HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New 2nd line

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
  #1
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
New 2nd line

Just wondering what you guys would think of a 2nd line of
Shanny - Prucha - Hall
or
Shanny - Cullen - Hall

The main reason being that I'd like to see what Hall can do with more ice time

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
  #2
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Just wondering what you guys would think of a 2nd line of
Shanny - Prucha - Hall
or
Shanny - Cullen - Hall

The main reason being that I'd like to see what Hall can do with more ice time
Well the first one doesn't have a center on it so that doesn't work.

Shanny-Cullen-Hall might be a decent line but that means you're dropping Prucha down to the 3rd line? Most people here aren't going to be happy with that.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
  #3
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
what the Rangers need is more speed to go up against the Buffalo's, Nashville's and San Jose's of the league. I do like hall but he is slow in todays NHL. Trade Hall and Rachunek to L.A for Conroy and another banger like Kanko. Hall may fit well with speedsters McCauley and Avery and Conroy is a swift skating defensive presence that can dish passes to Shanny and Prucha. (try Prucha on his off wing), with Shanny and Conroy being big bodies it may open up room for Prucha on the rigght side.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
  #4
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Well the first one doesn't have a center on it so that doesn't work.

Shanny-Cullen-Hall might be a decent line but that means you're dropping Prucha down to the 3rd line? Most people here aren't going to be happy with that.
I would be one of those people lol. I think Hall would be more effective on the 3rd line. I mean he may actually be effective as a 2nd liner, but I think Prucha should get those min's before Hall does. But what do I know lol

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 08:52 AM
  #5
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,214
vCash: 500
If you want to see more of Hall

I'd like to see them place Hall right in front of the net on the PP with Shanny and Jagr, with Straka and Rachunek on the points, if the PP begins to stutter again.

The only problem with that is you need someone to recover that puck in the corners and work around in tight spaces and we all know that Nylander is great at that. But have Straka at the point gives that unit some speed.

Hall scored 15 PP goals last year by doing the same thing basically.

I will agree with someone when they say he is no better than a second PP unit guy on this team, which he is. But like i said, if they want to change it up a bit, i think he would be valuable if he just parked in front, because he would bring down 1 if not 2 defenseman towards the crease with him, at least drawing some attention away from Jagr and Shanny to give them more room to shoot (and a screen, which almost never occurs)

Besides trying that... i dont think Hall has proven he should be on the second line.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 08:55 AM
  #6
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I'd like to see them place Hall right in front of the net on the PP with Shanny and Jagr, with Straka and Rachunek on the points, if the PP begins to stutter again.

The only problem with that is you need someone to recover that puck in the corners and work around in tight spaces and we all know that Nylander is great at that. But have Straka at the point gives that unit some speed.

Hall scored 15 PP goals last year by doing the same thing basically.

I will agree with someone when they say he is no better than a second PP unit guy on this team, which he is. But like i said, if they want to change it up a bit, i think he would be valuable if he just parked in front, because he would bring down 1 if not 2 defenseman towards the crease with him, at least drawing some attention away from Jagr and Shanny to give them more room to shoot (and a screen, which almost never occurs)

Besides trying that... i dont think Hall has proven he should be on the second line.
Good post. Completely agree.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
  #7
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
what the Rangers need is more speed to go up against the Buffalo's, Nashville's and San Jose's of the league. I do like hall but he is slow in todays NHL. Trade Hall and Rachunek to L.A for Conroy and another banger like Kanko. Hall may fit well with speedsters McCauley and Avery and Conroy is a swift skating defensive presence that can dish passes to Shanny and Prucha. (try Prucha on his off wing), with Shanny and Conroy being big bodies it may open up room for Prucha on the rigght side.
I completely agree about the speed part. Though its really tough to get it.

Last year we where to weak and soft, no doubt about it.

Now we have replaced Rucinsky, Sykora, Orts, Rucchin and Moore with Cullen, Shanahan, Hall and Orr/Dawes. In that equation there is allot of speed and passing/puck possesion skill gooing against size, attitude and finnishing skills.

We need the later, but are defenitly missing what we lost. When we handle the puck we are dominating most games. Having Dom Moore and Rucinsky would defenitly have helped this team, with thoose two we would hang on to the puck for longer stretches, and played less defense.

At the same time we need how can we get that back without giving up what we gained in the size and attitude department?

Though I don't agree with you on Conroy, he is anything but swift. He is a below avg skater, kind of stabby.

I think a center like Brendan Morrison would be ideal. He is really fast, he sees the ice well and are good defensivly. He is really good at opening up space for his wings too. Though the big question is how expensive he would be. I doubt he would come cheap... Another center I think would be a great fit here is Shawn Horcoff, someone who might be on the move. But he have a terrible contract, 3.6m*3 years left. He have tremendous attitude though, works really hard. I think he would be able to connect allot of dots here in NY. With one of them our lineup would be allot better, I am thinking;

I think this lineup would be so much better then what we got right now:
Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Morrison-Shanahan
Cullen-Betts-Ward
Hollweg-Immonen-Orts


Though whats the odds of Vancouver moving Morrison for Hossa and Hall for example? Slim to none...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 10:09 AM
  #8
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Hbnyc...

who knows the outcome, but the Rangers acquired Hall for a reason. As with many other 'assets' he's not being utilized properly. He may only be a 15 goal scorer and not a 25 goal scorer. He may not come to play every game. But I think the organization owes it to themselves to at least see what's there and try him. Playing with Jagr is problematic, however, since you have Shanny and Nylander there too, and Straka playing out of position on the point (he's played there in the past, but isn't very good there). So what can really be done? Perhaps Renney needs to find a way to get others on the PP for ice time, cutting into Nylander, Jagr and Shanny. Yeah, that's tough to do, but the more you get guys like Prucha, Hall and Cullen going offensively through the PP, the more confidence they develop and the better their offense is at even strength. Certain guys need to get into the flow. I remember posting my ice time concerns over the Summer, and specifically as it relates to Hall - he had nearly 17 minutes of ice time in Nashville - the Rangers acquired him to play about 4 minutes less - so what are the expected results? Shanny averaged about 18 and now is around 20. Straka last season was under 18, and Nylander too, and now they're both over 20. I know we've had lots of rants/discussions regarding ice time, but it affects how the whole team plays and more players need to get into the mix for the team as a whole to get going.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.