HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Predict the Sochi 2014 top 3

Old
07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Does anyone really think that not at least two medalists will be amongst CAN/RUS/SWE/USA? That leaves at the very best one medal that the next four teams can fight for. 25 percent chance tops=Not very good odds if you ask me.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:24 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCaniac View Post
Slovak?
Yes, I'm full well aware what he meant with it, he just got the shortened form wrong at first. It's a source of regular confusion, but SLO stands for Slovenia. Slovakia is SVK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
Let's assume that CAN, SWE, USA and RUS all play in different QF pairs. It's unlikely (maybe <40%), but let's assume so.
I'd it lower than ten, personally. Like I said earlier, there's not just one, but three different conditions that need to be beaten that all those four will end up in different pairs. It's as close to a technical guarantee as you can get.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:29 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Does anyone really think that not at least two medalists will be amongst CAN/RUS/SWE/USA? That leaves at the very best one medal that the next four teams can fight for. 25 percent chance tops=Not very good odds if you ask me.
Yes, that is correct. But you're missing the point. We're not trying to prove a single country's odds to medal, but arguing against those predictions that place ALL the top four in the final four. Because that is not very likely to happen. It's not to say that one of them won't win gold or that two of them won't medal. That has rather good odds of happening. But it's similarly likely that one or two of them won't make it past the QF stage, because it's just one game, and more importantly, the system is going to pit some against each other.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:32 PM
roto

Quote:
I'm afraid but I don't understand your logic. Can you explain?

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:35 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
I'm afraid but I don't understand your logic. Can you explain?
It looks as if he thinks we're trying to argue that say, Finland, has better odds to medal than people think. Which we're not. All we're saying is that the statistical probability of all top-four teams of making the semis is rather low. Some will be there, and some will not.

It's a whole different thing to try and count the odds for one specific team to make it. I know I'm not getting into that.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:17 PM
bob437

This is my prediction for the 2014 Men's Winter Olympic Ice Hockey Tournament from bob437. GOLD MEDAL-Russia SILVER MEDAL-Sweden BRONZE MEDAL-Canada

bob437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:31 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Hmm, looked into the Czech players the other day. What struck me is that they have quite a few forwards that are producing and defenders that will take clear roles. And their goalie will be great, Pavelec.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:47 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
One should not leave out Russia from the top three as it would be a real upset with home ice for them to not get a medal. Sweden and Canada will probably get medal too, with no upsets.

So... upsets do happen. I predict:
1) Russia, overachieving on home ice.
2) USA, always stepping up on big tournaments.
3) Canada, beaten by Russia.
4) Sweden, beaten by USA

More wishful and perhaps more rational too I think that Sweden and Canada are the finalists with Russia as #3.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Yamaguchi*

1 - USA

2 - Russia

3 - Sweden

Yamaguchi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Tomas W