HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
True Tick and Tin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I don't think people realize how physical our defense can be now.

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin/Tinordi
Murray - Diaz
Bouillon - Drewiski

I think this is a very good mix of stay at home shot blockers/hitters and skilled puck movers.

Subban - Combination player who has skill and can hit
Gorges - Stay at home shot blocker, usually gets the puck out of the zone. Will be conservative so Subban can do what he does.

Markov - Although slower, he can still get it done and QB the PP. Still out most intelligent defenseman.
Emelin - One of the hardest hitting defensemen in the league, really like him. Tinordi/Bouillon likely fill in for him while injured.

Murray - Although slower than in the past, hits like a truck and blocks shots.
Diaz - Having this guy as our #5/6 puck moving defenseman is an extreme luxury.

Having one of Subban, Emelin or Murray always on the ice will definitely give forwards some apprehension when entering our zone. This is something that we haven't had in a long time. Our D will not be soft this season.

Love the signing...and If Murray is not good enough, we still have serviceable Bouillon, Drewiske or Tinordi/Beaulieu ready to step in.

Seems to me that as dynamic a hitter as Subban is, Murray is more like a slow bowling ball of inertia... kind of reminds me of AK46 when he wanted to hit. Lightning and thunder if you will. Two very different kinds of hitters, for different situations perhaps, but both are still effective. Rock on Habbies

Old
08-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

love it...Thanks Marc Bergvin for listening...lol
Welcome to Montreal Doug Murray! I hope you play a few more years here.

Anyone want to know more on Big Doug. Click the links below,some have video's

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=151

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=186

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=157

Old
08-22-2013, 02:42 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
The problem with only having puck-moving Dmen is that not all of them are good enough to win puck battles. The Habs towards the end of the season were getting absolutely massacred in their own zone and along the boards. Coupled with their Swarm defense-style, other teams were able to easily retrieve the puck and get quality shots on Price: they could walk in with impunity, take their time to place a shot, or just crash his crease. The Habs couldn't do anything about it.
Based on the people counting quality shots on Price, this is not what actually happened against Ottawa. Montreal actually outchanced the Sens by a fair margin, especially with the score fairly close. The big difference in that series was Anderson standing on his head and Price not so much.

The Habs had a nasty tendency to give up when down a couple of goals, but before it got to that point, they were outplaying the Sens handily. This, incidentally, was the exact same scenario as the Flyers-Habs playoffs of 2008, where the Habs dominated everywhere but the crease; if the Flyers used their size to dominate the smaller Habs in that series, there was no sign of it.

The idea that they were done in because they were too small or too soft is a lazy narrative that has little to support it.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:44 PM
coolasprICE

I heard his grand mother has french background... any truth to this?

Old
08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Remember when people wanted us to trade Price for Murray and Clowe back in 2010? Times sure have changed

Old
08-22-2013, 02:49 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

He just wanted to use us to land a bigger contract. Only problem was that he found crickets elsewhere.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:50 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Remember when people wanted us to trade Price for Murray and Clowe back in 2010? Times sure have changed
Only the Halak fan club.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:50 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Based on the people counting quality shots on Price, this is not what actually happened against Ottawa. Montreal actually outchanced the Sens by a fair margin, especially with the score fairly close. The big difference in that series was Anderson standing on his head and Price not so much.

The Habs had a nasty tendency to give up when down a couple of goals, but before it got to that point, they were outplaying the Sens handily. This, incidentally, was the exact same scenario as the Flyers-Habs playoffs of 2008, where the Habs dominated everywhere but the crease; if the Flyers used their size to dominate the smaller Habs in that series, there was no sign of it.

The idea that they were done in because they were too small or too soft is a lazy narrative that has little to support it.
I did miss your posts, mathman. Welcome back.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:53 PM
paddy

Quote:

Exactly!

Old
08-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Mike8

For entertainment purposes, I'm happy with this move. In the interests of icing a better hockey team, it's a bad move. For my optimism on Bergevin being a quality hockey mind, it's rough.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not at all, they signed Rob Scuderi to replace him. That they had no more use for Murray doesn't invalidate the initial value they placed on trading for him.
So they preferred someone else and let him go.
Trade deadline value is never a good representation of how good a player actually is. I mean, Hal Gill fetched us a 2nd. Hal freaking Gill, a 2nd round pick...
Paul Gaustad got a 1st..

I wouldn't that much weight on Murray bringing in two 2nd rounders. Deadline trades bring in ridiculous high returns in many cases.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
For entertainment purposes, I'm happy with this move. In the interests of icing a better hockey team, it's a bad move. For my optimism on Bergevin being a quality hockey mind, it's rough.
How? It's a cheap one year deal. If he sucks, he sits. Although I think he will be fine on the third pairing and is better than Drew and Boullion. If anything it will motivate the players to compete harder for a spot on the team.
It cost nothing to acquire him and if he plays as well as he is capable of he could definitely help the team.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Think he will make a great addition for the PK, and allow other d-men to play less PK and focus more on 5-5 and PP time.

Last year:
Josh Gorges 3:13 per game PK time
Raphael Diaz 2:16
Davis Drewiske 2:16
Andrei Markov 2:14
Alexei Emelin 2:11
P.K. Subban 1:27

Murray should easily eat up 2:30-3:00 minutes per night from this group
Was Diaz really the second most used defenceman on the PK

Old
08-22-2013, 03:00 PM
JLP
Refugee

Can never have too many 7th defencemen!

Old
08-22-2013, 03:02 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Perfect signing by MB. Murray is a physical giant and his experience and ability to know his limitations will make him an excellent bottom pairing Dman. I hope tinordi gives them no choice but to make the starting roster in training camp. Then, when emelin is healthy we have 7 Dmen who make up a flexible, well rounded, balanced Dcore .

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Murray
Tinordi
Diaz

Not too shabby.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:04 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I'm a fan of this move for a couple reasons:

1) you can NEVER have enough d-man...EVER!!

2) a crease clearing big hitting dman is something the habs needs. they have enough puck movers, this fills a need.
Agreed!!! Good job MB!!!

Old
08-22-2013, 03:05 PM
sampollock

Clean house big murray

Old
08-22-2013, 03:05 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

I agree that the Habs outchanced and outshot the Sens. I do think that the Habs, however, were a mess in their own zone and allowed the Sens too much time and space, and lost too many board battles. The Sens were able to take advantage of this, and score on their opportunities.

As for their tendency to give up, that's where I would argue the physical gongshow took its toll on the Habs' psych (that, and the horrible refereeing in Game 4). And where the ability to push back aids immensely (character, grit, etc.).

Old
08-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Most had Habs not makin playoffs last year ...they did....
When they got there, not tough enough..period..
They are addressing the size and tough dept,which is a massive.flaw.

I see no bad in this move whatsoever...worst case we get beat in round one, but
Atleast we got a line of some guys who wont get there heads kicked in....

Doug Murray got 6 less career playoff points than Andrei Markov......let that sink in..

Old
08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I agree. The constant winining about small and soft is HF Boards people on their soapbox.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:16 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
MathMan,

The problem with only having puck-moving Dmen is that not all of them are good enough to win puck battles. The Habs towards the end of the season were getting absolutely massacred in their own zone and along the boards. Coupled with their Swarm defense-style, other teams were able to easily retrieve the puck and get quality shots on Price: they could walk in with impunity, take their time to place a shot, or just crash his crease. The Habs couldn't do anything about it.

So yes, ideally the Habs would get a guy like Chara who is a physical monster and has offense to his game... But seriously, who else out there fits that bill (even remotely) and wouldn't cost a fortune? When talking about a #5 or #6 Dman, the guys available usually have some weaknesses - they're almost always one dimensional in some way. You seem to prefer the PMD variety like Kaberle or Weber who fold in their own zone.

The reputation that the Habs are easily pushed around is real. It's not entirely deserved (the Habs have Subban and Emelin, two of the best open ice hitters in the game, and have Pacs, Eller and Galchenyuk now with guys like Bourque; Pleks can definitely play hockey), but the need for grit and physicality on the backend is a true need, not just a perceived one. I'm almost convinced Habs players tend to get injured because other teams hit to injure directly due to the Habs' reputation of being soft, i.e., other teams take liberties and feel emboldened against the Habs. Bergevin got a guy like Bouillon who isn't soft, but also isn't big enough to intimidate others or stick up for teammates.

Why does it seem like things devolve into a gongshow far more often with the Habs than for other teams (other than perhaps Pitt and Philly)? The Sens-Habs playoff series was supposed to be a good, civil one seeing as both teams hadn't really faced off against each other. Instead, the Habs get sucked once again into the hit-fest and obviously come out on the short end.
Nice post...

Old
Kid Dynomite

My take on the Douglas Murray signing:

Decent move, definitely a stop-gap measure since Emelin won’t be ready for the first part of the season.
I’m not doing cartwheels over this move, but I’m fine with it. It gives the Canadiens depth on the backend and, if this doesn’t work out and Murray struggles like he did in the playoffs last spring, he can be dumped since he’s only on a one-year contract.
If he plays well and there is a future for him in Montreal, Bergevin has demonstrated he will sign guys during the season to extensions.
I traded opinions with James Mirtle on Twitter and James was not enthused with the signing, believing there are better options for the Habs on the free agent front. I respect that opinion but I’ll stand by my belief that this is a decent signing.

Old
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
You'd have rather Tinordi out there playing the tough guys and potentially getting broken like Komisarek was? No way. Bringing Murray helps us making sure that Tinordi will never play THAT role in the next year for us.

People severely underrate his great PK abilities too. Seriously. This is the kind of addition our PK could use.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:19 PM
odishabs

Lots of bickering. I expect our D tandems to be:

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Tinordi

Murray - Diaz

ex: Bouillon and DD

Old
08-22-2013, 03:21 PM
guapo23

Why are people criticizing this deal?

We got a tough 6'2 245 lbs veteran stay-at-home defenseman for cheap.
Did not give anything up to acquire him.

Murray played for the Swedish Olympic Team.
Is great on the PK.
Has had seasons of over 200+ body checks.
Fights well, will protect teamates.
Clears the front of the net.

So what if he is slow? We have plenty of speedy puck moving defensemen to pair him with.

I swear, some of you have ridiculous expectations. We just addressed a huge organizational need. Why complain?

Closed Thread