HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Leipsic

Old
08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
XxPRODxX

vCash: 500
Brendan Leipsic

Well this guy has shown great skill at the junior level and was pretty good at the development camp. I don't think he'll make the Preds this year do to his last year of eligibility in the WHL. People seem to have mix emotions about him. Last year he did show a great scoring touch by winning the scoring title. To me he resembles Brad Marchand with a bit more scoring ability.

GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG Pt/G PIM/G
68 49 71 120 +55 103 13 2 1.76 1.51

So what your guys thoughts on this guy

XxPRODxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Ive expressed my doubts before... and as I have said ad nauseum Tootoo was a great scorer in the WHL....

so Im thinking he may make it and be good but its also probably true that:

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 08-27-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: language inappropriate for HF
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's nothing like Tootoo. Tootoo in junior skated across the blueline and ripped a slaphot by the goalies. Brendan has hands like Hornqvist but is a far better skater.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:45 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

he also has similar numbers to legwand...

Kid has skill, much more the Tootoo

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:54 PM
XxPRODxX

I don't think Tootoo is a very good comparison. In Tootoos 4 year with the Brandon Wheat Kings his most points in a season was 74.

Leipsic had 120 pts in 4 more games than Tootoo. Leipsic also has one more year of eligibility in the WHL which he might have another great season if he doesn't make the Preds roster.

XxPRODxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Still a long way to go with Leipsic. He'll probably spend another year in juniors, then at least a year in Milwaukee. Possibly two. Looking good so far though. I really want to see him make Canada's squad so we can see him play among the best of his peers. Will be a big test for him.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 07:26 PM
thecloser

Leipsic is gonna be real nice. I cant wait.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 08:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He's nothing like Tootoo. Tootoo in junior skated across the blueline and ripped a slaphot by the goalies. Brendan has hands like Hornqvist but is a far better skater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
he also has similar numbers to legwand...

Kid has skill, much more the Tootoo
I will certainly defer to your assessments....

I was mainly looking for a reason to use that clip... too bad I couldnt change "skills" to "stats from junior"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'm excited about this kid but understand it'll still be awhile until he makes the big show.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Byrddog

I have been following this kid on twitter for over a year. A few things I have picked up. He and Seth jones are tight. He loves Winnipeg. Hates travel and especially layovers. He has VERY little to say about Nashville. He had one tweet the day before leaving for camp here mentioning Nashville nothing after that. The one concern may be nothing is that he like to party a lot. Numerous posts about it, again may be nothing.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:03 AM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I have been following this kid on twitter for over a year. A few things I have picked up. He and Seth jones are tight. He loves Winnipeg. Hates travel and especially layovers. He has VERY little to say about Nashville. He had one tweet the day before leaving for camp here mentioning Nashville nothing after that. The one concern may be nothing is that he like to party a lot. Numerous posts about it, again may be nothing.
i've seen much of the same. i too, follow him.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Leipsic had 46 more points than Tootoo did in his final WHL season....

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 06:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah in Tootoo's 3rd WHL season he had 71 points. Leipsic's 3rd season he had 71 assist, 120 points.

Old
08-26-2013, 07:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Leipsic is an outstanding scorer at the junior level. He has a lot to do before that translates to the NHL.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 06:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've heard that as well but don't know if I understand it. He's scores a lot of goals close, bangs in rebounds and a lot from wristers in the slot.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:07 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I've heard that as well but don't know if I understand it. He's scores a lot of goals close, bangs in rebounds and a lot from wristers in the slot.
It's one thing to maximize talent against teenagers, most of whom never advance past the WHL ... that's a feat Tootoo managed to pull off offensively. It's a different matter to get space and time against NHL caliber defenders and corral rebounds from NHL goalies.

The talent and offensive fire are there. I see a definite need for him to work hard with the strength and conditioning coaches so he can hold his own against AHL and NHL sized defenders in the greasy areas and take the beatings of that come with going to the slot. He'll need to continue to work on his quickness and reaction times to deal with defenders and goalies that can close lanes and apparent shooting holes much faster than the kids he faces now.

I don't want him to follow the career path of Casey Pierro-Zabotel ... 115 pts in the WHL, now spending most of his time in the ECHL with the occasional callups to the AHL. Tyler Johnson and Linden Vey both put up 115+ pts in the WHL in 10-11, now have 14 NHL games combined at ages 22 and 23. Johnson and Vey are putting up decent AHL numbers in their two seasons since juniors ... doing that work needed to advance to the next level that Leipsic needs also ... and following similar career paths to what we can best hope for out of Leipsic. Play every year of junior eligibility, go to the AHL for 2-3 years, then maybe start seeing some NHL ice. If he negotiates those progress gates faster, great ... but I'm not counting on it.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:26 AM
glenngineer

From watching him at camp he reminded me of what Sully and Kariya used to do. He was sitting on the back side of the goalie waiting to bury the puck and he did it quite effectively. Very quick and no hesitation. Anyone can score in the juniors if they have talent. It's the instincts and hockey intelligence that helps kids make it in the NHL. Obviously physical tools help too but you have to have that mental make up to make it at the next level(s).

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
If he was 6 ft 195 lbs we would all be talking about how he will make the team. The style of game he plays will not translate to the NHL because of his size. Hopefully he grows a good bit or simply proves me wrong. He is at least 2 years away from any NHL action imo.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 09:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It's one thing to maximize talent against teenagers, most of whom never advance past the WHL ... that's a feat Tootoo managed to pull off offensively. It's a different matter to get space and time against NHL caliber defenders and corral rebounds from NHL goalies.

The talent and offensive fire are there. I see a definite need for him to work hard with the strength and conditioning coaches so he can hold his own against AHL and NHL sized defenders in the greasy areas and take the beatings of that come with going to the slot. He'll need to continue to work on his quickness and reaction times to deal with defenders and goalies that can close lanes and apparent shooting holes much faster than the kids he faces now.

I don't want him to follow the career path of Casey Pierro-Zabotel ... 115 pts in the WHL, now spending most of his time in the ECHL with the occasional callups to the AHL. Tyler Johnson and Linden Vey both put up 115+ pts in the WHL in 10-11, now have 14 NHL games combined at ages 22 and 23. Johnson and Vey are putting up decent AHL numbers in their two seasons since juniors ... doing that work needed to advance to the next level that Leipsic needs also ... and following similar career paths to what we can best hope for out of Leipsic. Play every year of junior eligibility, go to the AHL for 2-3 years, then maybe start seeing some NHL ice. If he negotiates those progress gates faster, great ... but I'm not counting on it.
Yeah, he could be the next Haydar except most of the time it's the skating that hold players like that back. His skating is one of his strengths. He has way better hands than Tootoo as well.

I'm not saying he's a lock, just saying that he's looking more and more like a really good prospect.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:27 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
If he was 6 ft 195 lbs we would all be talking about how he will make the team. The style of game he plays will not translate to the NHL because of his size. Hopefully he grows a good bit or simply proves me wrong. He is at least 2 years away from any NHL action imo.
Plenty of players his size in the NHL, as long as he can skate good enough to overcome his size, and speed is not his problem.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Nothing Is New

Hope he's great, but a lot of the Portland players put up big offensive numbers last year. Much of the time these guys have a coordination and quickness edge at the WHL etc. level that evaporates at the AHL/NHL level. Old Thrasher and Preds (played briefly for both) fans might remember Simon Gamache - 184 points QMJL. Nothing above that.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Gamache is one that was fast but couldn't overcome his size.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I will wait for judgement, after this CHL season.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 08:18 PM
RCola88

vCash: 459
Im iffy on him. I know he has skills in juniors but he was playing with two top forwards, so I think his numbers were a little inflated. Ive only watched him play in the Memorial cup against Halifax and he didn't stand out all that much. I want to be positive, but I just haven't seen enough of him yet. He has a high ceiling though, hope he can reach it.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote