HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2013, 08:19 AM
  #51
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,451
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I like the morning show....they give me prizes.
I like the show too, I like the balance of personalities, the guys seems like they like eachother (not always the case with Morning Shows) and they have a nice balance, imo, with info, sports talk and entertainment.

I may be a bit in the minority on this, but Nielson and Fraser just entertaining and goofing really makes the show alot better then just a heavy heavy sports only show.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:24 AM
  #52
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,937
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
So Dan Tencer is finally taken off Oilers after shows and won't be covering Oilers hockey as soon as they find a replacement with his new 'promotion' (Thank you!).

Anyone else hear about this?
I refuse to believe that. The number one rule in life is that it's not fair, to Tencer will still be all over CHED.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:43 AM
  #53
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
During the summer I get to listen a lot at various times of the day. On Tuesday, Strudwick (for Lowetide) and Graham (for Gregor) had different guys from Detroit talking about the Lions. This morning what team was being discussed? The Detroit Lions (by a 3rd Motown media member).

I enjoy the NFL previews but I don't think every show needs to do every team. It wouldn't take a lot of coordinating to cover each NFL club once. The podcasts (if working) take care of those who can't tune in when their team is being previewed.
Ya heaven for bid we hear 10 minutes x3 about the same thing

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
  #54
bigguy13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
I cannot stand to hear the nasally voiced matt ewanyk or however you spell it. I was listening to Matt and Matts replacement today and wanted to choke myself, they just sound like immature kids...just saying

bigguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
  #55
Thrill22
Feelin' it
 
Thrill22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
That's funny, I like when Iwanyk is filling in for Spec or whomever - I think he's got some good stuff

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:23 PM
  #56
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Ya heaven for bid we hear 10 minutes x3 about the same thing
That's not really the issue. My problem is with the teams that are not getting covered, while others (often the host's favourites) get more than one preview.

This isn't really that big of a deal to me- a very loyal TEAM listener who rarely complains about anything specific like this.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
  #57
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,451
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
That's not really the issue. My problem is with the teams that are not getting covered, while others (often the host's favourites) get more than one preview.

This isn't really that big of a deal to me- a very loyal TEAM listener who rarely complains about anything specific like this.
There are a TON of teams, you can't JUST cover the Broncos, Seahawks and Cowboys. Many listeners are gamblers, fantasy football guys, know what all the teams are doing is somewhat important.

Also, the Team, as a station, don't expect people to listen All day, so if you do, in some spots they might sound "repetitive", this is why they will replay interviews from one show on another.

Look, the reality is this is the slowest time of the year, baseball still has a long way to go (and the Jays suck), Hockey's in it's "waiting" period, the Esks suck and the NFL is just starting up, so covering that makes sense.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:30 AM
  #58
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy13 View Post
I cannot stand to hear the nasally voiced matt ewanyk or however you spell it. I was listening to Matt and Matts replacement today and wanted to choke myself, they just sound like immature kids...just saying
I agree

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:02 AM
  #59
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
There are a TON of teams, you can't JUST cover the Broncos, Seahawks and Cowboys. Many listeners are gamblers, fantasy football guys, know what all the teams are doing is somewhat important.

Also, the Team, as a station, don't expect people to listen All day, so if you do, in some spots they might sound "repetitive", this is why they will replay interviews from one show on another.

Look, the reality is this is the slowest time of the year, baseball still has a long way to go (and the Jays suck), Hockey's in it's "waiting" period, the Esks suck and the NFL is just starting up, so covering that makes sense.
What does any of that have to do with covering some teams multiple times, while not covering any teams at all?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:22 PM
  #60
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,451
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What does any of that have to do with covering some teams multiple times, while not covering any teams at all?
Nothing I guess, I mean it's like all the show act independant from eachother or something.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
  #61
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Not sports related and I don't remember her name but a few months The Team 1260 hired a new traffic dolt. I'd listen in the morning and she always sounded like she was half asleep with her droll, unemotional, disengaged voice.

I think someone complained because all of a sudden she sounded like they didn't have to wake her from her morning nap to do the traffic. She always sounded fully awake for the afternoon traffic so maybe she just came out of announcer school where she never took any classes before 11 a.m.

More on topic, I love Jason Strudwick. I met him a few months ago and he's a nice guy. I love his wit and his laugh, plus he gives a player's perspective to everything.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
  #62
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
More on topic, I love Jason Strudwick. I met him a few months ago and he's a nice guy. I love his wit and his laugh, plus he gives a player's perspective to everything.
I still remember when gregor was pretending to give a players perspective and Strudwick shot him down, it was gold.

Then the whole escrow thing where Struds told him the players just simply hated it and Gregor went off on how could millionaires care about losing a percentage of their cheque that they get back anyway. Struds had a hard time convincing Gregor that players are human and it doesn't matter how much you make, that anyone hates given up money for any reason of your pay stub.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:51 AM
  #63
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Brownlee doesn't even try. Guy wanted Steckel for a lot of years yet he goes and talks about how once he got the 2.5mil contract he wanted nothing to do with him.

Good on Gregor doing the 15 seconds of research to call him on it.

Even on Grabovski I didn't really get his take on the guy.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:58 AM
  #64
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Not sports related and I don't remember her name but a few months The Team 1260 hired a new traffic dolt. I'd listen in the morning and she always sounded like she was half asleep with her droll, unemotional, disengaged voice.

I think someone complained because all of a sudden she sounded like they didn't have to wake her from her morning nap to do the traffic. She always sounded fully awake for the afternoon traffic so maybe she just came out of announcer school where she never took any classes before 11 a.m.

More on topic, I love Jason Strudwick. I met him a few months ago and he's a nice guy. I love his wit and his laugh, plus he gives a player's perspective to everything.
Agreed, she was really bad. This was the girl AFTER Kristen Campbell, the guy they have now is pretty downright awful. Are these interns that do 3 month contracts? I think KC was the best of the bunch so far.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  #65
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
The stories from Struds is a game changer for me. I love hearing the behind the scenes.

They have Kavis Reed on too much. I know it's a slow month for sports, but Kavis and his horrible clock/playcalling management rubs me the wrong way when he tries to justify his actions. Too much Eskies talk imo.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
  #66
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
The stories from Struds is a game changer for me. I love hearing the behind the scenes.

They have Kavis Reed on too much. I know it's a slow month for sports, but Kavis and his horrible clock/playcalling management rubs me the wrong way when he tries to justify his actions. Too much Eskies talk imo.
Even if the Esks were the top in the league I wouldn't want Kavis on, he puts me to sleep.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
  #67
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
I cant stand the BS cell company ad's there so full of ****...

I didnt think it was posiable to be worse then the RV comercail but they have done it
hahah I complain about that STUPID RV commercial ALL THE TIME. Fack is it bad. The droning sound of the stupid RV makes me turn it off instantly.

The cell company commercials are hilarious because literally no one has any pity on cell phone companies in Canada.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
  #68
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Even if the Esks were the top in the league I wouldn't want Kavis on, he puts me to sleep.
He sounds lethargic right? I swear I picture him sitting with bath robe on the toilet with a bowl of cereal when he's on the air.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:07 AM
  #69
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
He sounds lethargic right? I swear I picture him sitting with bath robe on the toilet with a bowl of cereal when he's on the air.


Now i will be listening to hear him eating his cereal.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:12 AM
  #70
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post


Now i will be listening to hear him eating his cereal.
He was on this morning, and for the first time in awhile (besides the RV commercials) I had to change the station. Just couldn't listen to the guy anymore! His pregame motivational speech is embarrassing..haha...

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
  #71
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 50
I love listening to the Team 1260, but some of those repetitive commercials have to go.

I end up either switching stations or turning the damned radio off because it all seems to be commercials.

I know advertising has to be done and radio relies on the revenue it accrues, but, for myself anyways, most of the companies that advertise on 1260 will never see a dime from me. Not because I may not be interested in purchasing anything anyways, but more or less because their ads have turned me off of the product.

That's probably just me though.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
  #72
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I love listening to the Team 1260, but some of those repetitive commercials have to go.

I end up either switching stations or turning the damned radio off because it all seems to be commercials.

I know advertising has to be done and radio relies on the revenue it accrues, but, for myself anyways, most of the companies that advertise on 1260 will never see a dime from me. Not because I may not be interested in purchasing anything anyways, but more or less because their ads have turned me off of the product.

That's probably just me though.
You don't like the "STS mailbox"? I have it on cue, everytime Gregor mentions the mailbox I know that short Scorpion Truck Stop commercial is coming.

Or how Eric Thomas says, "email bag"

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
  #73
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Yeah, Team 1260 is alone as far as having repetitive radio commercials.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  #74
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 6964
I can't drive by a Spence Diamonds without going in. Shawn has convinced me the only way to really say "I love you" or "You are the most precious thing in my life" is to drop a couple K on some diamonds.

And I'm not even seeing anyone right now. Those are powerful, powerful ads.

When I finally meet Mrs. Right I will be ready.





Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
  #75
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I can't drive by a Spence Diamonds without going in. Shawn has convinced me the only way to really say "I love you" or "You are the most precious thing in my life" is to drop a couple K on some diamonds.

And I'm not even seeing anyone right now. Those are powerful, powerful ads.

When I finally meet Mrs. Right I will be ready.




Spence runs the most passive aggressive advertising I've ever witnessed.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.