HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players who should have their number retired ... but haven't

Old
08-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Oilersfan2487

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Hasek for the Sabres. By far their best player ever and the only reason they got to the Stanley Cup final in 1999.
His number should be retired and there is no reason to wait but he was not the greatest player in the franchise's history! He may have been in your lifetime but not the franchise's history

Oilersfan2487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Oilersfan2487

I would like to see Chris Chelios' number retired, either in Chicago (where I think it should start) or Detroit, red kelly to fix that wrong, Detroit, guy lapointe in Montreal ( 2 of the big three were retired, he should be as well), toe blake should be added ...either his hat as a coach, or his number as a player, I am ok either way....kevin lowe! 6 Stanley cups says retire the jersey, 5 with the same team, I think it should be retired, joey mullen in Calgary, al McInnis in Calgary, dominic hasek in buffalo, don marcotte in boston, Bernie nicholls in la, steve larmer in Chicago, mark howe in philly, claude Lemieux in either new jersey or Colorado, bobby carpenter washington

Oilersfan2487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:14 PM
byrone

Detroit Red Wings should really retire the number for Larry Aurie.

byrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
BadgerBruce

I would love to see the Senators reach into the Silver Seven past and honour "One Eyed" Frank McGee, a turn of the century star whose story both on and off the ice is compelling. To me, he is most worthy.

Unfortunately, the Sens seem unwilling to reach into the rich Silver Seven past, and I believe only Frank Finnigan from the 1920s has been honoured with an official jersey retirement. One could mount a strong argument that the Senators' ambivalence to the City of Ottawa's connection to the game's early years is a disservice to fans. Not even James Creighton gets so much as a nod.

BadgerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:35 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2487 View Post
His number should be retired and there is no reason to wait but he was not the greatest player in the franchise's history! He may have been in your lifetime but not the franchise's history
Best player not named Gilbert Perreault.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:01 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I want to see the Sens retire some of the numbers of the players from the original Sens. Or maybe co-retire when a modern number is (ie if Phillip's #4 is retired, then retire it under Phillips, Alex Smith, and Punch Broadbent)
The problem is that the original Ottawa Senators are a completely different franchise from the current one. The original Sens moved to St. Louis in 1934 and folded shortly thereafter. What you're proposing is akin to the Saskatchewan Rough Riders wanting to retire jersey numbers from guys playing on the Ottawa Rough Riders.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:41 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
The problem is that the original Ottawa Senators are a completely different franchise from the current one. The original Sens moved to St. Louis in 1934 and folded shortly thereafter. What you're proposing is akin to the Saskatchewan Rough Riders wanting to retire jersey numbers from guys playing on the Ottawa Rough Riders.
The franchise has up the old Stanley Cup banners.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:47 AM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

I'm not sure, but should Rob Blake's #4 be retired in Colorado? He was here for 5 years, and was a huge part of our push for the Cup in '01, and then was a big part of our team for the next 4 years.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil View Post
I'm not sure, but should Rob Blake's #4 be retired in Colorado? He was here for 5 years, and was a huge part of our push for the Cup in '01, and then was a big part of our team for the next 4 years.
growing up in southern california in the 90s, it was very, very odd seeing blake in an avs sweater and even more weird seeing him in a sharks sweater

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:35 AM
mrhockey193195

Cook, Park, and Ratelle in NY.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Eric Lindros hands down.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 12:05 AM
DJ Man

I'd like to retire all the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and go back to a more reasonable spectrum of uniform numbers!

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:12 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The franchise has up the old Stanley Cup banners.
I don't want to derail this thread but that's irrelevant. They're not the same franchises, regardless of how many people with inferiority complexes in the Ottawa region believe otherwise.

Maybe the Colorado Avalanche should honour jerseys from the Colorado Rockies.

edit: I'm not dismissing the original Senators' legacy but for the current Sens to claim any link to it is extremely disingenuous.

Last edited by cynicism: 08-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.
cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 12:32 PM
begbeee

The discussion about Bondra and HOF on 20+ pages is legitimate, but the fact his #12 is not retired by Capitals is shamful disrespect to his status. More or less he was the only true offensive (NHL calibre) star in Washington during dead puck era. He beat Gartner and set some franchise records, which will be Ovechkined..but still, he was the man for a good amount of time.

The same can be said about Kolzig.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
The discussion about Bondra and HOF on 20+ pages is legitimate, but the fact his #12 is not retired by Capitals is shamful disrespect to his status. More or less he was the only true offensive (NHL calibre) star in Washington during dead puck era. He beat Gartner and set some franchise records, which will be Ovechkined..but still, he was the man for a good amount of time.

The same can be said about Kolzig.
oh definitely. if gartner's up there, bondra and kolzig should feel slighted to have not yet joined him.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
I don't want to derail this thread but that's irrelevant. They're not the same franchises, regardless of how many people with inferiority complexes in the Ottawa region believe otherwise.

edit: I'm not dismissing the original Senators' legacy but for the current Sens to claim any link to it is extremely disingenuous.
you're thinking about this in a more black and white way than really is useful, i think. it's about the city's hockey history and what that means to the fanbase (which has NOT moved) not the real legal ties btw franchises.

when a team moves or folds, that history and what those players did in those cities is lost (goulet and stastny in quebec city, e.g.). so for the new winnipeg jets to, say, honour hawerchuk or bobby hull or nilsson and hedberg and sjostrom saves important history that threatened to eventually be forgotten due to a bunch of financial deals by a bunch of millionaires.

so i mean the question is what do you want to acknowledge as motivating the history you choose to memorialize: the real and meaningful bond between a city's fans and the players they cheered on, or real estate transactions and tax shelter shenanigans by the 1%?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:37 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:

Why not?

It's more legitimate then saying that the Coyotes are the Jets. How many people in Phoenix were Jets fans, and experienced the highs and the lows of the team? That history belongs to the people of Winnipeg.

I realize that due to the time difference you could ask the same thing of Ottawa and get not much. But at least people's parents and grandparents did and the Senators became part of the lore of Ottawa. That gives the current Sens all the legitimacy they need to celebrate the history of the original Sens

08-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Quote:
I'd like to hear a coherent argument for how a top-ten scoring forward through most of the 70s trumps six Vezinas and a couple of Harts.
What would a goaltender have to do for the Sabres to have contributed more than Perreault? And if you were the Sabres, would you have traded Hasek in his prime for Sundin, Francis or Modano (all comparable to Perreault as top-line but never Hart-contending centres with long careers)

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Terry Yake

i wonder why the caps haven't retired kolzig's #37 yet

the same goes for bondra, the guy was their best player in the 90's by far and led them to the finals. people forget how good he was

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I realize that due to the time difference you could ask the same thing of Ottawa and get not much. But at least people's parents and grandparents did and the Senators became part of the lore of Ottawa. That gives the current Sens all the legitimacy they need to celebrate the history of the original Sens
I agree entirely. The history of a cities pro hockey teams (any sport) is not an exportable commodity and thats just for starters. No one in New Jersey, Raleigh, Denver or Phoenix could care less about the Rockies, Whalers, Nordiques or Jets01version, but the people in those cities that lost their teams (though Denver & Winnipegs have since returned) most certainly do. Even if theres a gap of 5 decades or more I dont see any problem with a city re-connecting the threads & embracing their past, their pride of place, and Ottawa more so than most has much to be proud of. Literally the Cradle of Hockey through the late 19th & early 20th centuries. It should be embraced & remembered, honored & respected, founding members of the NHL.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I would like to see Chris Chelios' number retired, either in Chicago (where I think it should start) or Detroit, red kelly to fix that wrong, Detroit, guy lapointe in Montreal ( 2 of the big three were retired, he should be as well), toe blake should be added ...either his hat as a coach, or his number as a player, I am ok either way....kevin lowe! 6 Stanley cups says retire the jersey, 5 with the same team, I think it should be retired, joey mullen in Calgary, al McInnis in Calgary, dominic hasek in buffalo, don marcotte in boston, Bernie nicholls in la, steve larmer in Chicago, mark howe in philly, claude Lemieux in either new jersey or Colorado, bobby carpenter washington
Philly has retired Howe's number

08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Frank Brimsek should have had his number retired ages ago.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:51 AM
ColeJ

Sergei Zubov and Jere Lehtinen deserve to be right next to Mike Modano, Neal Broten, Bill Masterton, and Bill Goldsworthy in the American Airlines Center rafters.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:53 AM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Tell me this isn't consensus. Hasek has to be ranked higher than Gilbert all time, no?

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:00 AM
BadgerBruce

Appropriating someone else's history for one's own gain is usually rather odious, but the Senators' situation is really unique. Killion is correct in that the capital region truly is the cradle of the game, and for the current Sens to ignore this rich heritage because of corporate identity cconcerns (an "us and them" corporate divide) is a disservice to the community.

I've not been to the recently re-named Canadian Tire Centre. Is there anything inside or around the building which recognizes the Valley's historical connection to the game? Anything akin to, say, Buffalo's French Connection statue or Sabreland museum? Good sense tells me that there must be something other than a photo of helmetless Brad Marsh chugging along, but I'm not sure. Any evidence on display of the Rideau Rebels? Haligonian James Creighton's Ottawa years?

BadgerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote