HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign C Mikhail Grabovski

Old
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
I'm in love.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
MoJoSauce

vCash: 500
Basically the only move I wanted the caps to make all offseason, thought he would be a great fit both in terms of talent and needs for player/team.

I think he will be a better 5v5 fit for our team than Ribeiro ever was

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:40 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Pretty stoked by this move.

Made so much since for the Capitals AND for Grabovski. Nice August surprise considering it is the most dead hockey month of the year.

08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I think he will be a better 5v5 fit for our team than Ribeiro ever was
I think you're absolutely right. The PP might take a little bit of a hit but as far as even strength goes, Grabovski should tremendously help the puck possession on that 2nd line.

Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Erat - Grabovski - Brouwer
Fehr - Laich - Ward
Chimera - Perreault - Beagle

I like that 3rd line would do a great job at shutting teams down, while still applying offensive pressure.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Just read on Japers that Grabo had 37% offensive zone starts. He's a skill player. That's insane. It's almost like the Leafs were trying to ruin him.

In any event, had we signed this guy on July 5, he would have cost well over $5m per. Instead we got him for $3m. Sounds good to me.
Yea, it was just a bad situation. And honestly, I don't really blame Carlyle that much for misusing him, because there just wasn't much he could do given the situation. Carlyle's a guy who wants a clearly defined shutdown line, but he didn't have a lot of options. Bozak should've been in that role, but he and Kessel are best friends and the myth of their chemistry is still alive and well. The Leafs don't want to piss off Kessel before his contract ends, so no one was gonna pry Bozak out of that first line spot. Then there was Kadri's emergence as a ppg player, which no one saw coming. If he hadn't staked a claim to a top 6 role, they've got Grabovski on the 2nd line in an offensive role, McClement on the 3rd getting the primary shutdown minutes, and Steckel on the 4th handling the rest. Now with Kadri, you've got Grabovski on the 3rd line, McClement on the 4th, and Steckel out of the lineup. McClement can't take the primary shutdown role from the 4th line because the Leafs have pests and fighters for 4th line wingers (Orr, McLaren, Komarov) and they can't be playing those guys more than a few minutes a night. So the primary shutdown job falls to Grabovski because he's the only option and Steckel gets traded because he no longer has a job. There's really no way Carlyle could've handled that situation without screwing someone over.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Significant turnover on the second line in each of the past two seasons. The supporting cast keeps changing, time to see if this manifestation can get it done.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:07 AM
n3ss

Good deal, hopefully he works out for us.

Now, on to trading for a top 4D and we're set.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
At last. Soon the championship will be ours, all ours.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Brian23

I think one great thing about this, regardless of really anything else just yet, is that Oates sounds like the coach Grabo needs. He was complaining about not knowing his role and what the coach wanted from him. One thing you can't question with Oates is that he talks to his players, he's a real hands on coach when it comes to actually talking and interacting with him (not so sure on PP or PK and the such) and that should, in my opinion, really energize Grabo early. He'll know if Oates does or doesn't have his back, as well as things Oates' will want improved upon or toned down.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Charizard
I'm Batman

Hope he works out for you guys.

He was a warrior on the Leafs and I hated to see him go. He's gonna make us regret that.

Good sign up.

Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:51 AM
DukeDog13

3 separate Leafs fans coming here to tell us that he's a warrior. I'm half expecting him to cut people's heads off Game of Thrones style for us now.

DukeDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:57 AM
LordKmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDog13 View Post
3 separate Leafs fans coming here to tell us that he's a warrior. I'm half expecting him to cut people's heads off Game of Thrones style for us now.
He'll at least rid your enemies of their fingers

LordKmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

PO roster:

Kuz-Grabo-OV
MJ-Backs-Brouwer
Erat-Laich-Ward
Chimera-Beagle-Fehr

Results may vary. As usual.

Should be fun at least.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:32 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I'm in love.
Best thing bout that clip is the Basshunter music in the background The swedish version (and the english I guess?) is about a bot. A bot. His next song was called "Vi Sitter Här i Ventrilo och spelar lite DotA" (We're playing DotA and use ventrilo teamspek)

Hes so awesome

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:15 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I have 3 rules

If a guy rakes your eyes with his fingers and his wrist in your mouth, you can bite.

If everyone hates one of our players, I usually like that player more.

When multiple fans call a guy a warrior, he probably is.

I will take any player that plays with emotion at this point, for the entertainment factor. He reminds me a bit of Ribs. Less the dumb hairdo. What a steal at 3M. George can pay double for players that kiss the coaches ass but I like the change in direction / savings / no commitment.

Good point Brian. A cerebral communicator coach a former center himself, a gaping hole in our lineup, it seems like a good fit.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
I like this deal for 2 big reasons.

1.) It's a $2 MM upgrade vs. Ribeiro, from a possession standpoint especially.

2.) And (probably the main reason I like him) he called Carlyle an idiot. Fact.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 06:45 AM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
The fact he was bought out the day before his wedding could put a huge chip on his shoulder, hope he get a hattie at the ACC (kinda like how I wanted Sasha to score a hattie at Virizon because of the boo's but the Caps still winning naturally)

SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
The fact he was bought out the day before his wedding could put a huge chip on his shoulder, hope he get a hattie at the ACC (kinda like how I wanted Sasha to score a hattie at Virizon because of the boo's but the Caps still winning naturally)
As a Leaf he almost always lit up Montreal (or so it would seem). I'm not looking forward to his chip on his shoulder translating to him lighting us up too.

Plus, the idiot (I say it with affection) fought Chris Neil. What a guy.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Anyone willing to offer up a quick bio on Grabs? In my yute I knew everyone around the league. Thanks

maybe touch on speed hitting danglicity?

Locker room poison

I see the basic stats and see he is in his prime.
Missed that first time reading through, I lol'd

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:25 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Where's Tinner? Out buying his Grabovski jersey?
I'm actually browsing thru online Chinese sweatshops right now looking for one.

Meh..I don't care for this signing. I think we would have been better off without him. But now he's on the Caps so I'll be rooting for him.

I do like that its only a 1 year deal for multiple reasons not the least of which is that it will keep him motivated and keep him on his best behavior.

Oates does seem like a good communicator and this will probably help a malcontent player like him stay happy.

I'm gonna have to give GMGM a negative here. That said all the GMGM haters seemed to want this guy. If thats the case you all should be giving him a positive.

If things should go sour and Grabo doesn't do well I don't want to see anyone coming out and reversing their position!

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:29 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It's not 100% that we wanted the guy, at least not with me. I just wanted George to try to add someone.

I am still laughing at Brooks Laich, Center.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:39 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It's not 100% that we wanted the guy, at least not with me. I just wanted George to try to add someone.

I am still laughing at Brooks Laich, Center.
It's hard to remember the stances of every single poster but the general sense I got was that there was an overwhelming desire for GMGM to add this guy. The lack of signing him seemed to be perceived as a sleight to GMGM for not "doing" something.

I just find it funny. Alot of the detractors here site the Caps "low hockey IQ" as a huge issue.

Yet the very same people are clamoring for one of the lowest "hockey IQ" players in the league.

Got what they wished for there!

But here it to hoping he has a great year. I think if there is someone who can put him in a position to succeed its Oates. And the 1 year contract mitigates alot of risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OviTaughtMe View Post
Where's that BobRouse guy? Has his head exploded?
Yep. Thankfully they picked up all the pieces and scooped up all the brains bits and glued me back together.

Quote:
In the playoffs he caused Boston a lot of problems with his speed and would greatly benefit the team in my opinion. He got mad after his buyout and justifiably so, to be bought out the day before your wedding must be one of the worst things that can happen to a player especially as it seems out of nowhere. In that regard, Grabovski had a right to be pissed. In terms of leadership, he had some in Toronto as for much of the 10/11, 11/12 season, he was wearing an "A", and he still pisses everyone off in Montreal.
Not that the stat is that reliable but was not Grabovski a -10 in 7 playoff games vs the Bs?? Thats definitely not a good thing if nothing else.

Maybe he did have a right to be pissed....but keep your trap shut! It serves no purpose to badmouth a coach especially with a multiple F bomb tirade.

Last edited by BobRouse: 08-23-2013 at 07:45 AM.
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Heis3nberg

My favourite player. All heart and when he wants to win a game he will step it up. Surprisingly reliable defensively and never gives up on a play. He can take a beating and a huge hit and will always get back up. I was very upset to see him go but he will fit in nicely in Washington.

Heis3nberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Langway
Intangibles

It's official:

@VogsCaps: Yes, the #Caps have signed C Mikhail Grabovski. One year, $3 million. Read all about it here: http://dumpnchase.monumentalnetwork....vski/index.jsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I just find it funny. Alot of the detractors here site the Caps "low hockey IQ" as a huge issue.

Yet the very same people are clamoring for one of the lowest "hockey IQ" players in the league.

Got what they wished for there!
Yeah but he at least plays the game fast and high energy. Erat & Brouwer aren't really players that create an identifiable second line based on their skill sets alone. Grabovski perhaps can. If you're going to play with blinders that's the way to do it in today's game. He's also a pretty solid forechecker so really what I take people to mean is that he's just not much of a playmaker. I can live with that under the circumstances.

Looking at a lot of his goals in his 20+ goal seasons with Toronto he's a guy that goes to the net/slot and will benefit from Erat probably in particular. Whether an Erat-Grabovski-Brouwer line really clicks depends on whether Brouwer can make further strides as a more consistent and focused ES player. He needs to be a better wall worker ala Ward or else I'd be tempted to utilize Ward in that spot (if he's still around).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Now get a 2LD and lets call it an offseason.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote