HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Broker: Vancouver Heritage Classic tickets not selling well

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Broker: Vancouver Heritage Classic tickets not selling well

http://www.news1130.com/2013/08/21/h...g-well-broker/

Broker reports that tickets are moving slowly. Reasons given include: abundance of outdoor games, high prices (broker recommends waiting until closer to event as prices might drop), and lack of "best" Canadian opponent.

I have to wonder at the marketing. You'd think they would be marketing to more than the Vancouver market.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.news1130.com/2013/08/21/h...g-well-broker/

Broker reports that tickets are moving slowly. Reasons given include: abundance of outdoor games, high prices (broker recommends waiting until closer to event as prices might drop), and lack of "best" Canadian opponent.

I have to wonder at the marketing. You'd think they would be marketing to more than the Vancouver market.
I could agree with all the reasons other than abundance of outdoor games. How many have Vancouver had? None.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:50 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Other than the prices, I really don't see those as potential problems. One potential deal I see is that the game isn't until March. Why rush to get them in August, unless you're going for really close seats?

Old
08-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Duh the market won't support jacked up prices for an inferior product (bad sightlines, distance from ice).

Old
08-22-2013, 10:07 AM
lush
@jasonlush

I would be curious to see how the price per ticket to average local income ratio looks for this game compared to other outdoor games. The game hasn't been marketed even a little bit from what I can tell. If there are tickets left by the start of the season (which it seems will be the case) you'll start to see marketing. One thing I've noticed about the Canucks is that it doesn't seem like they're willing to spend on marketing unless they actually need to, which of course makes sense. I suspect we'll see marketing start in mid-fall and the game sell out sometime in Feb.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:12 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Reasons given include: abundance of outdoor games
Nahh, as said, we've never had one before so it'd still be special to watch for us, even if it wouldn't be for people that aren't Sens or Canucks fans.
Quote:
high prices (broker recommends waiting until closer to event as prices might drop)
Yes, they are gruesome. Apparently the NHL set them too, not the Canucks, although Canucks tickets are getting too expensive for me to want to go anymore either. If the prices do drop I'd be happy to go, but I think it's hard for the average fan to get stoked this early before the season and go out and buy one, and I think the more hardcore fan already has reservations based on what they know about the sightlines at such games. I mean, I'd LOVE to go for the atmosphere, but the current cost isn't worth the atmosphere to me.
Quote:
and lack of "best" Canadian opponent.
Strangely, I wouldn't be surprised if the two best Canadian teams are in this game, and, if the Sens stay healthy, that they aren't, in fact, the best AND MOST EXCITING Canadian team next year.

Quote:
It's so early, I assume it'll kick in. No need to spend money marketing heavily if people are buying the tickets. Once that stops, they'll start marketing I suppose.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Duh the market won't support jacked up prices for an inferior product (bad sightlines, distance from ice).
Exactly, especially when you consider the CFL field is bigger then an NFL field the crowd will be even farther away.

Not everyone who attends these events live says it was a great experience, and I can see why.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Rocko604

But BC Place does have that ginormous video screen hanging above the centre of the field. If the sight lines are bad, you can watch that.

No joke, that's the exact reason the BC Lions made upper bowl prices the same as the lower bowl.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

It's Ottawa, not Toronto, Montreal, or an Alberta team. I doubt many people in Vancouver could care less about the Senators, so that may play a part in it.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Wildcarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
It's Ottawa, not Toronto, Montreal, or an Alberta team. I doubt many people in Vancouver could care less about the Senators, so that may play a part in it.
It's not that the Sens are bad, far from it actually....it's just that they aren't really...hated (or loved) by Vancouver fans.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:51 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Well, it's a good thing that there's a lot of time before the game itself. I'm sure that even with "slow" sales they'll have little trouble selling that place out in the coming months.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

hopefully the broker realized this isn't a Justin Bieber concert and these things will take some time to sell out. but rest assured it will sell out.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
StrictlyCommercial

$93 to $318 = me not going.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
NoShowWilly

i didnt even know they were on sale yet.

EDIT: ah only for STH. prices are bs

Old
08-22-2013, 02:20 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Yeah I dont blame you. I mean I can almost see the appeal for places where its a different expereince, like an outdoor game in teh cold. But the Vancouver stadium is almost completely covered. Its basicially paying a premium to watch an indoor game with worse seats than any other regular game.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:09 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah I dont blame you. I mean I can almost see the appeal for places where its a different expereince, like an outdoor game in teh cold. But the Vancouver stadium is almost completely covered. Its basicially paying a premium to watch an indoor game with worse seats than any other regular game.
Not only that, but it will probably be the worst for viewing of any of the stadium events because of the CFL field.

This event is really not worth the premium trying to be placed on these seats for BC Place.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Not only that, but it will probably be the worst for viewing of any of the stadium events because of the CFL field.

This event is really not worth the premium trying to be placed on these seats for BC Place.
During the 2010 Winter Olympics Proposal for Vancouver, they were proposing that the Gold Medal Game for Hockey be played at BC Place Stadium (and that was before the extensive Stadium Renovation). Logistically, it wouldn't have made sense for the Men's Final since it occurred on the final day of the games.

These stadium events for the actual spectators that attend as you state don't offer optimal viewing experience and I suspect most that attend would be watching the action on the video scoreboard almost as much as the playing rink itself.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Tinalera

Just throwing this out there: could the "abundance of outdoor games" reason relate more to the fact that it's not a "unique" event for the year-that combined with the week of outdoor games elsewhere and the Winter Classic-even though those games aren't going in Canada-the idea that this isn't a 'unique' even for the year, but rather (marketing wise), it's seen as just one of a slew of outdoor events, lessening the "special" nature.

Just trying to see another reason for that reasoning

Old
08-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Chip Chipperson

vCash: 50
Why would anyone care about an Ottawa Vs. Vancouver game? There is no rivalry at all, the teams rarely see each other, this was bound to fail from the start.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Confucius

Have they advertised to all the hockey fans in Portland and Seattle? The Nucks could be missing that pot of gold.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Yeah no kidding. And you're paying probably minimum $200 for legitimate seats where you aren't watching the game through binoculars. Plus I'd label it a "semi-outdoor" game since all BC Place has is the open roof ... and it'll likely be raining anyway. Rather see a regular 'Nucks game at the Rog.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:31 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Have they advertised to all the hockey fans in Portland and Seattle? The Nucks could be missing that pot of gold.
I think theres a family re-union in Minnesota that week.

The NHL killed the outdoor game this year. They're all going to be disasters. There's nothing to justify the outrageous prices they're charging when these things are a dime a dozen.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
dukeofjive

i cant figure out where to buy tickets for the heritage classic in van, anybody know where, i checked ebay and the tickets are already close to 300

Old
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Im sure canucks fans would be more inclined to go to the heritage classic if the Oilers, flames, leafs or habs come instead of the sens... nothing special about a sens/ canucks matchup imho... cant speak for canicks fans though.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcarder View Post
It's not that the Sens are bad, far from it actually....it's just that they aren't really...hated (or loved) by Vancouver fans.
I just believe that no one really cares about the sens no matter how good they could be..

Closed Thread