HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Broker: Vancouver Heritage Classic tickets not selling well

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
Im sure canucks fans would be more inclined to go to the heritage classic if the Oilers, flames, leafs or habs come instead of the sens... nothing special about a sens/ canucks matchup imho... cant speak for canicks fans though.
An O6 team would have been a much better choice, any O6 team should be included in the heritage classic. I'd rather the heritage be about the NHL's heritage than some Canadian thing. Not saying a non O6 can't host it but at the least the visiting team should be about the league's roots.

Last edited by Confucius: 08-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
it is Vancouver and it is the prices--owners tries to sell as many tickets as he can at a high price and then as the date gets closer, the prices come down-- it will be a sell out

Old
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
The Sens are my 2nd favourite team if I go I'll be wearing my Sens hat and Kesler jersey

Old
08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
I just believe that no one really cares about the sens no matter how good they could be..
Well you seem to care for one. I dont think there's a thread that even mentions the Sens that you're not all over, in fact you seem to care more about the Sens than any other team including you own.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Why would anyone care about an Ottawa Vs. Vancouver game? There is no rivalry at all, the teams rarely see each other, this was bound to fail from the start.
I think it will be the 99th anniversary of Vancouver Millionaires' Stanley Cup victory over the Ottawa Senators!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1915_Stanley_Cup_Finals

But I could see this event getting a big boost if they have an alumni game and tie it in with this event. I mean if Pavel Bure (who will have his Canucks jersey retired this upcoming season) is one of the participants ... who wouldn't want to see him go head to head against the great Alexandre Daigle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
it is Vancouver and it is the prices--owners tries to sell as many tickets as he can at a high price and then as the date gets closer, the prices come down-- it will be a sell out
I believe this is a league run event (of course the Canucks get their share of the revenue) but if the tickets aren't moving, I could see them discounting and their corporate partners of the event buying up quantities of tickets and either discounting them or having "contests" and giveaways to make sure that the seats are filled.

Last edited by Betamax*: 08-22-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Ottawa Senators!!!
Old
08-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

No offence intended to the Senators (they're a rival team, but I love that they exist. I wouldn't change a thing about the Sens), but they are the worst draw of the Canadian teams. Especially to the western teams. Even Winnipeg would have been a bigger draw, if only because they're still riding the wave of being every Canadian's second favourite team (like the opposite of the Maple Leafs).

This particular game, of all the outdoor games, felt particularly shoe-horned into the season.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:12 PM
RomersWorld

Should've had Canucks/Hawks and Pens/Senators instead(although doesn't really make sense cuz the two home teams/heritage needs two Canadian teams). But still, Pens/Hawks and Nucks/Sens? Why? Doesn't make any sense. Blues have never been in an outdoor game while the Pens get their 3rd despite not having any bad blood, rivalry or anything? Heck, I don't think the Crosby has played in Chicago for like 6 years or something.

I just don't understand how they come up with these two brutal matchups. Maybe if they expected a Pens/Hawks SCF last year or something but still.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:18 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
An O6 team would have been a much better choice, any O6 team should be included in the heritage classic. I'd rather the heritage be about the NHL's heritage than some Canadian thing. Not saying a non O6 can't host it but at the least the visiting team should be about the league's roots.
The only people that care about original six teams are fans of an original six team. There's not much appeal there at all. What matters is relevancy today, and that means rivalries and powerhouses. Ottawa is neither, so it plays a factor in the lackluster draw.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
xlnc66

It's just a joke even having that game in BC Place to begin with. $90 for the cheapest ticket where you will need binoculars to be even able to see anything? Wouldn't surprise me if there's 1000's of empty seats at the game.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
No offence intended to the Senators (they're a rival team, but I love that they exist. I wouldn't change a thing about the Sens), but they are the worst draw of the Canadian teams. Especially to the western teams. Even Winnipeg would have been a bigger draw, if only because they're still riding the wave of being every Canadian's second favourite team (like the opposite of the Maple Leafs).

This particular game, of all the outdoor games, felt particularly shoe-horned into the season.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Actually you are quite wrong.

.http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2013

Old
08-22-2013, 09:46 PM
VanCanucks14

Aren't they only on sale for season ticket holders? I also haven't seen it advertised once if they are indeed on sale to the general public.

Also, BC Place isn't even really an outdoor stadium. Not even close to the same experience as a real winter classic. But I still want to go just for the atmosphere with 50,000 fans. I can see how it wouldn't appeal to people though.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:28 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1150
Ahahahah it's not for several months yet, no need to panic. To quote Mick Jagger "Time is on my side, yes it is"

Old
08-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The only people that care about original six teams are fans of an original six team. There's not much appeal there at all. What matters is relevancy today, and that means rivalries and powerhouses. Ottawa is neither, so it plays a factor in the lackluster draw.
O6 teams tend to have a larger fanbase outside the home market for the older demographic who had to cheer for a team (other than their own) if they lived outside one of the original six cities or they moved away from those cities (which tend to be among the largest, that's why they were the cities who were awarded the original teams in the first place).

Old
08-22-2013, 10:56 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
O6 teams tend to have a larger fanbase outside the home market for the older demographic who had to cheer for a team (other than their own) if they lived outside one of the original six cities or they moved away from those cities (which tend to be among the largest, that's why they were the cities who were awarded the original teams in the first place).
This may be true for the US, but in Canada, fanbase is dictated largely by geography and, obviously, market size.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Love

It is an absolute joke the way tickets are priced for Canucks games in general, so they expect us to pay triple the price for seats that are absolute horse ****? Yeah, that makes sense

Old
08-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Regardless the heritage classic is for canada and canada only... the bruins/rangers/blackhawks and red wings have all been in a winter classic for a reason, not to mention that goes on every year and there has only been 2 heritage classics since 03. The sens and canucks is a matchup not many people will care about, and quite frankly a humongous blunder by the nhl. No matter how bad the Oilers have been, you going to tell me there wouldnt be more interest in a Canucks/ Oilers game? there are pleanty of fans from the opposite fanbase living in the in their respective cities. They always invade each others barns and i guarantee it wouldnt have trouble selling. Bad draw for the canucks = people not really willing to justify paying 90 bucks for seats. I can see the game selling out in about 3 months time though.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:20 AM
GuelphStormer

free bongs and a sample of heritage classic chronic? that might help sales. and the $15 cheetos will fly off the concession shelves too. win-win-whaaat.

Old
08-23-2013, 09:04 AM
berklon

The outdoor games have been nothing but a cash-grab to begin with... all to watch a less intense game of hockey (yes, they don't play as well on the outdoor ice).

This Vancouver one goes one step further. High prices to watch what can barely be called an outdoor game (a small hole in the roof doesn't make it an outdoor game).

Old
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Why would anyone care about an Ottawa Vs. Vancouver game? There is no rivalry at all, the teams rarely see each other, this was bound to fail from the start.
How big of a rivalry was Calgary/Montreal, or Edmonton/Montreal? They've always played in opposing conferences, and the only playoff meetings at all between them were over 20 years prior (the 1986 and 1989 Cup Finals). Yet both of those sold out quickly.

Old
08-23-2013, 10:41 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
The outdoor games have been nothing but a cash-grab to begin with... all to watch a less intense game of hockey (yes, they don't play as well on the outdoor ice).

This Vancouver one goes one step further. High prices to watch what can barely be called an outdoor game (a small hole in the roof doesn't make it an outdoor game).
There's no guarantee the roof will even be open too.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:20 AM
hisgirlfriday

Setting aside the retractable roof issue and tier-below opponent in terms of prestige, as a rule do Canadian hockey fans just not care about outdoor games the same way as American fans?

I'm probably in the minority on this forum but I love the novelty of outdoor games. I love the weather weirdness aspect as someone who never saw or experienced pond hockey and I enjoy the hockey experience being combined with other sports experiences I love (as a blackhawks/cubs/bears fan) in the winter classic.

But do Canucks fans care about the BC lions or the BC Place the way a Blackhawks fan cares about the Bears/Cubs or Wrigley/Soldier Field? Maybe that's part of the problem.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:53 AM
silvercanuck

Let's see:

1. a CFL stadium built in the 80s that no one is really nostalgic for unlike Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium etc,
2. indoors with terrible sight lines.
3. a 20 year old expansion team from Ottawa that doesn't exactly have a large following in the East and has virtually no brand equity in Western Canada
4. massively inflated ticket prices
5. 6 other outdoor NHL games for the first time in the same season
6. recycled special event uniforms from the previous season
7. Canucks franchise having difficulty legitimately selling out in the regular season and playoffs because of price gouging.

This event could really not be marketed any worse.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Thricecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Let's see:

1. a CFL stadium built in the 80s that no one is really nostalgic for unlike Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium etc,
2. indoors with terrible sight lines.
3. a 20 year old expansion team from Ottawa that doesn't exactly have a large following in the East and has virtually no brand equity in Western Canada
4. massively inflated ticket prices
5. 6 other outdoor NHL games for the first time in the same season
6. recycled special event uniforms from the previous season
7. Canucks franchise having difficulty legitimately selling out in the regular season and playoffs because of price gouging.

This event could really not be marketed any worse.
Valid points except #7. The Canucks have sold out every game for the past 10 some-odd years.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
Valid points except #7. The Canucks have sold out every game for the past 10 some-odd years.
There is some controversy surrounding the sell out streak. The Canucks have bought up unsold tickets to keep the streak alive in the last few years.

Whether we believe the streak is real or not it;s common knowledge that Canucks' tickets are not in high demand like they were a few seasons ago. Brokers have mentioned this in several media reports. Tickets are easily available for most games including the playoffs and there are hundreds of empty seats visible at the arena over the last two seasons.

Fans only have so much disposable income to spend on entertainment. If the Canucks flood the market with 40,000 extra tickets at 3 times the price it will have a big effect on the supply.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
But I could see this event getting a big boost if they have an alumni game and tie it in with this event. I mean if Pavel Bure (who will have his Canucks jersey retired this upcoming season) is one of the participants ... who wouldn't want to see him go head to head against the great Alexandre Daigle?

Seeing Bure would be damn exciting though, for sure.

This is the Sens alumni team: http://senators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=69936

"The Great Alexander Daigle" is sadly not found. Maybe he'll come out of hiding for this though.

Closed Thread