HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official YEG T.E.M.W.S. Thread. Local Edmonton News, No Politics

Old
07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
jackstar

vCash: 500
It sounds as though when the Capitals or the city of Edmonton find a new sponsor for the former Telus Field they are going to try to build a new field. Or well want to anyways

jackstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
lere2001

Wow. I guess that national post writer wasn't too far off with his machete-wielding savages comment about Edmontonians

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...400/story.html

lere2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:19 PM
awesomo
HARD!

whats with all the coppers sitting there with their lights on ellerslie and 91st?

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:52 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Keep hearing this "fair for Canada" ad about some new cell phone giant coming in from the states. They've played the commercial so many times that I'm excited to see the great deals that this company is going to have.

Seems counter productive at this point.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Keep hearing this "fair for Canada" ad about some new cell phone giant coming in from the states. They've played the commercial so many times that I'm excited to see the great deals that this company is going to have.

Verizon I'm pumped

They tried to buy WIND but i think it got rejected by the gov't.

So they are trying to acquire Moblicity

Old
08-02-2013, 03:20 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

The propaganda coming from the big 3 to try to continue their oligopoly on the Canadian wireless market is really out in full force right now. If their rates are so much better than American companies, as their ads claim, they shouldn't be fighting new players from the US in the marketplace.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
The propaganda coming from the big 3 to try to continue their oligopoly on the Canadian wireless market is really out in full force right now. If their rates are so much better than American companies, as their ads claim, they shouldn't be fighting new players from the US in the marketplace.
That's what I thought. They make is sound as if thousands of jobs will be loss, which even if it's true aren't most those people just going to be employed by the new american company?

Really think people give a **** about who actually owns a company?

Old
08-02-2013, 03:45 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
That's what I thought. They make is sound as if thousands of jobs will be loss, which even if it's true aren't most those people just going to be employed by the new american company?

Really think people give a **** about who actually owns a company?
Totally. I don't give two craps if the guy gouging me on my cell phone is an American billionaire or a Canadian billionaire. They both have all their money in the Cayman Islands anyways.

As for the jobs "debate", almost all call center work is already done overseas, so no job changes there. And the field techs to deal with the infrastructure will have to be local anyways, so no job changes there either. It's all smoke screen to try and get the public to buy into their side and help lobby the government for them.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:50 PM
joestevens29

All the talk about the infrastructure that Canandians put up only for Americans to take it over is like it's some sort of World War invasion.

It's quite funny. I think I'm going to phone that fair Canada and thank them for letting me know there is a cheaper option soon coming and will not be locking into that new deal that I was going to need in a few months.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:37 PM
joestevens29

Lol, the new commercial is someone from a small town worried that the new company won't cater to them.

Well if that's the case then don't switch from your current provider and continue to support the company that is currently serving you.

Old
08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Verizon I'm pumped

They tried to buy WIND but i think it got rejected by the gov't.

So they are trying to acquire Moblicity

It was Telus wanting to buy Mobilicity. The Feds blocked it due to terms of the licenses owned by Mobilicity.

That's when news of Verizon coming North started.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
joestevens29

LOL, so someone quit the sonic 1 KM run to go back to hudsons.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Uhm...
You know what bothers me the most about this is that Calgary was so fast to pat themselves on the back. They even had radio ads with some guy that sounded like a muppet saying how great Calgary was in responding to the flood. I get that, but I have not heard one word from Calgary thanking for all of the outside support they received. I know many people that have resources and money as well as give their time to give victims relief and help get them (Calgary) back on their feet. This included many many people from Edmonton as well as other communities. The people who received the help were grateful, but the official statements am to be all self centered.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:53 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
You know what bothers me the most about this is that Calgary was so fast to pat themselves on the back. They even had radio ads with some guy that sounded like a muppet saying how great Calgary was in responding to the flood. I get that, but I have not heard one word from Calgary thanking for all of the outside support they received. I know many people that have resources and money as well as give their time to give victims relief and help get them (Calgary) back on their feet. This included many many people from Edmonton as well as other communities. The people who received the help were grateful, but the official statements am to be all self centered.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Well there you go I guess a thanks was made even if I didn't see it myself. How was this aired?

I wish however, they has spent similar time and resources thanking others as they did patting themselves on the back, which as noted was considerable. I don't see the need to play radio ads in Edmonton tell everyone how great the people of Calgary are, seems to me it would make more sense for those ads to thank the people of Edmonton and others for their support. So I stand by my comments.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
joestevens29

I guess the province is going to buy roughly 250 of the hardest hit homes at the last assessment price in an effort to help make sure this doesn't happen again. And to help the owners out of course.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Diotte's anti-arena Youtube video is pretty funny. And by funny I mean laughably bad.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:10 PM
SerbianEagle

Diotte showing who he really is....

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...028/story.html

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:15 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Diotte's anti-arena Youtube video is pretty funny. And by funny I mean laughably bad.
As bad as Envision Edmonton was in the last election?

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
awesomo
HARD!

LOL that was so bad, what an idiot hah

Old
09-21-2013, 01:17 PM
joestevens29

Heard the other day that the official close date for airport is November 30th. Curious to see what happens with a new City council with regards to new development.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Smartguy

Wrong thread

Last edited by Smartguy: 10-01-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Air Canada can go **** itself. That airline will never see another dollar from me.

Come tomorrow AC will only serve YEG with domestic routes as it is dropping LHR due to a lack of metal. No transborder, no international. It's an absolute joke that a major airline can so woefully underserve a major market.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:45 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Air Canada can go **** itself. That airline will never see another dollar from me.

Come tomorrow AC will only serve YEG with domestic routes as it is dropping LHR due to a lack of metal. No transborder, no international. It's an absolute joke that a major airline can so woefully underserve a major market.
I've taken that flight a few times and it was always full. Lots of people heading to India via Heathrow, although AC had a very old 767 on that route. Relatively small plane for a 8.5hr flight.

IcelandAir is opening Reykyavik-Edmonton-Reykyavik route, but that too will be a with a small plane. They are going to be flying 757's, which are a one aisle 3 by 3 planes, but longer than a typical WestJet 737.

Wonder if anyone else will take on that route now? British airways perhaps? I'e yet to see an airline not take advantage of a profitable flight.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Carrie Doll is retiring from broadcasting.

Quote:
Carrie Doll ‏@CarrieDollCTV 10m
News to share with you all: I'm retiring from broadcasting to spend more time with my kids & start my own biz. It's been an incredible run!!

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote