HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He played 17min/g in the regular season, 15min/g in the playoffs last year. I doubt his steep decline has gone into reverse this offseason.
Not to mention it taking him until August to get a contract...

Old
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
I can dig it. We need a player like him to fill in until Emelin returns. Now, just don't play him too much in a game. Keep him on the bottom pair.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
He's slow as ****, but on a 1 year deal for cheap it's a low risk move.

08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
now get moen to wake up and be tougher
I'm sure Therien and co let him know he needs to be better next year. Plus Parros' arrival can only help him.

Guys like White Prust Moen will enjoy not having to fight league heavyweights.

Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
I don't believe the stats back up that notion.
In Murray's case, they absolutely do.

But it makes intuitive sense, anyway: a hit is only legal if the target has the puck. Which means you don't. Therefore lots of hits means lots of instances that you don't have the puck.

This is not to say that separating a guy from the puck using a hit is bad. But you don't want it to be the only thing you do.

Old
Lafleurs Guy

I'll read up more on him but at least it's a little more depth on the D. I'd still like to see a good number 3 or 4 guy added though.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Draft

Would it have been better to not sign him? I don't think so.

Are there better options right now? I don't think so.

Complaining just to complain. He's not outstanding but he fills a need. /thread

Old
08-22-2013, 12:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well I don't think this move makes the Habs any better or any worse...it just adds a different element they didn't have and IMO, were severely lacking (a dmen capable of making life difficult for opposing players in Price's crease - something that can't be quantified in numbers/stats).

I really have trouble understanding how this is a 'bad' move...
Because he's not really a NHL-quality defenseman, even as a #6. Bouillon is probably better than him.

They're paying a big AHL-level player 1.5M. Sure it's a "different element", but that has no value if the guy is a liability on the ice.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Craig71

I like this signing, he is the type of defenseman that we needed.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
boynickname

This is a great signing by Berg. We need a big guy to hit and clear the front of the net...plus be able to fight.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
dont care about the negativity

i feel much better about our D today then i did yesterday, is how i view the signing

welcome aboard douglas, you didnt cost us 2 second rounders too!

Old
08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
sampollock

tough and team player and big

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm , oh cheap,

great move, quit whining

Old
08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Just for fun

Old
08-22-2013, 12:37 PM
beaverBFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Would it have been better to not sign him? I don't think so.

Are there better options right now? I don't think so.

Complaining just to complain. He's not outstanding but he fills a need. /thread
What he said.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Because he's not really a NHL-quality defenseman, even as a #6. Bouillon is probably better than him.

They're paying a big AHL-level player 1.5M. Sure it's a "different element", but that has no value if the guy is a liability on the ice.
The guy has played 400 NHL games on one-way contracts since '07/08. I don't think it's fair OR accurate to refer to him as an "AHL-level player".

And whether or not anyone thinks Bouillon is "better" than him (I'd like to see the justification), I don't think there's much doubt that Murray (even now) has more of an impact on any particular game (pun somewhat intended). May be slower than Bouillon, but plays angles better by a looooong shot, which often makes up for that (and is how he so often manages to trolley-track faster players in open ice, even if their head is up).

Old
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:

not really a NHL-quality defensman? Bouillon is probably better than him?

Dear God...first of all, everyone knows Murray isn't what he used to be. But to say he's not an NHL-quality defensman is disengenuous. Furthermore, if anyone isn't an NHL-quality defensman, it's Francis Bouillon out of anyone.

I can't understand how that guy has managed to get 3 seperate stints on the Habs...everytime I think they've gotten rid of him, he comes back.

Also, it can be argued that at times...Markov was a liability on the ice last year (especially the last 1/3 of the season). Does that mean he's useless?

Murray as an individua player, I kind of agree with you...he's really not that good anymore. But as one member of a defensive unit of 6-7-8 players. He fits in quite nicely on the Habs given how their built (mostly pucking moving dmen).

It's just a depth move...no need to look at it for more then what it is

Old
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Sure he's declined, but to say he is a liability on the ice is BS.

If he is used properly he can help our PK and keep the crease clear in specific situations and against specific opponents.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

How'd I miss this all day. I am way too productive today.

Let me get my long overdue, **** ya in there. We are a tough damn team now. I approve of this.

keep calm and carry on.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I'm definitely OK with this. No risk move, Murray is going to be useful at times.

People whine and ***** about size and toughness but were we need it more isn't at forward, its on defense. Sure he's old and slow, but we have plenty of youth and speed to compensate.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The guy has played 400 NHL games on one-way contracts since '07/08. I don't think it's fair OR accurate to refer to him as an "AHL-level player".

And whether or not anyone thinks Bouillon is "better" than him (I'd like to see the justification), I don't think there's much doubt that Murray (even now) has more of an impact on any particular game (pun somewhat intended). May be slower than Bouillon, but plays angles better by a looooong shot, which often makes up for that (and is how he so often manages to trolley-track faster players in open ice, even if their head is up).
Bouillon is probably the better "all-round" defenceman since he can skate and pass much better than Murray. But without a doubt Murray complements the 5 other guys better.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:46 PM

At the very least...this gives Therrien options.

This signing wasn't intended to revolutionize the Habs defensive corps, it just adds an element that's sorely missing. It doesn't necessarily mean the Habs are explicitly better for it.

If teams like the Leafs can find ways to make Mark Fraser, a semi-useful, occasional regular player.

Then i'm sure the Habs can find some use, even if limited, for Douglas Murray.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:48 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
He played the most minutes per game shorthanded for the sharks last year and they had a good pk...
Good to hear it. Thanks!

Old
08-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Bullsmith

The Canadiens have lacked a physical crease-clearing D-man with a mean streak for years. Hal Gill is slow as molasses and was still a huge asset on the team.

Murray could be a total bust and I would still be fine with this signing. He compliments the group the Habs have. The negativity around these boards is hysterical. In both senses of the word.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
He probably was a NHLer at one point, but he's not now.

And an appeal to the authority of NHL GMs has to be considered shaky given the track record of some members of that group. Especially when big, hitty guys is concerned; this is hockey's anti-Moneyball, the traits that get valued out of proportion to their actual game impact.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
sandysan

Quote:

You dont evalaute players talents in a vacuum. We NEEDED a guy who can clear the front of the net, who is going to do that ? Diaz Bouillion, markov or georges ? Not likely. depending on the lines we at least have the ability to complement the d with a puck mover and a SAH/physical presence player on multiple lines.

He's not the fleetest of foot, but neither was hall gill and Murray is way more physical than hall gill. Keep him in the bottom pairing with reasonable expectations and he addresses a need.

The only question is where does this leave tinordi ? I thought he was good enough last year to make the team this year, but if he can grow in hamilton it would help. Having the choice of where he plays is a whole lot better than forcing a young kid to play.

Closed Thread