HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaspar Sent Down

Old
11-09-2006, 02:09 PM
NYRBLUE 74

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and a good guy to have in the locker room - kind of like having a clown at a rodeo. His skills have continually diminished over the years and the pounding has taken a toll on his body and he's had a hard time staying healthy. He played well last season, and had to make up for a lot of Toots' mistakes. He just hasn't been able to put it together this season and won't be any more than a third pair defenseman if he cracks the NHL again (which essentially is what he was last season). Further, this guy's expensive!
You know..they were some pretty serious injuries kasper and JJ went through and the road back as been a little tough for both. J J is well on is way back from his (not to many bangs over the years) injury. Kasper I think will never recover.

The cap is a good point....we can get way under again. Anyways who do we have in the system you like to see up. What kid? maybe Danny Girardi?

Last edited by NYRBLUE 74: 11-09-2006 at 02:38 PM.
NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

You get what you pay for Fletch, everyone knew that the length of Kaspar's contract would be an issue and Sather did it anyway. And now he gets paid by the Rangers until he chooses to retire. At least he'll be a good influence on the kids.

As for who I'd like to see brought up (and actually play) is Baranka. He looked best in pre-season and has a little snarl to his game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Fletch

I saw Baranka a few times..

last season and noticed the snarl. He was steady in preason. Seemed to try to keep it simple. Is he hurt though?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 04:32 PM
NYRBLUE 74

Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
last season and noticed the snarl. He was steady in preason. Seemed to try to keep it simple. Is he hurt though?
Ivan was not listed in last night's lineup. Ivan must be...unless he's a scratch. Yea.. he did have a good preseason camp. Has more skill then most...I forgot about him to tell ya the truth.
I say call him up and get'em some minutes. We need fresh legs always. If we keep playing our top guys at 25to30 minutes a game will they have it down the stretch?

Not going to happen anytime soon.. They'll ride the d-man pairings for as long as they can.... The new work horse...Sandy? Renney's in love with him. I must admit he's been one of our better players of late.

Last edited by NYRBLUE 74: 11-09-2006 at 04:40 PM.
NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Baranka has a broken finger, out indefinitely.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Fletch

He's played...

in seven games of the 12 or 13 this season. So he's been out sometime.

Old
11-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Too bad about Baranka.

Old
11-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Fletch

That's the way....

Ivan ended last season...without these little injuries, I have little doubt he'd be ready for NHL play - or perhaps it's a good thing he's not playing because we all would be frustrated watching him in Hartford when he seemingly could be playing in the NHL.

Old
11-10-2006, 07:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
You get what you pay for Fletch, everyone knew that the length of Kaspar's contract would be an issue and Sather did it anyway. And now he gets paid by the Rangers until he chooses to retire. At least he'll be a good influence on the kids.

As for who I'd like to see brought up (and actually play) is Baranka. He looked best in pre-season and has a little snarl to his game.
The length of the Kasparaitis contract hasn't stopped Ranger fans from proposing signing other free agents such as Zdeno Chara or clamoring for Bryan McCabe who both received 5 year deals

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 07:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Baranka has a fractured left pinky.He was injured two weeks ago.The Hartford Wolfpack site says it's either a three week injury or he will return in three weeks

Old
11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Fletch

That's right, Rangerboy...

of course, it's going to be difficult to get by even in this new cap era by signing guys to 2 year contracts. That'll catch up to you eventually. There are some guys you have to take a risk on. Kaspar was interesting because first, we all knew he was overpaid, and second, if I remember correctly, he hadn't exactly been stellar in his previous two seasons as a Ranger. I think most in here thought he'd be bought-out.

Old
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The length of the Kasparaitis contract hasn't stopped Ranger fans from proposing signing other free agents such as Zdeno Chara or clamoring for Bryan McCabe who both received 5 year deals
Where did my post talk about what Ranger fans were proposing? And I seriously doubt there were many Ranger fans who were "clamoring" to give Kaspar a 6 year contract. In retrospect Sather made two mistakes--he signed Kaspar for too many years and then didn't buy him out when he had the chance. It's too bad--because Kaspar is a real standup guy, who've I've always liked--but it's the truth.

Old
11-10-2006, 03:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Where did my post talk about what Ranger fans were proposing? And I seriously doubt there were many Ranger fans who were "clamoring" to give Kaspar a 6 year contract. In retrospect Sather made two mistakes--he signed Kaspar for too many years and then didn't buy him out when he had the chance. It's too bad--because Kaspar is a real standup guy, who've I've always liked--but it's the truth.
Well said as always, Brook.

11-10-2006, 03:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
At the time,Sather was being criticized by the fans and the media for not signing the big time free agents.You had the John Dellapinas and Rick Carpinellos of the world writing Sather needed to make a splash to improve the team.They were both big Neil Smith supporters and wanted Sather to act like Neil.They wrote free agents didn't want to play for the Rangers with Sather at the helm.How free agents wanted to play for the Rangers when Neil was at the helm.How Neil made the Rangers the team free agents wanted to join.How Sather wasn't prepared for the start of free agency in 2001.Missed out of the Rob Blake's,Joe Sakic's,etc.Wasn't able to complete the Jaromir Jagr deal.Eric Lindros turned out to be humpty dumpty.Many Rangers fans shared those opinions.Sather responded by giving Kasparaitis a six year deal and Holik a five year deal in 2002.Both contracts were disasters.If you look back since the start of group III free agency in the NHL which started with the previous CBA,most of the contracts are bad contracts.My point was the Kasparaitis 6 year deal should be sticker shock for any similiar contracts

Old
11-10-2006, 03:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
At the time,Sather was being criticized by the fans and the media for not signing the big time free agents.You had the John Dellapinas and Rick Carpinellos of the world writing Sather needed to make a splash to improve the team.They were both big Neil Smith supporters and wanted Sather to act like Neil.They wrote free agents didn't want to play for the Rangers with Sather at the helm.How free agents wanted to play for the Rangers when Neil was at the helm.How Neil made the Rangers the team free agents wanted to join.How Sather wasn't prepared for the start of free agency in 2001.Missed out of the Rob Blake's,Joe Sakic's,etc.Wasn't able to complete the Jaromir Jagr deal.Eric Lindros turned out to be humpty dumpty.Many Rangers fans shared those opinions.Sather responded by giving Kasparaitis a six year deal and Holik a five year deal in 2002.Both contracts were disasters.If you look back since the start of group III free agency in the NHL which started with the previous CBA,most of the contracts are bad contracts.My point was the Kasparaitis 6 year deal should be sticker shock for any similiar contracts
What does what the media writing have to do with what the fans say?

Kaspar is different from someone like McCabe or Chara. Kaspar is a one-dimensional player who was sure to break down because of the way he plays. And if he's not going to play all out and on the edge, his effectiveness is more or less zero.

The other two you mentioned are much different players.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote