HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Buffalo saluting fans

Old
11-07-2006, 12:32 AM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
The only reason why it is lame that the Sabres do it, is becuase they NEVER would have thought to do it if the Rangers hadn't done it first in the NHL. And I would be kinda annoyed if Sabre fans try to claim it as their own.
Don't mean to troll on your board, but I don't think the Sabres were imitating the Rangers or anybody else.

The crowd was giving them a sustained standing ovation after a loss, to applaud their impressive streak. You really think it's lame for the team to acknowledge the standing O and recognize the fans under those circumstances? It's not like they do it after every game or anything.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:33 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Just remember that the Rangers created it..just like the Giants with the jump-shot thing...so if the Sabres do it after other wins or any other team does, they are simply unoriginal
Jim Jones created the "jump-shot thing."

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllliiiiinnnn'!!

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
Holy crap, it was a JOKE. The thread starter's Name has Barnaby in it.

I'm wasting my time trying to make you people realize it's NOT that serious. Some of you are just fighting over something petty as "we did it first so no one should EVER do it" (others are much more reasonable about it)...if you don't see the irony in it I guess nothing can help you.
I thought the joke of my post was pretty clear...

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
BigE

Who stole what from whom? This is a joke.

Since when was saluting your fans illegal. In my opinion all teams should do this.

C'mon guys...

"Fllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooosssssssssiiiinnnn '!!!" had to get just one more dig in there. Ahh, any Dipset fans will know what I mean.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:39 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Seriously, who cares. We might be the first in awhile to do it, other teams may do it as well....does it really matter though/or does anyone care after we win a game and the Rangers do it? No...all we care about is our team and the win they produced.

Its not a big deal with me.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:19 AM
VEGASRANGERFAN

It's like when a baseball player comes off the bench for a curtain call, they all do it.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:20 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Jim Jones created the "jump-shot thing."

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllliiiiinnnn'!!
He created it but the Giants started doing it in games. He even made a special Giants remix with it.

As for the Sabres thing, I don't really care if they or any other team does it because I know the Rangers started it. Yeah Buffalo might have done it a long time ago, but I hadn't seen any team do it for a long time before last season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:30 AM
xander

for the love of god, must this come up again?

just about every team in college hockey does a stick salute at center ice after a home game, and have been doing so for years.

As others have mentioned, the practice is also common in europe.

complaining about the sabres 'copying' of a 1 year tradition that the rangers themselves adapted from europe (and which was already practiced in north america at the collegiate level) is both petty and ignorant.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:52 AM
WheresBarnaby

Ok guy's, this is not supposed to go down the our team/ their team path. I reconognized it as being petty from the get go, but It still kinda bothered me for some reason. Anyway I don't think it's bad if it happens once in a while, but as a connection with the fans, I think other teams should do their own thing. Kinda like the "orange crush" of philly, that's obviously theirs, and it was well publicized that the Rangers were doing the salute last year. Again I've said before I have nothing against Buffalo, and I think they deserve the respect they've earned, it just seems to take a little something away I guess.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:07 AM
SniperMogilny2K6*

Buffalo sucks. Lets Go Rangers!

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:21 AM
lotus

if buffalo starts doing it after every game and its just buffalo doing it (and us) I'll be a little angry. Maybe unjustified anger but i would be. If alot of teams did it, then cool.

in short, who cares.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 07:30 AM
shoothepuck

It should be done often, nightly even, which would mean we're winning

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Chimp

Rangers weren't first, don't have a patent (which is an overused and abused principle) and have no right to claim to have this salute by themselves.

There's nothing to talk about. If others want to do it, they're of course free to do it.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Skroob*

can we just leave our baby brothers to the north alone? Its not their fault they have an inferiority complex.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Takeo

Why are you guys even talking about this? The crowd gave the Sabres an ovation after the Atlanta loss because it was the night they were trying to break the record for consecutive wins to open the season. It was a salute of appreciation and the team acknowledged them. They haven't done it with any regularity prior or since.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Who really cares if they are saluting their crowd...we have other things to worry about.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
Who really cares if they are saluting their crowd...we have other things to worry about.
Yeah like seeing our own team doing it for a change.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Exactly!

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Exactamundo!

Its would be annoying if they did it after every home win, because we are now used to "our" team doing it. But if this is the only time they have done it, and they are doing it as a sign of respect and thanks to the fans who supported them, then whats the big deal. As the whole Sweet Caroline song thing, who knows who started it, heck it probably started in bumble F somewhere.For the Ranger we know it started as a song listened to in the lockerroom last season. Lets just remember it for that and move on, who cares who else plays the damn song!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:00 AM
lotus

Yeah but i don't think its fair to say the rangers aren't original for doing it. Sure its been done before. But how often before has it been done in the NHL? All ideas stem off of others, while its not an original idea, the concept of doing it in the NHL is. As far as i can remember.

Basically i don't think anyone should be pissed unless for some reason the Sabres become recognized as "introducing" this as a tradition to the NHL. Now that would piss me off.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:10 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Just remember that the Rangers created it..just like the Giants with the jump-shot thing...so if the Sabres do it after other wins or any other team does, they are simply unoriginal
the jump shot thing in football is sooooooooooo stupid find something else to do
and how cares if that is ripped offf

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
The only reason why it is lame that the Sabres do it, is becuase they NEVER would have thought to do it if the Rangers hadn't done it first in the NHL. And I would be kinda annoyed if Sabre fans try to claim it as their own.

But I am more upset with the 2-6 Texans mocking the Giants with the Jumpshot move. Who the hell do they think they are? it's not like they blew out the Giants in that game. That's just plain bush.
Eh I actually really enjoyed the Texans doing that. It's like...a slap in the face. When your a struggling team without much to play for I think its good sometimes to show some competitive streak. Plus it is from the music video so techically it's not really a "Giants" thing

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
The Giants also originated the Gatorade dump...

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:46 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasch#4 View Post
The Giants also originated the Gatorade dump...
And the "I'm going to Disney World" thing..Phil Simms was the first QB to say that.

I agree that it seemed like the Giants played better after the Texans did that, but it just seemed pretty unoriginal to me. David Carr's jumpshot looked more like he was saying "oh, pishaw".

But I agree that we need to see the Rangers actually DO the salute first. Hasn't happened since October 16th.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
NYRBLUE 74

Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
for the love of god, must this come up again?

just about every team in college hockey does a stick salute at center ice after a home game, and have been doing so for years.

As others have mentioned, the practice is also common in europe.
Good point xander.....
It was made clear to me after I score my first goal last year ...not to make a big deal of till after the game then you can salute the fans or anything else....so I went up into the stands after the game......come to think of it the arena lobby as well.

Last edited by NYRBLUE 74: 11-09-2006 at 01:54 PM.
NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote