HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign Andrew Alberts [1 year, $600,000]

Old
08-22-2013, 06:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
OK, at $600k I don't mind this.

Is a bit odd since he actually played better last season than he did when he got the *ridiculous* 2 year/$2.5 million deal in the summer of 2011. He's been overpaid by $500k the past two seasons, but at least he's getting market value now.
Yeah I agree. I'm ok with this at $600K

08-22-2013, 07:05 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Well, it's last year's team...

MINUS Cory Schneider
MINUS Derek Roy
MINUS Mason Raymond (likely)
MINUS Max Lapierre

PLUS Brad Richardson
PLUS Mike Santorelli

In other words, we're worse. Pretty significantly worse.
And you weren't happy then either so what's the difference?

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
Did you watch any of the AHL games last year

Booth will be effective we need someone with size to drive the net which he does very well, can also play the body

quit being so doom and gloom it's pathetic
I give it until the end of October before the doom and gloom folks start the "fire Torts" and "Torts is the worst Canucks coach ever" threads.

Anyway, the problem with the Canucks last year was not a lack of talent, but a lack of motivation and willingness to compete. Torts commented that, based on the small sample of game film he watched, were too easy to play against. He has suggested that the key to next season is not bringing in new talent, but to get more production out of the current players, many who under-performed last season.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:17 PM
arsmaster

Looks like old AA was the benefactor of Tanev's overpayment.

Good on the Canucks getting him to sign nice and cheap. Why they didn't do the same for Tanev I'll never understand.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:17 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by KotES
negativity
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyone else
arguing with KotES

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Ryp37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
I give it until the end of October before the doom and gloom folks start the "fire Torts" and "Torts is the worst Canucks coach ever" threads.

Anyway, the problem with the Canucks last year was not a lack of talent, but a lack of motivation and willingness to compete. Torts commented that, based on the small sample of game film he watched, were too easy to play against. He has suggested that the key to next season is not bringing in new talent, but to get more production out of the current players, many who under-performed last season.
Agreed Torts said it himself we need to be harder on the puck, we're also gonna be fully healthy to start the season hopefully looking forward to it

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:22 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Took a big paycut... more than 50%.

This will mean Alberts will have played parts of 5 seasons with the Canucks. You rarely see fringe veteran players like him spend so much time in one team.
yeah, he must be doing something right behind the scenes. probably will be nolan baumgartner's assistant coach in whatever our AHL team will be someday.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:24 PM
BrandonL

At 600,000 I love this signing. I never thought the day would come where I would be excited to resign Andrew Alberts.

Alberts was actually really good in his role last season and probably deserved even more of an opportunity. Considering how injury prone and inconsistent the Canucks D core is, Alberts should get his chance this season with a new coaching staff. I suspect that Alberts will get an opportunity to play his way onto the 3rd pairing, as I think his battle level will earn him the good graces of Torts. Those two must be familiar with each other from their days in the Eastern conference.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
biturbo19

Great signing as far as i'm concerned. When Doug Murray is making nearly a million bucks more than Alberts, we're doing alright. I don't think there's much of a downgrade, and there are definite cost savings there.

Alberts is a known entity, brings the size/physicality/stiffness element that we were lacking for that 'bottom-pairing' or 'spare blueliner' role. Fits in really well with the guys in the room and is a very 'low maintenance' type player as well.

I think he's also likely to be a more effective player in general under a Torts 6 goalie system, which seems fairly well tailored to his limited skillset. That's what he's best at.

For $600k, you're not going to find many more solid bottom-pairing guys.

Does make me curious as to what sort of pairings we're going to see, and if Alberts might slot in as the #6 alongside Tanev. Whether we see Corrado in the lineup or pushed down to the minors for development and playing a huge role there.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Javaman

At $600k, I can't imagine why anyone would be annoyed by this signing. He's barely above league minimum, he can be buried in the minors if needed... I just can't see the downside here.

It's a good thing when your team is signing depth players close to the league minimum.

Just to put it into perspective... the Canucks are paying AA less than they paid Barker last season.

Let that sink in.

Javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Love

Quote:
Well, it's last year's team...

MINUS Cory Schneider
MINUS Derek Roy
MINUS Mason Raymond (likely)
MINUS Max Lapierre

PLUS Brad Richardson
PLUS Mike Santorelli

In other words, we're worse. Pretty significantly worse.
Except when you take injuries from last year into account:

Minus Derek Roy, Plus Ryan Kesler.

Minus Mason Raymond, Plus David Booth.

Losing Lapierre for Richardson is whatever.

Losing Schneider hurts.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Hamhuise-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado
Weber-Alberts

?
I think potentially, the "biggest" winner of this signing besides Alberts is both (not Shae) Weber and Corrado who would be in tough if a more name-brand and higher AAV i.e. Murray (@ 1.5M) signed with the Canucks.

Now I can see Corrado getting a realistic chance of being the sixth defenseman with Weber and Alberts at similar AAV his main competition.

Betamax* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

Losing Schneider hurts.
Good points. Plus Kassian's and Schroeder are another year old and developed.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:56 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

now Corrado's probably gonna play full time in AHL with Weber/Alberts alternating in and out of the lineup

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:57 PM
btdvox

Quote:
Ridiculous. Maybe you didn't watch the 12 games that Booth played in last year, but he was pathetic. And now it's not even looking like he'll be ready to start the season. At this point, I'd rather have Raymond on my team than Booth.

Richardson was a healthy scratch for an extended period on the Kings. He's not a better player than Lappy.

Put Kassian on the top line. Okay, why? Is he better than Burrows? Nope. Has he done anything to deserve it? Nope. The guy's barely even shown an ability to consistently score at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. 8 goals in 29 AHL games last year? That's your "killer" top line winger?
Yeah, Kassian is ready for top line. Just watch. With no sh!tty AV bogging him down.
Also Burrows and Kesler are Amazing duo together, or have you not watched the Canucks passed the last 5 years?
And booth played 12 games, after coming back from an injury and the getting injured again. Get the hint? He was still injured. And simple fact that you want Raymond means your point is irrelevant to me. I'm assuming your 1200 posts here are all downers, yet you still think of your self as a fan. Sigh...as I tell many Canucks "fans", there are 30 teams in the league you could watch.

Lastly, you clearly haven't watched Richardson play, he was instrumental during the cup run for Kings and has been solid anytime Canucks has faced them.

btdvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Javaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post

Lastly, you clearly haven't watched Richardson play, he was instrumental during the cup run for Kings and has been solid anytime Canucks has faced them.
I think King of the ES is reflexively negative about the Canucks. It doesn't actually matter what they do or don't do; he will deem it to be the wrong decision.

Richardson could turn out to be the second coming of a 2010/2011 Malhotra, and he would respond that the Canucks were negligent by not forcing Malhotra to wear a visor that year.

Unless the Canucks win the Cup, the King will reign on these boards.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Pizza Mane
Helen Kesler

just as important to sign Alberts at a good price like this as it was to sign Tanev in my eyes. Solid depth guy.

Pizza Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Javaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Mane View Post
just as important to sign Alberts at a good price like this as it was to sign Tanev in my eyes. Solid depth guy.
AT $2.1M combined... I'm happy.

I'd have liked to see Tanev sign for a bit less, but I was prepared to see AA sign for a bit more.

It all balances out.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:25 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

Losing Schneider hurts.
Notwithstanding the fact that these same guys could get injured again, as they often do, Ryan Kesler was on the playoff team that got swept. David Booth was not, but, realistically, the guy's just not very good. Anyone expecting some sort of rebound season by Booth is seriously "livin' on a prayer", as the song says.

My problem with exchanging Lapierre with Richardson is the we get a lot softer. Lapierre was a guy that would, at least, consistently throw bodychecks. I don't think Richardson's going to turn out particularly well. You want to see what your young guys have got? That's the exact type of guy that you don't sign. Hard to imagine a guy like Brendan Gaunce not being able to add value in, at a minimum, a comparable amount.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mclean View Post
So depressing. That's what you get for having an agent for a GM, no idea how to build a team.
As a 6th,7th d man alberts was fine last year.

People dont realize when they want guys like alberts or rome gone the replacement is someone like cam barker, no depth D men are going to be much better.

Much rather have AA then douglas murray.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:30 PM
btdvox

Quote:
Notwithstanding the fact that these same guys could get injured again, as they often do, Ryan Kesler was on the playoff team that got swept. David Booth was not, but, realistically, the guy's just not very good. Anyone expecting some sort of rebound season by Booth is seriously "livin' on a prayer", as the song says.

My problem with exchanging Lapierre with Richardson is the we get a lot softer. Lapierre was a guy that would, at least, consistently throw bodychecks. I don't think Richardson's going to turn out particularly well. You want to see what your young guys have got? That's the exact type of guy that you don't sign. Hard to imagine a guy like Brendan Gaunce not being able to add value in, at a minimum, a comparable amount.
Realistically, you have no idea what your taking about, and judging from the posts In This thread, most people ignore your comments. I'm sorry to have quoted them myself. I'll move on.

Last edited by btdvox: 08-23-2013 at 02:05 AM.
btdvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:32 PM
mriswith

Surprised we got him for 600k, great signing. There is zero risk in this and he was a solid #6 for the second half of last season.

mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Wisp

I think Alberts is better than Murray. Murray is just too slow these days and Alberts speed and agility has continually improved over the years. At 600k vs 1.5m, its not close.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

I like this signing mostly because I think he will play 35+ games this season if Corrado doesn't make the team. He is the type of player that gets progressively better the more the plays.

D Pairings

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Alberts-Tanev
Weber

Vs

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Weber/Corrado
Alberts

Both look good to me but I think the 1st set would be better in the playoffs

Seatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:11 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Why are people penciling Weber in over Corrado? With what Corrado showed in his brief stint, I think he's given a good look at cracking the top 6, with Weber and Alberts rotating as the 7/8 guys.
I don't really feel like they're even in direct competition.

I think whatever the scenario, Weber is the spare RHD, whereas Corrado is either in the top-6 or in the minors.

Basically:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Tanev
Edler-Corrado

or

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Alberts-Tanev

Either way, Weber is the #7D. Weber simply is not one of our 6 best defenceman, basically any way you slice it. And i don't see any reason to force him into the lineup just because.

Corrado on the other hand, if he really impresses, has the potential to really add something to team, more than Weber can. But he'll have to earn a regular top-4/6 spot (with 3 evenly rolled pairings) to make it worthwhile. If he's not going to be in the lineup basically every night...send him to the minors and go with an Edler-Garrison pairing, and Tanev anchoring the bottom-pairing instead.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote