HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal to move out a defenceman?

Old
08-22-2013, 10:31 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Montreal to move out a defenceman?

With today's signing of Douglas Murray, les Habitants have quite a glut of NHL defencemen

PK Subban
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov
Raphael Diaz
Alexei Emelin (Out for the first month or two of the season with an injury)
Francis Bouillon
Davis Drewiske
and now Murray

That's not taking into account that Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu could both be close to NHL-ready.

So I'm wondering if today's deal signals the impending trading of another defenceman (Bouillon or Diaz, maybe?) or if it's more likely Montreal tries to sneak one of them through waivers and play them in the AHL?

08-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Vesa Awesaka

Subban waivers they can afford to resign him
boullion is out maybe ? He wasnt very good against ottawa and i'd argue he's never been very good.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:34 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
With today's signing of Douglas Murray, les Habitants have quite a glut of NHL defencemen

PK Subban
Josh Gorges
Andrei Markov
Raphael Diaz
Alexei Emelin (Out for the first month or two of the season with an injury)
Francis Bouillon
Davis Drewiske
and now Murray

That's not taking into account that Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu could both be close to NHL-ready.

So I'm wondering if today's deal signals the impending trading of another defenceman (Bouillon or Diaz, maybe?) or if it's more likely Montreal tries to sneak one of them through waivers and play them in the AHL?

no need to panic until Emilin is close to returning. Tinordi and Bealieu are young and can wait their turn.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:35 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
no need to panic until Eemilin is close to returning. Tinordi and Bealieu are young and can wait their turn.
I'm just thinking that everything Montreal coaching, management and publicity-wise have done has indicated that Tinordi is part of the team now, no longer a prospect, so it would be quite a turnaround to put him back in the AHL.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
There's no real glut to speak of. Emelin's hurt and Tinordi and Beaulieu start in the AHL. That's 7 defensemen left on the roster. When Emelin comes back, Drewiske going on waivers would be the most obvious move.

I still think we might dangle Diaz eventually (maybe as soon as when Emelin is back) but I wouldn't expect any imminent changes.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Don't think they need to. Bouillon and Murray are both on one-year deals and I doubt either of them re-sign at year's end.

Maybe a deadline move, if anything, especially with Emelin out. Beaulieu was alright in small samples, but clearly wasn't ready. Tinordi's more ready, and I think he might still start in the NHL. I guess we'll see.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:39 AM
kingdok

Defensemen gets hurt all the time so better keep all of them.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:42 AM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

i can see a rotation going on. Murray will be used in case Tinordi has a bumpy ride during the course of the season.

i could see Diaz being moved later on. he's a bit repetitive with Beaulieu almost ready to take on a role.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Mtl carries 8 dmen and 13 forwards, so don't see why they have to get rid of a dmen.

Gorges Subban
Markov Tinordi
Murray Daiz
bouillon DD

When Emelin is close to returning than one dmen might go, but probably one of the pending UFA's, Daiz, Bouillon or Murray...

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:56 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
MTL only has 8 D-men. EDM & LA have 9 signed. There may be other teams with 9 too.

In other words, your issue's not a big one.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Ginu

We need to get to:

Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Murray - Drewiske
Bouillon

to be able to challenge in the playoffs. If we can, we can ship Diaz and Gorges for a forward. Heck put DD with them.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere
Bourque - x - Gionta
Moen - White - Prust
Parros

There's a lot more playoff balance in that team.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:06 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
You never know what can happen in an 82 game season. They are better off keeping these guys just incase.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Not really a problem IMHO. Habs will carry 8 D again, probably.
Gorges - Subban
Markov - Tinordi/Emelin
Murray - Diaz
Bouillon - Drewiske

By the time Emelin gets back, it's doubtful everybody else is healthy. But if by some chance they all are, then whoever is not playing well can go to the minors. Tinordi would be waiver exempt. But it wouldn't scare them at that point to waive Drewiske, say. Or some other teams will have run into injury troubles and be willing to pick somebody up for a late pick. Whatever. It's a good situation to be in.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Trade player #61

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Bieber fever

Diaz was awesome before his concussion.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Five of them are UFA at the end of the season. Bouillon will likely be retiring/going away. Markov will be taking a massive pay/role hit or leaving. Diaz and Emelin are playing for a similar spot in the top 4 going forward. Drewiske is the #8/9 guy. I doubt Murray is more than a one year bottom pairing stop gap. My guess is someone gets moved at the deadline if everyone is healthy.

Tinordi and Beaulieu would be better served playing another half season at least in the AHL getting top minutes.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

I doubt they signed a dman to trade another.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:53 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Markov will probably be on LTIR by the time Emelin gets back.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Miller Time

never a bad thing to have depth on defense.

Tinordi/Beaulieu have nothing to lose by spending most of the season in the AHL. If either/both really force the issue, habs could "sell" a dman approaching the deadline (Diaz, imo, could end up a valuable trade commodity, especially if he builds on the year he had last season).

Having 8-10 NHL level dmen heading into the playoffs is a huge commodity, hopefully it means no need to go out and "add" depth at the deadline

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Rypien37

Montreal won't move anyone..
D always seem to get injured so having "options"
Is always good.. You can play Murray more against slower
Teams

Rypien37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:49 PM
M.C.G. 31
make something up

vCash: 233
You can never have too many defenseman. Emelin is out to start and I sure as hell don't want Boullion playing so many games this year. Tinordi/Beaulieu will probably start the season and spend at least half of it in the AHL.

08-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Five of them are UFA at the end of the season. Bouillon will likely be retiring/going away. Markov will be taking a massive pay/role hit or leaving. Diaz and Emelin are playing for a similar spot in the top 4 going forward. Drewiske is the #8/9 guy. I doubt Murray is more than a one year bottom pairing stop gap. My guess is someone gets moved at the deadline if everyone is healthy.

Tinordi and Beaulieu would be better served playing another half season at least in the AHL getting top minutes.
Diaz and Emelin play to completely different styles and have completely different roles. They are NOT playing for a similar role at all. Markov will prove to the naysayers that he deserves his next contract once again. When will people recognize the value he brings to the table? Sigh...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:38 PM
nuckfan insk

I'd like Diaz on the Canucks

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Chacal667

To people who believe that Diaz should be traded, he's our only RHD after Subban, our 3rd PMD after Subban and Markov who's aging, he was the 3rd defenseman for points in the entire league before his concussion so at the exeption of if we get a significant return, something that I seriously doubt, Diaz is not for sale.

I admit that the signature of Murray is a kind of slap to the face of Tinordi but he's young and Murray is more sure and stable but there's always some injury during a season so he will probably play some games with the big club.

For the others Dman, Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Bouillon... they all have their spot in the club so I don't see any Dman who could be traded, at the exception of Beaulieu, maybe...

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:07 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Id like Markov to remain a hab his entire career. But I dont want it to cost us the younger Diaz and limit us on the offensive side of our backend. I understand in a few years we will have Subban and Bealieu, but Id like to keep Diaz for now.

In terms of moving any players, I dont want to trade too many people asides from now Frankie B or Drewiske, and neither are going to fetch us much. Id MUCH rather move Desharnais.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote