HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bossy vs Sakic

View Poll Results: Who ranks higher on your all time list?
Mike Bossy 97 57.06%
Joe Sakic 73 42.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2013, 07:32 AM
  #76
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
There's lots of records and milestones over the years that are due mainly to circumstance and random cutoffs.
So you're going to use that excuse against Bossy..... but his circumstances (back injury) doesn't count? Give me a break


Quote:
I might as well ask you why Bossy couldn't hit 70 goals despite playing in the 80s. Surely such a great goalscorer could hit it, right? Gretzky did it four times. Lemieux did it twice. Hell, Selanne, Mogilny and Hull did it in the 90s! Bernie freaking Nicholls did it even! "Oh, but Bossy scored 69 goals one year and 68 another," you say, "Those are close enough." Well no, because arbitrary round number cutoffs are the be-all-and-end-all when it comes to judging players. Too bad.
Again, other than Mario and Wayne.... those other guys were so great they scored 70 goals..... but are still not in the same stratosphere as Mike Bossy. You said it yourself, Mario and Wayne were the only two during that era that comes close.

So.... AGAIN, if it was so easy in that era. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ELSE DO IT? Keep ducking the question though, and using the era as an excuse.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:35 AM
  #77
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Absolutely, if your organization had the choice who would they take? Was Bossy ever the best player in the world at any certain time?

Sakic was, he dominated in every aspect. Olympic MVP Conn Smythe Hart all in a short span. Brilliant player no weakness to his game.
Was Sakic ever better than prime Gretzky? Yeah.... because that's why Bossy was never the best in the world. I'd argue that Sakic wasn't even better than prime Trottier.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:21 AM
  #78
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Was Sakic ever better than prime Gretzky? Yeah.... because that's why Bossy was never the best in the world. I'd argue that Sakic wasn't even better than prime Trottier.
Well, Trottier was a better player than bossy so it wouldn't be too hard to do.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:42 AM
  #79
JFG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 500
Sakic. Not AINEC but clearly.

JFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
  #80
Regal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Again, other than Mario and Wayne.... those other guys were so great they scored 70 goals..... but are still not in the same stratosphere as Mike Bossy. You said it yourself, Mario and Wayne were the only two during that era that comes close.

So.... AGAIN, if it was so easy in that era. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ELSE DO IT? Keep ducking the question though, and using the era as an excuse.
Sigh. I did answer, you're just not getting it. Or the sarcasm of that last paragraph either it seems.

When did I ever say it was easy? My*comment was that it leads to Bossy being overrated at times, because some people see 50 goals as a magic milestone, and forget the context of the era he played in. Why did no one else do it? Because it wasn't easy and Bossy is one of the best goalscorers ever. Something I mentioned before. But one record shouldn't define a player, and pointing to a record as proof that one player is better than another is sloppy and lazy analysis.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:23 AM
  #81
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Was Sakic ever better than prime Gretzky? Yeah.... because that's why Bossy was never the best in the world. I'd argue that Sakic wasn't even better than prime Trottier.
Well he was, so you answered your own question. Sakic is better than Bossy.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
  #82
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Well he was, so you answered your own question. Sakic is better than Bossy.
Sakic was better than prime Gretzky now? I see

Peace

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.