HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

In-season training

Old
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
ConoR187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
In-season training

This summer i've been doing a routine around heavy compound lifts (DL, Squat, Bench, etc.) but I know I can not continue this once tryouts start, due to the fact that I wont have as much energy for the ice. Also, when I'm sore from squats or deads I tend to hunch forward more or have bad skating posture, due to soreness, and that sometimes leads to discomfort/bad performance. I would like to continue doing these lifts, but I know I may have to sacrifice one or two to not over work myself.

Anyone have any routines to share that they follow during the season? I practice on Wednesdays, with games on Friday and Saturday.

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:50 AM
sanityplease

This is a bit older, but very informative & still relevant. Gives you some guidelines to customize your own program. My yearly cycle has been very similar to this for years.

http://performancetrainingsystems.ne...0-%20Final.pdf

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:44 PM
ConoR187

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
This is a bit older, but very informative & still relevant. Gives you some guidelines to customize your own program. My yearly cycle has been very similar to this for years.

http://performancetrainingsystems.ne...0-%20Final.pdf
can you give me a tl;dr of this?

Old
08-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

From what I've learnt/been taught (incl. IIHF OPM) the best thing to do over a yearly cycle is this...

Go big in the off-season and MAINTAIN that during the season... E.g. you squat 100kg at the end of the off season, instead of trying to improve you want to make sure you can still squat 100kg.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:59 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
can you give me a tl;dr of this?
lol, o.k. The in-season section is only two pages long.

Go to page 7 (part of the paper that deals with in-season training)

Customize table 7 to fit your playing/practicing schedule. If you have other questions, look @ tables 8,9 & 10 or read pages 7 & 8.

Old
08-27-2013, 01:02 PM
ConoR187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
From what I've learnt/been taught (incl. IIHF OPM) the best thing to do over a yearly cycle is this...

Go big in the off-season and MAINTAIN that during the season... E.g. you squat 100kg at the end of the off season, instead of trying to improve you want to make sure you can still squat 100kg.
right.. but do i still need to lift heavy 3 days a week for lower body if im in season? thats what my concern and basis for questions is because i never changed routines last year and i would often play sore/fatigued

Old
08-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Yeah, still lift at your heavy weight(s) but don't look to improve/add weight.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:27 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
right.. but do i still need to lift heavy 3 days a week for lower body if im in season? thats what my concern and basis for questions is because i never changed routines last year and i would often play sore/fatigued
For your in-season phase, I'd lift once a week if you're on the ice 3 days a week (with the goal to maintain strength levels) & introduce a weekly plyo routine.

Your in-season priority is muscle strength, power, and endurance maintenance & injury prevention.

Old
08-27-2013, 04:42 PM
ConoR187

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
For your in-season phase, I'd lift once a week if you're on the ice 3 days a week (with the goal to maintain strength levels) & introduce a weekly plyo routine.

Your in-season priority is muscle strength, power, and endurance maintenance & injury prevention.
thanks for the help guys...

when you say once a week i assume you mean compound lower body movements (squat/dl/front squat), would lifting upper body regularly really have any effect?

also anyone have any experience lifting and playing on the same day? due to college schedule i might have to lift on practice days