HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are you most excited about seeing this coming season?

Old
08-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
What are you most excited about seeing this coming season?

I know most of you are in the same boat as me....dying for anything hockey related to happen. Not much news happening right now but with the preseason and camps quickly approaching next month, what are some of things that you are excited about this season?

For example, I cannot wait to see how Mason plays...It would be awesome if he came in and just completely won the starting goalie gig.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:47 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
The progression of the young players will be key to see if this team has a core in place that could compete for the cup in the future.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
paradoxium

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The progression of the young players will be key to see if this team has a core in place that could compete for the cup in the future.
This.

Hopefully Couturier and Schenn progress this season. It's important if this team wants to compete in the long run.

paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxium View Post
This.

Hopefully Couturier and Schenn progress this season. It's important if this team wants to compete in the long run.
I really want to see Schenn start showing more as well, when we got him he was concenscious best player not in the nhl...I'd like to see him start moving towards superstar status. I know he's still young but hoping he in particular lives up to the hype soon.

Couturier needs a bounce back year for sure

Old
08-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

I'm looking forward to Couturier and B Schenn taking the next big steps in their careers.

I also think the Flyers will have good chemistry as a team and could carry Lavi through the regular season into the playoffs but I still think that even if Lavi survives the whole regular season and isn't canned by Christmas as some of us are predicting....I'm still not so sure he'll have success in the playoffs with his system against tighter checking if it's the same ole same ole from him.

He's got a better roster to implement his system this season (provided there are no major injuries) but I'm still not sold on him and would have liked the Flyers to have canned him this past offseason since there were some good coaching candidates looking for work but they couldn't since Holmgren was at fault too.

As far as the goalies..not holding my breath but hoping one of them at least takes the bull by the horns and performs as a legit starting goalie that can win games on his own if need be...

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:57 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Our first shutout or a FULL 60 mins played.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Our first shutout or a FULL 60 mins played.
Yes..I want to see much more consistency this year. I do not want to hear the "we have to play 60 mins" lamentations or at least not as often. The season has its ebbs and flows but the slow starts to the season or in games for that matter has to be limited ..otherwise Lavi is definitely gone.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Our first shutout
Yeah, would love to see a shutout. How many have we had compared to the rest of the leage over the past two years?

Old
08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Yeah, would love to see a shutout. How many have we had compared to the rest of the leage over the past two years?
Since 09-10 we've had 10 from my count.... Span of 294 games... unless my mathz are bad.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

I am excited about either Schenn or Couts having a breakout year. If that happens, this team gets a lot stronger quickly.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:32 AM
RJ8812*

I'm looking forward to not seeing Bryzgalov with this team

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'm looking forward to not seeing Bryzgalov with this team
Yeah I'm glad the Flyers cancelled that soap opera...

Old
08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Flyerfan4life

another season leading to a stanley cup push..

just plain flat out love Flyers hockey..

im READY.

oh if i had to add a most concerned: its def. Lavis inability to adjust/change on the fly.

im bracing for him to implode and be gone by Xmas, but i really dont want that scenario to happen.

Last edited by Flyerfan4life: 08-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 172
Besides everything, I'm gonna say the newcomers: Lecavalier, Streit, and Emery.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:32 PM
RJ8812*

I'm not really excited about Streit because I think he'll be the scapegoat this season when we find out he isnt worth his contract

I hope i'm wrong though

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I'm most excited to see what Jake will do this year.

I'm most concerned about goaltending; I'm as concerned as I was the first time the Flyers signed Emery. I have no confidence in Mason and I hope he porves me wrong.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 08-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:04 PM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Besides everything, I'm gonna say the newcomers: Lecavalier, Streit, and Emery.
Def Lecavalier for me!

Bravo Homer!

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Stizzle

Call me crazy, but I think this team should be really good (If Mason plays well). Overall I'm pretty excited about every guy on the team, except Rosehill and Gervais.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
another season leading to a stanley cup push..

just plain flat out love Flyers hockey..

im READY.

oh if i had to add a most concerned: its def. Lavis inability to adjust/change on the fly.

im bracing for him to implode and be gone by Xmas, but i really dont want that scenario to happen.
Lavi is the 2nd winningest US coach of all time I believe, he has a cup championship, a cup trip.

The INABILITY to adjust/change seems to be a complete misnomer, because if he did, I don't think he'd have a job as long as he has in his career.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Lavi is the 2nd winningest US coach of all time I believe, he has a cup championship, a cup trip.

The INABILITY to adjust/change seems to be a complete misnomer, because if he did, I don't think he'd have a job as long as he has in his career.
Lavi is a good coach and his system when totally bought into is fun to play as a player and fun to watch as a fan..particularly in the regular season. However, his recent history since the cup victory and cup appearance..the latter which happened by the skin of his teeth and thanks to Montreal has not exactly been steller. He got totally schooled by Boston the year they won the cup and schooled by the Devils after barely getting through Buffalo which he almost botched as well with his goaltending decisions. Moreover, his teams have still not done too well against tight checking teams in the regular season or playoffs in general. Finally, there is a reason he is known as a short shelf life coach..ask Brind'amour who basically ran him out of Carolina despite the Cup accomplishment they shared together....

Old
08-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
seeing our new toys

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:49 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
A full season of hockey! But really just seeing what the lineup looks like opening day. Surprises making the lineup, surprises not making the lineup. Crap like that. Where will Mez wind up (press box? traded? starting?)? Is Laughton going to move to wing? If not, who is going to play third line wing? LET'S DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Lavi is a good coach and his system when totally bought into is fun to play as a player and fun to watch as a fan..particularly in the regular season. However, his recent history since the cup victory and cup appearance..the latter which happened by the skin of his teeth and thanks to Montreal has not exactly been steller. He got totally schooled by Boston the year they won the cup and schooled by the Devils after barely getting through Buffalo which he almost botched as well with his goaltending decisions. Moreover, his teams have still not done too well against tight checking teams in the regular season or playoffs in general. Finally, there is a reason he is known as a short shelf life coach..ask Brind'amour who basically ran him out of Carolina despite the Cup accomplishment they shared together....
I agree with everything you said. I don't think he's perfect, but I think he's better than a lot out there.

However, I counter with this, you said he got schooled by Boston (who won the cup) and by NJ (who went to the cup, 2 games away from winning and might have won if LA wasn't such a buzz-saw). Those teams were the best. Its not like he lost against the Islanders first time in the POs while the Flyers were the #1 seed. The Bruins & Devils those years were machines.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Hiesenberg

To answer the question, I'm just excited for the overall product. First time getting season tickets, I'm going to at least 5 games (I split them up) and will probably add a couple of more during the season. I think this is going to be a good team. I like what Holmgren did (and didn't do)

Old
08-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I agree with everything you said. I don't think he's perfect, but I think he's better than a lot out there.

However, I counter with this, you said he got schooled by Boston (who won the cup) and by NJ (who went to the cup, 2 games away from winning and might have won if LA wasn't such a buzz-saw). Those teams were the best. Its not like he lost against the Islanders first time in the POs while the Flyers were the #1 seed. The Bruins & Devils those years were machines.
Yeah they were machines but seriously he was stubborn with his decisions..he refused to adjust. He had no answers in many respects. Also as I noted against Buffalo he wasn't exactly great either. Almost got ousted in the 1st round before even running into the Devils which the team admitted they were not prepared for...