Souray's Injury, a look at Fistric, and what else is out there

Old
08-21-2013, 12:40 PM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Souray's Injury, a look at Fistric, and what else is out there

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/08/21/wi...-with-fistric/

Could someone like Buffalo, with a glut at defense, be a trade partner?

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Theridion

I am not sure grabbing another contract is the answer. Especially with fistric signing.

Beach
Fowler
Sbisa
Allen
Lovejoy
?????

I mean, with vatanen and fistric, we kinda have 6 dmen.

If quality is the issue, then this is where people get all opinionated. Who do we upgrade?

We arent upgrading beach.
We arent upgrading fowler.
I personally think sbisa has enough upside that you keep him and hope he continues to develop and find his game.

We arent upgrading lovejoy. He is cheap and seems to be a great depth guy for us.

So that brings us to allen and the ?????? Can we deal allen and some youth for an upgrade? Can we deal a pick and prospect for someone to fill the ????? If we do, then that costs vatanen a spot.

In my mind... 4 of the 6 slots have concerns about production. Each of Sbisa, Allen, Vatanen, and even lovejoy are all potentially productive members of this squad. But in all 4 cases, youd like to walk into the season with only like 2 of those guys behind a solid 4 dmen already in place.

My vote. Run camp. Start the season. Make a trade. Maybe a big trade if needed.

I dont like to gamble, and this is a situation where we best let them play, and then after, make a move to try to fix which dmen arent working out.

I vote no trade. No signing. Stay flexible by keeping the cap space. We will inow more a month into the season.

We have so much depth youth sitting around. I love the GM opportunities that might pop up this upconing season for a team with capspace and assets.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:17 PM
bootsgaudet

what was the term with Mark Fistric ?

seeing that rumor that hainsey would have signed for one million, i would have tamen a run at him instead..

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
what was the term with Mark Fistric ?

seeing that rumor that hainsey would have signed for one million, i would have tamen a run at him instead..
1 year 900k

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Stephens said that Beauch would miss the begining of the season too. So our throw back night could be painfull...

Although i somehow hope that Fistric will dress at the ''Winter Classic'' against the Kings and will lay down an open icer.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Stephens said that Beauch would miss the begining of the season too. So our throw back night could be painfull...

Although i somehow hope that Fistric will dress at the ''Winter Classic'' against the Kings and will lay down an open icer.
Last I heard Beauch was expected to be in the lineup on opening night. Is there anything confirming otherwise?

As for a trade - we have a glut of #5-7 defensemen and only two guys to play in the top 4. So unless Buffalo wants to give us a proven top 4 defenseman we have no interest in adding anyone else.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Last I heard Beauch was expected to be in the lineup on opening night. Is there anything confirming otherwise?
https://twitter.com/icemancometh/sta...98466773721088

Old
08-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:

As for a trade - we have a glut of #5-7 defensemen and only two guys to play in the top 4. So unless Buffalo wants to give us a proven top 4 defenseman we have no interest in adding anyone else.
This pretty much sums it up. We have enough bottom pairing/7 D men already. Anything less than a very solid top 4 guy just isn't needed or worth pursuing.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Thanks. That's pretty much speculation but Stephens probably has a lot more insight than we do. I was just going off Murray's quote earlier in the offseason where Beauch guaranteed he'd be in the lineup opening night. If we're without Frankie and Souray we're absolutely ****ed. If Beauch does take the full 6 months to recover we could be without him until late November....

Old
08-21-2013, 06:58 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Per Stephens

Had this in Souray injury story but Ducks GM Bob Murray said Francois Beauchemin (torn ACL) is ahead of schedule after May surgery.

Team isn't ruling out Beauchemin being available for Oct. 2 opener but Murray also said, "He's too valuable and it's a long year."
https://twitter.com/icemancometh/sta...09910577176576

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 07:08 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdux View Post
Sounds like he may miss like 3-5 games in the beginning of the season than make his come back.

Also, anyone else think Hal Gil would have been a good replacement for Souray? I can't imagine him costing that much more than Fistric. Only on a one year deal. Something like 1 year $1.2 million deal.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Exit Dose

I'd rather give the job to one of the kids than give it to Gill.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:30 PM
DarthYenik

I'm not too worried. The Ducks did pretty good last season with a less than good Souray.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'd rather give the job to one of the kids than give it to Gill.
Same. Gill might be the slowest player in the league and he's not going to give us much more than 3rd pairing minutes at ES.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
I'm not too worried. The Ducks did pretty good last season with a less than good Souray.
I'm not so sure. Souray played well(certainly better than "less than good") in the first 1/2-3/4 of the season. I'm not saying Anaheim's early success was all him, but I do think that when his play degraded our blue line depth issues became more obvious.

08-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Problem is no team is gonna want to trade an established top 4 defenseman away. Right now, all other 29 teams have hopes of making the playoffs. You'd think that team would want at least a roster player in return.

Maybe some team that would willing to sacrifice some defense for offense. But trading one of Etem, Palmieri or Holland seems a bit drastic as Beauch and Souray will be back eventually. Getzlaf, Perry and Koivu aren't going anywhere, and the team can't afford to trade Bonino when it's already weak in the middle. Winnik doesn't have a whole lot of value, but maybe could land us something decent if dealt with a prospect or a 1st or 2nd round pick. Cogliano has more value, but I don't like idea of splitting that line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Souray was imo the Ducks 2nd best defenseman for a big part of the season, and top 3 almost the entire regular season. He wouldn't play the minutes he did otherwise. Someone who looked solid on the 3rd pairing last season, may not look so solid eating 20+ minutes per game. Two words: Steve Eminger...

Last edited by Elvs: 08-22-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 04:06 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

we should only trade for a D that can be a legit top pairing player, we have enough 3-6 guys on the roster

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Same. Gill might be the slowest player in the league and he's not going to give us much more than 3rd pairing minutes at ES.
Could you imagine a pairing of Gill and Allen? Ouch.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:40 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvs View Post
Winnik doesn't have a whole lot of value, but maybe could land us something decent if dealt with a prospect or a 1st or 2nd round pick.
Wonder what Holland and 1st (OTT) could fetch us.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Wonder what Holland and 1st (OTT) could fetch us.
Nothing spectacular. It would get us 2nd pairing defenseman at trade deadline, but nothing more than #4 in the middle of season, imo.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:16 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm not so sure. Souray played well(certainly better than "less than good") in the first 1/2-3/4 of the season. I'm not saying Anaheim's early success was all him, but I do think that when his play degraded our blue line depth issues became more obvious.
Yeah, I agree, but the team didn't fall apart without him in beast mode. They did pretty good. I'm not saying that they don't need him, just that I think they can play without him.

Of course I could be wrong, and his absence will be our scapegoat when the team starts 1-15.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:11 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Nothing spectacular. It would get us 2nd pairing defenseman at trade deadline, but nothing more than #4 in the middle of season, imo.
I think it would really depend on the situation with the other team. Some teams are looking to shed salary. Not sure what could happen until camp comes around, but I could definitely see us dealing Holland/DSP/Sbisa/OTT 1st. Maybe not all together, but if we could get a big dman for a combo of those guys, we'd be looking a lot better on the blueline.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Trading for a defenseman is out of the question unless one is going the other way. I like the idea of Allen+ for Markov, although the plus would have to be damn big.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:16 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
I would have rather have had him then Souray at his current contract.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote