HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

It's playoff time...

View Poll Results: Which two centers would you take for a playoff run?
Mark Messier & Bobby Clarke 28 43.75%
Bryan Trottier & Peter Forsberg 16 25.00%
Stan Mikita & Sergei Fedorov 3 4.69%
Joe Sakic & Steve Yzerman 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

vCash: 500
It's playoff time...

...and your top two centers are out indefinitely. Who do you replace them with for a playoff run? All players are in their primes.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 04:44 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Gotta go with Spear and Slash, although the other combinations are intriguing. Still, I want grit, leadership and an all around game.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:29 PM
livewell68

I think this is a great poll and all of the combinations are great.

I think Messier and Clarke are the scariest combination due to the fact that both did some questionable things on the ice and would often times cross the line to help their team win. Some of their antics would have been down right illegal on today's NHL.

I picked them but I think Mikita and Fedorov were the most skilled combination, while Yzerman and Sakic were the quintessential classy leaders.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Big Phil

What a fun poll. I hesitated for a second, but the best playoff performer out of that entire group is Messier. Throw in Clarke and while he could have sexier numbers from an all-time great in the postseason he still would be the perfect 2nd line center.

I have to admit, I would be torn on who to put 2nd. Sakic/Yzerman vs. Trottier/Forsberg is a dandy. I guess if I had to choose I would go with the former. 4th pick for me is Mikita/Fedorov. I know you aren't going to get the underacheiving Fedorov in the postseason but someone has to end up 4th here.

We all saw how Messier could carry a team post-Gretzky. But he never had the support of a center like Clarke behind him. If you were the opposition you'd be looking over your shoulder constantly.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:22 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Messier and Clarke for me, but I like all of the pairings and think they'd all be successful.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
...and your top two centers are out indefinitely. Who do you replace them with for a playoff run? All players are in their primes.
All in their primes, it's pretty much flip a coin but I'll take Trotts and Forsberg, although feds and Mikita looks interesting.

The other 2 sets are the sexy and obvious choices given their SC legendary status.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:25 AM
DRWCountryClub

I'd take Yzerman and Sakic.

Total package minus the thuggery or Messier and Clarke, great offensively, defensively, leadership, heart, class.

I think they'd beat Mess and Clarke with equal line ups, although I never saw Clarke play and missed Messier's best years, so I'm biased towards Yzerman and Sakic.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Sentinel

I'll make it more fun and add "in today's NHL."

I'm not too familiar with Mikita, but I know he was a skilled guy. As such, he would be a great match with Feds. Trotts and Foppa are sheer power, and two 19s are sheer class and leadership. Under today's rules, Messier and Clarke would never leave the penalty box. So...

19s
Feds-Mikita
Trottier-Fors
Goons

Sentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'd take Messier and Clarke without a second thought. That's nothing against the other pairings, but those two are perfectly suited for playoff hockey.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'd take Messier and Clarke without a second thought. That's nothing against the other pairings, but those two are perfectly suited for playoff hockey.
Interesting to see them running away with it. I thought they'd be neck and neck with Trottier/Forsberg (I honestly can't choose between those two pairings), with Sakic/Yzerman trailing slightly behind. Couldn't go wrong with Feds and Mikita either.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:16 PM
tony d
The franchise

Messier and Clarke.

08-23-2013, 03:21 PM

I'll go with Trots and Forsberg. At one time or another both were the best in the league.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 06:50 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post

I'm not too familiar with Mikita, but I know he was a skilled guy. As such, he would be a great match with Feds. Trotts and Foppa are sheer power, and two 19s are sheer class and leadership. Under today's rules, Messier and Clarke would never leave the penalty box. So...

19s
Feds-Mikita
Trottier-Fors
Goons
Why would you change the poll idea?

But nevertheless, why wold you assume Messier and Clarke would never leave the penalty box? Both guys, Mess especially, had elite hockey IQ and both players would definitely be effective in todays game.

Messier in his prime could skate and score with the best of them. I can't see either of these two being dumb enough, to not change their games according to rules.

Why is Mikta a good match for Feds? I personally believe he would be, but I would really like to hear your ideas on the matter.

Shockin, but I picked Messier and Clarke.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'll go with Trots and Forsberg. At one time or another both were the best in the league.
Every player on the list except Yzerman won a Hart trophy, and he won a Pearson. They all had a sizable crowd of people claiming them as the best in the league at some point.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

19s
Feds-Mikita
Trottier-Fors
Goons
They would probably get the same treatment star players of today would get. We all know how Ovechkin and Pronger for example would play on the edge. Despite all of the constant instant replay and camera angles that we have at our disposal these guys played a dirty game in many ways and weren't ushered to the penalty box on a constant basis. With Messier it was all about how and when he would do a dirty play. He'd have to watch his elbows, but there would be other things he could do that would open up room for himself. Either way, Moose would adjust, as would Clarke. And it isn't as if these guys couldn't beat you with the puck on their stick either. I mean, how often did these guys take a bad penalty that cost their team? I can only think of one time where Messier took a penalty at a critical time. 1988 Game 2 vs. Calgary in overtime. He tripped up (Flames defenseman) in his own zone and it was needless. However, Gretzky scored shorthanded...........

Old
08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:

19s
Feds-Mikita
Trottier-Fors
Goons
Yeah because the refs never swallow their whistles in today's playoffs...

I voted for the Goons. All are excellent choices.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
revolverjgw

Clarke and Messier in most eras, but not this one. I'd probably go with Sakic/Yzerman.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
Holy ****, I assume the normal top two centers are Gretzky and Lemieux if these are our backup choices??

08-24-2013, 10:15 AM
DRWCountryClub

How are Clarke and Messier MORE suited to the playoffs than basically any other pairing here?

Sure, together they have the most Cups, thanks in large part the the Oilers Dynasty, but it's not like any of the other pairings had issues playing in the playoffs.

Sakic's 18 goals, Yzerman's Conn Smythe on one knee(5 Cups between them), Forsberg just being a monster and raising his game, Fedorov also raising his game and scoring 20+ points 4 straight years, and Trottier with a Conn Smythe and great numbers as well, plus his two way game. I can't really speak for Mikita.

I just don't see how that's a point in favour of Messier and Clarke.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
How are Clarke and Messier MORE suited to the playoffs than basically any other pairing here?

Sure, together they have the most Cups, thanks in large part the the Oilers Dynasty, but it's not like any of the other pairings had issues playing in the playoffs.

Sakic's 18 goals, Yzerman's Conn Smythe on one knee(5 Cups between them), Forsberg just being a monster and raising his game, Fedorov also raising his game and scoring 20+ points 4 straight years, and Trottier with a Conn Smythe and great numbers as well, plus his two way game. I can't really speak for Mikita.

My reasoning for picking them is because that duo features the best playoff performer out of the bunch - Messier. I wouldn't say he's the bunch by a country mile, but he certainly had clearly the best playoff record out of any of them.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:29 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I am with Phil on this one. Messier was the best playoff performer of this bunch. Not by a mile, but clearly still. Actually, I am not sure there is any other forward (excluding Gretzky) I would want in playoffs before Messier. The guy knew how to play his opponents.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:28 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post

I don't know how you go from one sentence saying that people are Cup counting with the Oilers dynasty and the next sentence talking about Fedorov's four-straight 20-point playoffs as if playing 78 games over four consecutive playoffs didn't provide a unique opportunity to become a trivia answer. Do Messier's seven 20-point playoffs (three of which were 30+) somehow mean less than Fedorov's four because they weren't consecutive?

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote