2013 OHL Draft Picks Signed/ Committed

Old
06-22-2013, 12:22 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Expect the IceDogs to announce the signing of its 2nd round pick Zach Wilkie in the next day or two.
It's done

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
It's done
Good draft pick. Bright future for Dogs. Haydon, Dunn and Wilkie on back end. Perlini, McCool Verhaeghe and Difruscia upfront.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
defensehockey19

@SeanLafortune: The Petes have called a press conference this afternoon, dont be shocked if if they announce the signing of 1st round pick Matt Spencer.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Here is the release
http://gopetesgo.com/article/matt-sp...mmits-to-petes

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Was expecting Lizotte too. Hopefully he signs soon as well.

Spencer Quote on twitter:

"@TSRhockey: Three months ago Matt Spencer captained the Oakville Rangers to the OHL Cup, now he's donning a Petes jersey with a 'C' in the future."

Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-26-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old
06-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Crottenham

Noticed Rangers signed 8th round pick Pederson.

Curious, do teams normally sign their 8th round picks in June before they've even seen them play at main camp?

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
NHL Fanatic

Cameron Lizotte has signed with the Petes

http://www.gopetesgo.com/article/cam...mmits-to-petes

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Jesse Saban (2nd round pick) offically signed with the Otters. Cole Mayo is believed to be close.

ErieOttersNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Noticed Rangers signed 8th round pick Pederson.

Curious, do teams normally sign their 8th round picks in June before they've even seen them play at main camp?
Nope. But when you're a big body who is a safe pick on a rebuilding team and your brother is on the team, they make exceptions.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:53 PM
NV

The Petes signed the Webb brothers today.

NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 08:45 PM
NHL Fanatic

Jesse Barwell commits with the Steelheads

Old
08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
NHL Fanatic

IceDogs sign Ryan Sarris and Johnny Corneil

Old
08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
jfb392

Marner commits:
Quote:
Marner87 It's official I'm knight!! Couldn't be happier!!
http://twitter.com/Marner87/status/370694605488291840

It has essentially been done for months but is now official.
The only remaining unsigned first rounder is Jordan Greenway, who has committed to the USNTDP.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:58 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Marner commits:

http://twitter.com/Marner87/status/370694605488291840

It has essentially been done for months but is now official.
The only remaining unsigned first rounder is Jordan Greenway, who has committed to the USNTDP.
The Hunters will acquire him after christmas, and will sign him right away! WOW

ImaBullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:00 PM
OHLFan8771

Cole Mayo has signed with the Otters.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:27 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
The Hunters will acquire him after christmas, and will sign him right away! WOW
Lets not get to carried away

Odds are you'll see Jordan in Plymouth next year, he is committed to the US U17 program, can't commit anywhere in the OHL this year.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:35 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Lets not get to carried away

Odds are you'll see Jordan in Plymouth next year, he is committed to the US U17 program, can't commit anywhere in the OHL this year.
He can get bought out of the program thou? $50,000?
Sean, what's your take on the recent uproar about some media reports about what the league should do about the ongoing trend of US players flocking to the Knights?

Old
08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
He can get bought out of the program thou? $50,000?
Sean, what's your take on the recent uproar about some media reports about what the league should do about the ongoing trend of US players flocking to the Knights?
Im not sure the specifics, but there is a way to get out, hence the Ryan MacInnis move. I do believe there is a 15 day window to opt out without having to pay the fee, don't quote me thou.

Im not sure its a trend, they have signed Dvorak, Mermis, Braodhurst and Stolarz? Storlarz was undrafted after two OHL Drafts, that's on the rest of the league, they didn't give him the time of day. So was Dvorak to be honest, a top 80 talent who fell to the 8th round. Mermis was a top 40 guy who fell past the 10th round. We all know the Broadhurst connection. Look at the rate of return on guys past the 8th round (something less then 60 OHL games per pic, depth guys who can be replaceable), is ridiculous that top 40 guys are passed over for, at best, long shots. Its a flawed strategy.

Want to stop the Knights from getting top US players? Draft them before they do, Belleville did it, the Storm are starting to do it. You can lie back, complain and do nothing, or you can get aggressive and do something about it. Respect the teams like Guelph who don't take option 1.

That said, the core of the Knights, guys like Tierney, Horvat, the Ruperts, Anderson, Elie, Platzer et all where just smart picks. Anyone could have had them. Anderson went undrafted twice as well. Can't fault them for making intelligent selections that payed off.

Last edited by SeanLafortune: 08-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 11:08 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Quote:
Im not sure the specifics, but there is a way to get out, hence the Ryan MacInnis move. I do believe there is a 15 day window to opt out without having to pay the fee, don't quote me thou.

Im not sure its a trend, they have signed Dvorak, Mermis, Braodhurst and Stolarz? Storlarz was undrafted after two OHL Drafts, that's on the rest of the league, they didn't give him the time of day. So was Dvorak to be honest, a top 80 talent who fell to the 8th round. Mermis was a top 40 guy who fell past the 10th round. We all know the Broadhurst connection. Look at the rate of return on guys past the 8th round (something less then 60 OHL games per pic, depth guys who can be replaceable), is ridiculous that top 40 guys are passed over for, at best, long shots. Its a flawed strategy.

Want to stop the Knights from getting top US players? Draft them before they do, Belleville did it, the Storm are starting to do it. You can lie back, complain and do nothing, or you can get aggressive and do something about it. Respect the teams like Guelph who don't take option 1.

That said, the core of the Knights, guys like Tierney, Horvat, the Ruperts, Anderson, Elie, Platzer et all where just smart picks. Anyone could have had them. Anderson went undrafted twice as well. Can't fault them for making intelligent selections that payed off.
Every championship team is built from within. There are added perks when you have a good track record, a good University and a geographical advantage. Let's not forget that even London can't get every prospect (Clendening, Balisy, Louis, Hamilton, MacAdam, Piccinich just to name a few from recent drafts).
Don't know what people want the OHL to do to London, Kitchener, Windsor, Plymouth. Keep them from drafting and dilute the talent level even more?

poisonivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:

I see your point sean, but I (maybe selfish thou) am saying we do select some very good US players, but just can't seem to get them here. Being a small market team, I think its surely a tougher sell, unlike the likes of London, Kitchener and Windsor.

Old
08-23-2013, 08:24 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
I see your point sean, but I (maybe selfish thou) am saying we do select some very good US players, but just can't seem to get them here. Being a small market team, I think its surely a tougher sell, unlike the likes of London, Kitchener and Windsor.
The Knights miss out on more players then they sign, I bet it's a 4-1 ratio on hits and misses with US players. The Bulls do draft the odd US player, but the commitment isn't at the sane level. The Knights are relentless with recruiting and staying in contact with potential recruits, I'm not sure that can be said about all teams.

How did the McCarron trade work out for you? Turning a 6th round pick into 3 2nds? If I'm running an OHL team, I want more US draft picks on my reserve list, make the Knights pay with assets as opposed to simply backing off and shrugging your shoulders.

The US/London debate reminds me of a player who gets punched on the face in a scrum. You can look to the ref, complaining while you continue to get punched, or you can punch back. We all know how fans hate players who don't stick up for themselves. It's good to see teams like Guelph and Belleville not simply complaining to the 'ref' and starting to punch back. It's not as hard as you think.

Old
08-23-2013, 10:29 AM
webegtodiffer

london has a huge edge with U.S. kids; proximity to U.S., huge building, big attendance, big university town. There is no small market team that can compete on that level, and all 20 teams cant be within hours of the mid west states, where the majority of U.S. Players come from.

webegtodiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
The Knights miss out on more players then they sign, I bet it's a 4-1 ratio on hits and misses with US players. The Bulls do draft the odd US player, but the commitment isn't at the sane level. The Knights are relentless with recruiting and staying in contact with potential recruits, I'm not sure that can be said about all teams.

How did the McCarron trade work out for you? Turning a 6th round pick into 3 2nds? If I'm running an OHL team, I want more US draft picks on my reserve list, make the Knights pay with assets as opposed to simply backing off and shrugging your shoulders.

The US/London debate reminds me of a player who gets punched on the face in a scrum. You can look to the ref, complaining while you continue to get punched, or you can punch back. We all know how fans hate players who don't stick up for themselves. It's good to see teams like Guelph and Belleville not simply complaining to the 'ref' and starting to punch back. It's not as hard as you think.
You're 100% correct!
The Kitcheners and Londons want to thank the other teams for not drafting the higher end kids......and fans keep wondering about the discrepancy in the league???
Draft them and if they don't want to report to your team....trade them to a city they will report to and recoup that position if not higher x 2!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights4Cup View Post
Every championship team is built from within. There are added perks when you have a good track record, a good University and a geographical advantage.
Sean may take issue with what I'm about to say....but being on 401 corridor and based in London, Kitchener and Guelph allows the kids to be more exposed to NHL scouts! (which can be good or bad for some players!)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Sean may take issue with what I'm about to say....but being on 401 corridor and based in London, Kitchener and Guelph allows the kids to be more exposed to NHL scouts! (which can be good or bad for some players!)
Not all all, there is truth there. But, Scouts will go where the players are (but I get that sometimes players don't get that). I was in Owen Sound 5 times last year, NHL guys are there more.

It still goes back to why sit on your hands and let those teams dictate things? Draft the kid and make London/Kitchener et all pay with assets. Draft them, do what you can on getting them signed, but if you can't, then trade him to a team that can. Even if he doesn't report to the OHL, what's the loss? An 8th round pick? What's the average return on an 8th rounder? Its not a lot.

My biggest issue continues to be that some are just happy to complain. I'd rather fight back. I'm not going to just let the 'have' teams go ahead and draft these kids late, I'm going to fight back and draft them first. If the come, great, if not, at least you force the 'have' teams hands. Your not simply allowing them to do what they want