HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Stephpa10

vCash: 500
i like if it pushes Boullion to 7th or 8th, Murray was good enough for Pits to go get last year, he will be good for us, plus we didn't need to over pay, now if he works out we can extend him, if he doesn't we let him go. good deal MB

man i can't wait for the season to start

Old
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Uber Coca

I like this. Didn't read the thread but I can't understand how you could hate a low risk/high reward type of contract.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's not going to wreck the team long-term, but those small bad moves are adding up. And while it's good that Bergevin is only messing up in the margins, it doesn't bode well for when he eventually needs to do something significant.

In his defense, the more significant moves he's made have been good (MaxPac extension, Ryder-Cole trade) or at least debatable (Subban bridge deal, Price contract).
Well I don't think this move makes the Habs any better or any worse...it just adds a different element they didn't have and IMO, were severely lacking (a dmen capable of making life difficult for opposing players in Price's crease - something that can't be quantified in numbers/stats).

I really have trouble understanding how this is a 'bad' move...

Old
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by respect the D View Post
seeing this video, he looks alot like Emelin with those hits.
Like Emelin, you see the size/bulk but STILL get surprised by how solid they are when you hit them. The term 'brick **** (poop) house' was invented for guys like this.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
This forum is hilarious, first Briere is finished and now Murray is too. It's like you just want to pity yourselves. Murray is not a depth move, he'll end up playing 18-20 minutes a game, and his time i bet won't go down much when Emelin gets back. He can't skate well, but he's a veteran enough to play positionally well, and he hits like a truck. Excellent signing.
He played 17min/g in the regular season, 15min/g in the playoffs last year. I doubt his steep decline has gone into reverse this offseason.

Old
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephpa10 View Post
i like if it pushes Boullion to 7th or 8th, Murray was good enough for Pits to go get last year, he will be good for us, plus we didn't need to over pay, now if he works out we can extend him, if he doesn't we let him go. good deal MB

man i can't wait for the season to start
Bouillon is an overall better D than Murray. And either way, Therrien ain't benching his boy.

Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The problem with the PK was therrien and his staff coming in and trying to fix what wasn't broken. Who was the big tough guy clearing the crease the year before when we dominated on the pk?
Very true, but we had Hal Gill part of the year, and Subban was used more often. This year we had Daiz and Bouillon out there far too much.

Coaching staff really messed around with the pk last year, but Murray is going to help.

Old
Ishmael

I like it because it give Therrien more (and varied) tools in his toolbox that he can use to tweak his roster for each game.

Also: injuries. It seems some are forgetting the impact injuries have throughout the long season. It's nice to have a good veteran to plug holes or fill in when the inevitable injuries happen.

Finally, competition.

Old
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He played 17min/g in the regular season, 15min/g in the playoffs last year. I doubt his step decline has gone into reverse this offseason.
He and parros have been working on facial hair powered rocket skates.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
sampollock

GREAT TO see the habs get tougher, Murray needs to make the crease a place to fear a bit, guys like marchant and knobs like that will pay.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:06 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Quote:
His shape is more bouncer than defenceman. His look is more biker than athlete. His hair is more Mike Ricci than the average hockey do. Hes an Ivy Leaguer with a degree in hotel administration from Cornell, where he got together with some classmates and invented where but college would a thing like this be developed? a hands-free, three-spout beer keg tap that he now markets.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Roulin

Quote:
He and parros have been working on facial hair powered rocket skates.
That would be an awesome surprise!

Old
08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He played 17min/g in the regular season, 15min/g in the playoffs last year. I doubt his steep decline has gone into reverse this offseason.
Fine, 15-17 minutes. Way to nitpick buddy.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I like it because it give Therrien more (and varied) tools in his toolbox that he can use to tweak his roster for each game.

Also: injuries. It seems some are forgetting the impact injuries have throughout the long season. It's nice to have a good veteran to plug holes or fill in when the inevitable injuries happen.

Finally, competition.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Because Bouillon, Drewiskie, Diaz, Gorges and Markov all lack that capable physical presence and are poke-first players.

Emelin, Murray and Tinordi bring another style and alternatives are always better for depth. Especially in the whack-ass defensive scheme we play.

By the by, as overlords said, his new nickname is Yeti.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Bouillon, murray and drewiske as depth is a bit concerning, i admit. Hopefully tinordi has a huge jump in development.
I don't get it. What would be good depth for you? Don't forget we have what 3 players in the minors that could possibly be even more depth: Nathan Beaulieu, Greg Pateryn and even possibly Darren Dietz.

I don't see how any team can have that much better depth than that. Care to share some examples to shed my ignorance?

Old
08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Miller Time

very much like this signing... exactly what our D group needed and at a very good price/term (low risk, room for beaulieu/tinordi/ellis to see path to top-6 role for next year)

Old
Roulin

Quote:
Wasn't that pretty much the point of your post, arguing that he would be more than depth?

Old
Undertakerqc

Wow nice pickup by Bergevin. Murray brings size and toughness, which is much needed on this team.

Old
Teufelsdreck

He can't skate? Not signed by even one of 29 other NHL teams? What will his +/- look like? What will he help ensure, a secure playoff berth or a shot at the lottery?

Old
08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
There's a big difference between 15 and 20 minutes, buddy.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This is more impactful than getting Parros. Murray should actually be on the ice to be a deterrent. I like the move.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I don't get it. What would be good depth for you? Don't forget we have what 3 players in the minors that could possibly be even more depth: Nathan Beaulieu, Greg Pateryn and even possibly Darren Dietz.

I don't see how any team can have that much better depth than that. Care to share some examples to shed my ignorance?
People keep forgetting about Nygren, too. He's right there with Beaulieu in line for one of those future RH defense positions, imo.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's not going to wreck the team long-term, but those small bad moves are adding up. And while it's good that Bergevin is only messing up in the margins, it doesn't bode well for when he eventually needs to do something significant.

In his defense, the more significant moves he's made have been good (MaxPac extension, Ryder-Cole trade) or at least debatable (Subban bridge deal, Price contract).
How are they small bad moves.

They are good moves in my opinion because they help short term without hurting long term, unlike some of the deals(Ryan Ericsson Schneider) and UFA's(Clowe Clarkson Horton) we have seen.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
There's a big difference between 15 and 20 minutes, buddy.
15-17 minutes is not depth, imo. It's 5th-6th dman minutes. A depth d-man sometimes doesn't play, comes in and plays 10-15 minutes. I'm saying he won't be that.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This is more impactful than getting Parros. Murray should actually be on the ice to be a deterrent. I like the move.
Completely agree, and have said before that a defenseman who can fill this role ~15 minutes/night is going to go farther than adding a 6 min/night Laraque/Parros/Shelley-type prize fighter.

Closed Thread