HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What's your story about meeting an NHL Star?

Old
08-17-2013, 08:35 PM
kolankosf

vCash: 500
What's your story about meeting an NHL Star?

I had a couple cool run-ins with soon to be stars and former stars. I used to live in SW Ontario, but have recently moved to Alberta. I was wondering what stories other people may have. Especially since most of the users here seem to be in the PA area, it would be cool to hear some stories from everyone. Even if you met these guys at an autograph signing or something.

Anyways, I'll repost this story that had just happened last week:

Cool Story #1

My wife and I decided to take our boy a half hour down the road to Sylvan Lake,AB. Found this cool hockey memorabilia store that people at my work have been talking about. 2 old guys and a few other people came in about 2 minutes after we entered with the stroller. The 2 old guys were playing with our boy, pinching his cheeks and stuff, and then the taller guy stood up and told us how handsome the boy was, and introduced himself, Pete Mahovlich! The shorter guy said to us "Where's my manners, pleased to meet you, Marcel Dionne."

My favourite story of all-time so far: During the summer of 2004, I was living in Cambridge, Ontario (about 10 mins from Kitchener, home of OHL's Kitchener Rangers) and I just started learning to play hockey (at 20 years old). There was a player there that was wearing a grey jersey with a Flyers logo on it. I thought it was pretty cool, because I was just getting back into following hockey after a brief break, and I liked the Flyers. Everyone started freaking out and started putting on light coloured jerseys. I only had my dark jersey on but I didn't care to much. I kept hearing whispers of Kitchener Rangers Captain and that this guy was drafted by the Flyers. Buddy said he'd count as dark. I couldn't skate very well, but I hustled. I stopped by crashing into the boards, and no one passed to me, if they did, I passed it right back.

As I got to the bench with 15 minutes left in the pick up game, this guy told me to skate with my stick on the ice at the left goal post when we crossed the blue line. As we crossed, he yelled Go! and off I went, and I kept thinking... when is he going to pass my the puck? Just as I got to the top of the crease, this guy let a bullet rip through the traffic, it ricocheted off my stick, and off the crossbar and in. I then promptly dodged the net, and crashed into the boards. I thanked him for getting me, my first actual goal (even if it was a pick up game). He was a pretty cool guy. I asked his name because I'd like to follow him as he goes through the NHL and I heard he got drafted by my favourite team. He told me he still had a bit to go, but he introduced himself to me as Mike Richards

Probably the only real story I'll have to share in my entire life...

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
lancer247

story 1 - High school kid playing street hockey in South Phila when two guys driving an IROC or Vette start heckling us. We start yelling back so they pull up and get out. It was Tocchett and Zezel. They take some shots and sign sticks. Cool story that I have told before

Story 2 - Gagne's rookie season and he is signing autographs at a function for my work. The Flyer's marketing rep drops him off and bolts so I was assigned to sit with him as he signed and to show how to get back to I-95. I spent 3-4 hours hanging with a quiet but very nice young guy that signed everything put in front of him. We talked a little hockey. I think he was surprised that I knew as much about him as I did.

Story 3 - My buddies and I are hanging at Plough and Stars in Olde City in 1997 or 1998 and we see Karl Dyhuis at the bar. We thought he was there with a group of guys but when we left he jumped in the cab with us and went to an after hours club-Deco. He hung with us for a couple of hours before guys started giving him crap for the Flyers losing to the Leafs in the playoffs. He took off without leaving any dough for the tab but he was getting his stones broken pretty bad. It was just weird how we looked up and he was getting in the cab with us like he went out by himself that night.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Kevin Danko

vCash: 897
Not me directly, but my older brother is a goalie, and is actually really decent...anyway in the ninety's Karl Dykhuis was at a local rink doing some type of camp with a nother flyer, maybe therien....But my brothers like 10 at the time, and dressed in all his gear. My Dad (Who frequently was "psycho hockey dad") asked Dykhuis in the nicest possible way to light the **** out of my unsuspecting brother with a slapper....he did.

The other flyer did the same. Brother stopped em both. Most badass day of my brothers life.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 08:49 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

A couple of stories with regards to meeting NHLers.

The first time I met a group of NHLers was during the 94 - 95 strike shortened year. I was at a bar in downtown Ottawa and met Alex Daigle there. We were joking about the lockout and I made a crack about how he can afford to drink when he isn't working. He had a good laugh about that and in general, was a real nice guy.

The second time I met an NHL was 1999 in Ottawa again. This time, it was John LeClair, who was shopping in the Rideau Center. I met him before going into Harry Rosen's and asked him if he could sign my Flyers hat that I had at the time. Very nice guy and loved the fact he could walk around the city, very few people noticed him and those who did, were very polite.

The third time was in London and I was walking home from work one morning and Dale Hunter was riding into the John Labatt Centre on a bicycle. At the time, there was a kid named Pat Maroon who was joining the Knights and they were very excited about him. Dale saw that I had a Flyers hat and we talked quite a bit about the Flyers. Good guy and I could see why the Flyers at one time were interested in Hunter as a head coach.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Broad Street Elite

Was at McFadden's off Spring Garden back in 2005 after a day game against the Wild. Was hanging at the back bar where it was a little more relaxed (still early in the evening) when this dude comes up next to me to order from the bar. I look to my left and its Donald Brashear. Of course, I did a double take and immediately introduced myself. I shook Brashear's bear claw... err hand and he commented on his fists hurting after he fought Boogard in the game and punched his helmet a couple times.

He turned and introduced me to his friends and I about fell out of my chair. Mike Richards is standing there is his frat boy camouflage and against the wall talking to a couple ladies is Peter Forsberg sipping a Corona. I won't pretend that I hung out with them all night or something because, well, I wasn't what they were there for. Did a couple rounds of jello shots with them until other people started to recognize and swarm them. They left about 20 minutes later.

Other funny stories... met Tood McCulloch in a elevator going to HUP. Never seen a dude squat in an elevator before to fit. Met Freddie Mitchell at Delilahs one night. We actually didn't recognize him right away since it was dark and he was at the table section next to ours.... We only caught on when we went over to complain about all of the "entertainers" bypassing our section and heading straight for his. He was a nice guy at the end of the day. Finally, talked to CWebb about his Bentley when he pulled up to a hotel as we were walking by late one night.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:32 AM
DickTony

Ed Hospodar is an old buddy of my dad's (and, briefly, former coach of mine) from back in his playing days, and despite his on ice persona a very nice guy. When I was 12 or 13 years old my younger brother and I went to one of the alumni games he was involved with in Bucks County. I believe they ended up playing a bunch of pizza boys and firefighters, and I distinctly remember Dave Schultz lighting one of them up after a few "friendly" stick taps to the shins.

After the game, Hospodar was one of the first guys out of the locker room and signing autographs. My brother and I managed to get to him pretty early on, and when he saw us he told us to wait a few minutes and that he'd introduce us to the rest of the guys (this particular alumni team was pretty stacked, by the way). After a few more autographs he motions for us to follow him into the locker room. We enter, and are immediately greeted by the sight of a completely naked Dave Schultz. He barked at us to "get the hell out!", which of course we did. Two minutes later, he personally brought my brother and I back into the room and signed jerseys for both of us, all the while telling us to focus on power skating and "leave the goon stuff to chumps like Eddie over here". I didn't fully grasp how cool the moment was until it was all over.

In conclusion, Dave Schultz is a great guy when fully clothed.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

took a piss at a bar next to Eric Staal

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
The Couturier Effect

Wow my stories are pretty lame compared to these

When I was starting to play hockey as a kid, I took some lessons with Michel Petit. I don't remember a whole lot, but I do remember him teaching me to lean into the boards when someone's about to hit me so they bounce off. Pretty cool experience.

I guess this isn't really an NHLer, but when I was in the bathroom at Operation Hat Trick back in November, Coatsey walked in (hammered of course). He disappeared in the crowd before I could say hi. I had a good laugh with my friends over it.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 01:24 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Not my story but one of my good friends told me about how when he was a kid in the 90's he was skiing in Sun Valley Idaho and ran right into another skier. When they both get up my buddy starts to apologise, and the guy removes his face mask and it's Wayne Gretzky. Apparently he was totally cool about it...told my friend not to worry about it, and that he'd been hit harder than that before.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolankosf View Post
As I got to the bench with 15 minutes left in the pick up game, this guy told me to skate with my stick on the ice at the left goal post when we crossed the blue line. As we crossed, he yelled Go! and off I went, and I kept thinking... when is he going to pass my the puck? Just as I got to the top of the crease, this guy let a bullet rip through the traffic, it ricocheted off my stick, and off the crossbar and in. I then promptly dodged the net, and crashed into the boards. I thanked him for getting me, my first actual goal (even if it was a pick up game). He was a pretty cool guy. I asked his name because I'd like to follow him as he goes through the NHL and I heard he got drafted by my favourite team. He told me he still had a bit to go, but he introduced himself to me as Mike Richards

Probably the only real story I'll have to share in my entire life...
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Earliest memory of meeting a star hockey player was Bobby Hull in Winnipeg..dude hit on my mom at the mall ! No lie! He gave me his autograph though and rubbed my head. I was about 4 years old. He tried to use me to get to my mom

Other than that just ran into players at your typical autograph sessions or at the Flyers practice facility or at hockey camps.

I did run into Bill Clement at the Oxford Valley Mall in Bucks..very nice guy..held the door for me and I just said thanks...he said you're welcome

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:39 AM
galvo

My dad somehow knew Ed Hospodar and I was able to go into the Flyers locker room when I was a wee lad. Apparently it was during an actual game and someone had gotten cut and had to go back to the locker room. My dad says there was blood everywhere but I can't remember one bit of that day

I don't remember the only WWF event I went to as a child either I vaguely remember Undertaker and Yokozuna. My dad says Razor Ramon flicked his toothpick at me but I don't recall a damn thing.

galvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
took a piss at a bar next to Eric Staal
Go on...

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:09 AM
fauxflex

Met Bobby Clarke in the 70s when he made appearances at Cherryford Day Camp (which later became Bobby Clarke's daycamp)...I was probably like 5-6 yrs old. I hung out with his son Wade a bit while there.

Also in the 70s, we had family friends that lived in Cherry Hill, apparently near Dave Schultz...saw him in the neighborhood over the summer a couple of times, he invited us for lunch at his place one time...I don't remember much more than that.

During senior yr in High School I was working at a drug store in Moorestown...I did deliveries, and often delivered to Mark Howe's residence, but hadn't met the guy. One day in the store he strolls in with his young son...I was excited and asked my boss if I could ask him for his autograph. My boss was like "calm down...these people come here because we treat them well and with respect..." or something like that...so I calmed down, went up and introduced myself, told him I was a big fan etc. He was nice as can be...very soft spoken...signed for me and had his young son (I think it was Nolan) try and say hi.

A few yrs ago I saw "Furthur" (the remnants of the Grateful Dead) at the Mann in Pa...during setbreak I was waiting in line for a beer and overheared these guys talking right behind me. One of them was saying somethjing like "yeah, well the Flyers treated me really well..." I did a quick turn to look and didn't really recognize the guy...so a moment later I turned around and asked him if he was just talking about the Flyers...and he said yes...I asked if he worked for them or something and he said yeah I played for them...I apologized and asked what his name was...he said "Jim Dowd"...I was like "ohhh, Jimmy Dowd! Wow, (shook his hand) that's right!" I told him I was so used to him being the enemy Devils, but enjoyed his time as a Flyer... he chuckled and said his time with the Flyers was a good experience and how they're a great organization etc. I snapped a pic with him, we were getting close to the counter in line...he kind of positions himself ahead of me and asks what I wanted...I was surprised and said a beer would be great...then he's like what do you want to eat? I said "hot dog"...he bought beers and hot dogs for me and another guy...he then told me to follow him to his seats where he introduced me to his wife...(I think I spit a bit of hotdog I was chewing on her...doh!). Cool dude with good taste in music.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
LetsBeReality

I've partied with Jeremy Roenick during the Olympics.

Had drinks and talked hockey with a couple of the owners of the Canucks in San Jose after big play off win.

Been to Burrow's house a couple times with Hansen, Raymond and a couple others.

The best time was with JR during the Olympics. He's a champ. Absolutely hilarious.

LetsBeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Simon Gagne used to be my neighbor. We talked fairly often. Got to hold his Gold Medal from 2002.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
I've partied with Jeremy Roenick during the Olympics.

Had drinks and talked hockey with a couple of the owners of the Canucks in San Jose after big play off win.

Been to Burrow's house a couple times with Hansen, Raymond and a couple others.

The best time was with JR during the Olympics. He's a champ. Absolutely hilarious.

Boston fan here. In 1994, I flew to Chicago to see a game in the old Stadium before it closed. The day after the game(a Sunday matinee against the Blues), I ended up flying out of O' Hare on the same plane as the Hawks(to Detroit). Before the flight, JR was kind enough to sign my game ticket.

P.S. So, how many folks showed up to watch the paint dry?

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:17 PM
JustJim

I meet several players each week where I work....

....but I will never forget seeing Ian Laperriere a day after his final face injury. I'm a chef in a high end food market near Philly, and Lappy shops there with his kids constantly, so on that day he was by himself. I used to play defense myself, many years ago before helmets and protective head gear was worn, so I've sustained 24 concussions throughout my life.
I approached Lappy and looked at the severe bruising along with the stitches and staples holding his eyebrow together, and told him how worried I was when I saw it happen. He smiled and thanked me for my concern. I then told him, "ya know Lappy, I've suffered through 24 concussions myself, so I think it's time to wear a face shield."....his response in perfect rough Lappy accent, " hey, de doctor say it wasn't a concussion, he say it was a contusion!"... I told him, " Lappy, a contusion is often accompanied with a concussion"..... then he said with his usual grin, " hey, it doesn't matter if it was a concussion, it happened in the front of my brain.....I don't use it anyway!"
We both laughed, I shook his hand and wished him all of the best of luck in his recovery. He has since officially retired from playing and is working for the Flyers in player development.
He still stops by to visit me when he and his kids are in the store. He is probably the nicest professional athlete I've ever met!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Simon Gagne used to be my neighbor. We talked fairly often. Got to hold his Gold Medal from 2002.
Did you get to drive his Lamborghini too?

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:16 PM
FLYERS67

I was at a deli/bar in the Philadelphia Airport in 1997 having some lunch with my
wife and daughter when in walks Mike Keenan. Well my wife being a Flyers
fan and I knew who it was right away!! So I walked over to him as he was
sitting at the bar and on the TV was the Flyers-Rangers playoff game. So
I introduced myself and sat down next to him and ordered a couple of beers
and talked about the game, Since he had coached both teams I asked him
who he thought would win,but he didn't answer. So I sat and talked to him
for about 20 minutes when he had to go catch his flight. He checked out this
very hot twentysomething girls in a mini and said goodbye. In the same deli
was a Rangers fan wearing a hat. I said to him "Did you know who that was?"
and he didn't have a clue who it was so I told him that was the guy who
coached the Rangers to the Stanley Cup in 1994. Typical Rangers fan!!

FLYERS67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Met a few guys over the years but the two funniest ones involved nba guys.

I met Rodman in the midst of his bizarre antics stage. We were on a plane to vegas but the seats were too small for him so he just stood in the back where the waitresses get drinks from.

I was young at the time and i asked for his autograph on a 3x5 card as he was surrounded by guys just talking to him. He bent over signed my card and asked me who my favriote player was. I said Charles Barkley and he said charles is a great player and a great guy. He then asked me a series of questions about who i was and where i was from . Easily the most personable celebrity i have ever encountered.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 06:51 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
Boston fan here. In 1994, I flew to Chicago to see a game in the old Stadium before it closed. The day after the game(a Sunday matinee against the Blues), I ended up flying out of O' Hare on the same plane as the Hawks(to Detroit). Before the flight, JR was kind enough to sign my game ticket.

P.S. So, how many folks showed up to watch the paint dry?
195. Have no idea if that's a new record or not.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-20-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote/bold
MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Legion of Goon
Suck it Phuffneuf

vCash: 934
I was at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair at the CNE in the early 70's and saw Gordie Howe, Howie Meeker, Jean Beliveau, and Johnny Bower standing around so My mom took me up to them i had a Howe card on me and I got him to sign it and the others signed a small piece of paper, it was cool to meet them, nit sure what they were doing there.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
One of the more memorable encounters I've had with an NHL star was meeting Steve Shutt, the former Canadien. I was about 12 years old and asked him to sign a picture. He signed it 'Best Wish'.

I only get one, Steve?

08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

I only get one, Steve?
Make it count.