HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raise the Jolly Roger: Byrd is the Word

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 09:40 PM
sniugneP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Heard that on the pre game show. The hosts were saying that if he needs Tommy John, then he will be basically out for a calendar year, he will of course exercise his player option and the Buc's will be eating $14 mill. next year to pay Wandy to rehab.
It will be $13M for next year. Astros will pay $5.5M and Bucs will pay $7.5M.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I like Joey Tabs more than most but I have this free tshirt from Free Shirt Friday that's just a picture of him with a big 31 and TABATA on it which...no.

Any word on him or Marte for tonight?
Tabata in, looks like Marte is available only as a pinch runner again.

Sucks about Wandy...but at this point I don't know if I'd really want a guy making his 3rd start back in the playoffs, which was likely the case if he did come back. Wandy definitely provides a better option at #3 in the playoffs than Locke right now...but with the way Charlie is playing I really have no issue with Morton starting in the playoffs. Hell, I wouldn't have a problem with Cole starting at PNC either, at least you pretty well know what you're getting out of him (6 innings, 2-3 runs allowed, and a lot of pissy faces).

Wandy's option is a player option, which this injury already made a given to be excercised...but if he's going to see Dr. Andrews then he may be a long-shot to play at all next year. We're not going to replicate a pitcher of his quality for $7.5 million next year (well, not without this pitcher screwing up his arm with some Christmas hijinks, that is...remember, Liriano was originally set to cost $8 million per year sans bonuses), which is all we would have been on the hook for...but hey, that's potentially $7.5 million extra we can throw at Abreu thanks to the insurance on his contract. If nothing else this probably makes re-signing Burnett an even bigger priority than it was before. We'll probably go dumpster diving again for a veteran, but at this point I don't think anyone would be against Brandon Cumpton being #5 for a couple of months before Taillon makes the jump.

I expect the Pirates to be fairly busy this off-season...there's a lot of money that is going to have to be spent if Bobby wants to continue getting his big market buy-off/revenue sharing check, and nobody up for a real big raise this off-season. Normally I'd say we'd never be up for a bidding war for an unproven commodity, but the timing may be right for Abreu to happen. At least I expect us to be legitimately in the race before one of the big markets just throws $20 million extra at him to seal the deal...

On the brighter side of things...according to Keith Law the Pirates are the organization strongest at both catcher and outfield. That's top-to-bottom, in the Majors and in the minors. Neither is at all surprising considering what we have at the Major League level compared to the top competition at those positions (Yankees don't have a catcher and the Twins outfield is a complete disaster right now, no matter how good their prospect pool is).

FWIW I'm not 100% sure on the insurance on Wandy's contract...but considering the size of the deal when signed it's a safe assumption that the Astros insured that thing. Neither team should be paying him anything until he starts pitching again, so the actual impact of Wandy's $13 million option should be closer to $1-3 million, depending on when he's able to start pitching again.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
08-22-2013, 09:45 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
It will be $13M for next year. Astros will pay $5.5M, Bucs will pay rest of it.
Oh, OK, I thought they said $14, (they might have and just been wrong). And they had no mention of the Astros picking up tab. Well that would ease the pain just a bit, but still a big loss of payroll that I don't see them replacing. Their budget will likely be their budget, with our without him.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Rico Fatastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
On the brighter side of things...according to Keith Law the Pirates are the organization strongest at both catcher and outfield. That's top-to-bottom, in the Majors and in the minors. Neither is at all surprising considering what we have at the Major League level compared to the top competition at those positions (Yankees don't have a catcher and the Twins outfield is a complete disaster right now, no matter how good their prospect pool is).
It's ESPN, so I shouldn't be surprised. But I like how most of the section about the Pirates having the best catcher depth is spent talking about the Yankees.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:55 PM
sniugneP

Big, where is Pirates rank in terms of prospects? I remember Keith Law had Bucs at 7th before the season started. I would think we move up to Top 5 by now that Glasnow emerging as one of top pitching prospects plus a couple of first rounders in Meadows and McGuire.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Meadows and McGuire on top of the breakouts of Polanco, Kingham, and Glasnow...the Pirates are easily in the top 5, maybe top 3.

I'd say the only team safely ahead of the Pirates right now is the Twins, though a couple others could be argued.

One of the guys Law mentions as a key to the Pirates depth in the outfield doesn't even get mentioned much by Pirates folks just because of the guys in front of him (Jose Osuna, who's numbers are unimpressive this year until you realize he's a 20 year-old Venezuelan in the Florida State League).

It's also worth noting that Law put the Pirates and Rays slightly behind the Cardinals for starting pitching.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 08-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 10:30 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Talk about painting corners.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:39 PM
bradshaw06

lol everyones favorite Jones just blasted one into the water.

Jordy follows up with one as well. 3-0 buccos

Old
08-22-2013, 10:42 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Yeah, awful pitch by Cain. Left one hanging, came in flat and high, and Jones just CRUSHED IT!!

Old
08-22-2013, 10:43 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Mercer follows up with another!

Cain, looking nothing like past seasons.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Tabata hits one foul, that had homerun distance.

Cain serving up bp.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

The director of finance at my company was the VP of finance for the Pirates back in the early 80s to the mid90s, prior to McLatchy buying the team. He has some great stories. He has a bunch of connections still, including Greg Brown, who at that point was an intern.

He refers to Brown all the time as "a gem", and says he's exactly as nuts and you imagine.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
bradshaw06

Just need Locke to not self destruct.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:43 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

And it's tied.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:47 PM
bradshaw06

Locke stinks.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:48 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
Locke stinks.
Looks like he has hit a wall in this part of his season. Tough to get it back once that happens. Whether mental or physical fatigue, or both.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Locke blows.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:49 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
As long as Locke can last 2 more innings without giving up any runs, it would be considered a decent outing

Old
08-22-2013, 11:54 PM
bradshaw06

If he got the walks under control it wouldnt be so bad. He needs a start skipped.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:01 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Pedro doubles with bases loaded. Unfortunately a ground rule two-bagger, or Cutch scores easily.

5-3 Buc's.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Friggin' stadium. Second time Cutch has to go to third instead of easily scoring on a Pedro ground-rule double.

At least he scores this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
As long as Locke can last 2 more innings without giving up any runs, it would be considered a decent outing
It doesn't look like he's going to get the chance to do that. The games are too important right now and this game is too winnable for us to just hope he'll fix everything mid-game.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:02 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Martin gets Cutch home with a sac fly, 6-3 good guys.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:03 AM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
If he got the walks under control it wouldnt be so bad. He needs a start skipped.
I agree, Gomez or Johnson should take his next start, Locke against the Cards is asking for trouble

Old
08-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Jones battles admirably against a lefty and draws a walk, allowing Gaby to sacrifice Pedro in. 7-3.

If the Pirates really do yank Locke after just 4 innings tonight I'd say there's a very good chance he gets skipped next time out. That'd be against the Brewers, though, not the Cardinals.

edit: So help me if we bat Locke here just to yank him to 'save the bench'...

Old
08-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Dylonus

There's the Locke I was waiting on... That Brad Lincoln clone... but much better.

It's one of two things.

(1) Locke had a crazy lucky 1/2 season

or

(2) Locke is still having massive back problems, still.

Closed Thread