HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Forsberg/Kurri vs Sundin/Selänne.

View Poll Results: Which one?
Forsberg/Kurri 38 88.37%
Sundin/Selänne 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Metalcommand

vCash: 500
Forsberg/Kurri vs Sundin/Selänne.

Completely hypothetical and just for fun. Which duo you'd take to be the cornerstone of your team for a decade or more?

EDIT: Sorry for the botch, was supposed to put this in the polls section. Was reading the HOH forum and forgot I was there or something that only god knows. If someone could move it it'd be greatly appreciated.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Forsberg/Kurri easily.

Much better defensively and better playoff performers than the Sundin/Selanne duo.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:18 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

the "cornerstone of your team for a decade or more" is the reason I considered Sundin/Selanne but I still went with Forsberg/Kurri. The difference in peak value between Forsberg and Sundin is just too big IMO.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 02:04 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Forsberg and Kurri.

Kurri brings a bit less offense than Selanne, but he makes up a lot of it by being great on his own end. I know a lot of people weight down on Kurri's offensive game due to the great one. And it is perfectly fine, I don't see Kurri as the 130-140 point player he was without Gretzky. But I firmly believe he was able to put up 110-120 points in his peak with a regular center. That is not too shabby peak for one of the most resbonsible players of his decade.
I am usually not a big fan on comparing Selanne and his playoffs exploits to another player, since Selanne didn't really have good opportunities to put up big playoffs in his prime. But when we compare Selanne and Kurri the difference on post-season is so fricking huge that I have no problem of saying Kurri tops Selanne easily on that regard.

Summing it up, I believe Selanne brought a tad more valuable play on his peak, but Kurri has the playoffs to put him over the top here. I have actually heard some good cases on behalf of Kurri having the better peak out of these two. Close call, could go with either one of them but for this poll I take Kurri.

Sundin vs. Forsberg is a lot easier for me. Peter was better on practically every aspect of the game. I would probably go as far and say that Forsberg's great ability to score big goals puts his scoring touch on the same tier as Sundin's great consistency on goalscoring. Adding in the fact that Forsberg is the strong 2nd/close 1st playoff player of this poll it makes easy for me to pick Foppa.

So, Forsberg/Kurri without a lot of thinking, due to the difference on centers.

It would be interesting to see how Forsberg would mold his game if he would have a winger like Kurri. Kurri could still snipe all those Forsberg's great passes but I think Kurri would remain as the more resbonsible two-way player out of these two. Not cause he has the better tools for it, but cause I see Forsberg having more tools in his box and he is one of the guys I actually believe could be better by focusing 100% on offense. At least at times.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 03:56 AM
silkyjohnson50*

This is one of those polls where I see the names and my mind is easily made up before I even blink.

And after reading the decade part I'm still 100% committed to my vote.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:50 AM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Forsberg and Kurri easily.

08-24-2013, 09:00 AM
feffan

The one thing going for Sundin/Selänne is their outstanding perfomances on their national teams. Don´t take me wrong -Forsberg is one of the best players for Tre Kronor ever and Kurri had some great tournaments. But Sundin has a kind of "Messer - THE Captain" status in Sweden ever since his goals in the 1991 WC and threw many great perfomance right up to the Olympic Gold. He played his best games as a part of Tre Kronor and when both Forsberg and he were active a majority in Sweden probably more hoped for Sundin. And Selänne can be argued the best player of a couple of the Olympics and always played great with the lions.

That said, even if I think Sundin/Selänne is getting undervalued here I would easily choose Kurri/Forsberg.

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 09:43 AM
tjcurrie

To me, Forsberg is the swaying factor here. I'll go with he and Kurri because of that. If it was Forsberg/Selanne I'd be going with that.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Big Phil

Forsberg and Kurri for sure. Kurri is the smartest player all around of the bunch, I think when all things are considered. Forsberg is the most intense. In my mind Kurri had the best peak out of any of them, or Forsberg.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Metalcommand

Really interesting poll although very lopsided. I excepted more of a 70/30 split for Forsberg and Kurri. Forsberg is very highly thought of and I overestimated the difference between Selänne and Kurri. Was gunning for a Greater C/Great W against Great C/Greater W type of thing.

My personal pick would the the Forsberg duo too but either of those would be quite nice to have, eh?

Old
08-24-2013, 02:18 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
Really interesting poll although very lopsided. I excepted more of a 70/30 split for Forsberg and Kurri. Forsberg is very highly thought of and I overestimated the difference between Selänne and Kurri. Was gunning for a Greater C/Great W against Great C/Greater W type of thing.

My personal pick would the the Forsberg duo too but either of those would be quite nice to have, eh?
I think most people on the history board have Selanne and Kurri as more or less equals.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Metalcommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think most people on the history board have Selanne and Kurri as more or less equals.
Yeah that's come very clear. Unfortunately I was a mere kid when Kurri was in his twilight years so I didnt appreciate him as much as I should've. Selänne on the other hand, like a god to me. Thats what ypu get for being born in the early 90's

Old
08-24-2013, 08:33 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Not me. I have an irrationally inflated opinion of Selanne relative to Kurri.

Forsberg and Kurri would have incredible chemistry. I take them.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Quote:
the "cornerstone of your team for a decade or more" is the reason I considered Sundin/Selanne but I still went with Forsberg/Kurri. The difference in peak value between Forsberg and Sundin is just too big IMO.
This. I consider Kurri/Selanne equal, but Forsberg vs. Sundin is a no brainer.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote