HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center problem

Old
08-26-2013, 02:04 AM
The Human Torch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
All based on speculation that Nuge won't be ready to start the year. There doesn't seem to be any reason to think that. All you hear is that he is on schedule to start the year..... so not sure what the panic is.
The panic is that even with RNH in the lineup our depth at centre is paper-thin.

RNH
Gagner
Gordon
Lander/Acton/Smyth/Arcobello/???

That's f'ing ugly no matter how you look at it. 4th line is going to get murdered, but the Oiler Way™ is apparently to just throw whatever warm bodies are available on the 4th line regardless of ability.

One centre injury in somewhere and/or RNH not being able to start the season and we're toast. Again.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Sounds possible from this article, but you probably won't get a discount dealing with Slats.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/23/sa...s-his-thoughts
If we could ink him to an extension I'd overpay for him in a trade.

08-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If we could ink him to an extension I'd overpay for him in a trade.
What's an overpay?

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
All based on speculation that Nuge won't be ready to start the year. There doesn't seem to be any reason to think that. All you hear is that he is on schedule to start the year..... so not sure what the panic is.
Even with RNH we are weak down the center.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:45 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
The panic is that even with RNH in the lineup our depth at centre is paper-thin.

RNH
Gagner
Gordon

That's f'ing ugly no matter how you look at it. 4th line is going to get murdered, but the Oiler Way™ is apparently to just throw whatever warm bodies are available on the 4th line regardless of ability.

One centre injury in somewhere and/or RNH not being able to start the season and we're toast. Again.
With RNH healthy, I'm not sure why we're so concerned. Lander should be able to play 4th line minutes, and has NHL experience. With RNH out, Hall moves to center temporarily. We should be ok.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

RNH
Gagner
Gordon

If the fourth line is seeing proper fourth line minutes, it doesn't matter. The problem last year was Krueger played the fourth line way way too much. This team needs to lean on its thouroughbreds and not the ploughhorses.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If the fourth line is seeing proper fourth line minutes, it doesn't matter. The problem last year was Krueger played the fourth line way way too much. This team needs to lean on its thouroughbreds and not the ploughhorses.
That's if the team is healthy all year, we don't really have a plan b if Gordon goes down. I thought we learned last year when petrell and smyth both had to play center in a game. Not sure how it would hurt to have had another proven center on this club, even if it's just for ***** and giggles.

Only having one center that can win draws and play defensive hockey is going to end bad for this team. Not unless one of those other's can step up, but why take that risk in the first place?

Last edited by joestevens29: 08-26-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old
08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'd hope to go into the season with RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Steckel and even Smithson, with Lander in OKC. That way, we won't have to have wingers playing C due to injuries.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Wait a second. There's a lot of handwringing and wailing on here.

How do we know if Lander/Acton/Hamilton/Arcobello would be so awful for fourth line duties in the NHL?

At some point in time, we need to see if these guys can sink or swim - and I'm 100% unconvinced that a player like Jerrod Smithson is really ALL that much better than them. Is there really that much difference between playing well at the AHL level, and playing 4th line centre at the NHL?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Wait a second. There's a lot of handwringing and wailing on here.

How do we know if Lander/Acton/Hamilton/Arcobello would be so awful for fourth line duties in the NHL?

At some point in time, we need to see if these guys can sink or swim - and I'm 100% unconvinced that a player like Jerrod Smithson is really ALL that much better than them. Is there really that much difference between playing well at the AHL level, and playing 4th line centre at the NHL?
I agree with a lot of what you have to say here, but why not go out and get a guy that maybe is good enough to be a 3rd liner, but you instead play him as a 4th liner giving yourself good depth at one of the most important positions? Then if Lander or whoever steps up then you run into that great problem that teams like LA and Boston have, which is great center depth.

Old
08-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Musashi

I know many are against Taylor Hall moving to center, but I hope he can at least play some games there and gain some more experience at the center position. I still would like to try him permanently at center but even if we view him being a winger long term, it wouldn't hurt for him to have the experience and ability to fill in a center when injuries arise. Especially with our center depth.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:52 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
I know many are against Taylor Hall moving to center, but I hope he can at least play some games there and gain some more experience at the center position. I still would like to try him permanently at center but even if we view him being a winger long term, it wouldn't hurt for him to have the experience and ability to fill in a center when injuries arise. Especially with our center depth.
His latest interview it appears he's been told to work on draws, but he's made it clear he wants to be a winger and will fill the void while Nuge is out.

To me though Hall is more a fix for RNH or Gagner, who is this team's fix for Gordon?

Old
08-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you have to say here, but why not go out and get a guy that maybe is good enough to be a 3rd liner, but you instead play him as a 4th liner giving yourself good depth at one of the most important positions? Then if Lander or whoever steps up then you run into that great problem that teams like LA and Boston have, which is great center depth.
Fair enough - but who's available as veteran 3rd line centre?

David Steckel? Halpern? Malholtra?

Steckel - I've heard very negative things about from toronto - nil hockey sense, doubtful offense, faceoffs are the only good thing.

Halpern - is getting old - 3 pts in 46 games last year. that's not exactly a fourth line threat there.

Malholtra - Can he even play? The Canucks indicated that his health would be in jeopardy because he can't see out of one eye.

Who are the better options? I don't see a lot of great options. Grabovski was never going to come here to play 3/4th line.

Chris Vandevelde?

I'm fine with giving these guys a chance and seeing if they can swim. Lander? Arcobello and Miller are older prospects, having played in college. that's not a bad thing.

And keep an eye out for waivers.

Last edited by Master Lok: 08-26-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Musashi

Quote:
His latest interview it appears he's been told to work on draws, but he's made it clear he wants to be a winger and will fill the void while Nuge is out.

To me though Hall is more a fix for RNH or Gagner, who is this team's fix for Gordon?
I hope that's the case because that's what I was getting at if an injury happens to RNH or Gagner.

Replacing Gordon isn't as big of a concern for me. The difference between replacing Gagner or RNH with Gordon seems a lot bigger than replacing Gordon with one of Lander/Acton/Smyth imo.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
That's if the team is healthy all year, we don't really have a plan b if Gordon goes down. I thought we learned last year when petrell and smyth both had to play center in a game. Not sure how it would hurt to have had another proven center on this club, even if it's just for ***** and giggles.

Only having one center that can win draws and play defensive hockey is going to end bad for this team. Not unless one of those other's can step up, but why take that risk in the first place?
Who was Boston's fourth line centre? L.A's? I ask because I honestly couldn't tell you.

And no, depth doesn't hurt, but you still have to work within the cap, not to mention there's only so much ice time to go around. Do you see a lot of proven NHLers willing to take a proper fourth line role (meaning seven or eight minutes a night) on the off chance they can move up the depth chart in the event of an injury?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Dubnykov

you guys talking like the 4th line will make or break this club... the 4th line isn't that important, it's just a stop-gap so the top 2 lines can rest. I don't know why you guys are panicking with who is going to be the 4th centre

Dubnykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:56 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEric View Post
you guys talking like the 4th line will make or break this club... the 4th line isn't that important, it's just a stop-gap so the top 2 lines can rest. I don't know why you guys are panicking with who is going to be the 4th centre
Exactly, our 1-3 is solid, (though many hate Gagner), 4th line Centers are usually guys that just win a spot out of camp. I don't see any major weekness, sure it is nice to have a good one, but most good teams don't even know who their 4th line C is going into the year.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Bergeron47

Having 2 of our top 6 forwards playing out of position isn't exactly a good backup plan if....no, WHEN RNH or Gagner get injured.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Who was Boston's fourth line centre? L.A's? I ask because I honestly couldn't tell you.

And no, depth doesn't hurt, but you still have to work within the cap, not to mention there's only so much ice time to go around. Do you see a lot of proven NHLers willing to take a proper fourth line role (meaning seven or eight minutes a night) on the off chance they can move up the depth chart in the event of an injury?
It's funny, because not only are Gregory Campbell and Colin Fraser legitimate 4th line centers, but the fact that they're only marginally better than our options is overshadowed by the fact that both teams have far superior 4th line wingers.
Paille-Campbell-Thornton
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
Smyth-Acton-Brown

One of those lines is not like the others....

Old
08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
It's funny, because not only are Gregory Campbell and Colin Fraser legitimate 4th line centers, but the fact that they're only marginally better than our options is overshadowed by the fact that both teams have far superior 4th line wingers.
Paille-Campbell-Thornton
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
Smyth-Acton-Brown

One of those lines is not like the others....
Boston's 4th line is the best in the game. I wish we had a 4th line like that.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
oilexport

Well, considering that we lost out on Playoffs last year when all our c's got hurt (my opinion of course), we should have made a better push for upgrade. Arcobello is a real small guy is he not. They should have made a deal last year long before bringing in Smithson, and he was marginal.

Don't mind bringing in some Defence help but why so many ?? are we not going to lose some of these guys on waiver's anyhow ?? Don't so many 6-8 spot D-men take more options away from Center ??

oilexport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:54 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
It's not necessarily about who that 4th line center is, it's when that 4th line center becomes the 3rd or 2nd line center after a couple of injuries and there's nobody there to replace him. You know, kind of just exactly like last season.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
What's an overpay?
Hemsky at 1/2 salary +. Or Musil +.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:50 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
This is the attitude management has had that has kept our team in the basement. As long as we have skill in the top 6 we'll be sweet, right?

Old
08-27-2013, 04:54 AM
hellacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
This is the attitude management has had that has kept our team in the basement. As long as we have skill in the top 6 we'll be sweet, right?
Same attitude that got us Hallsy, Nuge, and Yak city. Chances are good "we'll be sweet" my friend.

Nobody said a rebuild is easy. I think maybe one should be happy with what has transpired and sit back and enjoy the show. As they say "Rome was not built in a day!" or even 7 years.

Those same teams you are jealous over their fourth line would trade rosters happily right now...

hellacious is online now   Reply With Quote