HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Center problem

Old
08-25-2013, 03:54 AM
hulabaluu

vCash: 500
Center problem

Grabovski signed one year $3 million contract with the caps. What to do now with the center problem? Seems that soon we are out of nhl-close offensive prospects since the departure of rajala and harti.

hulabaluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Bergeron47

I wonder what Eakins' opinion of Tim Connolly is after briefly coaching him last year. At his price point he could probably be used anywhere from a #2C injury-replacement to a 4th liner to AHL depth.

Jones-Mueller-Hemsky would be a cool 3rd line.

To be honest it's frustrating as hell to see year after year management unable to identify and rectify obvious holes in the lineup that a casual fan can identify. These are professionals that are getting paid a lot of money to do this, and their incompetence is embarrassing. Get another ******* center!

Last edited by Bergeron47: 08-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 06:22 AM
hulabaluu

Maybe they should invite some free agents to training camp. Eakins must have clear opinion on him. I have heard that Mueller has had some problems with his health. Hopefully Nuge is ready in the start of the season because i dont wanna go with to ahl centers, this aint calgary.

Old
08-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Bergeron47

Gagner-Gordon-Acton-Miller-Hamilton-Lander is the center equivalent of Conkanen+Morrison

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

MacT's hope was that some of the Hemsky money was going to go towards a center. No takers. I'm sure we'll see a couple of TC invites to battle with Lander for the fourth line, and Hall will be 2C until RNH returns.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 07:49 AM
hulabaluu

It seems like we are stuck with hemsky at least for a while, which prevents us making any other moves.

Old
08-25-2013, 09:35 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
We need center depth but it would be best to have a player who plays 3rd line rw who could fill in at center as well. That would be the best scenario if we lost hemsky.

But when you think about it, with hemsky in the lineup, we are going to be beasts on offense IMO considering our scoring depth.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:47 AM
hulabaluu

Hemsky is a valuable player in the scoring depth for sure. But to see our team rammed of the building every night doesnt seem good.

Old
08-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Oilception

In still want Mueller. Sign him worst case scenario he is on the fourth line. Should be cheap maybe he regains form and can start as our 2C till Nuge is back

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Tyrolean

Should have signed Grabs.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:59 AM
KMart27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Should have signed Grabs.
Grabovski was not going to sign here to play on the 3rd line and we already have a 3rd line center anyway.

KMart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:26 PM
copper_blue

I agree with Strudwick, Gregor and Brownlee. Plain and simple the Oilers need to improve their centre position, they need a NHL proven depth centreman, even when RNH is healthy.

copper_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:55 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper_blue View Post
I agree with Strudwick, Gregor and Brownlee. Plain and simple the Oilers need to improve their centre position, they need a NHL proven depth centreman, even when RNH is healthy.
Yup this

We don't need Smyth playing center.

Muler would be a good fit but how much does he want? Would he take 1m?

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Spawn

The Oilers decided to adress their defense depth over their center depth. You could have gotten proven NHLers for less than the 1.5 they gave each Grebeshkov and Belov, but they decided to go with those two instead.

It seems like every fan and ever media person knows center depth is a problem for the Oilers, but every time I hear MacT talk he seems satisfied with that position... weird to me.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Smyth and Hemsky are currently huge problems for this team. MacT seems to feel obligated to find a role for Smyth so that role is likely 4C and Hemsky is tying up a bunch of cap space as is N. Schultz if MacT plans on having Grebs as his 3rd pairing LD. I REALLY hope that Smyth is not an everyday player and that we can be rid of Hemsky sooner than later. But in the meantime would it hurt us to invite some actual centers to camp? IMO Acton probably has as good of a shot as any not named Smyth to get the 4C spot and he hasn't played in a single NHL game yet. Hopefully MacT has something up his sleeve and lands us Brian Boyle, that would be a very welcomed surprise. Steckel looked better to my eyes when we played the Ducks than Smithson did his entire time with us. At least invite the guy to camp.

08-25-2013, 02:51 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Oilers decided to adress their defense depth over their center depth. You could have gotten proven NHLers for less than the 1.5 they gave each Grebeshkov and Belov, but they decided to go with those two instead.

It seems like every fan and ever media person knows center depth is a problem for the Oilers, but every time I hear MacT talk he seems satisfied with that position... weird to me.
MacT and the coaches probably want to give Will Acton a shot in the NHL this year.

I wonder why?

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Ukgoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
MacT and the coaches probably want to give Will Acton a shot in the NHL this year.

I wonder why?
Well looks like maybe the right thing to do for the wrong reasons.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

Ukgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Asher

Quote:

I wonder why?
If not for Acton they probably would have given the job to Lander or Smyth. In fact, I still think it's not too late for either of those things to happen.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

This is why we should move Hall to center. Just until RNH comes back:

Yakupov/Hall/Hemsky
Perron/Gagner/Eberle

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

I wonder why?
It's easy to draw that conclusion but it sounds like Eakin is the guy largely responsible for the acquisition of Acton. Based on all reports, he loved having him in Toronto last year in the AHL.

As for our "center problem," I just don't see it. If Nugent-Hopkins is healthy, we're perfectly fine with Lander likely on the fourth line. If Nugent-Hopkins has to miss a month, it's not the end of the world and we'll likely just see Hall move to centre for a few games with Hemsky getting bumped up into the top 6 (where he might actually establish some trade value).

I'm all for bringing in a few depth guys on tryout contracts to compete (not Steckel though - he's terrible now) but I don't see the need to panic and bring in a top 6 replacement.

08-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

I wonder why?
At least he is willing to drop the mitts and play physical, that's already an improvement on Smyth.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 08:48 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

All based on speculation that Nuge won't be ready to start the year. There doesn't seem to be any reason to think that. All you hear is that he is on schedule to start the year..... so not sure what the panic is.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I think Brian Boyle would be a good pickup. Big centreman who's good on draws. NYR have good centre depth--I think he's expendable for the right price.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
I think Brian Boyle would be a good pickup. Big centreman who's good on draws. NYR have good centre depth--I think he's expendable for the right price.
He'd be the perfect 4th line center for this team, hell he might even knock Gordon down to the 4th line center.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:29 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Sounds possible from this article, but you probably won't get a discount dealing with Slats.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/23/sa...s-his-thoughts

Quote:
Rishaug: What about a guy like Brian Boyle? I know from a point wise it wasn’t a great year for him. What do you sense is the direction this player is heading in, how high the upside can be, and is he a guy a lot of teams ask about?

Sather : Ya, I get a lot of request for Brian’s services. I’m not anxious to trade him. I think he’s a good player, he’s a great team player and I think he still has an upside to go to. He’s one of those guys that you may regret trading if you do trade him, so I’m not anxious to do anything with him at this time.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote