HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Old
08-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post70485053

Getzlaf too high. He shouldn't even be in top 50.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I think Grabovski signing with Washington for that money and term clearly indicates he had no interest signing here. If Murph was going to bring in another center if would have been for a deal like that. No big deal, I'm just glad we can move on from speculating about him.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post70485053

Getzlaf too high. He shouldn't even be in top 50.
....?

Explain to me how Carter is 18, Spezza is 19, Couture is 28, Getzlaf is 33, and Thornton isn't even ranked? Is this list based solely on goal scoring?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
....?

Explain to me how Carter is 18, Spezza is 19, Couture is 28, Getzlaf is 33, and Thornton isn't even ranked? Is this list based solely on goal scoring?
Apparently Carter>Kopitar also. Bergeron at 9 is ridiculous, as is Malkin being behind Toews and Tavares. Backstrom was another guy not listed. There's no logic in that list.

Those "intangibles" Toews brings to the table are now being thrown onto Bergerons skillset by the media. I'm a massive Bergeron fan but he simply doesn't have the offensive game to justify him being that high. Tavares is another guy being ranked on what he's capable of doing in the future as opposed to what he's actually done. He's not particularly strong defensively, doesn't bring much physicality and offensively has put up two 0.99PPG seasons yet he's being ranked as though he's a 100 point scorer. The Hart nomination was based off him leading the Isles to the playoffs for the first time in forever, not because he was the 3rd best player in the world last season.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:25 PM
AngelDuck

SMH at those rankings...

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
yeah, well... we signed Penner for 2M.

I still don`t like that signing, and i don`t like it even more, after Grabo settled for 3M.
We needed a left winger more than anything, this summer. With Ryan out, the need for an experienced player at that position got even worse.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:35 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We needed a left winger more than anything, this summer. With Ryan out, the need for an experienced player at that position got even worse.
Left wing is generally a throwaway position in terms of production. Just look at historically, all the top forwards are C or RW.

I still think center was a bigger need. We have two prospective scoring prospects for one position where production is more important (one semi-proven, one unproven). On LW there are two spots open, but we had two possible vets (Cogs, Winnik), a young roster player (Beleskey), and five unproven prospects who may or may not be able to move over (Palmieri, Etem, Silf, Maroon, DSP). Also those prospective centers could move to LW as well. RW will take up one of those maybes, as well as two 3rd line positions, but there's still more bodies where you can compensate for all the maybes. And this on a position where production is less important.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Exit Dose

The problem isn't that we needed more production out of our LWs, but there was a serious problem with their ability to hold down the job. Ryan was the only one that Boudreau felt confident that he could put on those lines with regularity. We have to give our coach someone that he feels comfortable playing there. You still get your maybes with Silfverberg and Palmieri(if Penner whiffs).

If production was important, why would I be defending Penner?

Old
08-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
The problem isn't that we needed more production out of our LWs, but there was a serious problem with their ability to hold down the job. Ryan was the only one that Boudreau felt confident that he could put on those lines with regularity. We have to give our coach someone that he feels comfortable playing there. You still get your maybes with Silfverberg and Palmieri(if Penner whiffs).

If production was important, why would I be defending Penner?
Beleskey and Cogliano were very good LW`s last season. The question was only about 1 top 6 LW. As it was for 1 top 6 center, and i rate centers higher than LW`s.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:05 AM
Exit Dose

They were not great fits for our top six, and in Cogliano's case, we needed him to be on the line that he was.

That's fine that you value centers more, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a need. All of that line juggling last season wasn't just because Boudreau was bored.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
They were not great fits for our top six, and in Cogliano's case, we needed him to be on the line that he was.

That's fine that you value centers more, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a need. All of that line juggling last season wasn't just because Boudreau was bored.
Yeah but they were gread for their bottom 6 roles. What i said is - we lacked a #2 center as much as we lacked #2 LW. #1,#3,#4 LW`s and C`s were very good

I would put our LW need below our needs of top2 defenseman and #2 center.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Yeah but they were gread for their bottom 6 roles. What i said is - we lacked a #2 center as much as we lacked #2 LW. #1,#3,#4 LW`s and C`s were very good
Did you? I'm sorry, I must have missed that post. Apologies.

Quote:
I would put our LW need below our needs of top2 defenseman and #2 center.
A top two defenseman wasn't going to happen. As for the center, it sounds like they're confident with what they have. I can't say that I blame them, with Koivu signing up for another tour.

Old
08-25-2013, 06:24 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Apparently Carter>Kopitar also. Bergeron at 9 is ridiculous, as is Malkin being behind Toews and Tavares. Backstrom was another guy not listed. There's no logic in that list.

Those "intangibles" Toews brings to the table are now being thrown onto Bergerons skillset by the media. I'm a massive Bergeron fan but he simply doesn't have the offensive game to justify him being that high. Tavares is another guy being ranked on what he's capable of doing in the future as opposed to what he's actually done. He's not particularly strong defensively, doesn't bring much physicality and offensively has put up two 0.99PPG seasons yet he's being ranked as though he's a 100 point scorer. The Hart nomination was based off him leading the Isles to the playoffs for the first time in forever, not because he was the 3rd best player in the world last season.
You're not taking sexiness of market into account, DUH.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Did you? I'm sorry, I must have missed that post. Apologies.

A top two defenseman wasn't going to happen. As for the center, it sounds like they're confident with what they have. I can't say that I blame them, with Koivu signing up for another tour.
Well, i said it in other words, maybe i should have been more clearer.

Anyway, i agree with the fact that defenseman weren`t going to happen, but why the hell we took Penner over Grabo is beyond me.

Old
08-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Exit Dose

I think it boils down to this. If the kids fail at LW, we don't have a plan B. If the kids fail at center, we still have Koivu, who outplayed Grabo this year at both ends of the ice. One thing that went in Penner's favor is that he had chemistry with the twins in the past(sustained), and with Ryan gone we needed to bring in someone that could potentially do that.

Old
08-26-2013, 02:22 AM
bootsgaudet

i could see Brunner being signed if selanne decides not to come back .... id prefer that over some rookie call ups, brunner seems like he wou1ld shine on the ducks.

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:41 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Toews being ranked 6th is outrageous. He finally cracked a PPG pace this year, with 48 points in 47 games and for all the talk about how clutch he is, he was pretty meh in the playoffs this year. Of course, Bergeron in the top 10 is an even bigger joke.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
i could see Brunner being signed if selanne decides not to come back .... id prefer that over some rookie call ups, brunner seems like he wou1ld shine on the ducks.
Didn't Brunner sign with the Devils? Or is he still in the market?

Plus we've got already enough of smallish, fast wingers. I'd rather let the ducklings take over.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Didn't Brunner sign with the Devils? Or is he still in the market?

Plus we've got already enough of smallish, fast wingers. I'd rather let the ducklings take over.
I think we have enough wingers in particular

Old
08-26-2013, 12:48 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
Toews being ranked 6th is outrageous. He finally cracked a PPG pace this year, with 48 points in 47 games and for all the talk about how clutch he is, he was pretty meh in the playoffs this year. Of course, Bergeron in the top 10 is an even bigger joke.
It's never been about the point production with Toews. Similar to how we, as Ducks fans, know Getzlaf's skill and dominance much better than stats would indicate to the outsiders.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I think Grabovski signing with Washington for that money and term clearly indicates he had no interest signing here. If Murph was going to bring in another center if would have been for a deal like that. No big deal, I'm just glad we can move on from speculating about him.
I agree, that amount and total number of years means that he had very little if no interest in playing in Anaheim this season. Murray would have easily gone at least the 1 year and $3 million a season and I think knowing Murray he would have gone 2-3 years and $3.5 million a season.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I agree, that amount and total number of years means that he had very little if no interest in playing in Anaheim this season. Murray would have easily gone at least the 1 year and $3 million a season and I think knowing Murray he would have gone 2-3 years and $3.5 million a season.
He will sign with us next year when Saku retires..

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:26 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
He will sign with us next year when Saku retires..
doubtful. hopefully our kids would've stepped up by then

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
It's never been about the point production with Toews. Similar to how we, as Ducks fans, know Getzlaf's skill and dominance much better than stats would indicate to the outsiders.
No it hasn't. But how much are the intangibles actually worth? In Toews case they appear to be a hell of a lot as the offensively discrepancy between he and many who are ranked behind him is pretty large.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Eddie Shack

Intangibles will always be worth more on an original 6 team versus a sunbelt team. As Bruce Hornsby would say, that's just the way it is.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote