HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 3)

Part 1
Part 2

Old
08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
First try in the HUT tourny I lost to canada who had 2 shots for the period. We went to overtime at 2-2. They took one shot in OT and it went in...

Next try I destroyed them 5-0 and they had zero shots. I guess the key is you don't let them get any shots...lol.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
PookDo

It was hard for me to shut off the game last night. only thing that bugs me about it at the moment is the fact that its only one period but I get it, its a demo. So happy I have 9/6 off so I can download the game a few days early. I have that season thing. I forgot what its called

Old
08-22-2013, 12:39 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Seems like everyone is getting the Chara vs Toews fight

08-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Deku Scrub
Hey Scotty...

vCash: 3900
I can't wait to try to fight Chara with Gerbe

Old
08-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Demo isn't that great, Be a Pro will be the deciding factor for me.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Anything on the Be a GM sim speeds that were at SNAILS pace last year? In NHL 10 I could sim an entire season in about an hour. Now Ill spend 4+ hours (12/13) on 1 season only because of the sim speed.

08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post
I can't wait to try to fight Chara with Gerbe
no kidding! That will be epic! Im going to fight Chara with Zuc!

Old
08-22-2013, 01:19 PM
rymajn

Have they done anything to fix the extremely unbalanced EASHL?

Old
08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
PookDo

I find it funny that Chara is even fighting. I tried so many times with NHL 12 and 13 during Be a Pro to engage him and usally ended up with an unsportman like penalty.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
For the first time since it came out on Xbox 360 I probably won't be buying NHL 14.. The game is just extremely mediocre and nothing really like the sport of hockey. The skating changes last year were long overdue and I was excited, but they totally butchered it. Every year we see very little improvements or if there are big improvements they always seem 'off.' You want to play an unbelievable game that is very much like the actual sport, go get FIFA 14. Even if you're not a soccer fan it's just an amazing game.

Sorry for those who don't like seeing these kind of comments but as someone who has supported the game for 7 years I'm getting bored of my favorite sports game and am sick of the lack of improvements. The game just flat out sucks.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:26 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
NHL 14 gets a free pass from me, provided NHL 15 is truly incredible. with next-gen and Ignite engine, im expecting really epic stuff. like FIFA 14 epic. i doubt they deliver though :/

Old
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Does anyone know whether Amazon.ca (Canada) does release-day shipping for the NHL titles? I would prefer their pre-order specials, but I want the game on release day. I can't get a straight answer out of Amazon, but if it was available last year, I assume it will be again. Did anyone preorder '13 from Amazon.ca?

Old
08-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
For the first time since it came out on Xbox 360 I probably won't be buying NHL 14.. The game is just extremely mediocre and nothing really like the sport of hockey. The skating changes last year were long overdue and I was excited, but they totally butchered it. Every year we see very little improvements or if there are big improvements they always seem 'off.' You want to play an unbelievable game that is very much like the actual sport, go get FIFA 14. Even if you're not a soccer fan it's just an amazing game.

Sorry for those who don't like seeing these kind of comments but as someone who has supported the game for 7 years I'm getting bored of my favorite sports game and am sick of the lack of improvements. The game just flat out sucks.
So out of all the games in the past 7 years this is somehow the worst? Get real this is the closest game they've made to the actual sport. There is only so much you can do within the confines of games. I'm not sure what else you are expecting considering they fixed the "butchered" skating.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
So out of all the games in the past 7 years this is somehow the worst? Get real this is the closest game they've made to the actual sport. There is only so much you can do within the confines of games. I'm not sure what else you are expecting considering they fixed the "butchered" skating.
I really like the demo. I have faith they will lower the fight frequency but goals seem a lot more realistic when you come by them, the skating is much better. Passes now connect, proper defensive positioning is rewarded.

The game was good in 13 and they just made it that much better.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:44 PM
tututooter21

I feel like this is a big fix to all the bad things that 11/12/13 had, with all the good stuff they had + added stuff. Overall, I believe it is worth 60$, but I can totally understand how someone wouldn't.

Hopefully it runs faster than 13, cause that was god-awful and embarrassing

Old
08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
ScottStevens

The Skating is great, shots are realistic, hits aren't happening all the time, but still effective (not all the time), and the goalies are improving. Seems like we will get those 2-1 games a lot more. I am very excited.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:12 PM
tututooter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStevens View Post
The Skating is great, shots are realistic, hits aren't happening all the time, but still effective (not all the time), and the goalies are improving. Seems like we will get those 2-1 games a lot more. I am very excited.
Agreed, this is a good balance between: User skill, Player skill, and Luck

Old
08-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Where did I say this is the worst out of all of them? The point is by now I would have hoped for something a lot better. The past few years I have gotten the games and haven't been able to get into them for the full year. NHL 12 lasted me until Christmas before it became stale and NHL 13 was even worse. The skating was bad before but what pisses me off is they upgraded it to this garbage. Acceleration is pathetic, turning is horrible, speed burst is too video gameish. Worst of all, when you have momentum and move sideways it looks like your player is going to blow a tire. It's just all very mediocre and not at all close to how players in the NHL skate. Deking is improving but skating needs to be improved if deking is going to be realistic. When you make a move your guy just stays in a solid stance while his stick does all the work. In real hockey you would see the feet making creative movements with the stick. The skating makes the pace of the game slow and boring.

IMO fighting, goalies, shots are all pretty accurate but the game will always be bad until skating is normal.

There are also so many small things that add to it. The crowd is boring, the commentators are getting old and so are the things they say, the shootouts suck, they still haven't added in different tape jobs (NHL 2K8 had this for god sakes), there aren't enough dekes, the celebrations suck. I could honestly go on and on. It's just getting old. FIFA is so far ahead of NHL it's not even funny.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Your opinion, but lets be honest.. skating is far from great. It's slow and choppy. The rest I do agree with.

EDIT - Pivots, crossovers, and little movements like that are fine but the straight line skating, sharp turns, and body movement while skating is not right.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:36 PM
ScottStevens

FIFA is in its own class. you can compare Madden to NHL but not FIFA to anything else.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
FIFA is in its own class. you can compare Madden to NHL but not FIFA to anything else.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
This made me laugh

Old
08-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Yea, cause that kind of stuff never happens in NHL.

FIFA is just an amazing game. In 2025 NHL might be on the same level as where FIFA is now.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:04 PM
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Yea, cause that kind of stuff never happens in NHL.

FIFA is just an amazing game. In 2025 NHL might be on the same level as where FIFA is now.
You do realize that the FIFA staff and budget is about 4 times the amount and size as nhl's right?

Closed Thread