HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Calgary

Old
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Yes Giordano is probably being unappreciated here and he's signed 3 more years at a cap hit that's probably in the same ballpark that Franson is negotiating for. Then it looks like Liles is being dumped on Calgary as well because why not, and getting the Leafs an asset back in the process.

The tricky part is the 1st, if the Leafs bomb this season then it could be a decent deal for Calgary, otherwise I don't think Giordano (who certainly isn't on the block and who Calgary has no incentive to trade) for Franson + has the makings of a legitimate deal. And if the Leafs need to clear Liles contract for Kadri that should be done in a separate deal, rather than getting lumped in with this one.
Giving up a first could be worth it to the Leafs if it means having extra cap space next season to resign Kessel/Phaneuf/Reimer. Calgary would be doing Toronto a huge favor by taking Fransons(future) and Liles' contracts off their hands.

SyndicateProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMapleLeafsFTW View Post
He is one of our best prospects, beleive me he has more value than you are valuing him as.
About equivalent to J.Schroeder at this point.

Old
08-25-2013, 07:46 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
That puts CGY pretty close to the contract limit, if not over.... Try again
Well the Leafs can obviously take on one or two useless, zero value players in the deal just to take on a few contracts.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 07:47 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Well the Leafs can obviously take on one or two useless, zero value players in the deal just to take on a few contracts.
There's no need making the deal bigger then it has to be.

Old
08-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Bill Waters

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
No the only reason the trade is appealing to us is the 1st and Franson, we already have to many 4-7 defensemen so Liles is purely a cap dump and we aren't giving up picks unless we have to.
this^^^^

I really think this proposal is a win-win deal.

Bill Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Paper

Quote:
That isn't true IMO. Giordano>=Franson (Because of contract) The second part though, is probably true, maybe add a pick in there from Toronto, and then its fair.
Literally 2 days ago you were saying Liles=Giordano. You clearly have no idea who Giordano is and haven't watched him play, yet you're trying to put a value on him?

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:35 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Just stop. Colborne sucks and isn't needed, Liles is nothing but a cap dump, Franson isn't signed yet and the 1st would probably be in the bottom-15 picks. The 2nd won't be that far behind the Leafs 1st and Giordano is a lot better than Franson. To think you could even get close to Weber with that package is laughable. Take off the homer glasses.
I am an Oiler fan . Seen Gio play lots . He is better then Franson on his worst day . Colborne is a joke . He almost Gagner age and has done nothing , but TLM fans seem to think he a bust . If Gagner is a bust what does that make Colborne ? Keep Colborne and convert him to stick boy . As the Flame fan mention there will be little to no difference from their 2nd to the Leafs 1st . Some prospect rank in the second rd could be draft with the Leafs first and some players project to go in the first will be available to Calgary in the 2nd . Seeing the Leafs burnt their buy outs , you want Calgary to take a cap dump you have to pay . Liles and your 1st for a prospect . I believe that is how the Leafs acquired Franson in the first place .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:01 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I am an Oiler fan . Seen Gio play lots . He is better then Franson on his worst day . Colborne is a joke . He almost Gagner age and has done nothing , but TLM fans seem to think he a bust . If Gagner is a bust what does that make Colborne ? Keep Colborne and convert him to stick boy . As the Flame fan mention there will be little to no difference from their 2nd to the Leafs 1st . Some prospect rank in the second rd could be draft with the Leafs first and some players project to go in the first will be available to Calgary in the 2nd . Seeing the Leafs burnt their buy outs , you want Calgary to take a cap dump you have to pay . Liles and your 1st for a prospect . I believe that is how the Leafs acquired Franson in the first place .
We don't want Calgary to take him as a cap dump, its just the fabrication of Flames fans minds. I have seen some good offers on here, even from some Flames fans, but how many of you have seen Franson or Colbourne play, because they play better than what you guys are valuing him at. There's a reason he was number 2 on our prospect list on NHL.com, despite having one of the deepest defensive pools in the league.

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

No thanks.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
The more it is discussed the less I want anything to do with any deal that helps the Leafs move Liles to free up cap space. Unless they pay us to take him, I want no part of it.

I don't even dislike the Leafs but certain posters have me hoping we never make a trade with the Leafs again and hope even more I never see another Flames/Leafs proposal

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
We don't want Calgary to take him as a cap dump, its just the fabrication of Flames fans minds. I have seen some good offers on here, even from some Flames fans, but how many of you have seen Franson or Colbourne play, because they play better than what you guys are valuing him at. There's a reason he was number 2 on our prospect list on NHL.com, despite having one of the deepest defensive pools in the league.
We get it. You think Liles has value because a small number of opposition fans still believe he has value and make poor trade proposals.

Also Flames fans have seen a decent amount of Franson over the years, especially during his time in Nashville (and of course the fact the Leafs are rammed down our throats at every turn), IMO which was more impressive than his tenure in Leafland to date.

As for Colborne, his stock is falling, I used to be very high on him but he is only ranked highly because he is close to NHL ready, not because he will live up to the potential it was once believed he had.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
blankall

Quote:
You have no idea how the cap affects market value. Especially when the cap hit is on a team that everyone knows needs to unload cap and cannot take any significant contracts in return.

And we've all seen our fair share of Leafs games. They get played on hockey night in Canada every weekend no matter how poorly the Leafs are doing. We've seen Franson play. We know who Colbourne is.

That being said, a lot of people in here are seriously undervaluing colbourne. He had very solid numbers in the AHL last year.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:10 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
To Leafs: Giordano, 2nd

To Flames: Franson, Liles, Blacker, 1st
I like this trade for both clubs.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
DayTripper

As a Flames fan, I would do this without hesitation.

DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Roof Daddy

As an Oiler fan who despises both teams, I gotta say its a pretty good deal for both sides. The laughable part of this thread is that a couple of Leaf fans think the difference between Gio and Franson is negligible. Gio can actually skate and play defence. iMO, it breaks down like this:

Franson + Colbourne for Giordano (seems like a fair deal).

JML + a pick in the 18-24 range for a pick in the 31-35 range (seems like a fair price for the cap relief).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:16 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I like this trade for both clubs.
Why, that 2nd could be 30th overall this year. That move from 30th to mid 1st round is not worth what we are giving up.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:06 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
First rounders, potentially top 10 selections are worth more than freeing up a little cap space. If the Leafs were an elite team, it's a no brainer. At this point in time the Leafs are in that 5-10 range in the East. A few serious injuries or bad goaltending and they could easily hover around 20th overall IMO. Now, I don't believe that'll happen but it's possible.
That's a pretty good Chicken Little impression.

Let's just say you're extremely risk averse and move on with our lives.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:29 AM
madmike77

Quote:
The Flames realistically would offer nothing for Liles. They're not playing to win now and they have enough NHL bodies to fill out their D. Liles is not worth the cap hit, even for a team like the Flames - unless there is another Leafs asset coming back.

A contender might offer something for Liles if they were desperate, but most of them already have better players than Liles and can't afford the cap hit.

EDIT: What some people don't seem to get is the Flames this year are built for a tank. Management of course won't say that, but they have a ton of young, unproven pieces (including goaltenders) and are well under the cap. The plan appears to be to collect some high picks and contend down the road once some of the young assets mature. Liles does nothing to help this plan.

Last edited by madmike77: 08-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.
madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:02 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Value is fair, but I don't want to give away our 1st unless we are making a run. I'm a fan of the quality in the 2014 draft.

Franson+ for Gio does sound promising though if the moving parts can fit somehow

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
TOGuy14

I like this deal for the Leafs.

I think at worst Toronto will a bottom playoff team so we will be picking around 16th. Calgary should be a bottom feeder so they will be top 5 prob, at least top 10.

The difference between the 16th OV pick and the 35-40th is fine with me for the cap space we clear up and the improvement we get from Giordano who is signed to a fair deal for the next few years.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

how bout we forget the nonsense

the value here is incredibly poor for a Leafs POV Mark Giordano may be the flames best Dman, that is much akin to being the worlds tallest midget

JM Liles to the Flames for Keegan Kanzig and a 6th 2014

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Why, that 2nd could be 30th overall this year. That move from 30th to mid 1st round is not worth what we are giving up.
Franson and Blacker could both end up being as good as Gio. I would take the risk.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
This was briefly discussed in another thread. Basically Toronto gets a bit better at the cost of a draft pick, Calgary gets younger at the cost of the slightly better defenseman. Liles needs to be in there for salary reasons.

To Calgary: Cody Franson, JM Liles, Joe Colborne, 2014 1st

To Toronto: Mark Giordano, 2nd 2014 or 2015 (Flames choice), Ryan Howse

Toronto gets their guy to stabilize the defense, Flames get younger players and a decent pick to help the rebuild. Liles, as mentioned, for salary purposes and Flames get Colborne to compensate for that. I dont really want to budge on the 2nd round pick, i know Flames would rather give up a 3rd instead, but the Leafs dont have a 2nd round pick in 2014 and with this trade wouldn't have a 1st. Howse included to keep Calgary away from the 50-contract limit.

Thoughts?
From TOR Perspective:

Cody Franson = Mark Giordano (When you take LD/RD & Franson looking for Giordano $)
Ryan Howse = No Value

JML, Colborne, & 1st for 2nd?

It won't cost that much to move JML. If it did, I would rather keep JML, Colborne & 1st and just trade Franson.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
western redmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
From TOR Perspective:

Cody Franson = Mark Giordano (When you take LD/RD & Franson looking for Giordano $)
Ryan Howse = No Value

JML, Colborne, & 1st for 2nd?

It won't cost that much to move JML. If it did, I would rather keep JML, Colborne & 1st and just trade Franson.
I'm sure franson is = to gio

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Sventastic47

I would do that for sure
Giordano>>Franson
House<<Liles
2nd<<1st
Nothing<<<Colborne

Sventastic47 is offline   Reply With Quote