HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32m

Steelers rookie RB Le'Veon Bell is expected to be out six weeks with a Lisfranc injury.

Old
08-21-2013, 04:27 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32m

Steelers rookie RB Le'Veon Bell is expected to be out six weeks with a Lisfranc injury.
Ouch, that's terrible. Shame on Tomlin for all this "can't make the club from the tub" talk. Yes, I'm sure that it didn't apply to their 2nd round pick, but the culture of playing through an injury before the season even starts is garbage.

Old
08-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Jaded-Fan

Looking like a rough year. I had thought it would be somewhat rough going into the season, 8-8 was what I thought. I am doubting 4 wins now after watching this team. Yeah there are some injuries and people will be back during the year, but what we are seeing is not having a couple people out. Just a team with some below average overall talent. We were due for a complete rebuild so can not be too upset about it.

Old
08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Preseason games are meaningless. They were atrocious in 2008 in the preseason both offensively and defensively and they went on to win the Super Bowl that year. I'm not saying that will happen again but these games are no indication of what this team will or won't do in the regular season. I still say they'll win at least 8 games if Ben's healthy but that's always a big if.

Old
08-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I cannot make myself care about the preseason. I just can't do it. I guess it comes from not following off-season moves at all so I don't care about the depth guys.

Old
08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Preseason games are meaningless. They were atrocious in 2008 in the preseason both offensively and defensively and they went on to win the Super Bowl that year. I'm not saying that will happen again but these games are no indication of what this team will or won't do in the regular season. I still say they'll win at least 8 games if Ben's healthy but that's always a big if.
I would agree with you if we weren't watching the same small ball offense from last year.

Old
08-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
More than two-thirds of the league's teams are now crunching numbers full time, including the decidedly old-school Bears, who established their own analytics department this summer. One of the notable holdouts? The Steelers. According to an industry source, they've shown "no interest or curiosity in that direction."
Link

Old
08-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Rookie Steelers halfback Le'Veon Bell will miss up to six weeks with a small ligament tear in his right foot that should not need surgery, although a second reading of his MRI by an independent podiatrist in North Carolina is pending.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...medium=twitter

Old
08-21-2013, 09:03 PM
MonsterSurge

Did anyone catch the Villa - Chelsea game today? Villa got robbed.

Old
08-21-2013, 09:19 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Did anyone catch the Villa - Chelsea game today? Villa got robbed.
DVR'd it, but haven't watched it. What happened?

Old
08-22-2013, 08:16 AM
bradshaw06

I am having a hard time caring about this Steelers. Just seems like they're heading in the wrong direction.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
If they are going to have a rough year, i hope it's the worst year ever. Get Tomlin out and get a lot of good high draft picks to quickly turn around.

And Bradshaw, I agree. The players and their personas combined with where the team is heading is tough to get behind.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
I am having a hard time caring about this Steelers. Just seems like they're heading in the wrong direction.
Like Madden has been saying, the Steelers really are "that 70's team."

Old
08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
bradshaw06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
If they are going to have a rough year, i hope it's the worst year ever. Get Tomlin out and get a lot of good high draft picks to quickly turn around.

And Bradshaw, I agree. The players and their personas combined with where the team is heading is tough to get behind.
Exactly that. They're just not a likeable group.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

A few years ago I didn't really listen all that much to fans that say "Tomlin only won because of Cowher's players!" But you know what, the further and further they get away from Cowher and his players, the more undisciplined and sloppy the Steelers have become. Right now this team is full of punks that think their hot **** but in reality haven't even come close to winning anything. Tomlin seems more concerned about being their buddy than their coach.

Don't hold your breath about getting Tomlin fire though. Even if the Steelers have a very bad season, it's not likely to happen.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
A few years ago I didn't really listen all that much to fans that say "Tomlin only won because of Cowher's players!" But you know what, the further and further they get away from Cowher and his players, the more undisciplined and sloppy the Steelers have become. Right now this team is full of punks that think their hot **** but in reality haven't even come close to winning anything. Tomlin seems more concerned about being their buddy than their coach.

Don't hold your breath about getting Tomlin fire though. Even if the Steelers have a very bad season, it's not likely to happen.
Must be a Pittsburgh thing, I guess.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Pittsburgh Riverhounds made the play-offs.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Shockmaster

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...om-from-haley/

God forbid Ben call a passing play when there are 8 guys in the box! Gotta run it like they did back in the 70's!

Seriously, how the hell do you not give a two-time super bowl winning QB the ability to change the plays at the line of scrimmage? I don't think Ben will ever want out because he really likes the Steelers, but if he ever did I wouldn't blame him. Little Artie still wants to keep Ben "in his place."

Old
08-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
DVR'd it, but haven't watched it. What happened?
Ivanovic elbowed someone in the head and only got a yellow. Of course he scored shortly after and may have been offside in the process. Then John Terry got away with a handball in the box near the end of the game.

I like Chelsea, but they definitely got a number of breaks.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Scuderi View Post
Ivanovic elbowed someone in the head and only got a yellow. Of course he scored shortly after and may have been offside in the process. Then John Terry got away with a handball in the box near the end of the game.

I like Chelsea, but they definitely got a number of breaks.
Thanks Scuds.

Not surprising. I have only been watching the BPL for 5 years now, but long enough to see Chelsea and Manchester United get breaks in officiating that other teams do not. I suppose that happens in all sports, the top teams getting favorable calls. But it seems very prominent in the Prem.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422

Montana's rumored new jerseys for this year. I'll consider the jerseys and pants a step forward from the crap they've been wearing the past 3 years, but I am mighty sore about the helmet changing. The Griz script is a classic...it may only be ~30 years old, but it was distinctly Montana...now it's just a paw...yawn. I do actually like the multiple helmets, though, once we get past the decal change...at least the maroon one. The all-black design can **** right off.

I hate Nike so damn much...I just want a return to these...

Or, better yet...

But at least it isn't...

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-23-2013, 04:37 AM
sniugneP

I was watching Panthers-Ravens game last night. Luke Kuechly is a beast. The dude is everywhere. I really think he's a best linebacker in NFL, even better than Willis.

Old
08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Retrocity

Steelers trade OLB Adrian Robinson to the Eagles for RB Felix Jones.

Interesting on what this indicates about the injuries to our RBs.

Old
08-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Iggy Smalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocity View Post
Steelers trade OLB Adrian Robinson to the Eagles for RB Felix Jones.

Interesting on what this indicates about the injuries to our RBs.
Jones hasn't lived up to what he was expected to be out of college, but this could be a (optimistically) decent reward trade. Insurance with Bell out for awhile?

Last edited by Iggy Smalls: 08-23-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
sniugneP

Wow, we have a lot of depth in RB. Redman may be gone.

Closed Thread