HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
08-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Would rather have someone backcheck resonsibly instead of standing and watching You'd get a gold star from me

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 02:40 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Would rather have someone backcheck resonsibly instead of standing and watching You'd get a gold star from me
the last thing i want to do is go home after the game and wonder if i put a stick in the way would we have won, you know?

the captain on our team stresses short shifts, so i try to take that seriously if i can. ill come off in 30 seconds sometimes, but then the other guys will go out there and coast for a full minute.

we always win when everyone buys into the short shifts/hard skating. every time. people dont realize it though, but when we are fluidly changing on the fly, and all skating and back checking the other teams just dont know what to do.

-i remember the top team telling us we pretty much gave them no ice to work with because of this, but then the very next game it was back to normal. very frustrating.

..also if your team strategy is to get the puck deep. why am i the only one skating in on an actual forecheck? wtf is a 1 man forecheck gonna do?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 03:26 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
That's a strange setup there. I know locally here, anyone who referees or is a league official can't play for that very reason. Rink employees are allowed to, but most don't because of the possibility of a job/recreation conflict.
In the league I play in there are one or two refs who play, it's pretty stupid if you ask me.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 04:34 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc90 View Post
Not really a beer league frustration but a puck shoot frustration. As a goalie who is just starting out i would like to ask player to take more actual shots. It might be fun for you but rapid fire breakaways with you trying to deke me out of my pants every shot is not so much fun for the goalie. Its not really the practice i want and its quite tiring. Also i dont like taking pucks to the back of the head so stop taking shots at me if im fishing the pucks out of the next.
If it's warmup and the guy tries to deke me, I'll just stand there. Same if a guy tries to pick corners from in close. I just stop trying to make the save on him evry time he comes in. If I get hit up high, I'm out of there and stretching by the bench for the rest of warmup. A crappy warmup and I'm most likely going to have a crappy game.

Best warmup routine has one guy in between the circles shooting a bucket at me until I get the feel. After that, have at it- within reason.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 03:16 AM
HiEverybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
you're not in/near Chicago by any chance are you?
Nope, Southern California. I take it it's the same in Chicago?

HiEverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 03:56 AM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Played some goalie recently. We won 5-4. My team giving me ****. "Why can't you stop anything" Etc... meanwhile I'm usually facing a 3-1 or a 2 on 0 (The 2-0's aren't that hard to save but sometimes I really need to get innovative...) because the defensemen either A) Don't feel the need to get back, NHL13 esque style or B) The one guy holds onto it for too long and gets it swiped from his stick... Mind you I only let up 1 every period except the 2nd. But the fact that they basically play run and gun and don't backcheck/defend a whole lot grinds me the wrong way.
I lucked out when I used to play goalie. I only played it because my friends all hated playing goal, so they all told me they didn't give a damn if my save percentage was 50% or 100% lol, they were just having fun. And I turned out to be a decent goalie to boot. Not great, but I usually stop around 90% of the shots I faced.

The one time someone started giving me **** for my goaltending in a drop in game, I threw my goalie stick at him and skated away lol.

Flames Maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Haha. Yeah, they were giving my crap. Like I said, not playing for them anymore. Couple friends of mine in a neighboring town asked if I can drop in for them. Next game is against the old team.

It's not like I'm not friends with anyone on my old team either. 2 guys on there I'm pretty good friends with, the other guys are *****. Really only got encouragement from my two friends, other guys kept complaining yet they were the ones playing recklessly...

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Ozz

Had one less than a full line show up today, and no goalie. When we noticed this, 20 minutes to game time, we called the guys who run the team and found that nobody (cared) accounted for sending in replacements/subs. We're pretty good, but letting a team shoot on an open net is pretty tough to overcome, not to mention it was the #1 team in the division. We were able to scrounge one player from the prior teams that played, but neither goalie could stay. We didn't even have enough to play a man up with our goalie out all game.

The worst part is I gave up something I'd been planning for months so I wouldn't leave the team with one less skater today. They'd been a skeleton crew all season with 1-2 subs (if any) per game, so I didn't want to hurt 'em. Shows what I get for thinking of others first

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
That's a strange setup there. I know locally here, anyone who referees or is a league official can't play for that very reason. Rink employees are allowed to, but most don't because of the possibility of a job/recreation conflict.
So what about the guys who are rink employees, also ref, also play in the men's league, AND one of which IS the league manager? Do they get to play? Because they used to at my old rink lol. Definitely a conflict of interest, but I'd say they actually did a pretty fair job all things considered.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:40 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
So what about the guys who are rink employees, also ref, also play in the men's league, AND one of which IS the league manager? Do they get to play? Because they used to at my old rink lol. Definitely a conflict of interest, but I'd say they actually did a pretty fair job all things considered.
if your rink has multiple leagues, the refs just need to not be in the league they play in.

if there is just one league, well...i suppose theyd need to be watched.

Old
08-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Ozz

Quote:
They do at my rink, in fact we try to count on them to fill roster spots when absolutely necessary They always play hard for whichever team they're helping out though, no one's ever had a need to question their efforts. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of people dicking around when they take themselves/the league too seriously, though.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:49 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiEverybody View Post
Nope, Southern California. I take it it's the same in Chicago?
depends on the league, some do a decent to good job of managing parity, alot do not. The Gold-Silver-Bronze designation is not common here (lettering A-B-C-D is more commin for leagues) but there is one league that I've been considering that does it and I wanted to make sure that you were not talking about it. But I looked again and they do have a silver league so maybe less of an issue than where you are since not such a big jump between divisions.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:12 PM
JSand

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
depends on the league, some do a decent to good job of managing parity, alot do not. The Gold-Silver-Bronze designation is not common here (lettering A-B-C-D is more commin for leagues) but there is one league that I've been considering that does it and I wanted to make sure that you were not talking about it. But I looked again and they do have a silver league so maybe less of an issue than where you are since not such a big jump between divisions.
are you talking about the league at Twin in Buffalo Grove? If yes, I can give you info and no, I don't work there.

JSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Yes the league manager plays for the team we hated that the fat guy was on. We complained to the old man scorekeeper at the end of the game and he said the rink has no control over who refs the league and he couldnt do anything about it.

I dont think we're playing there as a team anymore. There are plenty of other rinks with better leagues in the area. No wonder the rink is going under.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:40 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSand View Post
are you talking about the league at Twin in Buffalo Grove? If yes, I can give you info and no, I don't work there.
yup, exactly. Wanna pm me?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Brodie562

Ok so this might be long. and hopefully not too confusing.

just formed an inline team (my first time playing organized hockey of any kind) and the team is trying to deceive who our captain will be. from the beginning ( us just playing pick up) its been a couple of players (goalkeeper and his cousin: Player A) that have been telling people "you'll be wearing an "A" and such based on im assuming who impressed the week before.

now i really dont mind who the captain is but what i haven’t liked is that those 2 players have only talked the talk. when it came down to paper work, gathering funds or just discussing rules (I got into a good discussion with them over hitting. They were encouraging others to hit. I was against it knowing its not allowed in league play and that’s its just not safe seeing as half of our players cant even keep their heads up while skating without the puck) , they were helpless and left things to the deadline . i jumped in and pestered everyone to get our registration money by the due date and signed us up.

well these past couple of weeks a newer more experienced player has joined us (player B). others on the team thought it would be good for him to captain us. well player A got word of this and didnt much like it. from what i gather he believes being captain means coaching and leading on the court. i dont really disagree with that but don’t like his lack of knowledge of the rules and organization with the things that REALLY matter for us to play (paper work, jerseys, money, etc.) .

now what id like to know is how should we go about this? I thought it would be cool to have the letters on different players throughout the season (like the Wild in the pre-Koivu days) but others want to vote. is player A right about it being his role? Player B has played for years and has a good idea of how things are run. How did some of your teams pick your captain? Is it the best player with the most hustle and effort?

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 02:03 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post

just formed an inline team (my first time playing organized hockey of any kind) and the team is trying to deceive who our captain will be. from the beginning ( us just playing pick up) its been a couple of players (goalkeeper and his cousin: Player A) that have been telling people "you'll be wearing an "A" and such based on im assuming who impressed the week before.

now i really dont mind who the captain is but what i havenít liked is that those 2 players have only talked the talk. when it came down to paper work, gathering funds or just discussing rules (I got into a good discussion with them over hitting. They were encouraging others to hit. I was against it knowing its not allowed in league play and thatís its just not safe seeing as half of our players cant even keep their heads up while skating without the puck) , they were helpless and left things to the deadline . i jumped in and pestered everyone to get our registration money by the due date and signed us up.

well these past couple of weeks a newer more experienced player has joined us (player B). others on the team thought it would be good for him to captain us. well player A got word of this and didnt much like it. from what i gather he believes being captain means coaching and leading on the court. i dont really disagree with that but donít like his lack of knowledge of the rules and organization with the things that REALLY matter for us to play (paper work, jerseys, money, etc.) .

now what id like to know is how should we go about this? I thought it would be cool to have the letters on different players throughout the season (like the Wild in the pre-Koivu days) but others want to vote. is player A right about it being his role? Player B has played for years and has a good idea of how things are run. How did some of your teams pick your captain? Is it the best player with the most hustle and effort?
in beer league its usually the guy organizing funds, jerseys, and going to captains meetings.

in game a little i guess...sets the lines before every period, etc. nothing crazy. the other stuff is more important, since everyone seems to find their nit picking voice in the lockeroom

Old
08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
iLandHer

Quote:

now i really dont mind who the captain is but what i havenít liked is that those 2 players have only talked the talk. when it came down to paper work, gathering funds or just discussing rules (I got into a good discussion with them over hitting. They were encouraging others to hit. I was against it knowing its not allowed in league play and thatís its just not safe seeing as half of our players cant even keep their heads up while skating without the puck) , they were helpless and left things to the deadline . i jumped in and pestered everyone to get our registration money by the due date and signed us up.

well these past couple of weeks a newer more experienced player has joined us (player B). others on the team thought it would be good for him to captain us. well player A got word of this and didnt much like it. from what i gather he believes being captain means coaching and leading on the court. i dont really disagree with that but donít like his lack of knowledge of the rules and organization with the things that REALLY matter for us to play (paper work, jerseys, money, etc.) .

Like stated above, it's usually the guy who collects the money and deals with the league. They handle the captain's duties with the league, which include payment, jerseys, suspensions, etc.

On ice leadership is different and in beer league you don't really need someone designated in order to 'lead' the team. If a guy is getting upset at not being the captain, then he probably just shouldn't be your captain at all. You want someone who can talk to the referees without turning into an idiot, on the occasion that they need to speak with someone.

As a side note, hitting is illegal in inline, but playing the body isn't. There is a difference between the two things, so if he's talking about using your body then you'd be wise to listen to that advice. If he's talking about hitting someone with an open ice hit, then that's a big mistake and will likely get you tossed or suspended.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Danglous

Quote:

You should just say screw it and leave them all blank. Let the leaders emerge naturally. Personally I think making a big deal out of beer league captaincy is corny. Like someone else said it's usually the guy who runs the team who calls the shots.

Player A has another thing coming if he thinks the league will tolerate hitting

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Brodie562

Thanks for responding guys. I really liked the idea of leaving the jerseys blank.

@ tricycledriveby: they were going for hits in the corner and up against the boards when others were digging pucks out with their heads down. They were totally charging into them. They were Taking multiple strides into them.

I understand that the game is gonna be physical, thats a big reason for wanting to play.

Last edited by Brodie562: 08-31-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:27 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Thanks for responding guys. I really liked the idea of leaving the jerseys blank.

@ tricycledriveby: they were going for hits in the corner and up against the boards when others were digging pucks out with their heads down. They were totally charging into them. They were Taking multiple strides into them.

I understand that the game is gonna be physical, thats a big reason for wanting to play.
Your team will be shorthanded a lot if they try and do that. You're definitely right to advise your team not to follow that advice.

Old
09-01-2013, 04:19 PM
NateTheGr8

Im an underager in a mens league which they gave me "exceptional-status" to play while under the age limit (19, im 17)

I got drafted 2nd overall out of 6 teams (there were 48 people picked) ive played 3 of my games the last week and we won each of them. I am leading my team in assists as defenseman, the last game i played though I was getting a lot more attention from the other teams players and people got really edgy with me in a non-contact league. I got hacked and slashed alot but that was okay. Then this 30 year old dumped the puck in and while we were fighting for it he hit me head on into the boards which erupted into a line brawl with the goalie and everything. The guy got suspended for 10 games for hit from behind. I was just fustrated how a guy older than me would hit me from behind in a non contact league when i was just playing the game

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
cowboy82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheGr8 View Post
Im an underager in a mens league which they gave me "exceptional-status" to play while under the age limit (19, im 17)

I got drafted 2nd overall out of 6 teams (there were 48 people picked) ive played 3 of my games the last week and we won each of them. I am leading my team in assists as defenseman, the last game i played though I was getting a lot more attention from the other teams players and people got really edgy with me in a non-contact league. I got hacked and slashed alot but that was okay. Then this 30 year old dumped the puck in and while we were fighting for it he hit me head on into the boards which erupted into a line brawl with the goalie and everything. The guy got suspended for 10 games for hit from behind. I was just fustrated how a guy older than me would hit me from behind in a non contact league when i was just playing the game
He was mad because a young guy is playing better than him.

cowboy82nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
There used to occasionally be closed drop-in times for people who weren't able to play in the leagues. This included a couple of ex-pro players who would skate circles around A-level league, a couple of the officials, rink employees, and the league commissioner.

The commish was actually pretty good; I asked him why he didn't play in the league, and he said something like "I've got 50 guys out there in the league who want to break my neck already. I don't need any more, and I don't want to have to be protected out there."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 08:47 PM
DigitalSea
Thank you Landon

My complaint is not knowing any beer leagues in SoCal and not knowing how to skate. I wish I had something cool to complain about like you guys.

DigitalSea is offline   Reply With Quote