HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: NHL Gamecenter thoughts?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
  #1
Repoman
Registered User
 
Repoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,452
vCash: 500
OT: NHL Gamecenter thoughts?

I know there is a thread on the main boards but I am looking for more of a local opinion. I really want to ditch my cable TV but i need my hockey.

If you guys have used this service how has it performed? Is it close to HD quality? I realize I will need to get a proxy or vpn in order to get the Jet's games but that should not be an issue. If it works well, what type of Internet service do you have? I am assuming I will have to bump up my internet package to get optimal quality but I can easily pay $20 more for internet if I am axing my $80+ TV bill. A bit worried about playoffs as well since they don't seem to broadcast those but I guess I can figure something out for them.

Any other options I should look at?

Thanks.

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:15 PM
  #2
Howard Chuck
Registered User
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
I know there is a thread on the main boards but I am looking for more of a local opinion. I really want to ditch my cable TV but i need my hockey.

If you guys have used this service how has it performed? Is it close to HD quality? I realize I will need to get a proxy or vpn in order to get the Jet's games but that should not be an issue. If it works well, what type of Internet service do you have? I am assuming I will have to bump up my internet package to get optimal quality but I can easily pay $20 more for internet if I am axing my $80+ TV bill. A bit worried about playoffs as well since they don't seem to broadcast those but I guess I can figure something out for them.

Any other options I should look at?

Thanks.
I am interested in hearing options as well, since Jets games are pretty much all I watch on tv. I don't think I could get by with less than HD anymore though. I'm pretty spoiled now

Howard Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  #3
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,005
vCash: 50
Awards:
Subscribed to it last season, only complaint I had was that the PS3 Gamecentre App seemed to give me really crappy feeds that would always buffer and pixelate. Not exactly sure why that was, but I had no problems on the other devices I ran it on (laptop, iPhone, PlayBook).

And yes, it's all in crisp 720p.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:52 PM
  #4
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds
 
StronGeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Down by the bay
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Subscribed to it last season, only complaint I had was that the PS3 Gamecentre App seemed to give me really crappy feeds that would always buffer and pixelate. Not exactly sure why that was, but I had no problems on the other devices I ran it on (laptop, iPhone, PlayBook).

And yes, it's all in crisp 720p.
I had similar experience with the Xbox 360 app, but phone and laptop connection is beautiful.

Also nice to have it on your phone in case you need to leave the room for some reason, no need to miss the action.

EDIT: And yes, it's definitely the app that doesn't do a good job. The Xbox is wired to my router while everything else is wireless, and the wireless devices all perform better.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:17 PM
  #5
Repoman
Registered User
 
Repoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,452
vCash: 500
Good to hear. I would most likely be hooking up my laptop to the TV so that should be good.
What kind of internet services were you guys using? Seems like I am limited to the basic MTS service in my building 7Mbps down but I can get any of the shaw offerings. Currently have the 10Mbps service.

Any specific VPN service you are using like unblockus? What about the Hola Unblocker for Chrome? It works great for Netflix etc.

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:46 PM
  #6
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds
 
StronGeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Down by the bay
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Good to hear. I would most likely be hooking up my laptop to the TV so that should be good.
What kind of internet services were you guys using? Seems like I am limited to the basic MTS service in my building 7Mbps down but I can get any of the shaw offerings. Currently have the 10Mbps service.

Any specific VPN service you are using like unblockus? What about the Hola Unblocker for Chrome? It works great for Netflix etc.
I have 8Mbps Telus i believe.

Since I'm in Edmonton, it is only ever blocked for me for HNIC games, which I just stream from cbc.ca. Unblockus should also work if you require.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
  #7
jetkarma*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wpg/Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
I am moving to Vancouver Island and a main concern will be to watch the Jets on tv somehow.

Is Center Ice the best option? Too bad the Jet channel is not available throughout Canada , but as long as there is an option that will work is the important factor.

jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 02:08 PM
  #8
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,005
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
I am moving to Vancouver Island and a main concern will be to watch the Jets on tv somehow.

Is Center Ice the best option? Too bad the Jet channel is not available throughout Canada , but as long as there is an option that will work is the important factor.
I like having GC for watching games around the league. I wouldn't rely on it for Jets games, just for fear of my connection or their servers taking a **** in the middle of a game.

If I were in your shoes, I would be going with Centre Ice for that purpose.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:03 PM
  #9
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow
 
Mathmew Purrrr Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: meow
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Subscribed to it last season, only complaint I had was that the PS3 Gamecentre App seemed to give me really crappy feeds that would always buffer and pixelate. Not exactly sure why that was, but I had no problems on the other devices I ran it on (laptop, iPhone, PlayBook).

And yes, it's all in crisp 720p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
I had similar experience with the Xbox 360 app, but phone and laptop connection is beautiful.

Also nice to have it on your phone in case you need to leave the room for some reason, no need to miss the action.

EDIT: And yes, it's definitely the app that doesn't do a good job. The Xbox is wired to my router while everything else is wireless, and the wireless devices all perform better.
this is my number one concern - if I got it I would want to use my 360/PS3 to stream as my comp is hinky and can't handle it; plus, It's an easy workaround using diff DNS to avoid blackouts (which is what I do with my MLB.TV)

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
  #10
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds
 
StronGeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Down by the bay
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
this is my number one concern - if I got it I would want to use my 360/PS3 to stream as my comp is hinky and can't handle it; plus, It's an easy workaround using diff DNS to avoid blackouts (which is what I do with my MLB.TV)
I do DNS settings on my xbox too. Sometimes it stops working (I think maybe they figure out which ones people are using and block them) but there's always new settings that work.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:11 PM
  #11
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow
 
Mathmew Purrrr Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: meow
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
I do DNS settings on my xbox too. Sometimes it stops working (I think maybe they figure out which ones people are using and block them) but there's always new settings that work.
they must be more proactive then because I've gotten away the same ones for 2 yrs for mlb.tv and netflix

edit: I guess this means it's discovered on the app side as opposed to XBL side?

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  #12
jetkarma*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wpg/Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I like having GC for watching games around the league. I wouldn't rely on it for Jets games, just for fear of my connection or their servers taking a **** in the middle of a game.

If I were in your shoes, I would be going with Centre Ice for that purpose.
Thanks , that is my thought as well. Primary concern is being able to watch a good feed any/every time I want.

jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  #13
EvilCoop
How's Annie?
 
EvilCoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Black Lodge
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 455
I tried Gamecenter for a year, it didn't work great with my connection so I cancelled it. I'm going back to Center Ice this season.

EvilCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:27 PM
  #14
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
I know this is a First world problem But my main issue was that there was a 5 second Lag and Jets score your Phone starts blowin up lol Gets annoying

Best case is to find someone with Bell and split the bill thats the best way.

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:43 PM
  #15
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,332
vCash: 279
I'm still thinking of getting an MTS bundle that covers my internet, cell phone, and cable (+TSN Jets). It will probably be cheaper than Westman Communications internet and cable + Rogers cell phone. The only problem is I would have to buy out the rest of my contract and get them to release my phone number.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 06:01 PM
  #16
Tarks
True North
 
Tarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 50
I've had GC for 2 years and I won't be renewing this year. GC has internal problems all the time to the point where you can't even log in to the site. Very frustrating.

As others have already stated, GC sucks via PS3. Very choppy and hard to follow the puck IMO.

GC is pretty good when watching it on a laptop or ipad/iphone if you can handle watching games on a small screen. I'm done with that.

This year I'm getting Center Ice.

Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:01 PM
  #17
Andy6
Court Jetster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 500
I like it. It does tend to pixellate for a few seconds when you switch from another window on your PC. I put it on my 60" tv using AppleTV and it is about 90% as good as a regular HD feed in my opinion. Plus it's fun to switch between the home and away broadcasts sometimes. With the Jets, you don't get anything but the play ... no between periods and it cuts out as soon as the final buzzer sounds. With some other teams you do get the between periods shows. It looks fantastic on the iPad -- great if you're travelling.

It's true that there's often a lag so you have to turn off the "scoreboard" along the top of the screen (on the computer version) or else you'll know if someone is about to score.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:06 PM
  #18
Ramsalot
Rergisterd Uhrser
 
Ramsalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Torpronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 237
vCash: 97
I use GameCenter in chrome and on android, works great as far as I'm concerned. I've never had problems and the quality is really nice. TSN blocks their commercials and intermissions from game center for some reason, and obviously there's no pre/post game. I miss getting to watch those, pretty much every other network's analysts I just do not like at all but watching them beats looking at a "the game will resume after intermission" graphic.

For playoffs, CBC puts all their streams online for all canadian IPs, and the quality is actually pretty decent.

I use Private Internet Access for VPN, used it for a bit before I left the Peg, worked fine there.

Ramsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
  #19
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,120
vCash: 4937
NHL Gamecenter Live is "out of market games" only. As a former Winnipeger in Toronto, that suits me fine. It would not work for a Winnipeg fan in Sask/Man/NW-Ont.

I've had NHL Gamecenter Live the past 2 seasons, i.e. since the Jets returned. The internet stream is available at 4 speeds, namely 400/800/1600/3000 kbps. My old (fall of 2007) Dell Core Duo with an onboard Intel video chip could barely handle 400 kbps. A newer Intel i3 with onboard Intel video handles the 3000 kbps stream without a problem.. The software requirements are a browser and Shockwave Flash. I run linux at home, and it works fine, even though it's not officially listed as being supported.

I ran with 6 mbits ADSL the past couple of years, and it kept up easily. This spring, there was a weird scenario where 7 mbits ADSL (FTTN) ended up costing LESS than 6 mbits (POTS), so I said why not. Cable users occasionally report congestion slowing them down on Youtube to the point that even a 30 mbit cable connection has problems, while a 6 or 7 mbit ADSL connection works OK.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:40 PM
  #20
drumzan
#NHLJets
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
I got Center Ice last year because I also follow the Sharks. I'd never get it again. I "thought" I'd get all non-Jets games, but quite often games either weren't televised or had regional blackouts. Yes...games against Flames, Oilers, Wild were often blacked out. Bush league...

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:46 PM
  #21
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I got Center Ice last year because I also follow the Sharks. I'd never get it again. I "thought" I'd get all non-Jets games, but quite often games either weren't televised or had regional blackouts. Yes...games against Flames, Oilers, Wild were often blacked out. Bush league...
Uhhhh no. I had Centre Ice for the past two seasons. Only time it's not on centre ice is when it's on CBC or TSN. All Canadian team games are broadcasted on centre ice because every Canadian teams games are on TV. And because of the lockout there were a lot of US teams that didn't have every game broadcasted or it was on TSN.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 10:02 AM
  #22
EvilCoop
How's Annie?
 
EvilCoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Black Lodge
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsnHawks View Post
Uhhhh no. I had Centre Ice for the past two seasons. Only time it's not on centre ice is when it's on CBC or TSN. All Canadian team games are broadcasted on centre ice because every Canadian teams games are on TV. And because of the lockout there were a lot of US teams that didn't have every game broadcasted or it was on TSN.
In the states, you don't get TSN games, so I have to watch the non-Jets broadcast. That sucks, but it's still better than Gamecenter. I should check to see if TSN 1290 has a delay on it compared with the Center Ice (It probably does but I'll try anyway) to see if I can listen to the Jets radio while watching the opposing team's broadcast.

EvilCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
  #23
Trigger15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
I'm in Calgary and had Centre Ice last year with Telus. They were/are having some issue with Bell so they couldn't use the TSN Jets feed, I'd only get the opponents team feed and often not even in HD. There were also a couple games that they didn't even show. Total rip off. Ended up getting GC as well so I could watch the TSN Jets feed but as mentioned no intermissions and sometimes lag was an issue. I had it running through my Apple TV and usually was good quality (720p).

Trigger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 10:37 AM
  #24
drumzan
#NHLJets
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsnHawks View Post
Uhhhh no. I had Centre Ice for the past two seasons. Only time it's not on centre ice is when it's on CBC or TSN. All Canadian team games are broadcasted on centre ice because every Canadian teams games are on TV. And because of the lockout there were a lot of US teams that didn't have every game broadcasted or it was on TSN.
Many games were blacked out because they were in the "region". I'm not making that up. It's a total rip off.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 12:56 PM
  #25
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Many games were blacked out because they were in the "region". I'm not making that up. It's a total rip off.
I don't remember that at all. I got to watch every Pens and Canucks game last year. Same with the Habs. I know that people in Vancouver weren't able to watch a couple Habs and Jets games because TSN local broadcasts aren't available on Centre Ice at all and it was TSN Jets and TSN Habs both broadcasting the game.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.