HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bossy vs Sakic

View Poll Results: Who ranks higher on your all time list?
Mike Bossy 97 57.06%
Joe Sakic 73 42.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Stars and Bolts

vCash: 500
Bossy vs Sakic

Who ranks higher on your all time list?

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:30 PM
tucker3434

I can never vote against Sakic, but I'd expect most to pick bossy.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:18 PM
nmbr_24

I vote for the guy who scored 50 goals every year except for his last injury shortened season and holds the record for most consecutive 50 goal seasons and has the highest goal per game ratio ever in the modern era of hockey.

Sakic was fantastic too, but Bossy was even better.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:31 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Bossy, not close like the poll is suggesting.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Sakic. He beats Bossy on longevity.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:30 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

As an Isles fan, The Boss is who I pray to as he is my hockey god.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Regal

I tend to think Bossy gets a bit overrated due to the 50 goal seasons. 50 goals then wasn't the same it is now, and while he had several years in the 60s he also had several of just over 50. He was a better goalscorer than Sakic, but Sakic was the better playmaker, better defensively and controlled the play better. As well while Bossy was a monster in the playoffs, Sakic had some epic runs himself. I think peak and prime is pretty close, but Sakic's longevity is amazing. I think I would take him.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I'd take Bossy in his prime over Sakic in his. Sakic was a dominant player for a longer time thought, pretty close poll.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Sakic. He beats Bossy on longevity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I tend to think Bossy gets a bit overrated due to the 50 goal seasons. 50 goals then wasn't the same it is now, and while he had several years in the 60s he also had several of just over 50. He was a better goalscorer than Sakic, but Sakic was the better playmaker, better defensively and controlled the play better. As well while Bossy was a monster in the playoffs, Sakic had some epic runs himself. I think peak and prime is pretty close, but Sakic's longevity is amazing. I think I would take him.
So because a guy got injured and it shortened his career that counts against him?

Wow. Bossy showed no signs of declining even while playing injured. It was pretty much completely out of his control that his career ended. It's a shame that you guys count that against him.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
So because a guy got injured and it shortened his career that counts against him?

Wow. Bossy showed no signs of declining even while playing injured. It was pretty much completely out of his control that his career ended. It's a shame that you guys count that against him.
Poop happens. I'm not usually one to put more stock in career than prime but I think it's close enough that it matters for me. And it's not as if Sakic had a typical career, he was still a very good player right to the end. I have my doubts even healthy Bossy could have kept up.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:37 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
The only player with as many 50+ goal seasons as Bossy is Gretzky, who didn't do them all in a row like Bossy. The only two players to get to 500 goals faster than him are Gretzky and Lemieux. How on Earth is Bossy overrated?

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:45 PM
The Red Line

Bossy pretty easily.

It isn't a popular opinion, but Sakic gets vastly overrated because he's so often compared to superior players.

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
The only player with as many 50+ goal seasons as Bossy is Gretzky, who didn't do them all in a row like Bossy. The only two players to get to 500 goals faster than him are Gretzky and Lemieux. How on Earth is Bossy overrated?
Because people talk about it as if it's more impressive than it is. Yea, he had 9 straight 50 goal seasons, but he also did it in the perfect era for him, and it's not as if he was leading the league in goals the majority of those years. Bossy was great, but I think that record tends to skew things in his favour sometimes.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:07 PM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

Sakic played during the dead-puck era and was a consistently elite, productive two-way centre. Bossy, while being a favourite of mine, just wasn't as dynamic or important as Sakic.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:07 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Poop happens. I'm not usually one to put more stock in career than prime but I think it's close enough that it matters for me. And it's not as if Sakic had a typical career, he was still a very good player right to the end. I have my doubts even healthy Bossy could have kept up.
Pick ANY 3 seasons of Sakic and ANY 3 seasons of Bossy. Please get back to me after you comapre. You can even compare Sakic's three best seasons vs Bossy's 3 worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
Bossy pretty easily.

It isn't a popular opinion, but Sakic gets vastly overrated because he's so often compared to superior players.
Not to mention that he is still fresh in everybody's memory and still works for an NHL team.

Quote:
Because people talk about it as if it's more impressive than it is. Yea, he had 9 straight 50 goal seasons, but he also did it in the perfect era for him, and it's not as if he was leading the league in goals the majority of those years. Bossy was great, but I think that record tends to skew things in his favour sometimes.
So he was just in the right place at the right time... for 10 years straight... Not showing any signs of decline... Winning 4 stanley cups...

Heck most of HF-boards says whoever has more cups is better. Where there you go!

Old
08-22-2013, 10:10 PM
29MacKinnon29
Nate the Great

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
Bossy pretty easily.

I'm guessing you're a Detroit fan? Who are these "superior" players you speak of?

29MacKinnon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

FilthyNote anti-Avalanche? Color me shocked

Homer vote for Joe, but Bossy was the more dominant player for sure.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Bossy was treat to watch

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
FilthyNote anti-Avalanche? Color me shocked

Homer vote for Joe, but Bossy was the more dominant player for sure.
Oh silly Duche fan!

But seriously, I would vote Bossy here even if Sakic played his entire career with.... Florida and had the same stats, numbers, and awards. Bossy was pretty fantastic.

I actually like Sakic a lot. Just not the team he played for or the fans he played in front of the most

Old
08-22-2013, 11:06 PM
ResilientBeast

vCash: 300
Bossy and it's not really close for me.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:09 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
It's not like Sakic was leading in all statistical categories. Bossy had two #1 goal scoring finishes and played against prime Gretzky for 6 out of his 10 seasons in the NHL. Sakic never lead in goals or points in his career. Bossy's career high in goals is better than Sakics career high in goals and equal to Sakics career high in assists. Bossy's career high in assists is higher than Sakics career high in assists. Bossy has had 3 season over Sakics career high in points, and 4 more seasons within 3 points of Sakics career high in points.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:18 AM
ESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
Pick ANY 3 seasons of Sakic and ANY 3 seasons of Bossy. Please get back to me after you comapre. You can even compare Sakic's three best seasons vs Bossy's 3 worst.
Ridiculously untrue statement.

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:46 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Coinflip

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 02:17 AM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Bossy is high on my list, top 15 all time so him for me.

TopShelfYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

People forget that Bossy was the 3rd most valuable player on his team, not the 1st. Sakic for me. More complete.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote