HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal signs Douglas Murray [1 Year/$1.5 million]

Old
08-22-2013, 01:06 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Nice contract for Montreal. Wish the Flames had taken a flyer on him for that price.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

vCash: 500
Perfect minor signing, nothing to add.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
If they have a mobile D to put him with and keep him away from fast forwards who change directions a lot, he's still an asset at that price. Just have to be specific about his matchups.
He will likely play bottom pair minutes with the very mobile Raphael Diaz.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Hope he turns out like Kaberle for them
At 1,5 M$, I don't see were's the risk. I mean, the guy will earn 3 times less $ than Clarkson in Toronto. And for only one season. And honestly, I wonder which one will have more impact on his team.

Considering the Emelin won't be back anytime soon, and that anyway Montreal can't rely only on Subban, Tinordi and Emelin to had some strenght on D, it's a great signing.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
I think Murray will bring great entertainment to, for example, the Montreal/Boston rivalry.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:20 PM
blankall

Great signing.

Not a guy you want in your top 4 permanently, but he can step up as needed for brief stings for injuries.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 353
Damn nice signing for Les Glorieux!
Hope he does a nasty job against us and other teams!

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
If Murray's taken his conditioning seriously this summer and is back to where he was before the lockout, this could be an absolute steal for the Habs at 1.5mil. If he plays like he did this year, he'll still be a big plus for the Habs, he brings exactly what we need and we have no shortage of mobile defenceman to pair him with. I'd expect something in-between. His performance next year may warrant a trade or further movement but, I'm assuming this is just shoring up the defence with a veteran, bottom-pairing, shut-down defenceman.
I think you've hit exactly on why the collective knee-jerk that is HF has so quickly soured on Murray after one season. I think being locked out so long, coupled with such a compressed schedule, made it extra hard on beefcakes such as Murray who probably can't turn their conditioning on and off like a switch.

On top of everything that he's known for, he's also fairly good at making the little plays to defense partners when under pressure, so he just needs a decent puck mover beside him. Diaz seems a logic partner for a 3rd pairing, for example. If Nygren or Beaulieu simply impressed too much to ignore, they'd fit the bill, too (but no one is eager to throw them into the NHL grind quite yet).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Hotlanta

I don't get the Habs... I know they got smoked by the Sens, but adding Slow Grit goes against their model. It is their speed and creativity that allowed them to beat teams like the Bruins in the regular season, now I feel they are adding Grit to compete with the Bruins, Ottawa and Leafs in that style of game. They are making a compromise on their style of play and it might bite them in the ass.

Hotlanta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
I don't get the Habs... I know they got smoked by the Sens, but adding Slow Grit goes against their model. It is their speed and creativity that allowed them to beat teams like the Bruins in the regular season, now I feel they are adding Grit to compete with the Bruins, Ottawa and Leafs in that style of game. They are making a compromise on their style of play and it might bite them in the ass.
Not necessarily. Montreal's adding grit on the bottom six, as well as on defense. The top 6 (or even top 9) are still mostly smaller, skilled forwards with speed.

Shinsuke Nakamura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think you've hit exactly on why the collective knee-jerk that is HF has so quickly soured on Murray after one season.
Two seasons.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Drydenwasthebest

God bottom pairing signing. A big, crease clearing, d-man who can fight if necessary and protect Price. This is a good value signing.

Hopefully, our D looks like:

Subban-Gorges
Markov-Tinordi
Diaz/Beaulieu-Murray

Bouillon, Drewiske, Diaz/Beaulieu.

Call me crazy, but I hope Beaulieu shows enough to replace Diaz so we can have a really strong and physical defence this season with some nastiness to it. Seriously, if Beaulieu can be paired with Murray, Markov and Gorges will be our only "softish" d- men! Subban, Tinordi, Murray, and Beaulieu are all strong guys who can hit people. I am starting to feel better about the upcoming season, defensively. Unfortunately, Therrien is notorious for not playing young guys over favored veterans, so we will probably be force fed Bouillon and Drewiske over Tinordi and Beaulieu...sigh...ah, we'll, I can still be hopeful!

Good signing...and it didn't cost us two 2nd round picks, either!

Drydenwasthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
so slow!

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Ryp37

Good signing I've never seen so many players get injured trying to hit someone til Murray

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:10 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayShark View Post
+1 -- he doesn't lack effort and is very intelligent on the ice. His biggest flaws are that he is slow and can sometimes sacrifice positioning to go for a big hit. Very good on a 5-on-3 kill and will block a lot of shots; no problem sacrificing his body. Good luck, Douglas.
I'm not sure if HB's comment was tongue-in-cheek or not (went to Cornell) because Murray isn't even close to one of the smartest hockey players "hockey IQ" wise. His playstyle never screamed "intelligent" to me. He isn't good with his stick, his positioning isn't great anymore, and even if he sees an opportunity to make a big hit, he's usually too slow to deliver it.
He's a big body who is hard to knock down and will attempt to clear the front of the net.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Dude is not nearly as bad as he's made out to be here. Having said that, he isn't great anymore either. I'm just glad he's not facing the Sharks multiple times

Brent Burns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:15 PM
ashtraygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
Good signing I've never seen so many players get injured trying to hit someone til Murray
kinda like Emelin on Lucic?

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
He will likely play bottom pair minutes with the very mobile Raphael Diaz.
That should work. Therrien just needs to make sure not to send him over the boards against guys like Kessel, Zetterberg, St Louis or Huberdeau. Especially St Louis, though.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
glasgow26

Good for the Habs. Happy for Murray.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:18 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'm not sure if HB's comment was tongue-in-cheek or not (went to Cornell) because Murray isn't even close to one of the smartest hockey players "hockey IQ" wise. His playstyle never screamed "intelligent" to me. He isn't good with his stick, his positioning isn't great anymore, and even if he sees an opportunity to make a big hit, he's usually too slow to deliver it.
He's a big body who is hard to knock down and will attempt to clear the front of the net.
He's a smart player. It's how he survived in the league for so long with little mobility (which used to be better than now, but was never what I'd call "good"). Always plays within his limitations. Always cognizant of the possibility of being caught in the wrong place, which he can't recover from.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Good signing, good fit.

I have a little more confidence in our back end this season. Price will benefit from this signing.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
I think Murray will bring great entertainment to, for example, the Montreal/Boston rivalry.
And against Ottawa as well, he seemed to love playing against them in the playoffs especially against Neil!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:20 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And against Ottawa as well, he seemed to love playing against them in the playoffs especially against Neil!!!
You'll like that he told a Swedish newspaper after that series he plans to hunt Neil down next year and beat his ass, haha.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:22 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
He's a smart player. It's how he survived in the league for so long with little mobility (which used to be better than now, but was never what I'd call "good"). Always plays within his limitations. Always cognizant of the possibility of being caught in the wrong place, which he can't recover from.
Guess we have different definitions of "hockey IQ". Because those qualities aren't intelligent in my opinion. Those qualities are just knowing how to play within your limits.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:23 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Neat. Good for both parts. It'll be fun to see Murray dish som bone crushing hits next year (I hope)

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote