HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
08-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
There's a special place in hell for people who take 10 minute shifts in drop-ins, refuses to pass and tries (in vain) to deke through everyone.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

The BENCH!!!!! Did I get it? But yeah. I hate selfish players like that

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
There's a special place in hell for people who take 10 minute shifts in drop-ins, refuses to pass and tries (in vain) to deke through everyone.
Those guys usually have the best stories about how they didn't make the show because of some random reason. They take out their frustrations on the less skilled but the real reason they didn't make it is told in the 10 minute shift-they're usually all about themselves.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Boy oh boy did I get away with a lot yesterday, refs were IDIOTS.

It was a playoff game, and i was playing defense, there was a scramble around the net and they ended up popping it in midway through the 3rd i was right in the crease area and as a desperate attempt i went flying into the net trying to block the shot behind the goalie and thus knocking the net off. Puck was CLEARLY in a full second before I even knocked the net off and the ref waved off the goal saying the net was off its pegs

Also in the last 3 minutes, a guy got around me and was trying to hit home a rebound and i slash downward on his stick with enough force that it snapped the stick, and didnt get a penalty

We won 8-7
Tisk tisk, but congrats!

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
TLow97

Playoff game tonight, really hoping "Gretzky" plays like he's on a team and not on a pond.

I mean, I don't care if you can deke through guys and can do it quickly and efficiently. But if you can't do it at a faster pace, then skate north/south. Part of me wants to put the guy on D to force him to make decisions with the puck, but he might just try to deke someone out in front of the goalie and lose the puck.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Danglous

We knock out our arch rivals last week despite the usual terrible corrupt refs. Championship game the fat **** from the team we just knocked out comes out wearing stripes. The GOON that was hacking our goalie in the face and throat the very last game shows up to ref the game and collect our money. I couldnt believe it. Thanks to him there were a bunch of blatantly terrible calls, non-calls, and a goal that didnt count for some reason. We lost in OT after another terrible call.

Never playing there again. I should have just beat the **** out of him but instead i squirted my water bottle in his fat face after the game

**** 'em.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglous View Post
We knock out our arch rivals last week despite the usual terrible corrupt refs. Championship game the fat **** from the team we just knocked out comes out wearing stripes. The GOON that was hacking our goalie in the face and throat the very last game shows up to ref the game and collect our money. I couldnt believe it. Thanks to him there were a bunch of blatantly terrible calls, non-calls, and a goal that didnt count for some reason. We lost in OT after another terrible call.

Never playing there again. I should have just beat the **** out of him but instead i squirted my water bottle in his fat face after the game

**** 'em.
wow talk about one disorganized league

i've never even heard of that

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:30 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Those guys usually have the best stories about how they didn't make the show because of some random reason. They take out their frustrations on the less skilled but the real reason they didn't make it is told in the 10 minute shift-they're usually all about themselves.
Definitely true. We refer to one of those as the 'KHL' guy around my local rink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
This occurred in a couple games over the summer.

Captaining a summer league team. Had to call in a sub goalie--had a bit of difficulty the first game we needed one but a guy came through.

This goalie did not come out for warm-ups. Subsequently let in 6 goals in the 1st, all softies. The cool thing was that we actually staged a comeback and won 7-6, but we ended up locking it down defensively and hardly allowed a clear shot.

Needed a goalie for a second game. Had to call the same guy because a different goalie bailed at the last minute. Again, didn't come out for warm-ups. Ended up losing this one, 6-3.

Argh... if you're not gonna do it for yourself, do it for the rest of us so we can get some live shots before gametime. I mean, it's more fun to play with a goalie than without one, but I've NEVER seen a goalie that adamant about NOT taking warm ups. Is it just me?
I always hated warmups, I'd usually just stand there and save a handful if I decided to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Ugh, what's worse, the people that take the game way too seriously, are playing well above their levels, and skate hard to back check the 40 year old that has only been skating for a year while they have a 6 goal lead with 2 minutes left?

Or the people on your team that don't skate and just ***** all the time, then leave early because their complete lack of any effort is the reason why we keep losing in the first place?

I'm getting really sick of this league. It seems like there's more people I can't stand playing with/against here than people that I like playing with/against.
I generally don't give anyone a free pass just because I'm up late in a game. I've seen some stupid comebacks before and I'm not about to be victimized.

If you're playing in that division, then it shouldn't matter how long you've been playing. Just look at it as a learning experience and keep trying to push yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Need a better chirp there.
I agree with that.

One of the guys on my team complains about other teams having people who also play in the divisions above us. The complaining annoys me more than playing the guys who are better than us (it's usually still pretty competitive).

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I agree with the complaining part. Or the guy who calls everyone decent a ringer.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Well my weekly shinny game is falling apart because the guy who runs it is a *********.

Cost of ice is going up, so he is charging more; which is perfectly fine, except for the fact that he is now looking for money up front (i.e. before he books the ice for a few months), but still wants to dictate who can play and on which teams.

All of which is theoretically fine. Except for the fact that this guy hurts turn out because of the way he plays (and responds to people who reciprocate his style to him). Nobody wants to be on his team because he is a "KHL type" player, so of course he thinks this means the teams are unfair. Worse though (cause I never had to play with him), we had been getting great turn outs (five a side plus 2-3 subs each) until one day when he didn't like the new guy who wasn't going to let him walk around him (this guy who runs it I am pretty sure fancies himself Eric Lindros), so he threw a ***** fit, demanded the guy leave the ice, 3-4 other players immediately left as well, and we have basically been playing 3-on-3 ever since.

Point is, im not investing $200 for shinny just so somebody else can pick and choose who gets to play.

I need to find a proper league for the winter anyway. This shinny game was just meant to get my hockey feet back under me.

Last edited by Pilky01: 08-23-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:58 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Well my weekly shinny game is falling apart because the guy who runs it is a *********.

Cost of ice is going up, so he is charging more; which is perfectly fine, except for the fact that he is now looking for money up front (i.e. before he books the ice for a few months), but still wants to dictate who can play and on which teams.

All of which is theoretically fine. Except for the fact that this guy hurts turn out because of the way he plays (and responds to people who reciprocate his style to him). Nobody wants to be on his team because he is a "KHL type" player, so of course he thinks this means the teams are unfair. Worse though (cause I never had to play with him), we had been getting great turn outs (five a side plus 2-3 subs each) until one day when he didn't like the new guy who wasn't going to let him walk around him (this guy who runs it I am pretty sure fancies himself Eric Lindros), so he threw a ***** fit, demanded the guy leave the ice, 3-4 other players immediately left as well, and we have basically been playing 3-on-3 ever since.

Point is, im not investing $200 for shinny just so somebody else can pick and choose who gets to play.

I need to find a proper league for the winter anyway. This shinny game was just meant to get my hockey feet back under me.
The guy sounds like an *******. Glad to read that three to four others left when he kicked the new guy out.

Are you in London? If you're in Toronto or close enough to play there, try the ASHL or the DMHL for a winter league spot. I think most teams would probably be set now but you can still find a spot if you contact the right people.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

If your in London and find a winter league want to share it cause I need to start looking for a winter league as well.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
If your in London and find a winter league want to share it cause I need to start looking for a winter league as well.
Im trying to see what the Western Fair District has going. Apparently alot of leagues operate out of there.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
drove an hour and a half to some ****** rink to play some b league, 10 mins before i get there my buddy calls me and says the games cancelled because the other team didnt show...

so pissed.. waste of 3 hours and gas just to have a **** league cancel a game, at least i got my skates sharpened i guess

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:51 PM
HiEverybody

Started playing ice a few months ago in a rookie league. People started complaining because I was faster than most skaters, so I got moved up to the Bronze league against my wishes. First game I line up against a guy who plays Junior hockey...in a Bronze league. Next game, similar story, but it's a player who also plays (and racks up points) in the Gold league at the SAME rink...

Ever since I joined this new league, I pretty much touch the puck once or twice a game, and the rest of the time I'm chasing around someone who way out-classes me. Apparently the rationale is "every team has a ringer, so it's OK." The other reason I hear a lot is "this rink doesn't have a Silver league, so the Silver level players sign up for Bronze instead of stepping up in Gold." Needless to say, this will be my first and last season at this rink....

HiEverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:05 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEverybody View Post
Started playing ice a few months ago in a rookie league. People started complaining because I was faster than most skaters, so I got moved up to the Bronze league against my wishes. First game I line up against a guy who plays Junior hockey...in a Bronze league. Next game, similar story, but it's a player who also plays (and racks up points) in the Gold league at the SAME rink...

Ever since I joined this new league, I pretty much touch the puck once or twice a game, and the rest of the time I'm chasing around someone who way out-classes me. Apparently the rationale is "every team has a ringer, so it's OK." The other reason I hear a lot is "this rink doesn't have a Silver league, so the Silver level players sign up for Bronze instead of stepping up in Gold." Needless to say, this will be my first and last season at this rink....
how does that rationale work when they forcefully moved you up?

i would just sign up for the lower league again haha. unless there is another rink in town.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 02:43 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEverybody View Post

you're not in/near Chicago by any chance are you?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:51 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
This really grinds my gears

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
The BENCH!!!!! Did I get it? But yeah. I hate selfish players like that
With hot glue on it.

Old
08-24-2013, 09:43 AM
The Saurus

Feeling frustrated?

Watch this video and it'll cheer you up.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglous View Post

**** 'em.
That's a strange setup there. I know locally here, anyone who referees or is a league official can't play for that very reason. Rink employees are allowed to, but most don't because of the possibility of a job/recreation conflict.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Played some goalie recently. We won 5-4. My team giving me ****. "Why can't you stop anything" Etc... meanwhile I'm usually facing a 3-1 or a 2 on 0 (The 2-0's aren't that hard to save but sometimes I really need to get innovative...) because the defensemen either A) Don't feel the need to get back, NHL13 esque style or B) The one guy holds onto it for too long and gets it swiped from his stick... Mind you I only let up 1 every period except the 2nd. But the fact that they basically play run and gun and don't backcheck/defend a whole lot grinds me the wrong way.

Old
08-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Played some goalie recently. We won 5-4. My team giving me ****. "Why can't you stop anything" Etc... meanwhile I'm usually facing a 3-1 or a 2 on 0 (The 2-0's aren't that hard to save but sometimes I really need to get innovative...) because the defensemen either A) Don't feel the need to get back, NHL13 esque style or B) The one guy holds onto it for too long and gets it swiped from his stick... Mind you I only let up 1 every period except the 2nd. But the fact that they basically play run and gun and don't backcheck/defend a whole lot grinds me the wrong way.
Walk off on them next time. Just skate off in the middle of a period and head straight to the change room.

If I'm a goalie I'd totally do it if my teammates were giving me **** (not to mention unmerited ****).

Old
08-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Walk off on them next time. Just skate off in the middle of a period and head straight to the change room.

If I'm a goalie I'd totally do it if my teammates were giving me **** (not to mention unmerited ****).
I would but after I gave the captain and the defensemen the business I won't be getting any more calls from them I don't think.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:19 PM
do0glas

Quote:
I would but after I gave the captain and the defensemen the business I won't be getting any more calls from them I don't think.
probably a good thing.

its a measure of pride for me to help the goalie as much as possible. i dont get in front of shots too often cuz i dont want you guys to be bored but i back check a lot harder than necessary sometimes

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote