years, I think he'll be Captain. If not, it's all Spezza's.
With Borowiecki getting a one-way for 2014-15, the writing is on the wall. Buh-bye Philly

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
robsenz

Except that Boro isn't as good as a hockey player

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I'd rather give it to Methot than Phillips at this point, not sure how that would go over though. Perceptions of leaders vs who is actually respected and important in the room is very different. The Habs have a player like this, one who is hugely respected in the media as a leader but is not liked by several players. I think most players on our team respect Methot a ton.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:16 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Classless, no rispek

As a franchise, we tend to worry about hurting players' feelings a lot. And who can blame us, we are a small market and need the good players to be happy while thriving in order to succeed and keep them in town.

This is where things get awkward. "Stripping" players of letters. However, I was getting so used to seeing Neil with an A I had just assumed it was a full time thing. This is why I thought the A should stay with Neil. The whole respect thing. Spezza's absence didn't even occur to me until MAK's comment.

In light of this realization, in my opinion Neil shouldn't get the other full-time A. It should go to Karlsson. Guys he's not a teenager anymore. He's a grown-ass man.

Phillips shouldn't get the C. His play is declining and he will be out the door soon. Ya he's a great leader in the playoffs, so let him keep his A. If I had my way, Methot would get it. But respect the Rig.

And as for this lingering Neil BS, I really don't think our hothead role-playing fighter should be the captain of our franchise. I love Neil like the rest of you, and a great locker-room guy, but come on. See it for what it is. Do you really see him calmly talking to refs by the ref circle each game? It would be a joke.

Ideally, I'd like this for next season:

C - Giggles
A - Karlsson
A - Methot

Unfortunately, I think Phillips for sure, and a good chance Neil, get the A's.

I just want to get the full "new era" underway, and that means Hot Karl and Methot as the future leaders.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
Bobby Ryan for captain
I just want to get the full "new era" underway, and that means Bobby Ryan as the future leader.
You make an interesting point

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsenz View Post
Neither is Gryba yet he was on our 1st pairing for half the year . BORO 2014

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
You make an interesting point
What the heck... I see what you...

Well if Ryan does re-sign in 2 years and he emmerges as a leader, then ya we can discuss letters for him. In the meantime, there's no reason to slap an A (or C for that matter) on his chest right now.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsenz View Post
But Boro won't be replacing Phillips but his roster spot. I think that on the left side Methot, Cowen & Wiercioch will occupy those spots with Boro as the extra which is why Phillips should not be re-signed. On the right side they have Karlsson, Corvo & Gryba for this season & Phillips can play either side. IMO however, Ceci will be playing in Ottawa near the end of this coming season & maybe he will be playing in the playoffs but he should be full time on the roster in 2014-2015 season. Ottawa will still have some decent defencemen prospects playing in Bingo in Sdao, Claesson & Rutkowski.

2014-2015 Season Defencemen:
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci (Wiercioch & Cowen could be switched)
Cowen - Gryba/Boroweicki

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
As a franchise, we tend to worry about hurting players' feelings a lot. And who can blame us, we are a small market and need the good players to be happy while thriving in order to succeed and keep them in town.

This is where things get awkward. "Stripping" players of letters. However, I was getting so used to seeing Neil with an A I had just assumed it was a full time thing. This is why I thought the A should stay with Neil. The whole respect thing. Spezza's absence didn't even occur to me until MAK's comment.

In light of this realization, in my opinion Neil shouldn't get the other full-time A. It should go to Karlsson. Guys he's not a teenager anymore. He's a grown-ass man.

Phillips shouldn't get the C. His play is declining and he will be out the door soon. Ya he's a great leader in the playoffs, so let him keep his A. If I had my way, Methot would get it. But respect the Rig.

And as for this lingering Neil BS, I really don't think our hothead role-playing fighter should be the captain of our franchise. I love Neil like the rest of you, and a great locker-room guy, but come on. See it for what it is. Do you really see him calmly talking to refs by the ref circle each game? It would be a joke.

Ideally, I'd like this for next season:

C - Giggles
A - Karlsson
A - Methot

Unfortunately, I think Phillips for sure, and a good chance Neil, get the A's.

I just want to get the full "new era" underway, and that means Hot Karl and Methot as the future leaders.

Uhm.... Neil wore an A because he is a vocal and respected leader in the room, 4th in line for the C. Use your common sense guys, it wasn't a random selection, when one guy with a letter goes down, the next guy in line gets it. MAK would have you believe that since Neil only wore it when Spezza was out that that means he was not "really" an alternate captain, and that's twisted logic. The reality is it shows that he was the next guy on the list for a letter due to his real-life role on the team as perceived by the coaching staff and players. Logically this would mean that if a guy above him is removed, that he would gain an A full time (It always strikes me as odd when posters here talk of such things as choosing captains as though they have more intelligent insight than those who actually make the decisions. They choose to use their own flawed logic than relying actual decisions made in front of them. Hubris?).

A lot of what have you done for me lately folks in here, lot of new fans, and gamers, who are willing to toss our players away the second a shiney thing crosses their path. The reality is that Neil has done far more as a hockey player than Karlsson has to date (not saying he is more skilled), and is a seasoned vet who lives and dies for the sens and the players on his team. He is in essence a perfect player to wear the A, he's not some 4th line transient goon that some of you are making him out to be.

Unfortunately 23 really isn't a "grown-ass man" either, Young man for sure, but with a isht ton of learning to do.

What some of you are forgetting is that Karlsson and the rest of our young players need to focus on developing their games, especially ones that have had significant injuries, rather than focusing on developing their leadership skills in expanded roles. They are better served looking up to quality players and asking questions, then they are being the focus for other equally young players. The best player isn't always your best leader.

The Captain and alternates have an expanded role on the team and are best held by experienced and respected veterans that the young players look up to. Guys who carry themselves professionally and have knowledge and skills to pass on.

We have a history here, a short one sure, and class, which is why you don't see up start rookies with letter and such like you do in some organizations. You earn the letter with time on the team and time in the league, and you need to be someone that the rest of the team will look up to and listen to. In my opinion, while the team seems to love Karlsson, he's not in a position to fill that role yet. On a lesser team that doesn't cherish tradition and use the letters as an honour, sure, but not the Murray-run sens.

Spezza, Phillips, and Neil are the three obvious choices for letters, Methot is not far behind either.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:43 PM
DrunkUncleDenis
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Uhm.... Neil wore an A because he is a vocal and respected leader in the room, 4th in line for the C. Use your common sense guys, it wasn't a random selection, when one guy with a letter goes down, the next guy in line gets it. MAK would have you believe that since Neil only wore it when Spezza was out that that means he was not "really" an alternate captain, and that's twisted logic. The reality is it shows that he was the next guy on the list for a letter due to his real-life role on the team as perceived by the coaching staff and players. Logically this would mean that if a guy above him is removed, that he would gain an A full time (It always strikes me as odd when posters here talk of such things as choosing captains as though they have more intelligent insight than those who actually make the decisions. They choose to use their own flawed logic than relying actual decisions made in front of them. Hubris?)
Then what the heck are we all doing here? Also, did Neil start the year with an A last year? If he didn't, then my logic is not scewed as you say. I don't know the answer to this though.

Quote:
A lot of what have you done for me lately folks in here, lot of new fans, and gamers, who are willing to toss our players away the second a shiney thing crosses their path. The reality is that Neil has done far more as a hockey player than Karlsson has to date (not saying he is more skilled), and is a seasoned vet who lives and dies for the sens and the players on his team. He is in essence a perfect player to wear the A, he's not some 4th line transient goon that some of you are making him out to be.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. That’s pro sports, you can't just rest on your laurels after you accomplish something and expect things to be handed to you. However, in no way is Neil doing this, so I don't understand the relevance of your statement.

Quote:
Unfortunately 23 really isn't a "grown-ass man" either, Young man for sure, but with a isht ton of learning to do.
Well, with the way he carries himself, he is a lot closer to Jonathan Toews than Tyler Seguin. He is ready for it. Good point about focusing on getting his game back though, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Spezza, Phillips, and Neil are the three obvious choices for letters, Methot is not far behind either.
Exactly what I said would be the case at the end of my post. I just don't agree with it.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:03 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
With Borowiecki getting a one-way for 2014-15, the writing is on the wall. Buh-bye Philly
Why people are so anxious to get rid of Phillips is beyond me. He's played his entire career here, wants to play here, and while no longer the premier shut down defenseman he used to be is still a very reliable bottom pair vet with spades of leadership.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 210
Er.....is there any rule against having 3 guys with the A?

If there isn't, I'd gladly hand the third one to #65. Would also be a great way to bring the younger guys fully into the team.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Quo
ragtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Er.....is there any rule against having 3 guys with the A?
Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Rulebook, S6
6.2 Alternate Captains – If the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter “A” approximately three inches (3'') in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.

Only when the Captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Well, shucks. Damned silly rules.

Old
08-21-2013, 08:46 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Yes...
Having rotating assistants is permittable and very common throughout the league, though.

08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Only when the Captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Having rotating assistants is permittable and very common throughout the league, though.
Not a bad idea.

Would love to start getting a couple of the younger core guys involved in the leadership of the team. Having one of the As rotate every month would accomplish that.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Quo
ragtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Right you can't have a captain and three alternates but you can just roll three alternates. Nac's question was can you have a captain + three alternates. No. It's either three alternates or a captain and two alternates. The limit is three letters any way you slice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
True. What we did last year. Would be cool with that if they decided to continue.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

There is no reason to have 3 A's on the team. Spezza deserves it.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:10 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...638/story.html

The part about Phillips 'not buckling' in the play-offs was ironic...

I guess the author missed our little trip to the Finals.

Phillips has always played his best hockey in the playoffs. Im not sure how anyone could say otherwise.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Stassino

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I say Neil for captain, but Spezza is definently an under-appreciated player
Can't have someone with more PIMs then Games Played on an annual basis be the Captain... Just doesn't work.

That said.. Love the guy..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Magix

They sure are taking their sweet time.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:03 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Phillips has always played his best hockey in the playoffs. Im not sure how anyone could say otherwise.
I would pick Phillips to wear the "C".

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:20 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Phillips wearing the C is a no-no. The guy will be on our 3rd pairing and he makes so many bone-headed moves. No matter how much he raises his game, he either needs to be a consistent force or a leader with great skill.

It goes to Spezza.

Even Spezza I am unsure of mainly because he isn't as consistent sometimes and I will guarantee he will be thrown under the bus after the first few slumps.

I think he has evolved enough as an overall player to get the C though.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote