Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: NHL Gamecenter thoughts?

Old
08-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
I've had GCL for the past couple of years.

The PS3 app is okay but not ideal. The stream isn't smooth.

However, the iPad and iPhone app are very good. Especially the iPad app. I use it a lot on when I am away from home and it works great even when using 3G instead of wifi.

Where the service shines though is on a PC. It has great quality and loads of features like multi game view.

The only downside is having to use VPN and some networks don't allow NHL.com to show their between periods content. TSN Jets is one of those networks.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:36 PM
knorthern knight

One more thing to emphasize, there is a 30 to 45 second lag on Gamecenter Live, at least on the PC version. Either that, or else many posters on this board are psychic . I would do fast refreshes on this board, and guys would be posting "OH ****". Several seconds later I would see Pavalec let in a softie.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney Regan View Post
I've had GCL for the past couple of years.

The PS3 app is okay but not ideal. The stream isn't smooth.

However, the iPad and iPhone app are very good. Especially the iPad app. I use it a lot on when I am away from home and it works great even when using 3G instead of wifi.

Where the service shines though is on a PC. It has great quality and loads of features like multi game view.

The only downside is having to use VPN and some networks don't allow NHL.com to show their between periods content. TSN Jets is one of those networks.
Yeah the app on my android phone and tablet is wonderful. Computer is pretty good and PS3 is iffy.

08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 500
What I found to be the pros and cons of GCL

Pros:
-watch anywhere ability was huge. I can watch games on my bigscreen with the Apple TV, I could watch games on my desktop computer, I could watch games out on the deck with my tablet. Hell I used an iPod Touch to watch games while I was on holiday in Brazil!
-cost is very, very reasonable for what you get

Cons:
-no pre-game, no post-game, no intermissions, no commercials. I missed them. You might think listening to Sarah Orlesky is bad, but it's better than a "The game will return shortly" message.
-delay. Made surfing these forums impossible. You'd have every goal spoiler 30 secs before it happens on your screen.
-occasional connection trouble. Not common, but it would happen.

I think I'll stick with GCL, but I had to think about it.

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:09 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
What I found to be the pros and cons of GCL

Pros:
-watch anywhere ability was huge. I can watch games on my bigscreen with the Apple TV, I could watch games on my desktop computer, I could watch games out on the deck with my tablet. Hell I used an iPod Touch to watch games while I was on holiday in Brazil!
-cost is very, very reasonable for what you get

Cons:
-no pre-game, no post-game, no intermissions, no commercials. I missed them. You might think listening to Sarah Orlesky is bad, but it's better than a "The game will return shortly" message.
-delay. Made surfing these forums impossible. You'd have every goal spoiler 30 secs before it happens on your screen.
-occasional connection trouble. Not common, but it would happen.

I think I'll stick with GCL, but I had to think about it.
I had GCL for a year because at the time MTS didn't have Centre Ice. The connection always had trouble. I emailed them and said stop using the same bandwidth for all of your tablets, Ps3's, etc and they blamed it on my internet connection. Okay then. It works fine for every other live video except NHL.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:03 AM
MrGrinch

I used GCL on my android tablets with very mixed results. So ended up just subscribing to NHLCI through my satellite provider and picked up a Slingbox 500. Now I can get games practically anywhere. If anyone is ever planning on going this route and wants to try Slingbox out send me a PM and can give you temporary access.

MrGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Brainstrained

I live in NE Ontario and have used Gamecentre for the past two years.

There is definitely a lag in the TSN feed, and I miss the pre- and post-game shows, as well as intermission breaks.

I do watch the opponent feed some times for the breaks, but often I'll just switch to watch a different game for 10 minutes and catch up on scores elsewhere.

I haven't had much problems in quality or connections. I usually watch on the big screen using Apple TV, but when I'm on the road I use a laptop or iPad.

I will likely renew this year because there's not a lot of alternatives for me. I could and did the start of the first year find free online streaming, but the quality is generally poor and it's often the TSN feed anyways.

Brainstrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:06 PM
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!

actually can anyone tell me if the choppiness in 360/PS3 apps is also present for archived games as well?

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
actually can anyone tell me if the choppiness in 360/PS3 apps is also present for archived games as well?
Archive games play like buttah

Old
09-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Aavco Cup

A question

Does the service determine your local blackout area from your billing address or IP address? In other words can I use this service to watch Jet games while travelling?

Last edited by Aavco Cup: 09-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 05:16 PM
J Canuck
Canuck Lifer

IP address. I used TUNLR and never had a game blocked. They would have blacked out every single playoff game otherwise.

J Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
A question

Does the service determine your local blackout area from your billing address or IP address? In other words can I use this service to watch Jet games while travelling?
Your IP address. So yes you'd be able to use it to watch the Jets if you travel outside the coverage area.

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:36 PM
bek816

Would it be possible for two people to share Game Center kinda like how you can share a Netflix account?

bek816 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:45 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek816 View Post
Would it be possible for two people to share Game Center kinda like how you can share a Netflix account?
Not at the same time - my experience is that if you login one place, it logs you out at the other. You can run it on as many devices as you want, but you can only have one active machine per account at a time.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Not at the same time - my experience is that if you login one place, it logs you out at the other. You can run it on as many devices as you want, but you can only have one active machine per account at a time.
Yeah. It won't even let me watch one game on my PC and another on my iPad at the same time.

Old
09-08-2013, 10:54 PM
bek816

Ah ok - thanks guys!

bek816 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Hammer Slammer

Yeah I sent my login to my friend because he wanted to watch a different game. When someone else logs in after you, you will get booted within 5 minutes.

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:16 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
I know this is a First world problem But my main issue was that there was a 5 second Lag and Jets score your Phone starts blowin up lol Gets annoying
The lag was the only problem. I had to turn my phone on silent during games. Otherwise, no problems. I use Roku btw.

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Maybe it's different in Canada but we had 3 devices running different games at the same time on the same account.

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote