HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Blackhawks sign Teuvo Teravainen

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
EbonyRaptor

vCash: 500
Cool. Happy TT is locked in for at least 3 years.

TT might end up being a winger, which would be just fine, especially if Saad ends up being a good center - Saad the winger plays center and TT the center plays winger. Works for me.

On a related note, I noticed Maxim Shalunov will attend rookie camp next month. Hopefully his talent comes through and he stays in N.A. this year. I remember that TT and Shalunov were linemates in rookie camp last year and played pretty well together. How about a future line of Shalunov-Saad-Teravainen.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Awesome news. Like others, I would guess he will play one more year in Finland. It's great that he's locked in though
Quote:
Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has hyped Teravainen as an impact player whenever he gets to the NHL. "We're really looking forward to having him in a Blackhawks uniform at some point because he's a special player," Bowman said at the Blackhawks prospect camp in July. "I think he's going to electrify fans for a long time." Bowman and Teravainen recently said they plan for Teravainen to play one more season in Finland before he makes a permanent move to the United States. Teravainen is expected to participate in the Blackhawks training camp in September.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story...uvo-teravainen

You're correct. I think he's going to be as good as you guys do.

08-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentti View Post
Yep, he was. He hasn't been stellar as a Center in the last two games, maybe he should play as a winger for awhile.
Jokerit don't have enough centers right now.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Jokerit don't have enough centers right now.
Joker it sound like a Finnish version of the Hawks with the C shortage.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's great news. Can't wait to see him play for the Hawks

Old
08-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Finnpin

I'm sure Jokerit will try to play him in center as much as possible as they need him in that position. Jokerit homepage says he will stay in Finland this year and IMO no need for him to try AHL now.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Tbh, I wasnt sold on the Hawks drafting a FIN on draft day considering the past history for players other than goalies but Teravainens showing so far has been outstanding.

From his showing at rookie camp, his game looks identical to Kanes. Very elusive skater which is good for transitioning to the NHL b/c his smaller size wont be that much of an issue. Sets up on the half boards and makes plays.

While Jokerit needs TT at center, I dont think he has enough upper body strength for play over here and will probably get hammered at the dot. Dont know how effective he'll be if he stays at center but he definitely can play wing right now.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Kentti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
So two games and it's evident he needs to switch? He should get somewhat of a chance to adjust, no?
Of course adjustment is needed but so far TT hasn't been impressive as C 5 on 5. On PP he has been good. TT's Jokerit plays tomorrow against Swiss team ZSC Lions in a European Trophy game. The game starts 5 AM Central Time. We'll see more after that game.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Kentti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
While Jokerit needs TT at center, I dont think he has enough upper body strength for play over here and will probably get hammered at the dot. Dont know how effective he'll be if he stays at center but he definitely can play wing right now.
He has been struggling in faceoffs against guys 5-15 years older (and bigger) than him (only two games though). He's listed as 180 cm (5' 11") and 78 kg (172 lbs) so he's getting there. Some maturing and time in the weight room and I believe he'll be able to handle himself at the dot. This year will tell a lot how he develops.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentti View Post
He has been struggling in faceoffs against guys 5-15 years older (and bigger) than him (only two games though). He's listed as 180 cm (5' 11") and 78 kg (172 lbs) so he's getting there. Some maturing and time in the weight room and I believe he'll be able to handle himself at the dot. This year will tell a lot how he develops.
I think he might be over 80 kilos already.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:11 AM
wladyslaw

I went to the Jokerit website last week to buy TT jersey. The translations were not that great. Are any of you Fins/Swedes familiar with their Website/store regarding purchasing and receiving goods in U.S.? Or am I sol? How long should it take to ship to U.S.?

TT is a lot like Kane/Hossa in his vision and Offensive IQ- if he can dodge checks like Kane- he could play in NHL right now. But wing could be much better for him unless they put 2 responsible forwards on his wings (81/20).

Old
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Glad they got this done nice and early. I have not been this excited about a prospect since Kane.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:08 PM
hawksfan50

HE can't be just another Kane...we cannot win with 2 of the exact same type. ..he will need to be better than Kane defensively and or a better sniper of goals. ..two set up first smallish skill guys who are not great defensively is never going to be the right mix for our top six...besides there is only one puck and limited featured minutes to go around..no either he solves a centre role or is more SHOT sniper than Kane. ..or if not one will need to be moved...because if Tt is only another Kane then we fo mot nred 2 Kanes...rather hope Buffalo gets the lotto pick on McDavid. .then we psckage Kane and other talent for that pick which foes solve the 2C problem brilliantly. I suggrst that McDavid + 1 Kane is bstter than 2 kanes instead..so unlrss Tt is not Kane and is something else like a 2 way Hossa or a 2C solution..then this tem will not be big enough for notj hom and Kane...one will have to go..it is a matter offilling different nreds not making a redundantcy causing problems of ice feature time or over thinking the set-ups...complimentaritu not redindancy.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:24 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
HE can't be just another Kane...we cannot win with 2 of the exact same type. ..he will need to be better than Kane defensively and or a better sniper of goals. ..two set up first smallish skill guys who are not great defensively is never going to be the right mix for our top six...besides there is only one puck and limited featured minutes to go around..no either he solves a centre role or is more SHOT sniper than Kane. ..or if not one will need to be moved...because if Tt is only another Kane then we fo mot nred 2 Kanes...rather hope Buffalo gets the lotto pick on McDavid. .then we psckage Kane and other talent for that pick which foes solve the 2C problem brilliantly. I suggrst that McDavid + 1 Kane is bstter than 2 kanes instead..so unlrss Tt is not Kane and is something else like a 2 way Hossa or a 2C solution..then this tem will not be big enough for notj hom and Kane...one will have to go..it is a matter offilling different nreds not making a redundantcy causing problems of ice feature time or over thinking the set-ups...complimentaritu not redindancy.
you're just trying to turn this into a 'trade kane' thread.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Oh God, the "we can't win with...." posts are starting again....

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
08-23-2013, 03:55 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

According to capgeek, his contract is $925k with no bonuses. I'm really surprised that they didn't give him any access to bonuses at all...usually the first round picks do...Danault and McNeill did. I wonder what's up with that.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:43 PM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
He can be just like Kane and Hawks will be fine. But I agree it would or could limit the lines they can throw out there. 29-19-88, 86-20-81, or 20-65-86 would also work. I do agree- like Kane, you might have to surround TT with Defensively responsible forwards. But the Hawks do have that luxury, not to mention one of the fastest/best defensive groups 1-6.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Oh God, the "we can't win with...." posts are starting again....
I don't consider fiddy's ranblings as actual and real posts. They exist only in the metaphysical existence that is the world of fiddy and should be treated as such.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I don't consider fiddy's ranblings as actual and real posts. They exist only in the metaphysical existence that is the world of fiddy and should be treated as such.
As the old adage goes - "no one is useless, they can always serve as a bad example", and in this case fiddy is serving as an example of how not using spellcheck detracts from the point being made. I spent more time trying to decypher "then we fo mot nred 2 Kanes" than actually considering whatever point fiddy's Kane screed was trying to make.

I don't know - maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm pretty sure that I will be jumping for joy if TT is a Kane clone.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-away-from-nhl

Quote:
"He can play in the NHL right now," said Teravainen's agent and Acme World Sports president Markus Lehto in a phone interview from Finland on Friday. "He's not quite ready to play 82 games as a top-6 forward. That's something else for a 19-year-old that's not 200 pounds. Teuvo understands that."

Lehto said Teravainen, who will turn 19 on Sept. 19, will spend this season with Jokerit in Finland's SM-liiga and could join the Blackhawks as early as the end of Jokerit's season. He had 13 goals and 18 assists in 44 regular-season games for Jokerit last season.

Lehto wouldn't go into financial details about Teravainen's contract, but he said the contract included bonuses and was designed for the Blackhawks to not take a significant salary cap hit. Unless Teravainen appears in 10 regular-season games this season, his contract will slide and he won't become a restricted free agent until after the 2016-17 season.
I'm not sure how SM-Liiga works, but I'm wondering if we might see a cameo at the end of the year a la Kruger a few years ago.

Old
08-23-2013, 06:25 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Jokerit jumped ship to the KHL starting this upcoming season which will make it even more interesting to see how TT does.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Jokerit jumped ship to the KHL starting this upcoming season which will make it even more interesting to see how TT does.
No, Jokerit will play in sm-liiga in 2013/14. They move to the KHL in 2014/15.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
No, Jokerit will play in sm-liiga in 2013/14. They move to the KHL in 2014/15.
Thought it was this upcoming season. Tks.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-away-from-nhl

I'm not sure how SM-Liiga works, but I'm wondering if we might see a cameo at the end of the year a la Kruger a few years ago.
The date for a potential Game 7 in Lüga finals is April 26th, so if Jokerit make it into the finals, the NHL playoffs are well underway by then

Old
08-24-2013, 03:45 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
According to capgeek, his contract is $925k with no bonuses. I'm really surprised that they didn't give him any access to bonuses at all...usually the first round picks do...Danault and McNeill did. I wonder what's up with that.
They are propably afraid he will actually hit some of those bonuses.

http://europeantrophy.com/live.php?id=261

Game on. Teravainen on the second line. 10 minutes in and he has tipped one wide and one great setup for a team mate (Tyrväinen) but as usual, you need a whole lot of great set ups for finnish to finish. That's why there's so many great finnish play makers.

Last edited by Hagged: 08-24-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Closed Thread